Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

What are you listening to?

Read 790069 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: What are you listening to?
      Reply #7636: Jul 26, 2023 09:04:44 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7637: Aug 03, 2023 12:35:35 pm
      On an Oasis b-side binge listen today.

B-side to Hindu Times
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25hOdPWLc8&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic

B-side to Some Might Say
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb6e2Brz9Nw&ab_channel=OasisVEVO

And then my all time favourite Oasis song, which was the B-side to Wonderwall
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPi2D6GK7A&ab_channel=OasisVEVO
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7638: Aug 06, 2023 07:44:32 pm
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #7639: Aug 06, 2023 09:03:26 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7640: Aug 10, 2023 11:08:14 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRKqWCnCFI

I still think he's got the best voice I've ever heard. How I'd love to have a singing voice like Michael Stipe's.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7641: Aug 10, 2023 11:20:20 pm

Talk Tonight might be my favourite b side of theirs, top 5 in Oasis tunes for me for sure. Oasis may have continued for a good 14 years after the release of Morning Glory and they released some fantastic tunes post 1995 for sure. But for those two years, 1994 and 1995, they did something remarkable. Oasis were not Britpop. That demeans them. They were so much better than that. So much better than the likes of Pulp, Suede, Blur - all excellent bands but none even coming close to the timelessness, sense of identity and melodic brilliance that Oasis had. Add a bit of attitude and edge from Liam Gallagher and it was perfect.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7642: Aug 11, 2023 12:06:00 am
      Talk Tonight might be my favourite b side of theirs, top 5 in Oasis tunes for me for sure. Oasis may have continued for a good 14 years after the release of Morning Glory and they released some fantastic tunes post 1995 for sure. But for those two years, 1994 and 1995, they did something remarkable. Oasis were not Britpop. That demeans them. They were so much better than that. So much better than the likes of Pulp, Suede, Blur - all excellent bands but none even coming close to the timelessness, sense of identity and melodic brilliance that Oasis had. Add a bit of attitude and edge from Liam Gallagher and it was perfect.

As an Oasis nut, I couldn't agree more with that post mate - with one exception and that is calling Blur excellent. It's not even the bias of the Oasis fan me, I just honestly can't see what people thought was so great about them. And how Country House hit number one ahead of Roll With It is just a disgrace.

I would extend their greatness to 97 as well just because I love the Be Here Now album, even if it often gets panned. Stand By Me is maybe my second favourite song of theirs after Masterplan so I can't question that album for that reason alone but The Girl In The Dirty Shirt, Don't Go Away, D'you Know What I Mean and I Hope, I Think, I Know are all songs as well that I can't help but just belt out whenever I listen to that album.

As I was writing this post I thought I'd go through another little stint of some more Oasis b-sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6b5NRfplA&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic
      b-side to Sunday Morning Call, which may be one of the most underrated Oasis songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozA1TpOQ5R4&ab_channel=BSidesandRemixes
      b-side to All Around The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBmCNmHeT1M&ab_channel=MeNpHiS69ESP
      b-side to Who Feels Love

And I don't think it was released as a b-side but this is up there as one of my fave Oasis songs as well
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaqEO6W1eI&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #7643: Aug 22, 2023 12:32:25 am
      https://youtu.be/78gR3Dlj7l0

W/Robbie Robertson, RIP
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7644: Aug 23, 2023 10:06:44 am
      Fat bottomed girls, cos its annoying the right folk. pmsl.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7645: Aug 23, 2023 11:26:07 am
      As an Oasis nut, I couldn't agree more with that post mate - with one exception and that is calling Blur excellent. It's not even the bias of the Oasis fan me, I just honestly can't see what people thought was so great about them. And how Country House hit number one ahead of Roll With It is just a disgrace.

I would extend their greatness to 97 as well just because I love the Be Here Now album, even if it often gets panned. Stand By Me is maybe my second favourite song of theirs after Masterplan so I can't question that album for that reason alone but The Girl In The Dirty Shirt, Don't Go Away, D'you Know What I Mean and I Hope, I Think, I Know are all songs as well that I can't help but just belt out whenever I listen to that album.

