Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

"Boring, Boring Scousers!"

Read 4820 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      "Boring, Boring Scousers!"
      Apr 24, 2009 01:00:59 pm
      Boring, Boring Scousers

It wasn't long ago that we were mocked with that chant, and it was difficult to dispute the claim at times. We based our game on a solid defence, being difficult to break down and pinching the odd goal here and there. We were a horrible team to play against, but it was affective when it needed to be; the European success over the past few seasons shows that. But what it didn't bring was a challenge for the league title, and looked in danger of costing us again this year as the number of draws at home will testify.

In the past few months, we've blown that tag out of the water. Our title challenge had all but disappeared before we went to Old Trafford; but since then, our approach to games has been breath taking, and the reason we find ourselves in the position we're in.

Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid
      Man United 1-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 5-0 Aston Villa
      Liverpool 4-0 Blackburn
      Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal

That's 4 goals scored against sides of the calibre of Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal in the space of a few weeks. The 8 goals conceded in the past week have been the result of having to sacrifice solidity at the back in order to chase a game, as well as very uncharacteristic individual mistakes. Arsenal had 4 shots on target last night and scored 4 goals. While there's a player with Arshavin's quality on the field you're always likely to be punished when giving him that space and opportunities.

We've got ourselves back into the title race through attacking football and going at teams from the off. While last night was a sickening blow, it is just a minor blip in the progression of this team. A team that's growing in stature with every passing week. What does not kill you will only make you stronger; which rings true of this season. No matter what happens in these remaining few games, we'll come back a stronger and wiser side next season. The progression is there for all to see.

That's not me conceding the title, merely being realistic about the size of the task we now face, as well as recognising the achievement in getting into the position we're now in, when it looked all over at the end of January.

The fight in the players in unbelievable. Time and time again we look dead and buried and yet they still find reserves from somewhere. Late goal after late goal; and for that reason alone I'm not giving up on the title just yet. It looks an impossible task on paper, but with United not setting the world alight and looking an accident waiting to happen, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Come the end of the season we may well look back with regret on those home draws with the likes of Stoke, Hull, Fulham, Man City and the like, but we'll also be able to look back on being unbeaten against our main title rivals; beating Man United and Chelsea at home and away, the ability to beat those sides and attacking intent we've shown in these past few months that would blow away the lesser sides if we approached those games with less caution.

This side is developing into something special, but is still on that long learning curve before being able to reach it's full potential. I've been getting sick of saying "next year", and it's become a standing joke amongst many, but hardly any side comes from 4th or below to win the title. There is nearly always a year of challenging before following that up with delivery of the goods the year after. If we don't go on to win it this season, it could very well be the year of experience we needed. We've never had that platform to build on before.

There's one thing that the remainder of this year won't be, and that's boring.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/2009/04/boring-boring-scousers.html

A well written article. Much as it looks more like we're not in the driving seat in our push for the title, we really stepped up our game. I know it will be a better season in september.

I am still bracing myself for a miracle this season though.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 01:11:27 pm by solodee »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Boring, Boring Scousers!
      Reply #1: Apr 24, 2009 01:02:59 pm
      Boring is one word I never have and never will associate with Liverpool. Even in Houlliers worst days I was never bored by watching the reds
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: Apr 24, 2009 01:10:26 pm
      Boring is one word I never have and never will associate with Liverpool. Even in Houlliers worst days I was never bored by watching the reds

The Writer was quoting "Boring, Boring..." not calling Liverpool FC Boring
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2009 01:12:02 pm
      The Writer was quoting "Boring, Boring..." not calling Liverpool FC Boring

Yes but I have heard other supporters refer to us as boring. Dont get it meself
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: "Boring, Boring Scousers!"
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2009 02:56:55 pm
      There's only 2 Scousers though in the starting side.

'Boring, Boring OOTers' more like it.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2009 03:06:21 pm
      Livrpool are never boring. Yes some times we struggle to break teams down but we always put in plenty of effort. I would rather we win one nil than draw games but some times a goal feast does you the world of good. Long live the POOL
      CupidStunt
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -3 
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2009 03:59:56 pm
      #

True say, you don't win 5 trophies with boring football.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2009 06:37:50 pm
      In Europe especially we are one of the most exciting teams in the world to watch. Any claim that we are 'boring' is bollocks.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2009 07:56:46 pm
      This is the second season for most players under Rafa, maybe with Rafa knowing the players better he is giving them more responsibility and trust is vital for players.

