Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

The Top English Trophy

Read 2064 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      The Top English Trophy
      Apr 18, 2009 05:42:29 pm
      What is considered the more "Prestigious" Title.. F.A Cup or Premiere League?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: The Top English Trophy
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2009 05:43:59 pm
      Is that a rhetorical question?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Apr 18, 2009 05:44:07 pm
      The Premier League is by far more prestigious.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #3: Apr 18, 2009 08:32:06 pm
      The Premier League is by far more prestigious.

Disagree, obviously the league is the top trophy, but if you use the word prestigious, then I would say it's the FA Cup, with all the history and that.

I personally don't like the Premier League trophy, give me the old Championship trophy any day of the week. 
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #4: Apr 18, 2009 09:46:41 pm
      Disagree, obviously the league is the top trophy, but if you use the word prestigious, then I would say it's the FA Cup, with all the history and that.

I personally don't like the Premier League trophy, give me the old Championship trophy any day of the week. 
      Ok, Let me rephrase the question. Which title would you rather see Liverpool Win. FA,Premier,Champions League.   I only ask because, being relatively new to the English Game,league structures their seems to be a load of Cups, Titles, Trophys etc...
      ColdEyes
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2009 10:22:24 pm
      The FA is more traditional than the Premier, however it's been a while that the Premier is the most 'important' one, as for most countries, the national league is the top. As for what I would rather see Liverpool win, that changes from season to season. The Champions League is the most important competition in Europe, but I would rather see Liverpool win the Premier this season, if I could make a choice, for the time we haven't won it, and because our player, specially Gerrard, deserve it.

But of course, this is my opinion.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 19, 2009 12:35:56 am
      The Title is the bread and butter...
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2009 07:03:38 am
      Calling it the Premier League or the First Division Title makes no difference to me.

I think that if you want to be called the best in the country you have to be champions of your country.
      « Last Edit: Apr 19, 2009 08:00:40 am by Shay »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #8: Apr 19, 2009 07:33:09 am
      I agree with Shay, the League is the one the top English clubs strive to win. In my opinion the F.A. Cup got devalued once they started playing the Semi's at Wembley and Scumchester decided it wasn't worth entering !
      I also think that the European Cup / CL has gone the same way in two ways firstly by allowing teams in that are not champions of there own country and secondly by turning it into a League.
      In my opinon changes in both competitions have been made for money reasons which in turn has lead to increase wages, and entry fees !
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Apr 19, 2009 08:46:31 am
      I agree with Shay, the League is the one the top English clubs strive to win. In my opinion the F.A. Cup got devalued once they started playing the Semi's at Wembley and Scumchester decided it wasn't worth entering !

Though I don't think what Manure want to do with the competition means anything to me about the value of the competition but I agree with the second point, it is simply a money maker to cover the huge debt under the FA but for me it more devalues the final than the competition as whole. The reason is the FA Cup is more about the little teams playing us big boys and that magic still there when upsets come alive.

I also think that the European Cup / CL has gone the same way in two ways firstly by allowing teams in that are not champions of there own country and secondly by turning it into a League.

I know what you are getting at but I don't agree with the point, I feel now the Champions League/European Cup as a competition is much harder to win than it was in the past. I remember a interview with Emlyn Hughes who said that the UEFA Cup was harder to win than the European Cup because there were more good sides in it. That is why you never seen a club yet to repeat as champions yet before there was always teams who won it packs in the 60's and 70's. It was much harder to get in in the past which is why some feel that it has lost it's sort of spirit which is true, it was more of a honor to be in the competition. I believe the only thing the Champions League devalues is the UEFA Cup which is trying to somehow find more value by making it into a Champions League sort of format. 
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #10: Apr 19, 2009 10:54:07 am
      For now its the EPL we're going for. Its far too long we've won it, its coming to 19 years now and its about time we broke the drought under Rafa's guidance.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #11: Apr 19, 2009 11:01:09 am
      If you're talking about importance then it has to be the league. As Shay said, to be considered the best in your country you have to be champions of your country.
      LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Apr 20, 2009 11:12:41 pm
      Definately Premier League

Quick Reply