As I was writing this post I thought I'd go through another little stint of some more Oasis b-sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6b5NRfplA&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic
      b-side to Sunday Morning Call, which may be one of the most underrated Oasis songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozA1TpOQ5R4&ab_channel=BSidesandRemixes
      b-side to All Around The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBmCNmHeT1M&ab_channel=MeNpHiS69ESP
      b-side to Who Feels Love

And I don't think it was released as a b-side but this is up there as one of my fave Oasis songs as well
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaqEO6W1eI&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic

Great post. Fair point about Be Here Now. It was the last chapter of the original Oasis gang and is kind of a fitting closure to that period - naturally ending in cocaine fuelled fuzz which the music kind of reflected. Do You Know What I Mean is a top tier tune and I have a real soft spot for I Hope, I Think, I Know. I need to go back and listen to it from start to finish but haven't done so since I was in school so it's a long long time.

Shout out to this b side of theirs. One of their very best and would have brought up Standing on the Shoulders of Giants up a few notches or so. It's an interesting album that - with a bit more focus and a rethink of the track listing it could have been excellent. It has that nice early 00s sonic vibe to it and has a phenomenal centre of gravity that is Gas Panic! - one of their very very best and criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzn5uOv5gHs
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7646: Aug 23, 2023 03:15:08 pm
      Great post. Fair point about Be Here Now. It was the last chapter of the original Oasis gang and is kind of a fitting closure to that period - naturally ending in cocaine fuelled fuzz which the music kind of reflected. Do You Know What I Mean is a top tier tune and I have a real soft spot for I Hope, I Think, I Know. I need to go back and listen to it from start to finish but haven't done so since I was in school so it's a long long time.

Shout out to this b side of theirs. One of their very best and would have brought up Standing on the Shoulders of Giants up a few notches or so. It's an interesting album that - with a bit more focus and a rethink of the track listing it could have been excellent. It has that nice early 00s sonic vibe to it and has a phenomenal centre of gravity that is Gas Panic! - one of their very very best and criminally underrated.

Absolutely love that song and the chorus of "let's all make believe, that we're still friends and we like each other" couldn't be any more true to my life - especially where the family is concerned (immidiate family aside).

As for the album Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - I'm not a massive fan of the album tracks on there but the songs released Go Let It Out (typical Oasis style sing-a-long anthem), Where Did It All Go Wrong? (incredible song lyrically), Who Feels Love? (decent but not outstanding) and Sunday Morning Call (as I've already stated on this discussion is one of the most underrated Oasis songs in my opinion) were F***ing boss.

Similar to the next album, Heathen Chemistry, where the released songs were boss but the album tracks lost that 90s quality the earlier stuff had, whereas Don't Believe The Truth was the opposite for me. Lyla may be my worst Oasis single ever, The Importance Of Being Idle was enjoyable when it first came out but I quickly got bored of it and Let There Be Love always feels like there's a verse missing for me - whereas the album tracks like Mucky Fingers, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel and Part Of The Queue are some of the best stuff they did this century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwrSa0_0NzA&ab_channel=Oasis-Topic
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #7647: Aug 23, 2023 03:32:59 pm
      I was fortunate to see the great man live at the Hammersmith Palace sometime around 1986/87. What a talent he was.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #7648: Aug 23, 2023 04:55:26 pm
      Been listening to Chris Stapleton lately. Great musician.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #7649: Aug 23, 2023 07:20:30 pm

I Hope I Think I Know is an absolute belter.

Haven't listened to that in years but was a favourite of mine from Be Here Know
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #7650: Aug 23, 2023 11:35:25 pm
      https://youtu.be/Yam5uK6e-bQ?si=W5IRaaSO6JaiPW8m

One of the greatest songs of all time for me.

Dolores sorely missed.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7651: Aug 24, 2023 12:31:14 pm
      https://youtu.be/teKlrVqVrkA?si=nQcmmVfPmFcHf_PA

Only seems right we put it in here after the recent discussion.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7652: Aug 25, 2023 11:03:57 am

If they reunite, I've always wanted to see them get back with the original line up, (with Alan White on drums though). Guigsy will never come back but Bonehead and Alan White would be great to see on stage with Liam and Noel. White had a great jazzy style and Bonehead added that Mancunian heft to the band with his loudness. Not subtle but it added to the attitude.

