Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

How big a stadium do we need

Read 77561 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: How big a stadium do we need
      Reply #299: Nov 30, 2011 01:09:34 am
      Youv'e got more commitment and soul for the club Yank than half of the prawn sandwiches sitting there on Saturdays.
      Im a sixties/seventies Kopite ...23,000 all in one end.
      I am privileged ... especially as that is part of our history and can never be brought back.

The Spirit of The Kop Lives On.

That means if you believe ......you are there.

Sing YNWA.  Watch Kenny on the touchline. Cry just once.
      It doesnt matter where you are. If you have it ...you know it.
      Good lord...I can even imagine being at Anfield then.  Sitting in the KOP and seeing Shankly or Paisley standing on the touchline.

I just dont understand how people can go to the match at Anfield and not be in awe of it all.  You dont even have to be a supporter, just a fan of Football in general too appreciate the grounds. Its history, the architecture and design. 

When I finally do make the trip and see my first match at Anfield,  I'll be able to hold that over the heads of my friends here in the States. They can go too any stadium anywhere, and as soon as I say..."Yeah, well I sat in the KOP for 90 minutes and watched Liverpool play" thats it, end of the discussion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #300: Nov 30, 2011 02:53:38 pm
      Good lord...I can even imagine being at Anfield then.  Sitting in the KOP and seeing Shankly or Paisley standing on the touchline.

I just dont understand how people can go to the match at Anfield and not be in awe of it all.  You dont even have to be a supporter, just a fan of Football in general too appreciate the grounds. Its history, the architecture and design. 

When I finally do make the trip and see my first match at Anfield,  I'll be able to hold that over the heads of my friends here in the States. They can go too any stadium anywhere, and as soon as I say..."Yeah, well I sat in the KOP for 90 minutes and watched Liverpool play" thats it, end of the discussion.

Nice sentiments, just to point out you'd of been standing on the Kop back then, not sitting!
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #301: Nov 30, 2011 09:38:38 pm
      Nice sentiments, just to point out you'd of been standing on the Kop back then, not sitting!

Would have been sitting in piss, from what I've read! haha :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #302: Dec 01, 2011 11:22:58 pm

Just re-roll out the echo's and sit on them!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #303: Dec 02, 2011 06:45:27 am
      Yes but it was piss from men who were true REDS,the aroma was part of the atmosphere.I believe they employed Evertonians to pick up the sodden Echos after the match and they reused them at Goodison to wrap up the pork pies.You see in those days it was the only way Everton could take the piss out of us.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #304: Dec 02, 2011 09:51:40 pm
      55000-60000
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #305: Dec 05, 2011 09:24:12 am
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #306: Jan 05, 2012 05:59:43 am
      65000-70000

For BIG matches it'd sell out, and for regular league fixtures it's be over 3/4 full
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #307: Jan 07, 2012 11:40:31 pm
      60000 is fine id say
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #308: Jan 09, 2012 01:14:00 am
      Yes but it was piss from men who were true REDS,the aroma was part of the atmosphere.I believe they employed Evertonians to pick up the sodden Echos after the match and they reused them at Goodison to wrap up the pork pies.You see in those days it was the only way Everton could take the piss out of us.

Don't want to start us off with the al Kop stories eh Billy?

Ciggies always in yer top breast pocket otherwise you couldn't get to them for the rest of the match.

Always start with the barrier behind yer and a good looking dolly in front of yer to grab onto to went the Kop plunged forward.

It was not having a pot to piss in.... it was a pocket to piss in. Someone else's.

Theres more ....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #309: Jan 10, 2012 08:16:17 am
      Don't want to start us off with the al Kop stories eh Billy?

Ciggies always in yer top breast pocket otherwise you couldn't get to them for the rest of the match.

Always start with the barrier behind yer and a good looking dolly in front of yer to grab onto to went the Kop plunged forward.

It was not having a pot to piss in.... it was a pocket to piss in. Someone else's.

Theres more ....
      Skip,nice sentiments but there were not many dolly birds went to the match in those days,they would of had their arses felt something terrible,I only ever took my missus to Anfield once and that would of been in 1959,I had a date with her not realising we were playing .I rolled up with my RED and White scarf on and she said were are we going,I said Anfield but she did not mind That old Kop has so many memories it will be a shame if they ever dismantle it.Oh by the way I took my missus in the Anfield Road end just to be on the safe side.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #310: Jan 10, 2012 07:52:14 pm
      Skip,nice sentiments but there were not many dolly birds went to the match in those days,they would of had their arses felt something terrible,I only ever took my missus to Anfield once and that would of been in 1959,I had a date with her not realising we were playing .I rolled up with my RED and White scarf on and she said were are we going,I said Anfield but she did not mind That old Kop has so many memories it will be a shame if they ever dismantle it.Oh by the way I took my missus in the Anfield Road end just to be on the safe side.

That reminds me of a song Billy  ;)

Wives take this warning this Saturday morning
      bolt the back door tight and tie down the latch
      Cos he gobbled down his dinner like some derby winner
      with rossette and rattle and off to the match

Oh curse be the day that ever I marry a football fanatic
      and Liverpool at that !
      Cos the thing I've been dreading he comes to the Wedding
      dolled up in his scarf and his red & white hat

So the name that he gave to our first cild was Geoff Strong, Chris Lawler, Tom Smith,
      Gerry Byrne, Ian St John, Ron Yeats, Roger Hunt, Alun Evans, Peter Thompson,
      Emlyn Hughes, Tommy Lawrence, Ian Callaghan, Jones.

