Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Is it right to support two teams

Read 24715 times
      Edwin9
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #161: May 31, 2009 06:22:51 am
      To be honest here, I only started supporting Liverpool since the 06/07 season. I'm a newbie, I know. There are so many things I don't know, like the culture of Liverpool FC, the history, the past players and all. But somehow no matter how much I do not know, there's something I'm absolutely sure of: my passion for Liverpool FC. It's like a flame that never burns out! It proved on the night I was on RAWK reading up about the Hillsborough event. The pics from Anfield this year brought a lump to my throat. Many times, the players, the staff, the manager, Anfield... EVERYTHING about LFC stunned me. When Torres equalized at Old Trafford, I literally jumped on my chair and it fell to the ground with me. Was a mess after that! Every week I look forward to match days. I have since bought 3 shirts, a pullover, received a CL scarf, LFC adidas ball...etc. Probably not as many as most of you out there though. It's like I was born to support Liverpool, even though I'm not English, not scouse, and living so far away from the city I've always wanted to visit since 2006. Am from Singapore by the way.
      In the face of such a massive club full of culture and great characters, I'm more than glad to humble myself and learn as much as I can from anyone who loves Liverpool FC. Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, Souness... I've never been in that era. But they are people who amazed me in pictures.
      I'll never support another club in my life.
      Because, like you all, I was born a Red.
      Fact.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #162: May 31, 2009 12:31:40 pm
      The OOT debate doesn't just apply to Liverpool.  I live in South Yorkshire and I am constantly accused at work of being a glory hunter for supporting Liverpool.  It's only when I tell them I was born in a Liverpool postcode that they think it's acceptable.

I've supported Liverpool FC since I first started watching footy on tv around 1971 at the age of 11, even though it was mainly Leeds and Chelsea who featured at that time. 

However, my kids both support Sheffield Wednesday as they were brought up in Sheffield so for their sake I keep an eye on their results.  My fella supports Barnsley so for his sake I like to see them do well also.  That changed obviously when we drew them in the FA Cup 07/08 season.

Like many people on here Liverpool FC are my life, my religion and I feel physically sick when we lose but it doesnt stop me "following" another teams results.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #163: May 31, 2009 11:47:07 pm
      There's only one team for me, always has been, always will be.

The one and only.....LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

Born a RED, die a RED.

Can't ever imagine supporting anybody else to be honest, yes, I watch other sports, and yes, I like other sports and teams, but nothing comes close to my love of LFC.

I would support Liverpool if they were right down in the depths of the lowest division.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #164: Jun 01, 2009 12:06:38 am
      I have never ever thought of it being OK to support another team. My family brought me up to support LIVERPOOL.

As others have said, I do have sweet spots for other teams in football and other sports but would never class it as my 2nd team.
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -2 
      Reply #165: Jun 01, 2009 02:22:42 pm
      basically summed up reckon a lot of people are saying they don't support anyone else but follow and like to see other teams do well and i think that's fine. haven't been on in a while so didn't reply when i mentioned i wouldn't mind seeing everton do well. my reasoning behind that is that they are a local club and i would love to be able to live in the time where reds and blues could share a bus to go see the games, if your traveling from the wirral to see a game and the train is full of blues and your a red you don't feel like your about to get your head kicked in or don't actually get your head kicked in.

Reds call the blues bitters and fine they can be bitter we are on a roll and they are jealous, doesn't mean we have to be bitter, best way to fight there bitterness is too offer our support to them (as long as it doesn't conflict with liverpool of course) wasn't gutted or even that bothered they didn't get the FA but said at kick off would prefer them to win it to the chavs. but that's my opinion and that's why forums exist so people can put down there opinion.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #166: Jun 15, 2009 10:59:11 pm
      I know I am a little late but here is my thought anyway

I think it depends on which team is your "other" team. If your other team is a much smaller, local team, then I can understand having a 2nd one. But, I haven't the faintest clue how someone can be a United fan as well as us. I mean, how does that work exactly? Ok, I am going to root for....this team today. What?

I have a friend who has been a Chelsea fan, United fan, and then said he wanted to support Liverpool. I just shook my head and chuckled a bit. Poor guy wants to be a part of something special but since he can't really get into "it" he just goes back and forth with teams.
      JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #167: Jun 16, 2009 01:43:22 am
      haha sounds like hes a fan of who ever is winning :) hehe i would love to see cardiff do well for themselves as there my local team :) but i love and support liverpool
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #168: Jun 17, 2009 11:39:35 am
      Well I support my hometeam of Barrow and Liverpool
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #169: Jun 17, 2009 11:50:30 am
      I don't see why not especially if they're your local team
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #170: Jun 18, 2009 03:15:16 pm
      I don't see why not especially if they're your local team

Like me but i still am half scouse as I have relatives born from  there :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Two Team Fans
      Reply #171: Mar 03, 2011 11:19:46 am
      There seem to be many people who support two clubs and I know it has been going on for years and hardly a new thing but it puzzles me.

I've noticed over the last few months more people on the forum seem to support two clubs and I'm not out to criticise or wind you up. I just would like to hear your thoughts on why you follow two clubs and how you split your time, emotions and support for these teams.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one club for me and I could not imagine supporting another. Liverpool is football in my opinion.

