Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

This seasons effects on next season

Read 4924 times
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Re: This seasons effects on next season
      Reply #23: May 11, 2009 09:45:35 pm
      This season has been Rafa's best to date. There are 2 things I take from this season. The first is the positive way Rafa responded following the Middlesborough defeat.His change of tactics from the cautious "no loss" approach to the win at all costs adventurous set up really allowed our players to express their qualities, they've got at teams and usually battered them, fantastic to watch.The second thing from this season is the development of real team spirit amongst the players. Other teams have "shows of togetherness" which are obviously stage managed for the cameras, ours is genuine respect amongst the players, this will make a difference next season when things are not going right for individuals. They will support each other properly, no shows of discontent as per Ronaldo at the weekend when he was subbed.The quality and character of the players can and will only have one result next season,- premiership title no 19. YNWA
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,795 posts | 464 
      Reply #24: May 11, 2009 09:57:23 pm
      Real exiting season, and to still be in the title race as of May 11, 2009 says alot. The highs were the doubles over Man Utd and Chelsea, the low was the Middlesboro game (In which they are getting their ass handed to them now by New Utd)  and ALL those damm draws at home. Thought at first losing Keane was a mistake, but hey I'm no manager, and it worked out very well without him. Still praying to my mom in heaven that Man Utd still slip up, but we need to still win and lock up 2nd place. Sad to see the seaon come to a end with us not being in a cup final. Here in the U.S it is baseball all summer. I'm not a big fan of it, very boring to watch, unless your at a game drinking a few :)
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #25: May 11, 2009 10:33:00 pm
      It's been a good season, the way we are now set up with a strong team in all area's, we can go forward with the beliefe that we can win the title, even against the mancs and Chavs millions and lets not forget Man C. Rafa has got us playing good football and a lot of teams could learn from our attitude on the pitch.

philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #26: May 11, 2009 10:35:49 pm
      Prior to this season, we were seen as the great under achievers ( in the league at least) . But as Rafa says the points difference between us and the eventual champions is narrowing every year ( Havent completly given up on this season but being realistic). Very Optimistic for next season the main reason being the boss extending his contract and key players following suit. Also Ferguson realises how much they rely on Ronaldo -hence why he panders to his every tantrum-,and if he goes or get's injured then they could be in serious S**t. Would like to see us strengthen the right back and left hand side of midfield, but nothing major aprt from that, and surely to god Stevie and El Nino will start more than 12 Games together.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: May 12, 2009 12:03:56 am
      There's a few effects that can be looked at and learned from. Because one thing is for certain, we can only keep on learning and keep on improving. Time is not running out for us, as it is with other two teams i could mention.

Firstly, I think our grit, determination, urgency and belief has come on fantastically this season. It went from a stage very early on in the season of appearing 'we can't afford to lose - so we'll keep going until we get it level'. Up to it's present state of being 'we're going out there to win from the off'.

This is a huge factor that we can take into next season for me. We're proving to ourselves that the belief and team spirit is at a level needed to win the league.

Another effect is stopping the off-field distractions getting on the field! No matter what anyone says, football hasn't been the one hundred percent focus in recent times that it should be, which is criminal. But we can go into next season with Rafa being here for a good few years yet and having important players signed up to continue our assault. The question mark still remains on the owners of course, but as I say, if there is one thing we've learned and put in order this season, the football is the most important thing.

And then there is the belief and support from the fans. The most important thing in the world! The foundation on which our club rests.

It wasn't so long ago that forums, phone in's and articles were plagued with doubt. It wasn't so long ago when we heard disgraceful boo's from the stands. Yet here we are, two games to go and it's still possible to win the league. The chances are slim but it's still F***ing possible!!!

Next season, I hope a lot of fans remember this and make the effort to make it even more possible! Support is worth an extra goal at home, which was rightly said recently by our captain. And it's not surprising to hear him say that we may have lost the title at Anfield this season. Don't leave the lads to walk alone next season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,743 posts | 6718 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28: May 12, 2009 04:28:04 am
      Excellent post Redkenny.

