Is it right to support two teams

Read 24847 times
      King_Fernando_Torres
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Is it right to support two teams
      May 20, 2009 05:16:06 pm
      Quite a few people I know are man u fans BUt they also support their home town team which is Burnley

Ive been a Liverpool fan for over 20 years

They are always trying to wind me up especially a mate of mine and his brother who also supports the scum

I also know 2 brothers whos father is scottish and they support rangers, but they also support the scum

Surely you know where you loyalties lie

I know where mine lies

My question is:

Is it right to support 2 teams, I personally dont think it is

Whats your views...???
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2009 10:46:40 pm by redkenny, Reason: Title changed »
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Re: This absolutely annoys the hell out of me
      Reply #1: May 20, 2009 05:57:49 pm
      Well, it varies from individuals and sport field I guess and also there is a difference between a being fan and a supporter.

1. Individuals- Some people I know are die-hard fans of one team so that they are completely biased towards their team ad would tolerate no negative feedback about their team. Others may actively support one team but that does not stop them from having positive feelings about another team which they feel is doing well. and yea there are yet others who like to go with the team which is the 'best at the moment'! I know many people like that. They argument is that they are not 'biased' and only support 'good' football.

2. It depends if you are talking supporting more than one team from the same sports category (football- premier league; supporting manc and chelsea!!) or within-sport dimension (Football- Premier league, Bundesliga etc) or else supporting different teams for different sports (football, athletics  :boxing: etc). The first category seems rather unlikely though! I would not support 2 teams from the same category.

Well and then for me when you are a true fan,  :oranje: the team becomes an integral part of yourself so that you feel part of that team, form a kind of attachment and identify strongly with it, with everything about the team so that there is an "us" perspective vis-a-vis other teams (us and "them") so you would not be bothered to even have the idea or desire to support another team.. Loyal fans; not just supporters!!  :aaliverpoolwz0:

But at the same time I would not describe the other kind of 'supporters'  as selfish..

YNWA!

StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #2: May 20, 2009 06:34:01 pm
      It all depends on the person. For me, because Liverpool is an absolute passion of mine and a massive part of my life, I can't support any other football team, no matter what league or country they're from. I'm too loyal to LFC that i think personally, I couldn't do it. But I'm not saying that there's something wrong with it, people who may have been brought up in one area and then move can easily find their loyalties divided so it all depends.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: May 20, 2009 07:43:38 pm
      Well, it varies from individuals and sport field I guess and also there is a difference between a being fan and a supporter.

1. Individuals- Some people I know are die-hard fans of one team so that they are completely biased towards their team ad would tolerate no negative feedback about their team. Others may actively support one team but that does not stop them from having positive feelings about another team which they feel is doing well. and yea there are yet others who like to go with the team which is the 'best at the moment'! I know many people like that. They argument is that they are not 'biased' and only support 'good' football.

2. It depends if you are talking supporting more than one team from the same sports category (football- premier league; supporting manc and chelsea!!) or within-sport dimension (Football- Premier league, Bundesliga etc) or else supporting different teams for different sports (football, athletics  :boxing: etc). The first category seems rather unlikely though! I would not support 2 teams from the same category.

Well and then for me when you are a true fan,  :oranje: the team becomes an integral part of yourself so that you feel part of that team, form a kind of attachment and identify strongly with it, with everything about the team so that there is an "us" perspective vis-a-vis other teams (us and "them") so you would not be bothered to even have the idea or desire to support another team.. Loyal fans; not just supporters!!  :aaliverpoolwz0:

But at the same time I would not describe the other kind of 'supporters'  as selfish..

YNWA!

Excellent post i totally agree with the differences of a fan and a supporter, a fan will do anything to watch his/her team they would go to any lengths for the team as its all that matters, you throw every ounce of your passion belief and for that matter money at them in order to support your team.

A fan can have two teams as they dont commit fully to one or the other, they might think they do but how can you give everything to one team if all along you have one eye over your shoulder looking at your other one, i mean it would be like having two romances on the go at the same time.

