Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool v Arsenal - Pre Match Thread

Read 36370 times
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #23: Apr 16, 2009 08:34:37 pm
      Stating the obvious its a must win game. If we can hang on till May Utd have City Wigan Midd/boro and Tottenham and i think they will drop points in at least 1 of these games. We will be rested for the Arsenal game with Stevie having had 2 weeks of he should be flying and I honestly believe the squad were moved by yesterdays events and will be inspired to do everything they can to win the league. If Arsenal win on Sat 4th place is theres now will they be that bothered about tuesday,but with no pressure on them they could be very dangerous.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #24: Apr 17, 2009 12:34:25 am
      MUST WIN GAME...... I am hoping for the FA Cup game between Arsenal & Chelsea goes to pens and Chelsea win as it will dent they confidence... Gerrard will be the difference.... He will need to be on the pitch 90 mins in order to win this game as its that hole where we can exploit Arsenal. Our back 4 will need to be top form too.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: Apr 17, 2009 12:38:16 am
      Arsenal have good players but they lack what Liverpool have in abundance, a spine. I say we will beat them comfortably by 3.
      zzlamezz123
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 17, 2009 12:12:07 pm
      MUST WIN GAME...... I am hoping for the FA Cup game between Arsenal & Chelsea goes to pens and Chelsea win as it will dent they confidence... Gerrard will be the difference.... He will need to be on the pitch 90 mins in order to win this game as its that hole where we can exploit Arsenal. Our back 4 will need to be top form too.
      I hope that happens too. If it goes to ET then it will drain Arsenal player's energy. If we can get the Gerrard-Torres partnership clicking again, i think we should win this comfortably ;D
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #27: Apr 17, 2009 12:12:24 pm
      they play with pace and we must counter them with pace also

my preferred line ups

reina
      arbeloa   skrtel      agger     insua

yossi      masch     alonso     riera

gerrard

torres
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #28: Apr 17, 2009 12:38:26 pm
      they play with pace and we must counter them with pace also

my preferred line ups

reina
      arbeloa   skrtel      agger     insua

yossi      masch     alonso     riera

gerrard

torres

No carragher?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #29: Apr 17, 2009 01:00:40 pm
      It seems for the first time in a long time we can have a debate about a best 11. We now have 15 or 16 players vying for a spot its got to be good news. No Carragher and no Kuyt what odds would you get on that Macca8
      Riena Arbeloa Carragher Skyrtl Aurelio Mascherano Alonso Kuyt Riera Gerrard Torres.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,649 posts | 6945 
      Reply #30: Apr 17, 2009 01:03:56 pm
      We owe Arsenal one after taking 2 points off us earlier this season.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #31: Apr 17, 2009 01:07:42 pm
      it's just an opinion. i said yossi because he can run into defenders and break their defence...agger with his performance against blackburn i think he should be given another start...but hey it's just an opinion.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #32: Apr 17, 2009 01:16:21 pm
      You have to have Carragher and Kuyt in the starting XI
      Here's mine :

-----------------------------------REINA---------------------------------------

ARBELOA--------CARRAGHER-------------SKRTEL------------------AURELIO

---------------------ALONSO-----------MASCHERANO------------------------

KUYT-------------------------GERRARD---------------------------------RIERA

---------------------------------TORRES---------------------------------------

If Gerrard is still injured, Yossi should be in that position instead, if not maybe on the left instead of Riera

We should have taken 3 points from the emirates. Turns out that goal was the high point of keane's short anfield career, but it was still 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained.

Yet again, a MUST win game and probably the toughest game left in our season, so if we get this out the way we can look forward to man u having to play them 3 times in the same amount of weeks.

Come on redmen!!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #33: Apr 17, 2009 01:43:21 pm
      Time to state the obvious - must win.

The lads will know this and I don't think they'll be affected by what happened against Chelsea because they gave it their all and done every Liverpool fan proud. They'll take heart from that game and be fired up for this one against Arsenal. As for Arsenal well they are finding form and are playing probably as well as they have all season with their best players returning from injuries, but after such a convincing win for them in midweek it might be a case of "after the Lord Mayor's parade" for them. I'm sure they will be high on confidence but could suffer from complanacy.

We can't give Arsenal space because that's how they punish you. That's why they tend to have a good record against the big three, because it's where they're given more room to play their own game. On Tuesday though we need to be in their faces from the off, not allow them to settle and keep them panicked. Defensively they're sh*te, god knows who'll be their centre half pairing with Gallas and Djorou out (I think). So it'll be Toure and one other, don't know who, probably Tweetie Pie. That's where we need to capitilise. Torres running at them, putting the fear of god into them and if Almunia isn't fit, then it should be a shoot on sight day. Put that young keeper, Fabianski, under pressure.

Selection wise I'd have the same team that started against Chelsea with Gerrard instead of Lucas.
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #34: Apr 17, 2009 02:09:21 pm
      Time to state the obvious - must win.

The lads will know this and I don't think they'll be affected by what happened against Chelsea because they gave it their all and done every Liverpool fan proud. They'll take heart from that game and be fired up for this one against Arsenal. As for Arsenal well they are finding form and are playing probably as well as they have all season with their best players returning from injuries, but after such a convincing win for them in midweek it might be a case of "after the Lord Mayor's parade" for them. I'm sure they will be high on confidence but could suffer from complanacy.