I agree.

I'm still clinging on to the tiny hope that we will win the League. For me though, the most important thing to come out of this season is that we finally have the BELIEF that we are ready and able to sustain a Title challenge right to the end.

The boys now know what's needed to go the distance. I don't think they've felt this for a while. They will have the confidence of knowing they went to OT and SB and came away from there with all 3 points. In the past it was a daunting propsect, now that that barrier has been smashed down, they can go there next season feeling they will have a great chance of coming away with all 3 points as well.

We've done fantastically well on our away travels this season. I'm sure the previous season we did well at home but not so well away. Next season I'm looking forward to getting the mixture right, stamping out those horrible home draws and us smashing the points tally on our way to Number 20  ;)
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: May 12, 2009 09:05:16 am
      If Rafa gets his targets this summer, I am in no doubt we shall once again go for the title. I see Mascha has just pledged his future here, another important player signed.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #30: May 12, 2009 12:23:28 pm
      last season was the scum's season

this season is Barca's season

and next season will be OURS !

YNWA !
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #31: May 12, 2009 04:27:22 pm
      TOMKINS ENTERS THE TWILIGHT ZONE
      The weirdness continues. It happened again at Upton Park: inexplicably, Liverpool once again entered the twilight zone, and the opposition disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle.

For some reason, teams in great form wilt and crumble when facing Liverpool. No matter how well they're playing in previous weeks, they roll over and give up the points.

Clearly it has nothing to do with the Reds being a top side who quash the life out of a side before (or whilst) imposing their own attacking will; it's just yet another collective off-day for the team they're playing.

It dates back to the Real Madrid game. Madrid were in superb form – and then Liverpool won at the Bernabeu, before thrashing them at Anfield. Suddenly the double Spanish champions were hailed as the worst Madrid side in eons, and were labelled rubbish in both games.

Then came Sunderland, who in fairness were on a bit of a roll coming to Anfield. But they were seen off with little concern, as the visitors' good run came to an end. Limp Sunderland, etc...

Next, Manchester United were experiencing their best run of home form for donkey's years, with 12 straight wins at Old Trafford and 11 straight league victories, yet were beaten 4-1.

Funnily enough, it was they who, for no good reason, just didn't play well, in the one game where no motivation was necessary and where confidence wasn't an issue. Of course, it had nothing to do with them not being allowed to play well.

Admittedly Aston Villa, still flying high in the league, were on a bit of a decline when coming to Anfield, although, naturally, they were only beaten 5-0 because of their own deficiencies.

Next, Fulham were in the best form of their Premiership lives, and had just put United to the sword at Craven Cottage, but for some reason they just didn't play as well as they could when Rafa Benítez's side visited. Weird.

In fairness, Chelsea were brilliant when visiting Anfield in the Champions League. They got due credit, too. It's fair to say that Liverpool didn't have a great second-half, but Andy Gray, no less, remarked that both sides had been excellent in the first half.

So it's not that Liverpool were rubbish, as seems to be the case with the opposition every time the Reds get a good result. It was Guus Hiddink's brilliance, ably backed by his side.

In the return, much was made of how awful Chelsea were, particularly in the first half. Liverpool did receive a little credit, but yet again, the main emphasis was on Chelsea letting themselves down rather than the Reds' attacking verve. Liverpool got some kudos for guts, but not their fair dues for quality.

In the league, Arsenal had been in sensational form upon making the trip to Merseyside. But for some reason, Liverpool's sublime attacking football was given little credit following a thrilling (if galling) 4-4 draw, the least-just result of the season. Talk about floodlight robbery.

It's fair to say that neither Blackburn nor Newcastle were in great shape when coming to Anfield, and but for the crossbar Liverpool could have racked up double figures in these two fixtures. Of course, as Liverpool confirmed themselves as the league's top scorers, the poor play of the opposition was the main story. (Oh, and some nonsense about semaphore.)

