Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your Player of the season

Andrea Dossena
      0 (0%)
      Sami Hyypia
      1 (0.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      120 (31.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      5 (1.3%)
      Albert Riera
      1 (0.3%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      1 (0.3%)
      Xabi Alonso
      169 (44.8%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      24 (6.4%)
      Alvaro Arbeloa
      0 (0%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      35 (9.3%)
      Ryan Babel
      0 (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      7 (1.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (0.5%)
      Emiliano Insua
      1 (0.3%)
      Jamie Carragher
      7 (1.9%)
      David Ngog
      1 (0.3%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (0.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Voting closed: Jun 09, 2009 04:48:37 pm

LFC Reds Player of the Season 2008/09

Read 17292 times
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Liverpool's Best Player This Season is.....??
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2009 08:19:24 pm
      It has to be Xabi, he has been an inspiration this season , thank God we didn't sell him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2009 08:41:28 pm
      Xabi Alonso, no doubt in my mind.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2009 08:54:37 pm
      So far, Xabi but il wait until the season is over for my final decision :)
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 27, 2009 08:59:54 pm
      Charles Itanjde
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #27: Apr 27, 2009 09:02:44 pm
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #28: Apr 27, 2009 09:08:50 pm
      For me Its Philip Degen ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #29: Apr 27, 2009 09:10:57 pm
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #30: Apr 27, 2009 09:17:25 pm
      My apologies:)  I know it's an obvious choice but i couldn't look past Gerrard. Time and time again he was the difference in games.He was pushed very close by Alonso IMO and other worthy mentions go to torres, kuyt, yossi, Pepe and Aurelio for his improvement. Although if we were 1-0 up against spurs in 90Th minute last game of season and Robbie Keane missed a penalty to hand us the title, I'd personally make a new EXTRAORDINARY PLAYER OF THE YEAR in his honour.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #31: Apr 27, 2009 10:34:22 pm
      Gerrard, seems to be the obvious choice but he is always there (of course when hes not injured haha) pushing the team forward, getting the goals and making the difference in games. Apart from him, alonso has had a really good season along with yossi and kuyt.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #32: Apr 27, 2009 10:53:39 pm
      There's only four games to go though and seein as its based on the entire seasons performances....can't change all that much in whats left of the season. If you had to pick one chats??

I'm hanging on.

When Lucas Leiva gets 4 hat-tricks in the next 4 games to win us the title, people's opinions could change.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #33: Apr 27, 2009 10:58:02 pm
      Best player this year ...Reina ,xabi and masch ..player of the year all round ...stevie g ..world player
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #34: Apr 27, 2009 10:58:43 pm
      It's got to be Xabi Alonso for me. He's come through the summer saga and shown Rafa he has the quality and mentality to play for this club, and shown that on a consistent basis.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #35: Apr 28, 2009 12:24:26 am
      I would say Yossi, but then again, he's my hero so it isn't very objective.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Apr 28, 2009 08:12:12 am
      Xabi Alonso for me too. He's been consistent, committed and pure class. The greatest passer we've had since big Jan. Oh, and he's cool as F**k under pressure.  8)
      sunnyshine
      Reply #37: Apr 28, 2009 08:31:42 am
      For me, it's Gerrard and Alonso.  They helped and took the important part in many important games.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #38: Apr 28, 2009 10:07:27 am
      Xabi has had a great season and any other year would have got my vote without hesitation but for me the best player this year has to be Javier Mascherano, I cant believe how underrated he is by people from outside our club as they seem to just tag him with a no nonsense label and that’s something that is never really going to win many accolades when he is up against a more flamboyant player.
      For me his game has improved again this season and his dominant displays in midfield constantly allow the more forward thinking midfielders we have to bomb on with the knowledge all is tight at the back (errr I know we have shipped a few lately)

I now honestly think Liverpool miss Javier when he’s not there more than an injured Torres or Gerrard, yes I know they play different positions its just when you look at the team as a whole his omission does more to upset the balance than that of any other player although obviously doing without Stevie and Nando is a massive loss at any time.

Xabi as stated has had a good year and that has been made all the more memorable after last years possible departure had faded into the distance, I fully expect Rafa to be tempted again to sell in the summer but purely because we know he will have to sell before he buys and if as expected he resumes interest in Gareth Barry Xabi would seem to be the prime suspect to be moved on as a potential fundraiser.
      I only hope money is found elsewhere by new investment or by any other means because Alonso cannot be allowed to leave, there is not another player like him in the premier and whilst his tackling can leave something to be desired his vision and passing ability put that minor flaw firmly in the shade, we should be adding good class players without allowing ones we have to leave.

