Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Giggs wins PFA player award

Read 15723 times
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Giggs wins PFA player award
      Apr 27, 2009 12:18:54 am
      Sorry for the swearing but i think I'm entitled to it here.
      F***ing ridiculous, How can a player who has had 50% of his season league apperances as a sub ( BBC FactFile on Giggs )

League apps: 24
      Sub apps    : 12
      Goals         : 1

:f_steam:

Here's the story : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8019726.stm

I'm too tired to write a 3 page complaint about this now but i would feel more than capable of doing so if i was wide awake. Just ridiculous.

Also, Ashley Young won the young player award. I think that should've went to Stephen Ireland to be honest but next to the Giggs thing it doesn't compare whatsoever.

Here's team of the year, we've got Gerrard and Torres in it but guess what? No xabi Alonso. I'm just speachless. What league has everyone been watching this year? :

Edwin Van der Sar (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Did anyone notice how Fergie was saying Giggs deserves to win it the other day for his contribution to football? Actually Fergie the PFA Player of the YEAR Award goes to the best player that YEAR you tool. But no doubt everyone fell for it.

Un-F***ing-believable  :f_steam:

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Giggs wins PFA player award
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2009 12:25:54 am
      Are you F***ing kidding me?

I'll edit this later as I'm a bit too pissed off to reply properly, but why the F**k should he get anything over Gerrard this season?

YET MORE (!!) United bias. F***ing cu*ts.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2009 12:34:14 am
      Also do you notice that in team of the year, Giggs is playing centre mid?
      They obviously had to have Young in because they gave him the award and it would be unthinkable to not have ronaldo so they had to just stick him in the middle next to Gerrard. Pathetic at all the Man U players in the team too. It should be Alonso and Lampard in centre mid with Gerrard playing off Torres.

I think it says it all that Giggs shouldn't even be in the team but somehow he wins it

I am once again Amazed but at the same time not surprised atall with it being more glory forced upon Man U by all the sheep who just believe what Fergie and the Media tell them
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2009 12:45:32 am
      I've just noticed this :
      Look at a player who is a left mid for Liverpool. Perfect example Ryan Babel.
      Babel has had a terrible season but he's got better statistics than Giggs.

Both 24 league appearances. Babel 6 more sub apps but he's actually scored more goals. ( 2 to giggs' 1)

Not saying Babel has been better but it puts it in perspective how Giggs has done sod all
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2009 03:54:57 am
      It's called PFA player of the year. That means, the player who has played really well this year, I.e. Steven Gerrard should win it, NOT Player of of history of premiership or Player of the decade.

I think it's really unfair for him to win it just because he has played and scored in every Premier League season but did nothing this year. Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Frank Lampard are actually having a much, much better season that him with Steven Gerrard, to be honest, edging everyone for the award.

Young PFA Player of Year should be given to Stephen Ireland, really. He's been impressive for City even though 32 mil arrived. Ashley Young is class, but he only played well till like end of 2008 or something.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2009 03:55:54 am
      Funny how Fergie tips him to win and it turns out like that. What a charade!
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2009 03:57:42 am
      I guess Manure own the Piremiere league.
      At least young player award not won by their fullback which side i dunno, dont even bother, who was nominated. Even lesser appearance then Giggs.

About the PFA player fo the year, 5 nominated 4 are Manure players, with only Gerrard in it. Vidic, Giggs, 2 others i think Ronaldo and Van der sar.
      TBH, Vidic and Van der Sar are okay with Gerrard but Giggs is a surprise in the top 5. Not even Lampard was in it.
      And in the end Giggs won it. Make the PFA award Long-time servant achievement award instead.
      In this case if Gerrard does not win it coming years, there's something wrong with these award and Manure owns the FA.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2009 05:20:54 am
      After reading the BBC article Ally posted the link to, I could only find one paragraph in the whole thing that explained why Giggs won this award:

He has only started 12 league games this season but has been a regular in the squad for all competitions and if he lines up against Arsenal in their Champions League semi-final first-leg on Wednesday, it will be his 800th club appearance.