If Sam Allardyce's sides are anything, they are dogged. Detractors find his football rudimentary, but his sides rarely crumble. Except that's what they did.

Ah, because they had no fit strikers? Maybe, although Benni Mcarthy, left on the bench, is by far and away their top scorer this season. No-one asked them to play a centre-back up front, after all. It's like Rafa leaving out Jamie Carragher and playing Torres at centre-back due to an injury crisis.

And then most recently, West Ham. There had been nothing but praise for Gianfranco Zola's side of late, who have a very good recent home record, beyond hard-fought 1-0 defeats to Manchester United and Chelsea. Coincidentally for Benítez and his side, once again, the opposition just didn't get into their stride.

(And despite being no relation, it was weird for me watching Tomkins trying to stop Torres.)

I feel compelled to point out that if certain other teams were the top league scorers, we'd never hear the last about their attacking talents.

Part of me actually likes it when Liverpool go under the radar; it can be advantageous having the world against you, or ignoring your strengths. But another part of me finds the inequality irritating, and feels that credit should go only where it's due.

Liverpool's only two top-class attacking players (according to sundry short-sighted pundits) have started just one-third of all 2008-09 league games in the same side, and yet the Reds have scored the most goals.

And apparently Liverpool are 'cautious', with two 'holding' midfielders.

Something's not right with this picture, is it?

No change of formation has occurred in recent months, but as I argued earlier in the season, this is an excellent attacking side, and far from negative in its approach. If the stats didn't back me up at the time (often due to lax finishing), the figures now do.

Similarly, at the time Robbie Keane was sold, I argued that it was the right decision. Plenty disagreed, but it seems to have proved the case.

His place on the bench was becoming distracting (quite literally at times: the TV director for the Newcastle away game spent more time showing him than the action), and it was a chance to get in a good fee (and save on wages) in order to reinvest this summer.

This was my gut instinct. When Liverpool's goals dried up later in the winter, I admit to wobbling a little. But yet again, my first instincts were right.

And I also never lost sight of the fact that Keane hadn't been pulling up trees before he was sold; it's not like he'd banged in 15 or so. And he's also only scored three since returning to Spurs, and with time not on his side (he's 30 this summer), I felt it was a good time to cut the losses, for a very good player who wasn't fitting in (as happens now and again).

However, my fear was less about selling Keane, and more that no replacement was sought.

I never doubted the potential of David Ngog, who had been excelling at international youth level for a top nation, but feared that it would be next season before he found his feet in the fast-paced Premiership.

Thankfully, despite only playing a few minutes here and there, he appeared to find that vital strength needed to survive as a striker in England almost as soon as I'd claimed this season looked too soon for him.

And his record of minutes-per-goal (187) is now far better than Keane's was (at 255), and only marginally behind those of Torres (165) and Gerrard (145).

In my defence, in the same blog, written at the end of January, I also touted Yossi Benayoun as someone who could do as well as Keane in the role behind the main striker; in truth, he's done even better, albeit often from a wide starting point, but with licence to roam into similar areas.

So despite a little uneasiness on my part (there was of course some risk involved in selling Keane), I feel that my optimism in January was not misplaced. The goals scored recently, even in the absence of Torres and/or Gerrard, show that the ability was in the squad all along.

If anything, I feel pleasantly surprised at seeing the Reds as the Premiership's top scorers, not to mention having thumped four past Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United in the main competitions. I didn't see that coming. And this all came after Keane left.

Then there's Krisztian Nemeth, whose quality I've never doubted since I first saw him play for the reserves, but for whom injuries have ruined this season; he's another option that didn't pan out this spring in Keane's absence – particularly after a brief loan spell at Blackpool, designed to get him match-sharp, ended with a broken cheekbone sustained within a minute of his debut. That's just plain bad luck.

