Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

Read 3663 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Sheffield Wednesday Football Club
      Apr 15, 2009 11:15:44 pm
      I just visited the Sheffield Wednesday official website and I'm sad that they did virtually nothing on there to mark this anniversary. An update from yesterday saying that they wouldn't be having a service at the ground and that they would observe the silence. But nothing on today's updates. Quite sad and shocking really. I thought they might have done more.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Sheffield Wednesday Football Club
      Reply #1: Apr 15, 2009 11:17:14 pm
      I thought that too. Have Nottingham Forest done much? I was fairly suprised to not see many Nottingham Forest fans at the service today, unless they were there but not in their football shirts.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #2: Apr 15, 2009 11:19:59 pm
      This from the Forest website:

Remembering Hillsborough … 20 years on
       Wed 15 Apr 2009
      Nottingham Forest will be represented by Chief Executive Mark Arthur at the 20th Hillsborough anniversary service being held at Anfield this afternoon.

The inter-denominational service is taking place on the Kop, starting at 2.45pm and will include a two-minute silence at 3.06pm.

Liverpool directors, officials and players and thousands of other football fans will be present for the service.

The Forest flag will fly at half mast at The City Ground all day today and similar tributes are being made by Nottingham City Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council.

As a mark of respect for the 96 supporters who lost their lives in the FA Cup semi final disaster, the Forest players will wear black armbands for next Saturday's Championship game against Coventry City at The City Ground.

Paul Anderson, who, of course, is on loan from Liverpool to Forest, made his own personal tribute by wearing a black armband at last Saturday's game against Bristol City.

They also have a section where you can read fan's recollections...
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Apr 15, 2009 11:20:39 pm
      Ahh fair play.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #4: Apr 15, 2009 11:24:50 pm
      But not fair play to Sheffield Wednesday. I know they were asked not to have a service at the ground. Apparently they were opening the Leppings Lane today. I think that's a good thing. But they could have at least mentioned it on their updates for today, rather than talking about how it's time for them to bounce back and talking about ticket prices, on a day when football doesn't matter. In my opinion, and it's only my opinion, Sheffield Wednesday should have been determined to mark today.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 16, 2009 10:31:48 am
      Im sure i saw on the news a crowd of people in Nottingham yesterday?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #6: Apr 16, 2009 01:28:11 pm
      Wednesday were requested not to hold a service yesterday.

However, the memorial at Hillsborough was open (where I went after work) and there was a two minute silence at 3.06pm in the city centre.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2009 02:49:56 pm
      Im sure I saw on the news a crowd of people in Nottingham yesterday?

Yes there was, they held a minute's silence in the town's square.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2009 03:36:39 pm
      Wednesday were requested not to hold a service yesterday.

However, the memorial at Hillsborough was open (where I went after work) and there was a two minute silence at 3.06pm in the city centre.

I saw pictures of a two minutes silence outside the ground at the Hillsborough plaque, so fair play.

Quick Reply