Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

A thank you to Everton fans circa 1989

Read 4206 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      A thank you to Everton fans circa 1989
      Apr 14, 2009 06:58:27 pm
      Despite all the sh*te and venomous bile that comes out of the mouths of some poor attempts at Everton fans under the age of about 25, personally I don't think many Liverpool fans will forget their support back in 1989 when we really were a city proud to be called Merseysiders/Scousers/Liverpudlians (dare I say it).

The deterioration in relationship in the past 15 years has been pretty alarming, but for the Evertonians back then - your support to your fellow reds in the city was tremendous.

It's a shame that some of your websites and forums are run by the idiot element of your support, exacerbating the deterioration in relationships.

Well played Everton fans 1989.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2009 07:01:49 pm by CRK »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: A thankyou to Everton fans circa 1989
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2009 07:01:32 pm
      Spot on.

The relationship back then was something unheard of and I'm sure a lot of fans, on both sides, would like to see it return to former glories. Having said that, despite some of the more unsavoury whispers, from both sides, we're still on two sides of a unique rivalry.

Thank you Everton, in this hard time for Liverpool as a city and Liverpool as a football club.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: A thank you to Everton fans circa 1989
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2009 07:13:57 pm
      A freind of mine married a liverpool lass last year and on one of his trips up there the family was showing him photos of flags and banners that were on display before one of the all mersy cup finals one of them stood out (will the last person leaving for the game please turn off the lights ) and thats how it should still be rivalry yes not the bitterness though as tomorrow looms one thought is, somethings are more important, life itself.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2009 10:18:08 pm
      The chain of scarfs from Goodison to Anfield blue red blue red, amazing
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2009 11:07:13 pm
      I echo JD's thoughts.

Those Everton fans are always in our hearts and always in our souls. YNWA. I for one will never forget how the rivalries were put aside and our great city came together.

Thank you blues.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Apr 15, 2009 10:01:50 pm
      I think the rivalries have been put aside today too.

It was fantastic to see a vast number of Everton scarves and flags on the gates tonight. And also a full page ad in the Echo just to offer their condolences. A fantastic gesture from the club.

So in addition to saying thank you to Everton fans circa 1989, I'd also like to say thank you to Everton circa 2009.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2009 10:14:57 pm
      Like in all walks of life, there is good and bad.

Back then, Liverpool and Everton were United as a City.......Merseypride.

I saw quite a lot of Everton fans at Anfield today, it's these sort of circumstances where football is pushed to one side, and common sense prevails.

There are still quite a lot of 'good' blues....there not all bitter, just jealous  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2009 12:30:48 am
      I saw a couple of Everton scarves and shirts today, both in the crowd and on the pitch. They did themselves, their club and everything to do with Everton Football Club proud today.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2009 02:09:27 am
      From what i have heard and read, the majority of Everton fans have been fantastic. I think that some Everton fans have been affected in similar ways to some Liverpool fans. It seems to me that everyone knew at least 1 person who died in the disaster. Also, a huge thanks to "The Chosen One" for showing his respects to the 96 and their families.

Quick Reply