Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Martin Kelly (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 164164 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Martin Kelly Player Thread
      Reply #1012: May 19, 2014 06:00:47 pm
      Pleasantly surprised that Kelly is staying, I thought he might have been one of the first to go.

Not sure Kelly will ever make it as a CB, but before his injuries I thought he was developing into a pretty good FB. Needs an injury free season and a few chances to show what he can do now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1013: May 20, 2014 08:13:33 am
      Not sure Kelly will ever make it as a CB, but before his injuries I thought he was developing into a pretty good FB.
      Strangely enough s@int I saw it the opposite way 'round and thought his run outs at full-back were merely to 'blood' him before a switch [same for Wisdom]. I'm not sure how high up any pecking order he would be but for me anyhow he'll have more chance of 'making it' at centre-half here or elsewhere.

That said; the fact he can play both roles might stand him in good stead.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1014: May 20, 2014 09:15:02 am
      I think he would be better suited to being a centre back, if he was to play right back then it would definitely solidify our back 4 a bit more but I'm not sure he'd offer enough in the final third in the way we need our full backs to do.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1015: May 20, 2014 09:57:04 am
      Always thought his best position would end up being centre back. As BBB says having that versatility is good, but I agree with mcarz that he just isn't that great as an attacking fullback. Useful player to have in the squad and I hope he improves this year and gets a few chances.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1016: May 20, 2014 10:30:18 am
      Really hope Martin can regain his full pace and mobility.
      I thought he was the best home grown player from the club for a very long time.

Remember, before his injury when he was still very young, many people considered him to be better than Johnson... who many consider to be about the best right back in England today..
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1017: May 21, 2014 03:51:45 am
      Strangely enough s@int I saw it the opposite way 'round and thought his run outs at full-back were merely to 'blood' him before a switch [same for Wisdom]. I'm not sure how high up any pecking order he would be but for me anyhow he'll have more chance of 'making it' at centre-half here or elsewhere.

I thought the same thing.  Kelly seems to have the body build of a CB more than a FB. 

I'm less convinced about Wisdom.... he's built like a brick sh*t house, but he doesn't seem to have the height or athleticism that I would look for in a CB.  Still, he has a lot of talent and could easily prove me wrong.

That said; the fact he can play both roles might stand him in good stead.

Good for us, but possibly bad for him.  Could end up being a jack of all trades, master of none.  Those types usually make great "utility players" but they rarely tend to be the first choice option....  Whatever he ends up doing, I'll be rooting for him as he is a very likable player!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1018: May 21, 2014 08:48:28 am
      I thought the same thing.  Kelly seems to have the body build of a CB more than a FB.

I'm less convinced about Wisdom.... he's built like a brick sh*t house, but he doesn't seem to have the height or athleticism that I would look for in a CB.  Still, he has a lot of talent and could easily prove me wrong.
      Maybe both will make it here but the odds are heavily stacked that neither will Harry... very few [a ridiculously low percentage, something like 1%] lads, with potential at an early age, 'make it'. However, the fact that they've made it this far, would give them some hope.

Fingers crossed.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1019: May 21, 2014 10:31:07 am

Agree with you both re: Kelly, but I've got to play devils advocate here (even though I also thought Wisdom was a little short to be a CB), and point out that Andre is 1.86m tall. Now, there was once another youngster who came through the ranks, he grew to 1.85cm tall and was told for some time that his best position was not centre back, but out at fullback. It took Rafa to come in and play him centrally for him to have his best seasons with us.

Not saying Wisdom is going to be as good a player as Carragher, but I don't think his height should hold him back. I think he's very strong and athletic, and if he can develop some of Carra's famed positional sense, he could very well end up as a talented centre back.

Sorry for going offtopic in the Kelly thread.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #1020: May 21, 2014 11:37:29 am
      If Johnson is shipped out in the summer then I see Kelly making the right back position his and then in a few years time shifting inside to centre half when either Randall or McLaughlin step up to become our right back.

By the time either Skrtel or Agger (possibly even both) could of left and the void could be filled by Marty.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1021: May 21, 2014 04:00:13 pm
      If Johnson is shipped out in the summer then I see Kelly making the right back position his and then in a few years time shifting inside to centre half when either Randall or McLaughlin step up to become our right back.

By the time either Skrtel or Agger (possibly even both) could of left and the void could be filled by Marty.