I really wasn't a fan of Gem Archer and Andy Bell in Oasis. I think they wrote sh*t tunes and were not much cop as glorified session musicians. Archer especially who I've always thought to be utterly trite. My brother who is 10 times the fan as I am thinks even worse of him. A reunion should at least try to tap into the togetherness and dare I say nostalgia of the 90s Oasis, that was so brilliantly captured in the Supersonic documentary (maybe my favourite doc of the last few years)

Of course the reality is, if they did reunite it would be Archer along with Chris Sharrock on drums. And probably a couple more from the High Flying Birds band (that scouser who plays bass for Noel and his brilliant keyboardist who played for Oasis in the glory days).
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7653: Aug 25, 2023 02:52:43 pm
      If they reunite, I've always wanted to see them get back with the original line up, (with Alan White on drums though). Guigsy will never come back but Bonehead and Alan White would be great to see on stage with Liam and Noel. White had a great jazzy style and Bonehead added that Mancunian heft to the band with his loudness. Not subtle but it added to the attitude.

I really wasn't a fan of Gem Archer and Andy Bell in Oasis. I think they wrote sh*t tunes and were not much cop as glorified session musicians. Archer especially who I've always thought to be utterly trite. My brother who is 10 times the fan as I am thinks even worse of him. A reunion should at least try to tap into the togetherness and dare I say nostalgia of the 90s Oasis, that was so brilliantly captured in the Supersonic documentary (maybe my favourite doc of the last few years)

Of course the reality is, if they did reunite it would be Archer along with Chris Sharrock on drums. And probably a couple more from the High Flying Birds band (that scouser who plays bass for Noel and his brilliant keyboardist who played for Oasis in the glory days).

I dread an Oasis reunion in all honesty mate. It’d be such a big deal that it’d never live up to the expectation and would just be a big let down in my opinion. Though if (or when) it does happen then I’m with you all the way on the line up. That was the best version of Oasis.

But I’d prefer they just leave us with the memories of how great they were.

One thing that I’ve found really strange is in Oasis, I always preferred the songs Noel sang even though I obviously loved most of the songs Liam sang as well but since they’ve gone their separate ways I think almost everything Noel has done has been sh*t while a lot of Liams are not great lyrically but still sound boss with his voice.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7654: Aug 25, 2023 10:38:07 pm
      I dread an Oasis reunion in all honesty mate. It’d be such a big deal that it’d never live up to the expectation and would just be a big let down in my opinion. Though if (or when) it does happen then I’m with you all the way on the line up. That was the best version of Oasis.

But I’d prefer they just leave us with the memories of how great they were.

One thing that I’ve found really strange is in Oasis, I always preferred the songs Noel sang even though I obviously loved most of the songs Liam sang as well but since they’ve gone their separate ways I think almost everything Noel has done has been sh*t while a lot of Liams are not great lyrically but still sound boss with his voice.

I remember Liam sounding abysmal in the last few years of Oasis, especially that last Dig Out Your Soul tour. But he's really cleaned himself up and he sounds so much better live again. I actually loved Noel's 2017 album Who Built The Moon. It was something very different but was a proper belter of an album and in my view the most consistent of any album he's been involved in since Morning Glory. I've not really listened to much of Liam's solo work in all honesty but I like the fact that he conjured up his own solo career in the last few years rather than plodding along with the Oasis rejects in Beady Eye which was piss poor for the most of it.

I think a reunion tour would still work. When they split in 2009 on Dig Out Your Soul I think they really went through the motions with a tired set list and an album with only a couple of decent cuts off it. They all looked bored stiff and uninspired and that massive fight at the end was literally the most interesting thing that came out of that period. I'd like to think, with 14 years travelled, they could get back together in reflective mood and agree to put the effort in.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7655: Aug 26, 2023 10:13:44 am
      I remember Liam sounding abysmal in the last few years of Oasis, especially that last Dig Out Your Soul tour. But he's really cleaned himself up and he sounds so much better live again. I actually loved Noel's 2017 album Who Built The Moon. It was something very different but was a proper belter of an album and in my view the most consistent of any album he's been involved in since Morning Glory. I've not really listened to much of Liam's solo work in all honesty but I like the fact that he conjured up his own solo career in the last few years rather than plodding along with the Oasis rejects in Beady Eye which was piss poor for the most of it.