Everybody has a soft spot for another team, on Merseyside most of us have Celtic or Rangers and then maybe one in la liga or Serie A but never ever do they come close to the love and loyalty i have for the Reds and i would hazard a guess 99.9% of the fans on here are the same (theres always one) its what makes Liverpool fans special. ;)
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: May 20, 2009 08:19:59 pm
      Whilst Liverpool is the only team that I really feel a connection with, insofar as it can dictate my mood to an unhealthy degree and cause me to end up in multiple arguments  ;D I have a bit of a soft spot for Celtic. However I can't call myself a fan because I don't keep track of how they're doing week in week out and I'll only go to the bother of watching one of their games if its on the telly at home. I think the main reason I have a soft spot for Celtic is to do with being Irish. (Not trying to make this a sectarian thing by the way!) The reason for this is quite possibly the fact that when you're growing up in Ireland, you start out and choose your team. I chose Liverpool where a lot of my friends chose the scum. This leads me to dislike my friends quite a bit of the time. :) However whilst we have complete opposite views and never agree on a lot of Premiership matters, Celtic provides us with a team that all of us get behind and it's possible to have some neautral footie talk! I have to admit, a lot of my mates know a lot more about Celtic than I do myself but its nice for us to be able to talk about football without it decending to the level of dirty manc bas**rds. The only other opportunity we get for this is the internationals, most of which aren't worth talking about! ;)
      Anyway the fact of the matter is I am "interested" in Celtic, whereas I am a die hard Liverpool fan. If Celtic won anything or lost anything in the morning, it wouldn't really affect me but with Liverpool I become an emotional wreck. An interesting thought came to me when Celtic and United drew each other in the Champions League. My dirty manc associates were left with a dilemma. Most of them wore their scum jerseys and I know had Liverpool been in that position, there was only one jersey that was going to see the light of day! At the end of the day I think whilst people can follow other clubs and be interested in how they do, you can only really devote yourself to one and that one and only for me is Liverpool.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: May 20, 2009 08:59:55 pm
      To support ManUre with Burnley is gloryhunting, plain and simple. They realise Burnley won't win the CL, so they "also support United".
      Those people are plastic, pathetic fans.

You support 1 club. That's how it is. LFC, and no others for me.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: May 20, 2009 09:05:49 pm
      My family are split right down the middle.

My Dad's side are all Liverpool fans and my Mum's are all Leeds Utd fans so growing up was a bit of a pain for me but thanks to some lovely cousins taking me to Anfield at a young age i quickly decided that LFC were the only team for me to support.

I will happily admit to going to the CL games at Elland Road back in 2000-2001 and i still follow the trials and tribulations of Leeds Utd to some degree as i think they have some good players in Beckford and Delph, what happened to that club is a footballing tragedy and should serve as a warning to all.

I'm 100% a Liverpool F.C. supporter and will always be a Liverpool F.C. supporter.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #7: May 20, 2009 09:09:58 pm
      My passion is for LFC pure and simple, however i have a soft spot for Chester City my place of birth, and Barcelona with their whole footballing ethos - Unicef sponsorship- etc. If either of these play the redmen -unlikely for Chester unless in a friendly- then this would vanish straight away. However next Wednesday will be praying for a victory for the Catalonians
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #8: May 20, 2009 10:04:05 pm
      Surely it's alright to have a soft spot for another team in another league. E.g. I am Liverpool through and through but I always do wan't Sydney FC to win in the local A-League. I don't have a passion or anything for Sydney FC, heck if you asked me to name 7 players i wouldn't be able to, it's just that they're the local side. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2009 10:39:21 pm
      For the Scousers who were born into a family supporting Liverpool Football Club at a time when we were winning titles and trophies on the biggest stage almost every year, this question is something that's hard to get. And several generations of us were born into just that. So, while my mate who's from Wigan couldn't give a shiny sh*te about Wigan Athletic and has been a die-hard Red since he was young, we didn't have to ever turn away from an embarrassing team and pretend by supporting someone more successful.

I am always thankful that I was born a Liverpool fan. I thank my lucky stars. And if we lost every single game next season, I'd still feel lucky to be a Liverpool fan. Always will, until I'm dead.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #10: May 20, 2009 10:55:56 pm
      I suppose there's always going to be one team that you're devoted to and then maybe another who you look out for.