Honourable mentions go to Kuyt for giving the best he can (I will not say ‘doesn’t he work hard!’) and if he could cross a decent ball more often the right wing would be sorted. Also Yossi who always gave me the impression of being lightweight and never knowing when to release the ball, he now seems to have cottoned on to teamwork and we seem to have a little jinking gem on our hands, A lot of players seem to have got their fingers out this year (I wont mention the exceptions) and look where we are in the table so a few new additions in the summer and continued improvement from the team and what seems a more open minded offensive Rafa :o and I think we will be set to retain our newly acquired Premiership crown, Its not over till Frank Lampard sings!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #39: Apr 28, 2009 10:46:35 am
      I think that our Captain, Mr Fantastic has been the best player for us this season.
      Very very closely followed by Xabi Alonso.
      Followed by Javier Mascherano, who I believe is the most important player for us, because of his ability to stop opposition attacks.

Best young player would be Insua, he looks a good prospect for the future.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #40: Apr 28, 2009 10:59:11 am
      Xabi Alonso easily, has been consistently brilliant in all his performances I can not remember a bad game coming from Xabi. Sure he has looked ordinary on the odd occassion but has been instrumental in everything that we have done this season.

macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #41: Apr 28, 2009 12:09:45 pm
      1. Steven Gerrard (captain fabulous as usual)
      2. Xabi Alonso (best season he had so far)
      3. Fernando Torres (if not for his injuries, he could be fantastic)
      4. Javier Mascherano (pillar of our midfield battle)
      5. Dirk Kuyt (hardworking, crucial goal winner)
      6. Yossi Benayoun (great supersub and highly skillful)
      7. Jamie Carragher (solid in defence)
      8. Martin Skrtel (great closing up on defenders)
      9. Albert Riera ( pose threat on the left wing)
      10. Emiliano Insua (surprising eh!)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #42: Apr 28, 2009 02:21:45 pm
      Poll Added
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,158 posts | 3385 
      Reply #43: Apr 28, 2009 02:31:46 pm
      And the first three votes go to our number 14.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #44: Apr 28, 2009 04:44:12 pm
      It's very difficult choice for me, reallu.

The top 5 performers this season would be Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt and Pepe Reina.

Fabio Aurelio and Yossi Benayoun have a fantastic run of form at the moment, except maybe for a few games. Fabio showing why he is a great free kick taker and Yossi scoring crucial goals and doing the job when Stevie is not playing.
      Jamie Carragher, and Sami Hyypia are always reliable. Sami Hyypia, a legend. Reading the game very well even though he's on the verge of retiring. Jamie Carragher, being a vice-captain, he's doing what he needs to do and does it best. Also Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel deserve credit for their relatively solidness at the back.

Emilliano Insua has impressed when he's played. Albert Riera may not be very consistent but he's bringing a different style to the squad and offers alot of width. Can even beat players on his day.

Steven Gerrard - World's best player. Always there when we need him and scoring 20 goals a season for a non-striker is remarkable. True leader and captain. Deserved the PFA Player of the Year, really.

Xabi Alonso - So glad we didn't sell him. One of the main reasons we are where we are in the League table, even Stevie said so. Pure vision, creativity and passing abilities. Scoring some goals too this season :)

Fernando Torres - World's best Striker. Hampered by injuries but still manage to score 13 goals in 21 games in the league. 6 of the 16 goals he scored this season have come in games against Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal and Real Madrid.

Pepe Reina - Pepe is the reason we were in the champions league and has saved us from further embarassment when we lost. Top in the Premier League for me and easily top 3 in the world.

Dirk Kuyt - Hmmm, do you guys notice that he hasn't scored a consolation goal this year? Scored leading goals against Tottenham, Chelsea. Scored winners against Hull City, Man City and Wigan.

In the end, I chose Xabi Alonso. I don't think I need to explain why :)
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #45: Apr 28, 2009 05:51:15 pm
      Xabi all the way for me - he should NEVER be on the bench IMO. Kuyt has been good, and I must give a shout out for Yossi too for the most improved player this season.  Pitched in with a couple of vital goals for us (Real Madrid springs to mind).

Quick Reply