Good to hear your thoughts on this.
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011 08:40:25 pm by srslfc »
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #172: Mar 03, 2011 11:27:19 am
      I have a Barcelona shirt - smart as - love the way they play - but I only have one team and thats LFC
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #173: Mar 03, 2011 11:28:55 am
      Sorry for starting a new thread mods!

Shouldn't have been such a lazy b*****d and done a search.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #174: Mar 03, 2011 11:30:02 am
      Sorry for starting a new thread mods!

Shouldn't have been such a lazy b*****d and done a search.

Don't worry, I found it in The Kop anyway, so it needed moving. ;)

And it hasn't been posted in for a while, so plenty of new members can give their opinions.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #175: Mar 03, 2011 11:58:50 am
      You can support a team and have sympathy for another. I support Lyon and have sympathy for Liverpool. But properly, I don't think we can support two teams at the proper meaning of the word.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #176: Mar 03, 2011 04:37:17 pm
      I don't think it is wrong to support two teams if they are not ever going to play each other. I have supported the Chicago Fire in the States since they began in 1998. I have supported Liverpool since 2006. The Chicago Fire play in the summer so there is minimal overlapping of schedules. I do what I can to watch all the games of both teams. Both teams are Red and when I go to Fire games I see Liverpool jerseys around the stadium as well. I think you can support two teams and not sacrifice your love for either team.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #177: Mar 03, 2011 04:44:31 pm
      You can support two teams, no problem. But there will always be one that wins out in the end, as far as your support goes. I mean i follow my home team back in Australia - but if they ever came up against Liverpool in a game (no chance of it really, but just an example) i would support Liverpool like i always do. Why? Because Liverpool were there before that team for me, i have always supported Liverpool, and that team just doesn't have the same history and story and passion behind it that Liverpool has. Liverpool is not just a team, its a family. The same can not be said for any other team i know of.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #178: Mar 03, 2011 08:24:12 pm
      Dave is right.

Liverpool FC is very special. Granted, we may have been below par in the last 2 years but no club can take the tradition, history, love and togetherness our club possess. I love Liverpool FC the most but it's not true that I will support them till the day I die. I will support them even after that. ;D

FC Barcelona is my Spanish team but I hardly watch them in the Spanish League. Also, I have to be honest and say I also like Arsenal mainly for the way they play and they're probably the better set of people ahead of Mancs and Chavs. But if there happens to be a Liverpool/Barcelona or Liverpool/Arsenal match, it would definitely be a Barcelona and Arsenal loss ;) Also have to be honest, if there was no Liverpool FC at all, I would have probably ended up being an Arsenal fan.

I think it's just simple - I love and support Liverpool and I like but not necesarrily support Arsenal or Barcelona.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Liverpool, Swansea City, and Me
      Reply #179: Jun 14, 2011 10:47:11 pm
      Just wanted to share, it's like the Alamo down here in South Wales.

Supported Liverpool FC for over 30 years now. But my home town club Swansea City have just won promotion to the Prem. Cue all my footy mates ribbing me, asking me who I'd want to win when Liverpool play Swansea City. Cue all the anticipated glee when they envisioned me squirming in my indecision.

Who would you want to win they said, Liverpool, or your home club Swansea City? You've lived in Swansea all your life, man and boy, boy and man. It's going to be really tough isn't it?

See there faces when I said I hope Liverpool tear them to shreds. Could have heard a pin drop

There's no place in my heart for Liverpool FC I said to them.

Liverpool FC 'IS' my heart.

And don't ever forget it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,284 posts | 934 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Liverpool, Swansea City, and Me
      Reply #180: Jun 14, 2011 11:15:35 pm
      Remember the last time Swansea were in the top division, did well first season, few old Liverpool players, well welcome back enjoy, it's going to be a hard slog.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #181: Jun 14, 2011 11:16:22 pm
      I know it was only a friendly, but last summer a Liverpool XI played my adopted hometown club Galway United, it's the actual closest to a home town I have I guess, but I supported Liverpool in that.

As you said Rush, Liverpool is in my heart.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #182: Jun 14, 2011 11:42:22 pm
      With all due respect mate, this sort of stuff has been done countless times in god knows how many threads. The one I remember most vividly is the can you support two teams one which'll be flying around somewhere.

Gets a bit heated with people supporting lower league or even non league fans saying it doesn't matter cos Liverpool and Torquay (as an example) will never meet each other and so on and so on. There was a good scrap in it with somebody supporting an American Football (I think, might of been another American sports team don't know who plays what over there as they all have dodgy names) as well as Liverpool.

So don't be too surprised if this ends up getting merged with another thread or if this thread goes down a similar route with people arguing the toss over the subject.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #183: Jun 14, 2011 11:57:20 pm
      I must say I have a soft spot for Swansea. My Grandma has lived in Mumbles for about ten years and I love the city. I always used to look out for their results over the last few seasons. I'm glad they're in the Premier League, but, like any other team we play I hope we absolutely destroy them.

With all due respect mate, this sort of stuff has been done countless times in god knows how many threads. The one I remember most vividly is the can you support two teams one which'll be flying around somewhere.

I remember the thread. Just looking for it now.

EDIT. Topic merged.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011 12:06:45 am by paulrobbo »

Quick Reply