Personally for me, it's just LFC. Always has and always will be. But I look out for AFC Liverpool these days now.

I remember the last place I worked in though there was actually a fella who was a scouser and he was an everton fan, a manc fan and an Arsenal fan. He was also a F***ing weirdo!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: May 20, 2009 11:03:57 pm
      Difficult for me to answer as I am from Liverpool and Liverpool are my local team.  So I couldn't comprehend what it must be like to passionately support Liverpool and have another club more local to yourself.

The only way I can put it in to context is with other sports.  I wouldn't mind if St Helens won everything in Rugby League, and I suppose if someone had to win the cricket it would be Lancashire - but certainly I don't think it is feasible to have passionate support for more than one club in the same sport, regardless of divisions etc.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: May 20, 2009 11:07:42 pm
      I suppose there's always going to be one team that you're devoted to and then maybe another who you look out for.

Personally for me, it's just LFC. Always has and always will be. But I look out for AFC Liverpool these days now.

I remember the last place I worked in though there was actually a fella who was a scouser and he was an everton fan, a manc fan and an Arsenal fan. He was also a f**king weirdo!
      Was his address HMP Broadmoor?
      i follow Northampton as it's my home town, but it doesn't effect my mood or worry me if they lose.  LFC unfortunately effects me for several days after the game.  The anticipation before the game and then the bloody torment during!
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #13: May 20, 2009 11:20:32 pm
      In different sports it's definitely easy to support 2 teams. Liverpool and the Minnesota Vikings (NFL) have been my teams since I was 8 years old. My Stepdad is a Magpie and my brother likes the Mancs, and after watching Owen score a dazzling goal in the 98' world Cup Liverpool was my team.  Just because I watch football on Saturdays, and American football on Sundays doesn't mean I love one any less than the other.

Also, as a Canadian, I've recently been to a few TFC (Toronto) matches, and I've got a soft spot for them too. The football in MLS is crap but the atmosphere in Toronto is pretty good, considering it is what it is. The fans are unbelievable, after taking a corner opposing players look like their caught in a giant spiders'-web of red streamers. It's like supporting a local team that will never play LFC, no harm in helping out aspiring footballers.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: May 20, 2009 11:27:27 pm
      Being from Northern Ireland it seems the norm for most people to support an English team along with either Celtic or Rangers.  But more often than not this is unfortunately a sectarian thing and most of them can't even be classified as football supporters never mind being a fan of either club.  I'll bet you if ya come across a Northern Irish fellow they'll support one of Celtic or Rangers and one of Liverpool or United.  Not surprising that we've got a reputation for being gloryhunting bas**rds :D

Not to tarnish all Irish football fans with the same brush, there are genuine fans of all clubs whether you're Liverpool, United, or Burnley, as long as you support ONE club...my good self included ;D    Having Rangers and Celtic forced down your throat because you're either a protestant or catholic is the reason I now hate both clubs with a passion.  I had Rangers forced down my throat as a kid and even though as a team I don't particularly mind them, in my experience of some of their ''supporters'', they disgust me.  Give me a Celtic fan anyday even though i'd prefer Rangers as a team. 

Anyways its a shame that Northern Ireland especially has to be tarnished with this aspect of life and if you have a genuine support for either and only Rangers or Celtic then fair play to you.  As for me, I wasn't born in Liverpool but I've been there enough times to enjoy the thrill of watching the reds play and there's nothing like it...nothing even comes close.  I just thank my late Gran everyday that she got me into the best thing in the world and thats LFC ;)
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #15: May 20, 2009 11:52:53 pm
      I'm from waterford ireland and here's my top 3 teams that i support.
      1. Liverpool
      2. Liverpool Reserves
      3. Liverpool Youths

Get the drift people.  Anyone who supports 2 clubs are as confused as a nun at an orgy!  They might aswell have 2 religions while they're at it.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: May 21, 2009 12:04:27 am
      Great post...poster.
      I am also local so find it hard to support any other team, to be honest i dont even like any other sports, i find them really boring to watch, maybe only motor racing because of the crashes.

as far as other teams go , i always have looked at the other local teams scores   ie/ chester, wrexham (both now relegated), preston, wigan and crewe.

in a funny way i have a soft spot for West Ham, why because i like the colours and my dad bought me the w ham top when i was a kid cuz it was cheap, i got batter in our school pe changing rooms for wearing it.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #17: May 21, 2009 12:08:36 am
      Difficult for me to answer as I am from Liverpool and Liverpool are my local team.  So I couldn't comprehend what it must be like to passionately support Liverpool and have another club more local to yourself.