I think a reunion tour would still work. When they split in 2009 on Dig Out Your Soul I think they really went through the motions with a tired set list and an album with only a couple of decent cuts off it. They all looked bored stiff and uninspired and that massive fight at the end was literally the most interesting thing that came out of that period. I'd like to think, with 14 years travelled, they could get back together in reflective mood and agree to put the effort in.

https://youtu.be/LGfhStYcCZk?si=wVBNOey-XmL9Qf1H

My go-to song of Liam’s solo career so far. Unfortunately the official video has Cantona in though.

I was weary when they split up that both would just be releasing songs that was having sly digs at the other. I know there’s been the odd one here and there but thankfully it’s nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. And totally agree with him getting rid of Beady Eye, that really was the shits.

I think if they ever did get back together they’d both (all members) would put the effort in because they wouldn’t want the name of Oasis or their own legacy ruined. But I can’t see it happening. When you look at how Noel adores people like John Lennon and Paul Weller, both who’ve flat out dismissed ever reforming their groups, I can see Noel going the same way. Almost like if he did go back to Oasis it’d be admitting failure of his own stuff - not that the fans would see it that way but he might.

And this reminds me how much I’d love to see The Jam reunite if Weller wasn’t such a tit to refuse it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #7656: Aug 27, 2023 11:29:34 am
      https://youtu.be/LGfhStYcCZk?si=wVBNOey-XmL9Qf1H

My go-to song of Liam’s solo career so far. Unfortunately the official video has Cantona in though.

I was weary when they split up that both would just be releasing songs that was having sly digs at the other. I know there’s been the odd one here and there but thankfully it’s nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. And totally agree with him getting rid of Beady Eye, that really was the shits.

I think if they ever did get back together they’d both (all members) would put the effort in because they wouldn’t want the name of Oasis or their own legacy ruined. But I can’t see it happening. When you look at how Noel adores people like John Lennon and Paul Weller, both who’ve flat out dismissed ever reforming their groups, I can see Noel going the same way. Almost like if he did go back to Oasis it’d be admitting failure of his own stuff - not that the fans would see it that way but he might.

And this reminds me how much I’d love to see The Jam reunite if Weller wasn’t such a tit to refuse it.

I think they'll probably reunite, as soon as within thr next 2 years even. Both would probably be quite keen on a big pay day (especially after Noel's divorce) and going back to stadiums and selling them out is probably quite attractive to both of them. Despite not existing for 14 years they've still been able to renew their fanbase with legions of younger fans who weren't born even 10 years after their peak, listening to them today. I suppose that ability to attract new fans even after breakup shows their enduring appeal. It'd be something nice for them I suppose.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7657: Aug 27, 2023 03:08:46 pm
      I think they'll probably reunite, as soon as within thr next 2 years even. Both would probably be quite keen on a big pay day (especially after Noel's divorce) and going back to stadiums and selling them out is probably quite attractive to both of them. Despite not existing for 14 years they've still been able to renew their fanbase with legions of younger fans who weren't born even 10 years after their peak, listening to them today. I suppose that ability to attract new fans even after breakup shows their enduring appeal. It'd be something nice for them I suppose.

I'm still really torn on a reunion mate. I dread it in case they can't perform like the Oasis I grew up loving but I would love it to happen in case they can perform like the Oasis I grew up loving.

I think Liam would be keener on a reformation than Noel because I do think Noel would see it as some sort of failure - such is his arrogance. Although Liam is always considered the more arrogant of the two, Noel truly does believe he's some of god whereas I think Liam has calmed down a lot from those mid 90s outbursts.

But yeah, they always will attract new fans such is the quality of their music. And because of how much easier it is now to listen to music from yesteryear than it used to be, young uns will be able to find them and enjoy the music. Whereas I was relying on me dad's old cassettes to hear some of the bands that have since become my all-time favourites.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7658: Aug 28, 2023 12:43:29 pm
      If you only see 1 concert this year. Go see Turnstile. They're AMAZING live!

Quick Reply