We who watch the team every week whether it be on T.V or live know what we are capable of, and even in those games we would nick and win by the odd goal, the last thing that could be labelled at this group of players was is boring.

You only have to look at the stats for each game and the number of goal chances we create is phenomenal, I have been watching Liverpool for 40 years now and I have to go back to the days of Kenny(as manager) to remember when we last created so many goal chances.

The difference then was we had players who had, been there, done that, and that I believe goes a long way to knowing just what's needed, today's players have not been there yet but once they get their first title the weight will go.

I read somewhere this week that you have to lose it to win it, and this season will go a long way of making us a better team and the experience the players will get is invaluable.....
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,845 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2009 07:57:33 pm
      How can anyone say that fast ,attacking,exciting football is boring ? if that is so then bore the pants off me reds !!cos i like it
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Apr 24, 2009 08:17:04 pm
      No matter how we play, I've always said I find nothing more entertaining than seeing Liverpool win and I really don't care what any mancs or chavs have to say otherwise !
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #11: Apr 24, 2009 08:46:40 pm
      Yeah good point mate. It's true i'd get more entertainment and enjoyment out of a 1-0 than a 4-4 draw. Nothin more pleasin than seeing us win. True we're very difficult to play against the last few years especially when defending a lead, but by no means were we ever boring. Efficiant would be a better term.Wasn't ' boring boring' an arsenal chant in the early 90's.
      No matter how we play, I've always said I find nothing more entertaining than seeing Liverpool win and I really don't care what any mancs or chavs have to say otherwise !
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 24, 2009 09:01:25 pm
      The season has been special.. no doubting that..
      And I've always said.. Rafa's gone a step at a time.. first the defence.. with Agger comin in.. tHEN mID.. WITH MASCH COMIN IN. tHEN forward.. with nando in.. along side we kept gettin the quality of kuyt reina skrtel alonso benny and more.. so it has been perfect..the comin 'NEXT YEAR' is special.. (if not this)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Apr 24, 2009 11:41:51 pm
      Boring boring scousers my left buttock.

There's many pages to read about LFC. More than any English club. People would complain even more if we carried on being brilliant when we dipped.

And people hate the fact that we're getting stronger and stronger again...
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #14: Apr 24, 2009 11:47:30 pm
      we get called boring yet the mancs are lucky to score more than once in a game and are supposedly one of the most exciting teams around?

i dont buy it myself
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2009 02:41:09 am
      It makes me sick when Manchester United are called 'exciting' and the like by pundits and so on. I have honestly not been able to watch 10 minutes of one of their games without going to sleep.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2009 03:41:00 am
      Well this season, boring? Certainly not the case.

We've scored 63 goals in the EPL this season if I'm not mistaken, top scored in the whole league and we have 2 players who scored 30 odd goals between themselves this season.

Also having people like Yossi, Kuyt, Riera, Alonso, and even Aurelio chipping in to score the goals when it matters.

Boring? Certainly not. Just look at how much comebacks we have made this season, from the Boro game when Gerrard rifled the ball back into the net from the edge of the area. City, Wigan, and even United followed soon, we came back against the odds, and we stuck through thick and thin to emerge victories.

I'll never associate boring with Liverpool. Maybe pulsating, because I have my heart raced before every game, during the game and even after the game. This season looks to have one conclusion, and maybe, if United drop some points today, we'll be in for another 'against all odds.'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Apr 25, 2009 06:33:39 am
      Well, I guess we're pretty boring cause we are always coming from behind to collect like 22 points after going behind in 11 games(6 wins,4 draws, 1 loss).
      We are also so boring to score 4 goals or more each game.
      So boring that the games we play are so exciting.

One for the Knee Jerk thread! :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #18: Apr 25, 2009 05:20:46 pm
      3-1 today we're boring as F**k we are!
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      Reply #19: Apr 26, 2009 10:31:07 pm
      3-1 today we're boring as f**k we are!

Especially the boring way Alonso smashed the net with the first goal! ;D
      shrey024
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2009 03:59:38 pm
      It makes me sick when Manchester United are called 'exciting' and the like by pundits and so on. I have honestly not been able to watch 10 minutes of one of their games without going to sleep.

Seconded.

Liverpool FC are never, never boring.

'Boring' isn't determined by the amount of goals you score or fail to score.

In either case, no one could could call us boring now!

Quick Reply