But players like Ngog and Nemeth can only improve, as can Daniel Pacheco, so it's not like Liverpool are peaking this season; indeed, it's still a very young first-team squad, with an average age about to be further lowered with the exit of the evergreen Sami Hyypia (more on the great Finn next week).

Otherwise I'd expect all of the main players to still be around, and benefiting from one more year spent together.

Take into account the handicap of injuries to Torres, Gerrard and, when it came to winning more games at Anfield, Daniel Agger, and there's every reason to think that a fit squad next season (fingers crossed) will be significantly superior to this. And that's before any additions.

Despite lower resources, Liverpool need to try and match that little extra depth that United possess; after all, that's what will see them crowned champions, if they get four points from their next three games.

They've certainly not played better football than Liverpool this season (and it's been well over a decade since I've been able to say that), but eeked out the extra point here and there, often with 1-0 wins.

May finale

Remarkably, under Rafa Benítez, a Liverpool season has never 'finished' before May (with the narrowest of exceptions last year).

I don't mean the desperate charge to finish in the Champions League positions, but genuinely contesting trophies until the final month of the campaign.

May 2005 saw the Reds win the Champions League. May 2006 saw Liverpool win the FA Cup. May 2007 saw a better performance in the Champions League Final in a rematch with Milan, but a worse result (c’est la vie).

And last year the Reds were still in the Champions League until just a few minutes before the start of May, when getting the game back to 3-2 at Stamford Bridge in extra-time left them one away goal from yet another final. (And to shamelessly sneak it in, technically it was May 1st in some parts of the world.)

The cup success of the previous four seasons has diminished, only to be replaced with a serious title challenge: one that is still just about alive and kicking as we head towards mid-May.

However, to my mind, Liverpool were always unlikely to win their first league title in almost two decades while simultaneously excelling in Europe; if the 'first' title is universally regarded as the hardest to win, additional tough games in the run-in could hinder that, even if progress is naturally sought in all competitions.

With the title theirs to wrap up this week, United fans will rightly take heart if they win the league without playing their best football. It's a nice luxury.

But Liverpool will have pushed them down to the wire without the manager being able to field anything like his best side for two-thirds of all league games (and that's ignoring other key absences in the 12 games that Torres and Gerrard were fit to start together).

Maybe that's an even better sign.

It also seems that there are some itchy feet at United, with Ronaldo and Tevez linked with exits. It would be dangerous to assume that losing top attacking talent will see them falter; when Liverpool lost Kevin Keegan and Ian Rush, the team actually improved with reinforcements. But there's always a risk of it not quite working out, or taking time to gel.

By contrast, at Liverpool there seems to be a hunger to stick together and keep improving.

With Arsenal at times brilliant but brittle as balsa, and ageing Chelsea on the verge of serious transition (new manager and culling of some 30-somethings seem inevitable), this could be just the start of Liverpool's quest to knock United off their perch.

The race to #19 could be the big one.

I know there's a Paul Tomkins thread but I just wanted to point out the fact that I think this generally sums up our season. We've done great things and achieve great and it's a season that we should be proud of regardless if we win the league or not. I also think it tells us alot about what's in the store for next season ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,197 posts | 2796 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: May 12, 2009 04:38:37 pm
      I was trying to get across the same thing as Paul just not as well  ;D
      enrique.miranda
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #33: May 14, 2009 03:01:14 pm
      this season was a great setting stone for next season! Next season will be very fun to watch! LIVERPOOL will win the Premiership and Champions league next year!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #34: May 14, 2009 03:08:35 pm
      if rafa decides to start with the same set of player's for the first ten game's then no doubt we will win next year.
      the lads have proven they have got the consitency that is required.

bring it on.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #35: May 14, 2009 06:49:58 pm
      I know some say I'm crazy, but Liverpool will win the League.  Arsenal, with Arshavin, will beat manure 3-2.  then, hull city, fighting for their lives, will edge manure 2-1.  believe. ynwa.

Quick Reply