Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Newcastle doomed to defeat at Liverpool, admits Owen

Read 5575 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Newcastle doomed to defeat at Liverpool, admits Owen
      Reply #23: May 01, 2009 03:04:41 pm
      I was gutted when Michael Owen left but..

The feelings between Owen and Liverpool for me aren't the same anymore. He wanted success, but not for Liverpool, but for himself. Steven Gerrard said winning a trophy with Liverpool once isn't the same as winning with Chelsea 10 times. Jamie Carragher grew up an Everton fan but is now 1000% Liverpool.

Michael Owen didn't give Rafa a chance. I'm sure he was pissing himself when we won the Champions League the same season he left. If he had stayed, he'd be playing with the best players in the world right now and wouldn't have to sit at home and watch whenver England played.

But to be honest, I don't really pay much attention to him anymore. We have Fernando Torres. Thinking back, I'm glad we have Steven Gerrard instead of Michael Owen still at Anfield. Sorry Michael, but you're nothing to me anymore.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #24: May 01, 2009 03:13:09 pm
      There's a chance Owen might return if Newcastle relegates. Rafa signed Fowler as backup before. He might do the same as backup for Torres. In this case a striker with a name who do not mind being on the bench. After all he left us before. But I am just saying there's a chance on this.

Fowler was god.

Fowler left on good terms because he wanted more minutes on the pitch.

There is no comparison with Owen and Fowler, one is a workhorse the other one breeds them
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #25: May 02, 2009 08:26:51 pm
      There can be NO coming back except under exceptional circumstances.

Except the Second Coming Of God.
      JamesNWA
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • LFC For Life
      Reply #26: May 02, 2009 08:32:19 pm
      He should never have left for Madrid, we all know that.
      He does need to show a bit more confidence in Newcastle though, besides that's how they are gonna get points, if they have confidence.
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #27: May 02, 2009 08:47:49 pm
      I think Michael Owen has fallen foul of todays high pressure football, he was not only a talisman for Liverpool FC but also for the England team.
      You always knew when he pulled on his jersey he was always capable of scoring that wonder goal !!
      Yet when he got that niggling injury he was never the same player (through no fault of his own).
      I fear for Torres, a brilliant and sublime player; like Owen who has the ability to make what looks difficult look ever so easy, but like Owen because of the high pressure of Premeirship football one niggling injury will curse the rest of his career.
      Liverpool have been blessed with a string of prolific goal scorers the likes of Rush/Aldridge/King Kenny to name but a few, but guys like Owen and Robbie Fowler seem to be burnt out so soon because of the pace of the Premiership. Does anyone else agree? or am I talking rubbish?
      JamesNWA
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • LFC For Life
      Reply #28: May 02, 2009 08:51:09 pm

I think Michael Owen has fallen foul of todays high pressure football, he was not only a talisman for Liverpool FC but also for the England team.
      You always knew when he pulled on his jersey he was always capable of scoring that wonder goal !!
      Yet when he got that niggling injury he was never the same player (through no fault of his own).
      I fear for Torres, a brilliant and sublime player; like Owen who has the ability to make what looks difficult look ever so easy, but like Owen because of the high pressure of Premeirship football one niggling injury will curse the rest of his career.
      Liverpool have been blessed with a string of prolific goal scorers the likes of Rush/Aldridge/King Kenny to name but a few, but guys like Owen and Robbie Fowler seem to be burnt out so soon because of the pace of the Premiership. Does anyone else agree? or am I talking rubbish?

You're completely right. One injury and it ruins it for them and they don't return from injury as the players they once were and they fall out of shot of the pace of the Premier League. It's a shame really.
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #29: May 03, 2009 12:40:15 am
      Thanx  for your reply James........ I am pleased I am not alone in my thoughts about the high pressures brought to bear on highly talented players in the Premiership (not just Liverpool FC).
      The game of football today is corrupted by football agents whose only aim is to earn a quick few £ at the expense of the footballer and the fan(s).
      Stevie Mac was the start of the rot for Liverpool FC and I remember when we played Aston Villa in the 4th round of the FA Cup before his transfer to Real Madrid, he had no interest in the game ( and I dont blame him) he just didnt want a serious injury!
      There were sections of the Kop who were chanting "Judas" and although I couldnt blame them I could understand his view of pulling out of serious tackles at the risk of his Real Madrid career.
      His agent severly burnt Liverpool FC and when Michael Owen(s) agent started messing about with his contract Liverpool FC called his bluff and told him to get stuffed!!
      Dont get me wrong it was a real shame to see him go but nobody has been bigger that Liverpool FC except for King Kenny who walked away for what ever personal reasons he had at that time !! 
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #30: May 03, 2009 01:20:44 am
      How can people feel sorry for him ???

He was my footballing hero when I was younger and I tried to model everything he did but when he left us after saying a week before he left that "Liverpool are the only club for me. I am very happy here and look foward to being here for years to come". Thats unforgiveable in my book. I never liked him after that.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #31: May 03, 2009 08:32:13 pm
      On the massive income Owen has made throughout his career, if he never played again he wouldn't suffer. Although playing is what players are about, whatever the level of thier game. It is about lifes ups and downs. In every walk of life, there comes a time when opportunuties are presented to us. We have to make decisions on our futures, and we always hope to make the right ones, for ourselves and our families sakes. Owen was a great servant of Liverpool, and a great goal scorer who we all apreciated at the time. He had opportunties presented to him and he made the wrong decisions, and continued to do so. Usually when you make a bad decision, and then try to reverse it, you continue to do the wrong things. This is where Owen is at the moment, probably full of regret and a tinge of envy. Such is life and we have to deal with it. Lot's of ordinary folk find themselves in similar circumstances but without the obscene amounts of money to help them by. Feel sorry for them, but not for Owen. Moyes, a top manager? if he goes for Owen now, I don' think so.

Quick Reply