Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

What is up with our Captain ?

Read 12604 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: What is up with our Captain ?
      Reply #138: Mar 24, 2010 07:07:29 pm
      I can understand the captaincy issue mate, but when we look at the best of our captain, we see him leading by example from the middle of the park driving the team forward, Stevie has never been the vocal captain that inspires the lads by barking at them on the pitch.

To be honest I've never been a fan of having a captain that plays in an advanced/attacking role as I believe it should be a midfielder/defender as they see so much more of the game going on in front of them.

Its hard to work out exactly whats going on with Stevie to be honest, but I'd say the frustration of the lack of service he receives is playing some part in it.

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #139: Mar 24, 2010 07:13:28 pm
      Stevie hasn't been the same player since that incident in that bar after the Newcastle game last season ,his body language screams frustration and i believe he needs to create a relationship with Aquilani and halve his pressure,then we can see the real Steven Gerrard ,i do think its that simple ,if a good player plays with good players he can become great ,if a good player plays with poor players then his standards will drop and he gets pissed off !
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #140: Mar 25, 2010 04:25:44 am
      No alonso type of player leads to gerrard having less service. Less opportunities means less enjoyable playing experience.
      Nando not being fit all season means less quality link ups and success.
      Himself having adisjointed and injury ravaged season means less consistency.
      Teamates not performing and taking up the slack whilst he is injured or playing below par mus be dispiriting.
      Team as awhole underperforming after last season must be maddening.
      But...regardless as captain and being the supposed inspirational figure of our rich liverpool folklore and being as abject and unpassionate as he has been is deeply worrying.
      I think we will only see him get back to his past brilliance if we have massive changes at the club in apositive manner in the close season.
      Maybe rafa has lost the dressing room? Maybe the yanks will see sense and leave our degraded club.
      Maybe the players are hugely affected by off field issues. Maybe other players will step up. Maybe rafa will take the creative burden off him and play an attacking strategy and team.
      Regardless, in order to help stevie, things need to change either on the pitch or behind the scenes.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #141: Mar 25, 2010 10:02:13 am
      I still think he is 'saving' himself for the world cup. With rio being so injury prone as well, he has a good chance to captain the side as well.

As for the remainder of this season - drop him back alongside Masch, and give Aqualani a run as the apex of the 3 attacking midfielders
      in_the_red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      • When you walk through a storm...
      Reply #142: Apr 03, 2010 03:02:14 pm
      I back Gerrard all the way, but its clear he isn't showing the passion we are used to.  Whatever it is, I hope he sorts his head out soon.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #143: Apr 03, 2010 05:31:45 pm
      I think Gerrard's being playing better over the last few games, but he has set such a high standard for himself it's hard to maintain!

Quick Reply