It's the only time they mention his contribution this season, though they do feel obliged to say how many games he's played for United, as if that should be a factor to consider in rating his performances on 2008-2009.

There are about ten other paragraphs talking about all he's done historically for Man Utd - again, as if this should help us judge how he's played this year.

I couldn't give a sh*t how many games he's played for United, after all, Carra has played a lot of games for us, so why shouldn't he win it? Because it's not the award for who has given the most to a particular club, but who has been the best player over the current season.

Now I don't want to sound paranoid, but this F***ing stinks. It just seems like Ferguson has rung up a couple of mates in the FA, and reminded them that Giggs has never won this one, and it'd be nice for him to complete his medal collection. ::) Paranoid, perhaps, though the number of United players in the shortlist and the fact that a player who has done little or nothing this season won the award leads me to believe that this thing has been rigged from the start.

For the BBC: you have my permission to publish this post on your website, as you have got into the habit of nicking stuff from on here recently. But please credit my name.  :P
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2009 07:33:32 am
      It's more of this sentimental drivel about how Giggs is an ambassador to the premier league etc etc.

He's done sweet F**k all this season. Made 12 starts, scored once. That doesn't justify player of the year. Gerrard should have won it. I wouldn't have been too disappointed had Vidic won it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2009 08:50:09 am

Now I don't want to sound paranoid, but this f**king stinks. It just seems like Ferguson has rung up a couple of mates in the FA, and reminded them that Giggs has never won this one, and it'd be nice for him to complete his medal collection. ::)

I am utterly disgusted, but I think you've hit the nail on the head there Ayrton, Giggs is at the end of his career, hasn't won this yet, so obviously with a little nudge from Fergie in the right direction, and smack, bang, wallop.............oh look let's give it to Ryan Giggs.

Absolutely stinks as far as I'm concerned and makes a complete mockery of all these type of awards.

Giggs should feel totally embarrassed to receive this award, completely unjustified.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2009 08:56:49 am
      F***ing disgrace.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2009 09:06:57 am
      Its a joke, pure and simple and a pure sympathy vote. Yes Giggs has been a top player for the previous years but the award is for 08-09?? How can he be even considered, pathetic. And Ashley Youngs done F**k all for a good few months while im at it as well. And this aint bias, i say credit where its due.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2009 09:37:29 am
      Replies in Soccernet on this topic reached nearly 400 currently, and a good % thinks Giggs deserve this.
      oh well. zz
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2009 09:41:19 am
      How the f**k can someone with 12 starts and 1 goal even be considered to be in the running let alone win it? Farcical that. Award him with a plaque at the end of the season if they want for his carrer achievments but not player of the year. Joke that isnt funny
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2009 09:46:27 am
      Just read some sh*te on soccernet. And Giggs hails SAF. Simply cause it was SAF that called the FA up to hand him the trophy.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=641124&sec=england&cc=4716

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs hailed boss Sir Alex Ferguson after being named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year for the first ever time.

DanielHambury/Empics

Ashley Young, Ryan Giggs and John McDermott were the winners on the night

Despite starting only 12 matches this season and scoring one goal, the award is seen as just reward for a glittering career which started 18 years ago against Everton at Old Trafford on March 2, 1991.

Since then the former Wales international's club honours include 10 Premier League titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups and two Champions League medals.

The 35-year-old, who will make his 800th appearance for United if he plays against Arsenal in the Champions League semi-final on Wednesday evening, was quick to praise the man who has guided him through his entire career at Old Trafford.

"The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13,'' Giggs said. "That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.

"I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without th manager.''

Giggs' contract expires at the end of the season but he is expected to be offered an additional year. However, the winger did suggest he will eventually move into coaching and has taken the first steps towards that and will be studying for his badges.

"As long as I'm getting picked, enjoying it and injury-free, I'll carry on as long as I can," he added. "At 35 you can't look too far into the distance, you just can't.''

Of the award, the player said: "It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players. I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice, but this is the big one."

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young picked up the Young Player of the Year award and believes it is a sign of the progress his club have made this season.

The PFA divisional team of the year has six United players and also included Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka, who was in goalscoring form until the votes were cast but has not found the net since February. Portsmouth right-back Glen Johnson was also included.