Now if you'd have been listening to the Priest at the Christening
      There was such a commotion it made me hair curl
      He said I'm here to baptise you and not criticise you
      but I think it's a terrible name for a girl !!

Wives take this warning this Saturday morning
      bolt the back door tight and tie down the latch
      Cos he gobbled down his dinner like some derby winner
      with rossette and rattle and off to the match

This song was based on a true story as when Liverpool won the cup in 1965 they actually named their little girl after the team  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Sorry for taking the thread off topic  :P
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #311: Jan 11, 2012 07:03:41 am
       Cas I recall the story of the baby being named after the F.A.Cup winning side in 1965,I must admit I did not recall it being a little girl.The excitement in and around Liverpool and Anfield in those days was out of this world.And we did not have wacky baccy in those days either nor did we need it to get our spirits up.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #312: Jan 11, 2012 07:22:51 am
       Cas I just realised Alun Evans and Emlyn Hughes were not L.F.C.players when we won the cup in 1965.The winning team was (DrumRoll please)Lawrence,Lawler,Byrne,Smith,Yeats,Stevenson,Callaghan,Strong,StJohn,Hunt,Thompson. No subs in those days..
                                            Sorry for keepingb the thread off topic but I felt I had to name the correct 11 who won us our first F.A.Cup.
      burnzyVII
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #313: Jan 27, 2012 03:45:46 pm
      Being honest, I think 60,000 would more than suffice for now. All you have to look at is how easy it currently is to get tickets. Even tomorrows game still has the odd few tickets for sale, when you'd have expected this to be a sell out instantly!
      martinviccars
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #314: Jan 27, 2012 05:41:08 pm

We would easily fill 70,000.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #315: Jan 30, 2012 08:34:47 pm
      60,000 nice..
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #316: Jan 31, 2012 02:54:17 am
      Being honest, I think 60,000 would more than suffice for now. All you have to look at is how easy it currently is to get tickets. Even tomorrows game still has the odd few tickets for sale, when you'd have expected this to be a sell out instantly!

easy..? I think they're all sold out but some become available late.. I may be wrong but from what I've gathered it isn't easy to get tickets.. I would think if NESV are going to give us a new stadium they should do it properly and have at least 65k seats, up to 75-80k
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #317: Jan 31, 2012 03:05:38 am
      easy..? I think they're all sold out but some become available late.. I may be wrong but from what I've gathered it isn't easy to get tickets.. I would think if NESV are going to give us a new stadium they should do it properly and have at least 65k seats, up to 75-80k

Due to planning permission, the amount of traffic in the area on a matchday and the need for better transport links, they can't.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #318: Feb 01, 2012 11:57:54 am
      You would think the council would see that an extra 10-15 thousand people attending the games would be beneficial to the local area even if they are day trippers
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #319: Feb 01, 2012 01:29:23 pm
      With Kenny going to bring us back to the top you will have an extra couple of thousand glory hunters jumping on board so go for the 75000!!
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #320: Feb 19, 2012 03:39:13 pm
      I'm not a regular reader of the forums on here so just stumbled across this topic due to the fact I'm having a nightmare getting tickets this season because I stupidly didn't get a membership in the summer and didn't realise tickets were only going on sale twice a season to members this season.

Anyway, I have felt I needed to reply due to the previous posts on Out Of Towners.

I actually agree that the more locals at the games the better despite being an OOT myself. To be honest, when I've been down to Anfield, the tourists actually annoy me a little bit despite the irony of me being from Scotland.
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/Smileys/newer/cheesy.gif

What I would say is that all OOTs aren't like they are described on here and other LFC forums.

I have supported Liverpool for over 20 years due to falling in love with the Kop the first time I saw it on TV.

When I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Kop last season against Birmingham, I sang my heart out to all the songs including the ones that only a few hundred seem to join in with such as Every Other Saturday. I much preferred the Kop to the Centenary and the Anfield Road where I have also sat as the atmosphere was much much better and there seemed to be a higher percentage of locals in the Kop.

I have took my camera everytime I've came to Anfield as I only get the chance to go once a season or less due to cost and difficulty in getting tickets and the place means so much to me so I don't see any problem in getting some pictures of my favourite place in the world that I don't get the chance to get to as much as I would like.

I agree with the point that there would appear to be a number of supporters from overseas that started supporting Liverpool after 2005 and that is just glory hunting plain and simple.

The point I'm trying to make is that not all OOTs are daytrippers just sit there contributing nothing to the atmosphere and know nothing about LFC. I am passionate about LFC and have been for 20 years since I was 9 years old and know and support all of the clubs politics and history. I would love nothing more than to be able to go to every game but it's impossible.

Anyway, I will be buying a membership this summer and try to get down more next season.

To answer the original question, I don't want us to ever leave Anfield and will shed more than a tear the day we ever leave, but if needs must, I would think 60,000 to 65,000 would do enough as you need to find a balance between satisfying demand but not having somewhere that's going to be a struggle to sell out every game.

Now lets beat Brighton and keep on course for what would be a very welcome cup double.

YNWA

JFT96.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #321: Feb 22, 2012 07:20:38 am
      65 should be enough. That means we would fit in everyone 95% of the time.

Quick Reply