Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who has been Liverpool's weakest link this season?

Pepe Reina
      (9.1%)
      John Arne Riise
      (27.3%)
      Mark Gonzalez
      (0%)
      Jermaine Pennant
      (36.4%)
      Luis Garcia
      (27.3%)
      Peter Crouch
      (0%)

Our biggest weak link this season?

Read 3046 times
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts |
      Our biggest weak link this season?
      Jan 08, 2007 03:50:46 pm
      I would like to do a poll but i don't know how to do it on here.. unless someone can edit this post and put a poll in i would be very thankfull.

Who has been the biggest weak link for Liverpool this season in the most used starting line ups and why?

Pepe Reina
      John Arne Riise
      Mark Gonzalez
      Jermaine Pennant
      Luis Garcia
      Peter Crouch

My vote goes to John Arne Riise, he is only 25 but instead of getting better he seems to be getting worse. He always looks for an ambitious shot which really frustrates me.. commentators always go on about after he hits a shot how John Arne Riise can hit them but how many of them does he score.. even hit the target?
      He can't defend that well either.. he is not a lb more like a lm player but this season he has not impressed many.
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Re: Our biggest weak link this season?
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2007 04:02:09 pm
      my vote goes to reina he can never catch a cross and the incident with andrew johnson 2nd goal was just stupidity
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2007 04:23:17 pm
      my vote goes to any player who walks off that pitch and hasn't given it 100%.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 08, 2007 05:50:58 pm
      Mark Gonzalez
      Jermaine Pennant
      they have been poor this season
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4: Jan 08, 2007 07:17:05 pm
      i'll get hammered for this but im saying it anyway, for the first ten games or so it was....Steven Gerrard, when we were playing poorly we needed our captain to stand up and be counted and he didn't, he wasn't performing his duties as a captain, such as keeping the heads up when we went behind, keep encouraging the team, the games when we needed him most such as chelsea, arsenal, utd he didn't perform for us.

But after the first 10 games or so i would have to say it has been pennant, not been doing what we bought him for. (beating his man getting a good cross in) but recently his performances have improved.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Jan 08, 2007 07:42:10 pm
      Reina and Gonzalez, Reina has me worried everytime theres any sort of action in the goal mouth, especially set pieces, he doesnt give me any confidence at all and i wait for him to f*ck it up everytime grrr...  Gonzalez just hasnt adapted to the Prem i'm afraid, but maybe i'm judging him a little too early, so i'm prepared to wait before i cast judgement on him.      ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Jan 08, 2007 10:01:51 pm
      my vote goes to any player who walks off that pitch and hasn't given it 100%.

Totally concur. However I really think until the match against Boltinon Pennant had been pretty poor, we saw another lack lustre performance against Arsenail. For me he has not been what we paid all that money for plain and simple fact.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 08, 2007 10:27:42 pm
      I'll get hammered for this but im saying it anyway, for the first ten games or so it was....Steven Gerrard, when we were playing poorly we needed our captain to stand up and be counted and he didn't, he wasn't performing his duties as a captain, such as keeping the heads up when we went behind, keep encouraging the team, the games when we needed him most such as chelsea, arsenal, utd he didn't perform for us.

But after the first 10 games or so I would have to say it has been pennant, not been doing what we bought him for. (beating his man getting a good cross in) but recently his performances have improved.

Most accurate post I have read for a long while.  Gerrard was absent for the start of the season.  When he is great he is the best in the world, but he wasn't earning his wages those first couple of months of the season.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2007 11:16:46 pm
      We had alot of players not earning their money in the first couple of months of the season,

Gerrard, Reina, Alonso, Garcia, Pennent, Gonzalez, Riise, Bellemy were all poor, thats half a team at any one time (with Rara's rotation!!) So I think a good second half of the season, with no International tournaments in the Summer! and we can carry that form over into next season, because next season there can be no excuses, we have to start better to mount a serious challenge!
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2007 11:52:24 pm
      certain players spring to mind as underachievers this season, players who promise so much but are failing to perform consistently week in week out - although rotation has some part to play in this. Bellamy, Crouch, Pennant are the main culprits, all brilliant in small doses but no where near consistent enough. ok, Bellamy & Pennant are still 'settling in' as are Gonzales & Agger (who i've been impressed with). Crouch has no excuse. For me, the team as a whole needs to be held accountable for poor performances, especially away from home. the senior figures in the side should be standing up to be counted, leading by example & showing the sort of commitment that has made this great club what it is.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Jan 09, 2007 12:55:26 am
      You missed Aurelio! He gets my vote!!!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Jan 09, 2007 12:59:35 am
      There have been several who havn't earned their wages this year including Gerrard(has improved as the season goes on) Pennant, Alonso(too inconsistent) Reina, Garcia, Gonzalez and Crouch. My vote for weak link goes to Riise who has looked out of his depth at left back. This is were I feel Rafa needs to bring someone in as Warnock who I think is better than Riise in defence is too injury prone. I would give Riise a run left wing as Gonzalez hasn't settled in and Garcia well need I say more.

Players like Zenden and Aurelio aren't liverpool players and have also been weak links and aren't fit to sit on the bench when the likes of God can't even make the squad. Apart from left back the midfield has been the most disappointing aspect this season especially without momo!
      scousesaz06
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 09, 2007 12:24:07 pm
      Jermaine Pennant has been the poorest out of the lot of them think we wer deffo ripped of by the brummys :(

cant understand y zenden is not in the poll tho
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: Jan 09, 2007 12:44:33 pm
      My vote would go to the normally reliable John Arne Riise and to a lesser extent Steve Finnan, we just seem to invite crosses into the box
      all the time.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #14: Jan 09, 2007 01:11:15 pm
      I think alot of you who are saying Stevie are forgetting he was playing wide right for the start of the season which isnt his best posiition, since he's been back in the centre he's been quaility, my vote goes for the wingers (or anybody who plays out wide for us) as they always seem to struggle no matter who it is, maybe as we havent really played with wingers before the rest of the players airnt using them like they should be used so they all struggle??

I cant wait for Kewell to come back as i think we've reaslly missed him!!

scousesaz06
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2007 03:18:37 pm
      i cant wait 4 kewell 2 cum bk either any ideas when he is bk any1?  :P
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #16: Jan 09, 2007 08:57:58 pm
      can we add Dudek to this poll PLEASE
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #17: Jan 09, 2007 11:07:54 pm
      You missed Aurelio! He gets my vote!!!

can we add Dudek to this poll PLEASE

I think we were concentrating on players who have had a decent run in the side.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #18: Jan 09, 2007 11:08:59 pm
      I cant wait 4 kewell 2 cum bk either any ideas when he is bk any1?  :P

Yes fellow reds.  Believe it or not (and not so long ago you would have been rubbing your eyes in disbelief) but it really has come to this ;)

In answer to your question - He will probably be fit for the European Cup Final and then go off after 10 mins.

Quick Reply