We can't give Arsenal space because that's how they punish you. That's why they tend to have a good record against the big three, because it's where they're given more room to play their own game. On Tuesday though we need to be in their faces from the off, not allow them to settle and keep them panicked. Defensively they're sh*te, god knows who'll be their centre half pairing with Gallas and Djorou out (I think). So it'll be Toure and one other, don't know who, probably Tweetie Pie. That's where we need to capitilise. Torres running at them, putting the fear of god into them and if Almunia isn't fit, then it should be a shoot on sight day. Put that young keeper, Fabianski, under pressure.

Selection wise I'd have the same team that started against Chelsea with Gerrard instead of Lucas.

Fully agree with all that mate, we give them too much space and we're done for, because they are a team with very good and solid attacking mentality but defensively their sh*te. There's alot of creativity in the arsenal midfield there but they have been really lacking a solid DM and this is where Gerrard has to come into place and exploit the weakness, through the centre. With Gallas, Djourou and Sagna and Clichy and now Gibbs out, I have no idea how Wenger's coming up with his backfour. I reckon we have the ability to tear them into sheds, but we must keep our defence in top shape, that is the priority.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #35: Apr 17, 2009 04:03:01 pm
      Rafa has brought his team to peak form just as he wanted in th elast 12 games of the season. They are ultra confident and I am sure that whoever plays will be raring to go come Tuesday night. It is also a chance to go back top so what more incentive do we need to put on a performance again. Lets hope for a tough Semi final for Arsenal and a win leaving them flat for Tuesday.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Apr 17, 2009 04:06:38 pm
      it's just an opinion. i said yossi because he can run into defenders and break their defence...agger with his performance against blackburn i think he should be given another start...but hey it's just an opinion.

You mean their rock solid, injury free defense?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #37: Apr 17, 2009 04:28:42 pm
      Given the latest crap from Ferguson I would love it if we really turned them over then he would set his sights on Wenger. Maybe Wenger will put out his reserves just to piss off Ferguson resting his stars for the Cl semi. Theres a thought.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #38: Apr 17, 2009 04:39:46 pm
      If we get the early goal... then they have to come at us. With that much space behind, I won't be surprise if Arsenal becomes another Bolton. But the early goal is the key. 
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #39: Apr 17, 2009 09:50:33 pm
      Don't forget we have a good rest and Arsenal play in the FA cup tomorrow.
      Gives us time to prepare.
      Another bonus, it looks like Arsenal have 4th place wrapped up and i don't think they can really catch the top 3 so the league will be their lowest priority at the moment.
      seanbud_1
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -3 
      Reply #40: Apr 17, 2009 11:08:30 pm
      I am 100% sure of a win 4-0 or 4-1 i can see the gunners getting one past Reina because they are a good team ish but we have this in the bag, if im wrong then ill kiss my own end.

(H8TRED for Drogba)  :f_steam:  :mad:
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,848 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #41: Apr 17, 2009 11:39:41 pm
      The number of  goals we have scored lately will put the wind up wengerboys,we are sound defensively ( i would prefer agger ) we more than match them midfield ..masch and xabi to star and contain fabregas and co. nando will be eager to add to his total ..pepe reins ..i think he is as good as casillas and our defence trust him
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #42: Apr 18, 2009 08:33:46 am
      Arsenal are going through a hard time with injuries right now. Gallas is out for sure, Alumina is still out with a ankle injury, Djourou is hurt, Clichy has back issues, Gibbs has an injury as well and some are saying Sanga could miss out with a injury as well so who know what players on he back-line we will be facing.

Also rumors on RAWK Gerrard will miss out and could be also out for the trip to Hull so we will have to wait and see
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #43: Apr 18, 2009 09:11:07 am

Also rumors on RAWK Gerrard will miss out and could be also out for the trip to Hull so we will have to wait and see

STEVEN GERRARD INJURY UPDATE
      Paul Eaton 18 April 2009 
        Liverpool today confirmed Steven Gerrard faces at least another week on the sidelines as he continues to recover from a strain in his adductor muscle. 
      The Reds' skipper aggravated the injury ahead of the clash with Chelsea in midweek, and has now been ruled out of Liverpool's Premier League fixture with Arsenal on Tuesday night.

"In the training session before the Champions League game at Chelsea, Steven Gerrard unfortunately aggravated a small strain he had previously suffered in his adductor muscle," confirmed a club spokesman.

"A scan has since confirmed our medical team's initial diagnosis and the player is expected to be out for between seven and ten days.

"In the meantime, Steven will continue to receive intensive treatment on the injury at Melwood."

From LFC website
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #44: Apr 18, 2009 09:49:57 am
      Damn.

We could have done with Gerrard, but to be honest I think we showed we're fully capable of scoring goals without him on Tuesday.
      KidBlink56
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #45: Apr 18, 2009 09:52:11 am
      Well, that was fast. :)

However, I absolutely agree. This is probably the toughest match we have left.........

I agree with you except that I think that Tottenham will be a tough one. On paper Arsenal is the last big challenge, but with Robbie Keane and them beating us twice this season plus the effect it will have on the title race I think that'll be a fairly emotionally charged match.

Quick Reply