All depends if Martin ever gets back to full fitness after his horror injury. There was a rumour that last season his knee would swell up after playing a game which is worrying.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1022: May 26, 2014 05:32:31 pm
      has to play CB for us or not at all.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1023: Aug 05, 2014 11:44:56 am
      Looked like and played like he's been told by Brendan that last nights game would be his LFC swan song. He was shockingly woeful.

The injuries he's sustained clearly have taken their toll on the poor lad both mentally and physically. A shame but I think we ought to put him out of his misery and let him move on. I can't see him making it as a PL player let alone a Liverpool player.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1024: Aug 05, 2014 12:03:09 pm
      Forget how old he actually is. Hes not a kid anymore time is against him think hes best moving now
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1025: Aug 05, 2014 12:21:18 pm
      Regressed badly since his injury and I was always a big fan of him but I don't see where he fits in a Brendan Rodgers side. He definitely doesn't at full back anyway.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1026: Aug 05, 2014 03:25:53 pm
      Regressed badly since his injury and I was always a big fan of him but I don't see where he fits in a Brendan Rodgers side. He definitely doesn't at full back anyway.

Needs to be given a proper chance like Flanno was IMO.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1027: Aug 05, 2014 03:37:10 pm
      Needs to be given a proper chance like Flanno was IMO.

No point dont think he is a natural fullback and seeing as though we have a truck load of CB's cant see a place for him really esp with the two new Spanish boys due to land.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1028: Aug 05, 2014 03:42:59 pm
      No point dont think he is a natural fullback and seeing as though we have a truck load of CB's cant see a place for him really esp with the two new Spanish boys due to land.

There is every point, he looked like he was more than reliable at full back but hasn't been given a proper chance since his injury. He could still become a handy player to have around.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1029: Aug 05, 2014 04:25:42 pm
      There is every point, he looked like he was more than reliable at full back but hasn't been given a proper chance since his injury. He could still become a handy player to have around.

How long has he been back from his serious injury..........I think he has had plenty of time to show at least some glimpses if he is up to being a top full back........i have not seen any. Don't get me wrong I thought he was a great prospect, how old is he now 24? unfortunately I just dont think he will make it a LFC.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1030: Aug 05, 2014 06:11:38 pm
      Yeah it's clear he has lost some acceleration and some mobility since the injury. He has had a good run this pre-season but it has only really highlighted his limitations at full-back. I still think he could make a decent centre half somewhere, just not at LFC
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1031: Aug 05, 2014 07:32:58 pm
      Looks very uncomfortable on the ball, lacks the galloping pace he used to have... Hope he gets back to full fitness because he was a beast a few years back
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1032: Aug 05, 2014 11:12:41 pm
      Looks very uncomfortable on the ball, lacks the galloping pace he used to have... Hope he gets back to full fitness because he was a beast a few years back

He looked promising when he was younger i agree.
      And as someone else said, how long ago was his injury? Quite a while back if i remember correctly.
      He must surely be pretty fit.
      Thing is though, he always looks knackered, looks like he is reacting to a situation rather than being proactive and seems to struggling all the time to sync up with our movements. He seems bewildered most of the game.
      I think at best, he deserves one last loan out to a team where he'd get game time to finally get as much match practice as possible.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #1033: Aug 13, 2014 01:00:38 am
      Is LFC crazy.

Selling Kelly for 1.5 million. With a view to 2 million

Its a total rip off. Same with the Jonjo deal.

We end up paying over the odds for players and then sell ors for a cheap.

Real bad move. Not impressed at all. Dampened my estactic mood from the Moreno signing
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1034: Aug 13, 2014 02:17:35 am
      He's now massively down the pecking order. In his own position he's behind Manquillo, Johnson, Flanno even then if all 3 were out I'd still rather play Henderson or one of our CBs as I'm afraid this pre-season just confirmed what we'd all seen in the brief glimpses last season.

At first I hoped it was rust that he could shake off but even in his comments he says he's been fit "for a season" well unfortunately being fit isn't enough as he was getting waltz by from all and sundry.

Damn shame as a few years ago I saw him shoving Glen aside and claiming that position for himself and a few years ago Brendan saw enough to actually want to buy him as a CB. Injuries have played their part but perhaps the lack of pace he now shows has gone some way to show the tactical deficiencies in his game that his pace used to bail him out from.

I'm sure the improved contract we gave him has gone a long way to keeping his sell on price down but £1.5-£2m for a lad who never going to feature for us and getting probably £40-£50k off the wage bill is the right choice to take at this stage for all parties. Best of luck for the future Martin.

Quick Reply