The only way I can put it in to context is with other sports.  I wouldn't mind if St Helens won everything in Rugby League, and I suppose if someone had to win the cricket it would be Lancashire - but certainly I don't think it is feasible to have passionate support for more than one club in the same sport, regardless of divisions etc.
      Prescot Cables are your local team, surley you shoudl be supporting them... ha ha.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #18: May 21, 2009 12:12:54 am
      I think its OK so long as they arnt in the same league.

I also support my local side Lancaster City. Theyre 7 divisions below Liverpool, and its like a completely different world. I love it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,154 posts | 3385 
      Reply #19: May 21, 2009 12:17:49 am
      Personally I don't think you can support or even love two clubs. If the two clubs you claim to support face each other then you'd always want one to win more than the other, so why not just support that one club?

I know there's folks from other parts of the globe who follow Liverpool and there own local side but for me they are fans who just don't wish to be labelled as glory hunters. They think by saying "i follow my local side Swindon" (for arguments sake) that it hides away their hunting for glory. If you wish to follow Swindon then there's no reason to follow Liverpool as well and if you want to follow Liverpool then there's no need to follow Swindon. I know a lot of people who look out for the results of those nearest them, but following more than one club doesn't make sense to me.

I know a few Reds who went down to Wembley in 2000 for the Worthington Cup final between Tranmere and Leicester because it was a final and they were jumping on the Rovers bandwagon. They hadn't been to Prenton Park all year, hadn't even bothered to worry about where Tranmere had ended up in the league (if memory serves me right they went down that year) but come a final they're there. It's pathetic.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #20: May 21, 2009 12:25:38 am
      Personally I don't think you can support or even love two clubs. If the two clubs you claim to support face each other then you'd always want one to win more than the other, so why not just support that one club?

I know there's folks from other parts of the globe who follow Liverpool and there own local side but for me they are fans who just don't wish to be labelled as glory hunters. They think by saying "I follow my local side Swindon" (for arguments sake) that it hides away their hunting for glory.

What about us people who follow our local sides because we want to do something more than sit in an armchair and watch MOTD every weekend because youre more likely to score Emma Bunton than LFC tickets?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,154 posts | 3385 
      Reply #21: May 21, 2009 12:34:31 am
      What about us people who follow our local sides because we want to do something more than sit in an armchair and watch MOTD every weekend because youre more likely to score Emma Bunton than LFC tickets?

Then follow your local side and not Liverpool.

I, as a Scouser, can't see how you can have a passion for two clubs. If Liverpool drew Swindon (again just as an example) in the FA Cup and you (not personally but you as anybody who "follows" two clubs) follow Liverpool and Swindon which side would you want to win? If it's Swindon then you don't follow Liverpool and if it's Liverpool why hand support to Swindon when it's clear your love lies with Liverpool.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #22: May 21, 2009 12:44:27 am
      Then follow your local side and not Liverpool.

I, as a Scouser, can't see how you can have a passion for two clubs. If Liverpool drew Swindon (again just as an example) in the FA Cup and you (not personally but you as anybody who "follows" two clubs) follow Liverpool and Swindon which side would you want to win? If it's Swindon then you don't follow Liverpool and if it's Liverpool why hand support to Swindon when it's clear your love lies with Liverpool.

Thats the thing though. My local side is never going to play Liverpool. Theyve never gone further than the first round of the FA Cup. So that scenario would never occur. And even if it did for some miracle reason, then yes I would support Liverpool. But why should stop me going to enjoy some quality non league football every week on the old terraces and supporting my grass roots hometown team?

Quick Reply