Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?

Read 12144 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?
      Reply #46: May 24, 2011 08:39:30 pm
      Thorny subject this. Although it's clearly not fair on N.I, It's hard to tell someone who considers themselves to be Irish, that they can't play for their country because, like it are not, they're British.

Totally agree mate but what I do have a problem with is when the players have already represented a country and then change.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #47: May 24, 2011 08:41:14 pm
      Totally agree mate but what I do have a problem with is when the players have already represented a country and then change.
      You're right mate , that's not on!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: May 24, 2011 09:13:28 pm
      Saddest part of the whole thing is it can never be one league and one country. Would love a Celtic league or whatever you want to call it and an Irish team
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 735 posts | 113 
      Reply #49: May 24, 2011 10:22:00 pm
      I think the whole point Semple was making is that the R.O.I. were cherry picking Shanner. Should they be allowed to? You say yes. Semple and myself would think otherwise.

First off: the F.A.I. are re-enforcing the divisions that exist in this island by exploiting "loyalties" to a certain political/religious ideal and will only "target" players from a certain background - morally, that's wrong.

Utter nonsense; do the FAI force anyone to play for them? do they kidnap the player in the middle of the night and then force him to wear one of their jerseys? of course not ... it is the player's choice always who he plays for. Always. If a player is eligable for the FAI / IFA / whoever else them why should that association not ask if he wants to represent them? All they are doing is asking the question. If the player actually wants to play for the IFA then that is who he'll choose.

The fact also remains that only the better Nationalist/Roman Catholic lads, (lads with bigger teams), will be asked to play for the Republic. Lads (from the North) with lesser teams just don't get asked. - making their policy even more despicable.
      Are you serious? What teams do you know of that do not ask the "better" players to play for them?  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've read about this whining nonsense elsewhere on the net. It is a pathetic attempt by N.Ireland fans to hide the fact that players who grew up in N.Ireland are regularly choosing to play for the Republic. The players are making this choice. They are the ones turning their back on the North. And, rather than confront the reasons why, it is so much easier (and lazier) to simply blame the FAI for having the cheek a) to only pick good players and b) to ask players who are eligable to play for them if they want to play for them.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 735 posts | 113 
      Reply #50: May 24, 2011 10:26:22 pm
      Also, the fella, can't remember his name, who grew up in Leicester to Northern Irish parents, played for the North against Morocco and yet, it looks like he is going to be called into the Republic set-up.
      The Republic can 'call' all they like. He'll only actually play for them if he wants to. It's entirely his choice.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #51: May 25, 2011 07:54:43 pm
      Very sad that the "Old Firm" nonsense made it's way to Dublin last night. God save the Queen was booed by the Republic fans (thought we'd moved on people), Steve Davies was booed (for being a Rangers player), The N.I fans had their section decked out with Union Jacks, and the Guards had to separate rival bigots who were singing sectarian songs at each other!!!

Quick Reply