Premier League team of the year: Edwin Van der Sar, Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, Ashley Young, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nicolas Anelka, Fernando Torres

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2009 10:01:05 am
      Voted by the players.

Players are thick as pigshit.

Looking at the team only serves to prove that footballers, in general, are sh*t scared of United.  No wonder United keep getting results when other teams start the game thinking they've already lost.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2009 10:04:18 am
      What a F***ing DISGRACE. Words fail me at this moment but it's just disgusting.

As for the so called 'team of the year' the only ManUre player that even deserves to be there on achievement this season is Van Der Sar.

At least one crumb of comfort is that ugly c**t Rooney didn't get in it like he usually does.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #17: Apr 27, 2009 10:09:42 am
      12 games 1 goal.

A joke. Enough said. I'm not denying I was surprised when he hadn't won it already but that's no reason to give him it this season.  No way is he deserving of it.  For a start, I don't even think he was the best United player on that list.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2009 10:13:19 am
      Exactly, other United players were more deserving. Like you say, i think most players who voted looked at his career and said 'WOW' before completely losing sight of the fact it's performances THIS SEASON.

At this moment in time i'm glad i'm not a footballer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2009 10:30:49 am
      Giggs is a decent enough guy for a manure player, and must be embarassed. 12 starts, 1 goal, I could  reel off 60 players ahead of him. Infact, I think I will. :)

Liverpool - Gerrard, Alonso, Bennayoun, Kuyt, Macherano, Skrtel, Aurelio, Carra, (even Babbel if you look at the stats......)
      United - Ronaldo, VDS, R**ney, Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Evra, Park (Giggs not even top 6 at united!!!)
      Chelski - Lampard, Bosingwa, Terry, Droggers, Anelka
      Arsenal - Fabregas, Van Persie, Arsharvin (Got better stats in one game than Giggs - as we know all to well :( )
      Villa - Young, Barry, Friedal
      Evert*n - Cahill, Arteta (probs played more than Giggs despite injury!!) jagielka, Fellaini
      Fulham - Swarzer, Murphy!!! Dempsey, Hangeland, Pantsil
      West Ham - Green, Upson
      Wigan - Zaki, Valencia
      Spurs - Bent, Lennon, Modric
      City - Robinho, Ireland, Given
      newcastle - ok.... nobody :P
      Stoke - Beattie and Fuller
      Boro - errrrmmmmmm ok maybe not...
      Hull - Geovani and Turner.
      WBA - Nobody...
      Bolton - Matty Taylor, Davies
      Pompey - Johnson, Krankjar (and defoe beforwe he went spurs and got injured)
      Sunderland - Richardson
      blackburn - warnock, emrton.

Thats your 60 :)

So maybe Giggs should make top 60, but not top 6, but then to win it......... My god!!!

Lifetime acheivement YES, Best player this season..... NO!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2009 10:56:05 am
      Sympathy vote for the "old man" - plain and simple. It devalues the award to be honest and makes it a F***ing joke amongst any right-minded football fan.

Giggs ain't even the best player at Man U for F**k's sake.  :lmao:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Apr 27, 2009 11:20:22 am
      This is outrageous, he has started 12 matches only finishing 3, he has one goal, i think he played a couple of good matches in February, i thought this was a player of the year not a lifetime achievement award, I've being talking to a couple of utd fans, I never agree with them on anything but they even told me it was a joke, he is no longer a regular for Utd, come on they have made an absolute joke of this award suprised Rafael didnt get young player of the year.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: Apr 27, 2009 12:15:30 pm
      What a F***ing shambles! Seriously I saw this in the morning when I was going to work and it just ruined my entire day.

FFS! He is not even the best player in his club let alone in the league, Gerrard nearly has more goals then Giggs has in appearences. I mean what the F**k is Ferdinand doing on that list also?? How about other defenders in the league that have stood out Carragher for one has not missed a game in the league then Jagielka even though he is a blue sh*te the guy played well and should be on that list ahead of Ferdinand any day.

It just shows Ferguson has the FA and media in the palm of his hand ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply