Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Golf

Read 113235 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Golf
      Reply #782: Apr 05, 2023 05:02:37 pm
      I love The Masters because of the course and the drama. The Open moves around as does the US open as you know. But just something about The Masters. The great past champs, Jack, Palmer Etc. Just a unique venue. The Green jacket (in my case the green jumper if I pick the winner, only got one green jumper so far).

So  first The masters, The Open, The Us Open. The PGA. The Players at Sawgrass is unofficially the 5th Major.

All about opinions as Pj has his. However, I have it the same order as you. 👍
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #783: Apr 05, 2023 05:35:57 pm
      All about opinions as Pj has his. However, I have it the same order as you. 👍

All about the enjoyment of the game of golf. The Open has a great standing obviously. So The Masters only by a slither for me. Few other issues this year. Norman not invited but Liv players are here.For me sport is sport but inevitably other issues get dragged into it. And there is more than enough stuff around The Masters to reduce the golf to a side show.

Some stuff coming out that the expected rain might favour Macca. I'm not that qualified to say one way or the other, just hope the rain doesn't mess with the schedule etc.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #784: Apr 05, 2023 05:42:18 pm
      All about the enjoyment of the game of golf. The Open has a great standing obviously. So The Masters only by a slither for me. Few other issues this year. Norman not invited but Liv players are here.For me sport is sport but inevitably other issues get dragged into it. And there is more than enough stuff around The Masters to reduce the golf to a side show.

Some stuff coming out that the expected rain might favour Macca. I'm not that qualified to say one way or the other, just hope the rain doesn't mess with the schedule etc.

Glad they fooked of Norman, heā€™ll Iā€™ve stopped buying his clothing too.  :lmao:

I love the atmosphere when it comes to The British Open but The Masters ( for me ) takes it to another level and spend as much as I can to watch all four days. I donā€™t get that same passion with any other major. Donā€™t get me wrong I go out of my way to watch as much as possible, but the MASTERS I canā€™t miss.  ;D
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #785: Apr 05, 2023 06:02:55 pm
      Glad they fooked of Norman, heā€™ll Iā€™ve stopped buying his clothing too.  :lmao:

I love the atmosphere when it comes to The British Open but The Masters ( for me ) takes it to another level and spend as much as I can to watch all four days. I donā€™t get that same passion with any other major. Donā€™t get me wrong I go out of my way to watch as much as possible, but the MASTERS I canā€™t miss.  ;D

The expected rain might bring down the scores. Probably -2 or even par might be in with a shout. So getting in under par on the first day will be very important. They've lengthened the 13th by 35 yards, genuine 5 now. Probably influenced by all this 'new golf' ball stuff.

But it is amazing how far Macca hits it. Only a shade over 5'7'. Players getting fitter, stronger. Better equipment etc. Golf, more than any other sport has so many changes year on year.  R&A always tinkering with it. Now they are going to change the balls.

Was in the butchers t'other day and I said I should be in the Masters...the bater masters...he nearly chopped his finger off..

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,680 posts | 3356 
      Reply #786: Apr 05, 2023 06:25:46 pm
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2012/06/12/which-golf-major-is-the-most-prestigious/?sh=384170576b5e

Masters has the highest TV ratings (so it's the most popular with the public) and the players surveyed overwhelmingly said it's the one they'd want to win the most.

Only one major gives someone the champion golfer of the year

The Open is the original and the main major

The rest just followed on.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,680 posts | 3356 
      Reply #787: Apr 05, 2023 06:37:44 pm
      Whatā€™s not true he doesnā€™t have the bottle or best major by a country mile?

Judging by the comments since I think you referring  to the Masters not being the best?   ;D

Now Pj!! We know you can have an argument/debate in an empty room   ;D  ā€œhellā€ you could disagree with your own shadow if it could talk back.  :lmao: So on that basis Iā€™m not going to discuss on and on when you come back with another opinion after Iā€™ve replied because we both know itā€™s futile when you get involved.  ;D

What I can tell you and Iā€™ve discussed this with loads of golfers and read many many times the majority will say the Masters, itā€™s not even close.

Saying Masters isnā€™t the best is like saying Gomez still one of the best defenders in world football.  :f_tongueincheek:

Links is the truest form of golf

And the major thatā€™s played on links is the prime major as opposed to a glorified park hosting an overinflated invitational 😁😉

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #788: Apr 05, 2023 06:41:56 pm

That wasnā€™t the question/debate/argument 😉

Now if youā€™d of asked me truest/hardest golf clubs to play in the world Iā€™d also so links. 😉
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #789: Apr 06, 2023 12:25:34 pm
      Butch Harmon on Sky..79..looking good. Didn't know his dad Eugene Claude Harmon won the Masters in '48..won $2,500. Butch tipping Macca.

Butch gives Fleetwood as an outsider, EW tip. Butch knows the game inside out and always a great listen. The weather is against Woods. Making the cut will be great but the damp, as we know, can increase the leg pain.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2023 01:04:59 pm by Harrisimo »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #790: Apr 06, 2023 05:39:38 pm
      Butch Harmon on Sky..79..looking good. Didn't know his dad Eugene Claude Harmon won the Masters in '48..won $2,500. Butch tipping Macca.

Butch gives Fleetwood as an outsider, EW tip. Butch knows the game inside out and always a great listen. The weather is against Woods. Making the cut will be great but the damp, as we know, can increase the leg pain.

Donā€™t think thereā€™s any better than Butch is there? Just donā€™t see what Butch sees in Fleetwood though. I hope he does do well though. I wanted to bet Tiger not making the cut but my heart wouldnā€™t let me.

The greens are fast at the moment arenā€™t they.  ;D Iā€™d probably 5 put on some of those greens.  :lmao:
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #791: Apr 06, 2023 06:26:11 pm
      Donā€™t think thereā€™s any better than Butch is there? Just donā€™t see what Butch sees in Fleetwood though. I hope he does do well though. I wanted to bet Tiger not making the cut but my heart wouldnā€™t let me.

The greens are fast at the moment arenā€™t they.  ;D Iā€™d probably 5 put on some of those greens.  :lmao:

Yeah great to see Butch Harmon. Don't think he's been too well in recent years. Think he said he'd been working with Fleetwood. Anyway under way. Might catch up later. Got to go to the airport..which means I've got to tidy up the mess I've made in the last few days.

Won't settle untill get the first round out the way.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,680 posts | 3356 
      Reply #792: Apr 06, 2023 06:48:37 pm
      Looking like itā€™s going to be a heck of a round from Hovland

Iā€™m already sick of ā€œpatronsā€

Butch is ok - gets a bit repetitive

Rich Beam is very good

Good fightback from Rahm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #793: Apr 06, 2023 06:56:18 pm
      Looking like itā€™s going to be a heck of a round from Hovland

Iā€™m already sick of ā€œpatronsā€

Butch is ok - gets a bit repetitive

Rich Beam is very good

Good fightback from Rahm

Itā€™s a great start but for Rahm to four putt doubly bogey then go 3 under. Hoping he goes even money in running at the end of day 3  🤑🤑🤑
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #794: Apr 07, 2023 11:01:59 am
      Good stuff yesterdee, although I missed a fair bit due to circs beyond my control. Got a bit of interest in Hovland. Think his daft dicky dirt put Tiger off.

Speith blew hot and cold. Macca just didn't get anything going. Rahm did well after a bad start. But still anybody's at this stage.

The rain and lower temps are due tomorrow I think yer man said. Golf in the rain, had a few soakings myself over the years.

Good luck to all interested posters.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #795: Apr 07, 2023 02:13:48 pm
      Koepka off to a good start. now -8. Benign so far but storms due in the afternoon..delays expected. Sarah Stirk saying 'patrons' saying worst weather forecast in 30 years..
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #796: Apr 07, 2023 03:27:53 pm
      Koepka making the most of benign conditions..eagle at the 8th..now -10. Big advantage.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #797: Apr 07, 2023 04:47:22 pm
      Koepka making the most of benign conditions..eagle at the 8th..now -10. Big advantage.

Looks like he will be leader come end of the day because of weather.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #798: Apr 07, 2023 05:28:02 pm
      Pretty sure weather is now going to decide who wins the Masters  :f_doh: Those that havenā€™t gone out yet going to be hit hard. Apparently a massive drop in temperatures as well.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #799: Apr 07, 2023 08:20:04 pm
      Yeah play suspended. Koepka got lucky with the weather but great play to be -12 under after 2 rounds. Has to screw up the third round to let others back in. Something like a 73/74...with one or two shooting 68 or better.

Macca finished on +5...out of it. Big build up by a lot of the experts and I thought he would be in contention but fluffed his lines. Still might just fire him up for the next 3 majors.

Might be able to actually watch it in peace over the weekend, interrupted by a footie match.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #800: Apr 07, 2023 08:41:52 pm
      Sandy Lyle at least gets a birdie in his last professional round.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #801: Apr 08, 2023 01:07:10 pm
      Got the course tidied up after the storm. Looks a bit cold and damp. Koepka knows how to win majors for sure. Has to go over par in the third to open the door for others.

Rahm isn't that far away on -10 and it won't faze him to go down the back 9 trying to win. Can still be a great Masters despite the weather.

Woods hit the flag on 15...but spins back about 15ft....drops it in...greatest pressure putter ever..now +1..
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2023 02:05:37 pm by Harrisimo »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #802: Apr 08, 2023 02:07:44 pm
      Got the course tidied up after the storm. Looks a bit cold and damp. Koepka knows how to win majors for sure. Has to go over par in the third to open the door for others.

Rahm isn't that far away on -10 and it won't faze him to go down the back 9 trying to win. Can still be a great Masters despite the weather.

Woods hit the flag on 15...but spins back about 15ft....drops it in...greatest pressure putter ever..now +1..

Hopefully a shoot out with Rahm & Koepka. My bet already looking good for a cash out and free roll at the worse.  ;D

Iā€™ll be so pleased if Tiger can mate the cut.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #803: Apr 08, 2023 02:32:17 pm
      Hopefully a shoot out with Rahm & Koepka. My bet already looking good for a cash out and free roll at the worse.  ;D

Iā€™ll be so pleased if Tiger can mate the cut.

Suffering with his leg. Cold and damp...needs a par at 18..

Yeah great call on Rahm, you're in with a shout. Could be a great dual as well. Apart from the ametuer the others, Hovland included are a little bit back. Need a 65/66 in the third to get back in but this course can go against any player.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #804: Apr 08, 2023 02:41:57 pm

Yeah great call on Rahm, you're in with a shout. Could be a great dual as well. Apart from the ametuer the others, Hovland included are a little bit back. Need a 65/66 in the third to get back in but this course can go against any player.

Thing is I donā€™t really need Rahm to win just lay off for profit and we go again at the other majors remaining. Itā€™s my favourite bet of the year due to having four bites of the 🍒    ;D

Quick Reply