Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Redknapp Quitting Rumour

Read 1733 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Redknapp Quitting Rumour
      Oct 03, 2009 10:47:09 pm
      Harry Redknapp and bookmakers at odds over Spurs quit rumour
      Gary Jacob October 3, 2009

Harry Redknapp has dismissed a rumour that he is to leave Tottenham Hotspur after bookmakers yesterday slashed the odds about him becoming the first Barclays Premier League manager this season to leave his post. William Hill cut their price from 50-1 to evens.

Wagers totalling thousands of pounds were placed on Redknapp’s departure with various bookmakers, and some stopped taking bets.

Redknapp initially made a joke about leaving the club “only for Bolton”, against whom his team play today, but he became more angered when pressed on the rumours.

“It’s absolute nonsense,” Redknapp said. “Crazy rumours. It goes on Twitter . . . I’m definitely not leaving. I couldn’t be happier than I am here. I had a couple of calls from friends asking what is happening, and I said: ‘Nothing’. It’s just nonsense.

“The chairman doesn’t want me to leave either. There are no forces from outside. Someone has started a rumour, rung a bookmaker and tried to have a bet. A bookmaker is trying to get some publicity.”

One explanation for the betting move was a rumour that Redknapp could return to Portsmouth if there is a takeover of the troubled club, who are bottom of the Barclays Premier League without a point.

“Someone said I was getting a group of investors and Michael Tabor [a racehorse owner] to buy Portsmouth,” he said. “Absolute rubbish, Michael’s not buying Portsmouth and I’m not going anywhere.”

Tottenham are fourth in the league, with 15 points from seven matches, so a move would be bizarre. “When things are going well someone will try and upset things,” Redknapp said.

Tottenham have five players, including Tom Huddlestone, Jermaine Jenas and Jermain Defoe, in England’s extended squad for their World Cup matches over the next ten days. Defoe should start today after the forward trained yesterday with a cast on his hand to protect the fingers he dislocated against Burnley last week.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article6859586.ece

Apparently the rumours might intensify tomorrow as the NOTW are preparing a big story regarding him and several transfers at Portsmouth.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Re: Redknapp Quitting Rumour
      Reply #1: Oct 03, 2009 11:17:03 pm
      And Ribery is still on his way to Liverpool.

Has scam written all over it.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #2: Oct 03, 2009 11:18:27 pm
      Just heard that his lawyers are fighting with Scum of the world to stop them posting the facts of him being paid for transfers, going as far back as Crouch to Villa in 2002. If the Scum are allowed to post it, he will almost definately have to leave Spurs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #3: Oct 03, 2009 11:28:50 pm
      Just heard that his lawyers are fighting with Scum of the world to stop them posting the facts of him being paid for transfers, going as far back as Crouch to Villa in 2002. If the Scum are allowed to post it, he will almost definately have to leave Spurs.

I've heard a similar rumour, although I've heard similar rumours since he was manager at West Ham and Portsmouth, allegedly involving bungs and his mate Peter Storrie.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #4: Oct 03, 2009 11:32:10 pm
      I've heard a similar rumour, although I've heard similar rumours since he was manager at West Ham and Portsmouth, allegedly involving bungs and his mate Peter Storrie.

Yeah mate but my mate who told me says that it has been getting investigated for a few years now.

Just been told also that his Lawyers lost the battle to keep it out the papers at about 7pm but somehow his lawyers got called back in at 21.55 to fight it again.

The scum of the world have had to print 2 different papers for tomorrow morning.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5: Oct 03, 2009 11:42:39 pm
      Yeah mate but my mate who told me says that it has been getting investigated for a few years now.

Just been told also that his Lawyers lost the battle to keep it out the papers at about 7pm but somehow his lawyers got called back in at 21.55 to fight it again.

The scum of the world have had to print 2 different papers for tomorrow morning.

I know, a few allegations appeared in a book called A Game Of Two Halves and there have been others. Especially as he has already been arrested before regarding financial irregularities.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #6: Oct 04, 2009 12:05:10 am
      I read something about him quitting yesterday but thought it made no sense.  Like why would he do that now?  I didn't think about this aspect though.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #7: Oct 04, 2009 12:34:39 am
      The man's a c*nt so the game would be better off without him, I hope the allegations are proven to be true.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #8: Oct 04, 2009 12:36:05 am
      Oh and by the way, take your ballbag of a son with you.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #9: Oct 04, 2009 12:38:15 am
      Am I the only one reading this story and thinking it stinks like Ferguson?  I guarantee old whiskey tits has the ear of someone at the FA and keeping Spurs and Redknapp in the middle of a controversy is just something he would do.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #10: Oct 04, 2009 12:47:20 am
      Am I the only one reading this story and thinking it stinks like Ferguson?  I guarantee old whiskey tits has the ear of someone at the FA and keeping Spurs and Redknapp in the middle of a controversy is just something he would do.
      Mate there are certain people who seem to be protected from media pressure. Anyone associated with LFC who follows the traditional LFC conduct, seems to invite critiscm. If Rafa did what Fergiescum did on the touchline today, it would be headline negative press in the morning.We have never been forgiven for the success of our city musically and football wise in the 60's,70's and 80's,and we never will.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #11: Oct 04, 2009 01:38:11 am
      I wasn't able to see the match, I know that the Mancs, as usual squeezed some points from a loss. Did Fergie steal another match?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #12: Oct 04, 2009 01:46:00 am
      I wasn't able to see the match, I know that the Mancs, as usual squeezed some points from a loss. Did Fergie steal another match?

Not this time.  He's thrown his toys out of the pram a bit.  There's a thread about it here:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=23460.0

If I've not linked properly the thread is called "Fergie slams 'unfit Wiley'" on the general footy board

Quick Reply