Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Martin Kelly (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163587 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: Martin Kelly Player Thread
      Reply #989: Dec 06, 2013 11:13:49 am
      He's certainly been missed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #990: Dec 06, 2013 06:16:25 pm
      Good news to have him back training and hopefully challenging soon for a 1st team selection.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #991: Dec 06, 2013 07:15:57 pm
      Put him straight in at Right Back, not like he could play any worse than Johnson is at the moment, even if he isn't match fit.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #992: Dec 07, 2013 05:15:38 pm
      Great to see him back in the team.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #993: Dec 11, 2013 10:47:39 am
      Kelly: I'm finally fit enough to fight for my place
      Martin Kelly believes he’s finally ready to compete for a first-team place at Liverpool FC.

The 23-year-old defender has been battling to regain full fitness since rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Manchester United in September 2012.

Kelly returned to training back in pre-season but it has taken until now for him to get back to the required level to handle the demands of Premier League football.

The Academy graduate made his third substitute appearance of the campaign against West Ham at Anfield last Saturday and played for the under 21s earlier this week too .

He is hoping there will be more opportunities to shine over the festive period.

“It was a good chance for me to get some minutes,” Kelly told the ECHO.

“I’m feeling a lot sharper. I’ve been doing some additional training over the past few weeks and I’m ready to push on.

“It has taken longer than I hoped to get back to this level but that’s been brought on by us not being in the Europa League or having much of a run in the League Cup.

“It’s been difficult to get game time as the manager has to pick his best XI to start every game

“I was just made up to get on against West Ham and now I need to keep progressing. I’ve been working hard and I feel a lot fitter than back in pre-season.

“I don’t think there’s been a mental barrier to get through as such, it’s more about not feeling as sharp as I wanted.

“Ask anyone who has had a long-term injury and they’ll tell you it’s tough to get back to that level you were at before the injury.

“It takes time and it comes back slowly. Now I’m back nearly to peak fitness and I’m ready to go.”

Whiston-born Kelly replaced Jon Flanagan for the final 11 minutes against the Hammers as he filled in at left-back.

Most of his 57 appearances for the Reds have been on the other flank but he’s content to play wherever Brendan Rodgers needs him.

“I am happy playing anywhere across the back four for Liverpool,” he added. “I’ll just concentrate on my own fitness and do all the extra work I can.

“It’s a case of biding my time, being patient and making sure that when the manager gives me another opportunity I am ready to take it.”

Rodgers’ squad has been depleted by injuries to Daniel Sturridge, Jose Enrique and captain Steven Gerrard, while Jordan Henderson is battling to overcome a badly bruised ankle ahead of Sunday’s trip to Tottenham.

However, with spirits high following back to back wins over Norwich and West Ham, Kelly believes the Reds can maintain momentum.

“It’s a big one next weekend and we’re all concentrating on that,” he said.

“It will be a test of the squad, but we have got the depth to cope with that. Everyone is competing for places and there is healthy competition.

“The spirit is good. The Christmas period will test our character but we definitely have the mental strength to get through it.”

Echo

I'm so glad he's finally back.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #994: Dec 11, 2013 12:08:17 pm
      Good to see.
      I still have high hopes for the lad.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #995: Dec 11, 2013 02:01:26 pm
      Hope he plays as a center back instead of right back. i believe thats his best position.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #996: Dec 12, 2013 09:46:51 am
      Centre back is fine with Skrtel and Sakho. Slot him in at right back and either shift Glen over or continue with Flanno.

Delighted he's back. We're desperate for some depth in quality in our fullback positions.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #997: Dec 12, 2013 03:21:33 pm
      Wonder if he will be risked at the weekend, could certainly do with him as I am not convinced Flanno will be able to handle Lennon/Townsend.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #998: Dec 12, 2013 03:44:31 pm
      Weird one this.

Seriously thought he might be finished. 2 big injuries and come back each time half what he was. Played a bit this season and looked afraid on the pitch at best.

Then flanno jumps ahead of him seems to have lit a fire under him now hes back and looked really good for 20 mins against norwich.

Now id favour him to start sunday.

Some turnaround
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #999: Dec 12, 2013 04:30:15 pm
      I'd start him on Sunday. Play Johnson at left back and Kelly at right back. Not that Flanagan deserves to get dropped, just that Tottenham's biggest threat this season has come down the right and i think Johnson's pace to reduce the threat.

I still feel Kelly has a chance of making it here, he's clearly still determined,
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1000: Dec 12, 2013 05:27:11 pm
      Wonder if he will be risked at the weekend, could certainly do with him as I am not convinced Flanno will be able to handle Lennon/Townsend.

According to last night's Echo Kelly is fighting fit and raring to go:
      Kelly is fighting fit and ready to battle for place
      Martin Kelly believes that he is finally ready to compete for a regular first team place at Liverpool again - more than a year after he competed in back to back Premier League games for the Reds.
      The 23 year old ruptured his cruciate knee ligament against Man U in September 2012.
      ''It takes time and it comes back slowly now I'm back to pretty near peak condition and I'm ready to go'', he said.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1001: Dec 12, 2013 05:33:51 pm
      According to last night's Echo Kelly is fighting fit and raring to go:
      Kelly is fighting fit and ready to battle for place
      Martin Kelly believes that he is finally ready to compete for a regular first team place at Liverpool again - more than a year after he competed in back to back Premier League games for the Reds.
      The 23 year old ruptured his cruciate knee ligament against Man U in September 2012.
      ''It takes time and it comes back slowly now I'm back to pretty near peak condition and I'm ready to go'', he said.
      I really hope the lad comes back as good as before his injuries.
      I know this has probably stalled his career a bit, but at one time I thought he could play in our defense for years to come, so hopefully he hasn't lost any of his attributes.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1002: Dec 30, 2013 05:22:19 pm
      Don't know if the lad has had a relapse from the horrific injury he endured. I know better than most how damaging this injury is and I just fear he keeps getting knocked back just as he is feeling OK otherwise he would be playing a bit more right now. We need ya Martin and hope it's sooner rather than later you come back in!

Think it's more a case of Rodgers not having the balls to drop Johnson for some reason.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1003: Jan 07, 2014 05:02:24 pm
      Nice to see Kelly (Martin Kelly but Kelly Dalglish is always gorgeous too :D) come back in the right time. Hope he take his chance this time.
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #1004: Jan 07, 2014 09:32:07 pm
      Anyone at oldham's game can tell us about his performance?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1005: Jan 08, 2014 09:10:22 am
      Martin def seemed to be stretching out his legs out when on the overlap especially in the first half so maybe he is over his injury. Tried to work in tandem with Raheem but not particularly effectively as you can imagine with a new combination. He seemed to tire a bit in the second half going forward but was solid defensively.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1006: Jan 08, 2014 11:54:25 am
      Martin def seemed to be stretching out his legs out when on the overlap especially in the first half so maybe he is over his injury. Tried to work in tandem with Raheem but not particularly effectively as you can imagine with a new combination. He seemed to tire a bit in the second half going forward but was solid defensively.

Must admit I haven't watched the game yet but it's good you say he was solid defensively and although you also say he tired going forward in the second half, the fact he remained solid at the back is all that matters because first and foremost he is a defender. As he regains his match sharpness and everything it won't be long before he can get up and down the pitch like he was before.

I'd start him at Stoke, either in place of Johnson altogether or just at Right Back with Johnson moving to the left.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1007: Apr 06, 2014 11:30:27 pm
      Camera caught this lad just after we got our second

You could forgive the lad for looking miserable with his lack of game time, but I doubt any red looked happier then Martin did. That's huge to me. Says a lot about him and says a lot about our team spirit
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1008: Apr 07, 2014 12:23:03 am
      Camera caught this lad just after we got our second

You could forgive the lad for looking miserable with his lack of game time, but I doubt any red looked happier then Martin did. That's huge to me. Says a lot about him and says a lot about our team spirit

Even lads like Aspas who I'm sure is desperate to play/leave has been caught celebrating like a mad man. Our squad unity is amazing at the moment.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1009: Apr 19, 2014 03:37:24 pm
      Unless Johnson leaves I cant see the lad getting a game for LFC 1st team again, think we will strengthen in both LB an RB positions meaning there will be better players ahead of him (Wisdom,Flanno,Johnson, new RB)
      Think with injury history we either loan him out a full season or sell now.
      shame as he showed such great promise, but there's still a chance but he needs to grab it if it ever comes.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1010: May 19, 2014 04:28:50 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/162992-boss-kelly-will-get-his-chance-this-year

It seems that BR still has Kelly in his long term plans, and it would appear he is intending to convert him to a CB (played there against Shamrock Rovers the other day).  I have a feeling that BR sees Agger, Skrtel, and Sakho as our 3 senior CB's, with Kelly and Ilori providing youthful cover/competition.  Can see Kolo, Coates, and Wisdom all being shipped out.  Just my gut feeling on the issue. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1011: May 19, 2014 05:33:16 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/162992-boss-kelly-will-get-his-chance-this-year

It seems that BR still has Kelly in his long term plans, and it would appear he is intending to convert him to a CB (played there against Shamrock Rovers the other day).  I have a feeling that BR sees Agger, Skrtel, and Sakho as our 3 senior CB's, with Kelly and Ilori providing youthful cover/competition.  Can see Kolo, Coates, and Wisdom all being shipped out.  Just my gut feeling on the issue. 

Think many believed that's where Brendan saw his long term future as he tried to sign him for that position in the past. I wouldn't be too encouraged by the words though if I were Kelly, the wording doesn't exactly suggest he'll feature, more like he'll get the odd game here and there.

It might actually be better to loan him out for the first half of the season, of course before we do that we should see how he performs in pre-season.

Quick Reply