Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

all time greatest managers of liverpool

Read 3426 times
      lukey loves liverpool
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 63 posts |
      Apr 17, 2006 09:01:18 pm
      im quite interested to find out people views but we all know whos gonna be number 1  the one the only bill shankly but i who would be in your top 5 managers of liverpool
      giddy76
      • Forum John Toshack

• 263 posts |
      Reply #1: Apr 17, 2006 09:13:45 pm
      1. Shankley
      2. Paisley
      3. Fagan
      4. Dalglish
      5. Benitez

Houllier won us trophies but he was far to negative all the time. And I loved Phil Thompson [although he was only caretaker manager] and Roy Evans but not enough to put them in th Top 5.
      lukey loves liverpool
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 63 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 17, 2006 09:29:14 pm
      to true althogh i believe rafa will hopefully move up that list
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #3: Apr 17, 2006 09:39:07 pm
      1.Paisley
      2.Shankly
      3.Dalglish
      4.Fagan
      5.Benitez

It was close for me between paisley an Shanks, if i went for shanks at number 1 it would be because he was the man who got built up the club, but i went for paisley because he got us all them trophys in only 9 years at the club. I'm hopin Benitez can break into the top 3
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Apr 17, 2006 10:52:09 pm
      Quote from: "Liverbird"
      1.Paisley
      2.Shankly
      3.Dalglish
      4.Fagan
      5.Benitez

It was close for me between paisley an Shanks, if i went for shanks at number 1 it would be because he was the man who got built up the club, but i went for paisley because he got us all them trophys in only 9 years at the club. I'm hopin Benitez can break into the top 3

I'd agree with that list LB, its a close one between Shanks and Paisley, they both deserve the number one spot for different reasons,  i hope Rafa will be up their soon, i really like him and his ideas and his outlook for LFC.  He's ambitious, and takes no prisoners when it comes to sentiment, he's got his plans and he sticks to them.  He seems a very knowlegable man and doesn't get caught up in all the media hype like Ferguson, Wenger and Maureen.   I'm looking forward to next season   :D
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2006 01:29:38 pm
      From the history of our club Shanks and Paisley have to rank highly obviously.  I think Houllier was a good manager though, I hope nobody forgets his legacy for us.

He laid the foundations for our Champions League team, and brought many good players to the club, and brought us 2nd place with 80 points, still our Premiership high point.

As for Benitez I have been impressed with his buys, Sissoko (a snatch from under Everton's noses), and Alonso - arguably his finest buy.  But also Reina who has brought stability back to our number 1 shirt for the first time in a decade I would say.  Agger and Kromkamp look good buys and Garcia, although maybe lightweight, has been a key goalscorer for us especially in Europe.  Gonzalez looks class, and Kewell is a different player.

We are only a trio of players away from having a genuine title contending side.
      Pablo
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -1 
      Reply #6: Apr 18, 2006 03:51:19 pm
      Shankly
      Paisley
      Dalglish
      Benitez
      Evans

Sorry , but that's the way I see it .  Shankly built this club . Our dreams , Hopes and glory all stem from the legacy that he alone gave us . Everything else was a direct result of those days - Paisley will be remembered as the manager who took us to more honours than any other manager in British if not world history , but it was all enabled by Shankly . Even Kenny inherited Paisley's side and still carried on the Shankly way . Benitez really had to start from scratch . It was his tactics that got us through the champions league last season , because the team was poor and the system we played under Houllier was woeful. The only good players in that side last season were already there before Houllier took over and even then Houllier managed to get rid of some of them I.e Fowler and Mc manaman, and they were a direct result of Roy Evans -that's why he's got 5th place .When Houllier took over the board gave him £150 million pounds to spend and he wasted the F***ing lot . If Roy Evans would have got that money I don't think Man U would have been so dominant toward the end of the nineties. Evans was a boot room boy . He knew Shankleys philosophy , If he would have had the backing of the Board things may have been different .
        The thing with this list is that there hasn't been that many different managers since Shanks , so people shouldn't just be on the list by default . I certainly wouldn't put Fagan on , He took over Paisley's side - even Houllier would have found it hard to lose with that side !
       I wouln't put Souness on the List and I wouldn't put Houllier on the list - with the sort of money he was given ,he should have sewed up evey title for at least 5 years!!
        So who else is there ?
      LFC_FOREVA
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2006 11:52:18 am
      1) Bill Shankly
      2) Bob Paisley
      3) Rafael Benitez
      4) Kenny Dalglish
      5) Gerard Houllier

Quick Reply