Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool: Post Match

Read 43187 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool: Post Match
      Reply #207: Apr 15, 2009 03:05:44 am
      We might not have qualified but we can be really proud of the team last night. We showed great character that we can even come back from 3-0, 3-1 or 2-0 down in football games. We showed that it isn't over till the final whistle.

I personally feel that we played much much better than Chelsea did. Their goals came out of no where and they were getting their free kicks too easily. It was also a pity that we threw away a 2 goal lead. It was amazing that the boys kept fighting for a goal even though it was 4-4 with 3 minutes left. I've never been so proud.

We needed to score 3 and we got 4. The team also turned a 3-2 deficit into a 4-3 lead for a brief time. And we did all without Steven Gerrard.

We didn't concede from a corner :D No blaming zonal marking. And I think you can safely assume that we got that penalty because of man to man marking.

Now it's time to focus on the Premier League. Heads up guys, we played much better than Chelsea at their home ground and we were very close.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #208: Apr 15, 2009 03:49:13 am
      I missed it, again. I'm borderline suicidal after missing 2 in a row and both corkers. I watched the highlights and it seemed to be another classic night full of highs and lows but whats most important is we showed so much character without Steven.

All in all, would it have been victory or loss, we now focus on remembering those who lost their lives while doing what we were a matter of hours ago.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #209: Apr 15, 2009 04:18:11 am
      this match will will ber talked about for years rivals instanbul. if stevie had played might have won it. we hold up our head high. the referee sealed the win for chelsea
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #210: Apr 15, 2009 04:31:03 am
      I am a little or tiny bit disappointed I will admit, twice we had them on the ropes and we couldn't get the killer blow, it we would of went 3-0 up or ever 5-3 up at the end we would of went through but overall I am proud of the guys for their display. When they went 3-2 we could of rolled over and died but again we shown character and fought to make a game of it but in the end we couldn't stop them when we committed too many people up field and took of Javi for Riera.

Again we shown we can play without Gerrard for the 100th time, sure the team is better with the best player in the line-up but again prove we can do something without him. Also the fact to score 4 goals away with our best striker frankly has a sh*t game is pretty amazing. I hope this can spur us on to the fight for the Premiership. We got two games in 5 days and with the weekend off because of the FA Cup I hope to see us ready and raring to go.
      Roland G
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #211: Apr 15, 2009 05:17:27 am
      Great team effort and support from the fans. What a rollercoaster ride. It could have been better, we were almost there. Take heart lads!
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #212: Apr 15, 2009 05:48:19 am
      I feel really proud of the players today for the way they represented the fans and in particular the spirit they showed in memory of the 96.

In the same way the fans responded on that day joining together to save lives, the boys stuck together until the final whistle, and never at any point gave up. Sadly, they also came up short, as did 96 of their brothers and sisters 20 years prior. This match however gave us a reminder that our "never give up spirit" makes us the most respected and feared club ever to play the beautiful game.
      After the second goal went in we were actually favourites, the players had given us every chance of pulling out an incredible win. Then in the second half, even after 3 Chelsea strikes, we came again, and again, and again, and amazingly when we went 4-3 up in the 81st minute I thought we were favourites once again.  
      Because of the spirit at this club, the way we finish matches meant we were easily capable of one more.
      Although it wasn't meant to be, I am proud of the effort, the boys have reminded the world once again that it is never over until the final whistle when you are playing against this proud and mighty club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #213: Apr 15, 2009 05:54:10 am
      Actually quite a fantastic result considering the players and everyone associated with Liverpool FC had the Hillsborough Anniversary in their minds.

Well done Liverpool. You've done us proud. I'm pretty sure not many teams could have done that when they're 3-1 down on aggregate from the first leg. You kept fighting and all we needed was 1 single goal when were 2-0 and 4-3 up.

This proves that we can do it, if we believe. Bring number 19 home now :)
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #214: Apr 15, 2009 06:50:59 am
      Great great great game last night,it was nail biting stuff from the first to the last minute,even though we lost we showed some great character on the field.Well done red men you did the 96 proud.

YNWA!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #215: Apr 15, 2009 07:08:48 am
      This match was only at half time, and I said earlier it needed a team performance to get anything from the game and we almost pulled it off, No Gerrrard and in my opinion Not much from Torres either ! but what a performance!
      there were earlier comments from the commentator that the ref being spanish might favour Liverpool but I think Chelski had him in there back pocket, and Drogba well F**k me what a disgrace how a player can roll back on to the pitch in order to gt the game stopped and not be penalised for it is beyond me ! :f_steam:
      the team stood up and gave us all a game to be poud of, Result aside a neutral would have been happy to watch it and for me it rates along side the '05 final and the two Newcastle games in my mind !
      anyhow today is for the 96 so I'm signing off !
      B.F.N.!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #216: Apr 15, 2009 08:12:59 am
      Only Liverpool FC can pull this kinda things off.

I'm pretty sure if it was another team that had lost 3-1 at home in the first leg, they'd never do what we achieved last night.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #217: Apr 15, 2009 09:12:23 am
      Only Liverpool FC can pull this kinda things off.

I'm pretty sure if it was another team that had lost 3-1 at home in the first leg, they'd never do what we achieved last night.
      Like Bayern against Barca. Sure, they went down 4-0, but they hardly showed any real heart in the second leg. Even had we gone down 4-0 in the first leg, we would still have gone out and performed.

We will continue to walk on...
      With hope in our hearts.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #218: Apr 15, 2009 09:38:59 am
      That was a brilliant performance even if we didn't go through. There are many positives that you can take from the match, like our fighting spirit for example. We never ever gave up, and we kept going till the last seconds of the match. We also managed to score 4 goals again.

I am so proud of the fans, the players for having the right attitude throughout the game, and they all did everyone proud.

And there is a silver lining to this cloud, we can concentrate on the PL and give it our all now!

YNWA
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #219: Apr 15, 2009 09:42:14 am
      Yea. We are one of the few teams in the world that can tell ourselves - Yes we can come back into the game, it is not over yet. Personally I feel that almost everyone in our team is a leader that is why our mentality is strong.

We put up a very great fight yesterday and although we missed the Istanbul Part I, we also came very close to Istanbul Part II. However, as much as I felt we needed goals our defence could not be neglected. And i'm also going to point the finger at the referee for giving Chelsea too many cheap kicks, and dangerous. He was a chelsea fan the whole thing, and constant delay in the second half and we got 3 minutes of extra time? It should have been 6-7.

I'm not gonna complain about the lads still because everyone was up for it. We did our best, even without Steven. But we must realise that after getting so close to coming back, the goal to get is for us is the most crucial. We are out of the competition with our heads held high, because we are just not fated to win it this year. But still we gave Chelsea a run for their money, and even prompted Hiddink to subsitute as early as the 35th min.

Walk on with hope in our hearts.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #220: Apr 15, 2009 10:14:12 am
      We scored 4 at UTD and now 4 at Chelsea and some people still dont think we are progressing. What a fantastic effort absolutely proud as always. Now we have a week to prepare for a bigger game Arsenal at home. Lets hope they win tonight and on Saturday then they wont fancy coming to Anfield with us waiting to get at them. Why after giving the penalty which was bang on did the Ref decide to award every free kick to Chelsea.Come on you REDS cant wait for Arsenal.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #221: Apr 15, 2009 10:28:06 am
      a real classic the referee won it for them chelsea trying utd tactics. i hope this  bad karma comes back to bite them  we have fought a good fight now  lets  concentrate on the league.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #222: Apr 15, 2009 10:34:15 am
      We've scored 4 goals or more in 5 of out last 7 matches. Let's hope it continues.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #223: Apr 15, 2009 10:37:50 am
      Joe Cole is pissing me right off, saying Cole would do a good job against Messi?! Cole was sh*te tonight like he always is.

Think he's banned for the first game? If he's the best left back Fabio can find for England GOD HELP THE FUTURE OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL!! :tosser:
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2009 10:39:39 am by Bpatel »
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #224: Apr 15, 2009 10:38:53 am
      A few days before the match, I dreamt it would be a 4-4 draw, 7-5 on aggregate. I told myself if that happens, it would be heartbreaking.

When the final whistle was blown last night, I was exhausted, but far from disappointed. Yes, it's a pity we didn't make it through, when we were this close. But it seemed it just wasn't meant to be.

It doesn't matter, though. I'm so proud of the lads, they put up a real fight, never gave up, even with all the odds stacked against them. Many teams, I think, wouldn't have shown the same fighting spirit when they are two, three goals down. But they kept pushing, with their burning never-say-die attitude, trying their best to score that vital goal. We were the better team, no matter what the results say. They simply blew me away last night.
      What a team.
      And what fans. Always supporting the boys, win or lose. It's heartwarming to see all these posts, backing the team no matter what the results. Proud to be a RED.

YNWA
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #225: Apr 15, 2009 10:44:16 am
      If we continue to show the spirit and that never-say-die attitude in our last 6 games in the league, we'll win the league.

I'm sure of it.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #226: Apr 15, 2009 10:57:46 am
      As the final whistle blew in SB it was very early morning here in Nepal.  Had troule sleeping with the bad result but as I woke later on, I felt really proud and we all can hold our heads up high. Really Proud of our Team.  Fantastic support by the travelling Fans.  Very Happy to have chosen the best football team to support. 
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #227: Apr 15, 2009 11:02:43 am
      firstly i would like to congratulate our boys for showing them chels**te what a true fighting spirit we have. kudos to the players for their never letting their emotions gets the better of them. we have showed them what a team liverpool football club is. we don't have the resources they have, we don't have the line up of stars they have but we have the gut,devotion,fighting spirit,dedication and sacrifice that they will never have. i hope barca will teach them a lesson of football like we taught barca and madrid...and let's pray to god that porto will slaughter the mancs s***e
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #228: Apr 15, 2009 11:09:03 am
      for everyone at this club well done.

what a performance! speaks volumes for this club.

did you see the look on hiddinks face? when we went 2 up,quality.

love this club.
      well done the redmen,also a big thank you to the supporters.

y.n.w.a
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #229: Apr 15, 2009 11:22:01 am
      firstly, a fantastic effort by the lads and not necessarily the fairytale ending we all hoped for. the supporters were absolutely amazing, and their voices were heard all the way down under...and once again, out singing the home crowd.
      even though chelsea's goals didnt come from their own class (accept for the free kick), we should have parked a bus out the front of our goals at 2-0 until the 70th minute, and then gone all out attack and put them away.
      the one disappointing thing is this: holding the lead in both legs, dominating the match, and then not reaping the results at the end of the match... that is still burning me as we speak.
      Another thing pissing me off is those fkn ignorant chelsea supporters carrying on as if they've won a fkn treble...ive never hated that team and their supporters so much in my life until now...
      The one thing ive realised, which has also been repeated by fellow supporters on the forum is this... I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO PROUD TO SUPPORT A CLUB LIKE LIVERPOOL...THE CULTURE, THE HISTORY, THE PRIDE, THE CAMARADERIE SHOWN BY ALL IS PHENOMENAL.
      LIVERPOOL TILL I DIE... YNWA

Quick Reply