Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Is it right to support two teams

Read 24719 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #184: Jun 15, 2011 12:31:10 am
      With all due respect mate, this sort of stuff has been done countless times in god knows how many threads. The one I remember most vividly is the can you support two teams one which'll be flying around somewhere.

Gets a bit heated with people supporting lower league or even non league fans saying it doesn't matter cos Liverpool and Torquay (as an example) will never meet each other and so on and so on. There was a good scrap in it with somebody supporting an American Football (I think, might of been another American sports team don't know who plays what over there as they all have dodgy names) as well as Liverpool.

So don't be too surprised if this ends up getting merged with another thread or if this thread goes down a similar route with people arguing the toss over the subject.
      Not a problem, I've never read a similar thread probably because I've not been here long enough. It's a completely new scenario for me, thus my reason for posting it.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #185: Jun 15, 2011 01:26:22 am
      It's such an interesting debate that puts generations against generations, countries against countries, mentalities against mentalities. Peoples opinions will differ wherever you go. Here in Australia for example, you could explain supporting more than one team with some justification as we are the babies of the world with no true culture of our own. It just depends how genuine you are and how much you love your club and the sport that dictates how people will see you - for me, my old man was a great player and a Liverpool supporter since he was a kid watching our first European Cup triumph and I've proudly inherited that like nothing else, except my other closest club, my AFL club, which started out as a small suburbs club in South Australia that my grandmother worked in the kitchens for, serving the players etc. The football club I played for and my brother plays for, Graeme Souness spent time on loan at (West Adelaide) which is even something I feel proud of. I am just a person who believes in tradition, comes from the Greek blood wouldn't it.

We get into a lot of sport down here which really I guess taints true loyalty to just one sport and one club. We are spoiled with choice and with the internet. I've got a bunch of mates I follow PSG with because years ago we would start FIFA franchises and always buy Sessengon cos he was sweet. But I would not say Paris are in my heart. In my first days of High School my German teacher gave us all Bundesliga clubs in a bid to get us more into the language; good trick as not only am I continuing studies in said language but I drew Bayern Munich out of a hat and have had a wild time following them. I must say I've grown to love Bayern but it wouldn't be a contest if we came against them in the CL, I am a Red.

Oh and then there's Norwich City. Start of this year a bunch of kids from Norwich landed in my mates house fresh out of graduating and it took about a month before we realised the impact of the British Invasion. But for me, my mind was blown apart when my favorite startlet Dani Pacheco went on loan to the very club a bunch of kids just came from, that I had never given a second thought before, and from then I watched the rest of their games until they qualified.

In summary I believe there are many levels of support, but only the person knows how genuine they are about their club. Or maybe I'm kidding myself and we're all whores of sport down here in Aus?
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011 01:32:46 am by Del Boca Vista »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #186: Jun 15, 2011 01:42:22 am
      I support one club, I follow several.  I don't think I can put it simpler than that.  I don't support the other teams I follow, most have been just a proximity or family connection thing. 
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #187: Jun 15, 2011 09:36:32 am
      When Liverpool played my local team in 2005 CL qualifiers, I wanted my local team to get trashed. Carra scored a goal in that game.
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #188: Jun 15, 2011 12:57:48 pm
      I support one club, I follow several.  I don't think I can put it simpler than that.  I don't support the other teams I follow, most have been just a proximity or family connection thing. 

Spot on Roddenberry. I always look out for Ranger's results 'cos my best mate is a fan and my step dad is a Macam, but when/if we play each other it's The Reds to win everytime.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #189: Jun 15, 2011 01:05:34 pm
      I support loads of different teams.

They are just in different sports ;)

Liverpool FC, Warrington Wolves, Lancashire County Cricket Club.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #190: Jun 17, 2011 10:09:01 pm
      I support loads of different teams.

They are just in different sports ;)

Liverpool FC, Warrington Wolves, Lancashire County Cricket Club.
      But which do you love more?

LFC :)
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #191: Jun 17, 2011 10:55:24 pm
      If you watch every game whenever possible you're a Liverpool fan. If you have a passing interest in other leagues/teams that doesn't affect your love and support of Liverpool then you're still a Liverpool fan.

If at any time you decide to follow another side on a match day then you're not a true Liverpool fan.

There are varying degrees of fans and no one should tell anyone who is a "better" fan as everyone's situations are different but if in your heart watching Liverpool isn't 99% of the time your first wish (weddings/funerals are obvious acceptable exceptions) then you'll never be a true Liverpool fan.

There is some bad news for the OOT's though and I don't say this to get one up or to put any of you down. No matter what city/state/village etc you live in, you can never feel that added bonus of the club from the city of your birth being successful. I love watching the American sports and Football from all over the world and I get excited and have a genuine affection for many teams but there's only one side I have an unconditional love for and that is LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #192: Jun 17, 2011 11:09:51 pm
      I'm quite content in supporting Heart of Midlothian and Liverpool.... started at much the same time (mid 1980s) and have remained.

Remember walking out of Hampden in 2006 after I had watched Heart of Midlothian win the cup on pens....eavesdropping a conversation about the FA Cup Final...'Liverpool won?' 'Aye, pens..'

Nice big grin.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #193: Jun 20, 2011 01:08:51 pm
      I don't care about any other team than Liverpool. I have supported them all my life and are my local team, so why should I?

I don't understand how people can follow more than one team, but then again I have been lucky that I was born where I was.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #194: Jun 20, 2011 01:21:59 pm
      I have to be honest and say I like Arsenal and Barcelona (they're like my Spanish team) but I don't necessarily support them.

Whenever Liverpool plays either one of them, it will always be a Liverpool win for me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #195: Jun 20, 2011 01:23:46 pm

Tough one, Warrington and Liverpool are on a par, in that it isn't possible to love clubs any more than I do those two.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #196: Jun 20, 2011 04:05:41 pm
      You can follow more than one team & indeed enjoy watching more than one team, but you can only support one.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #197: Jun 20, 2011 10:16:26 pm
      I was born in Miami but spent my formative years in San Diego. I support teams from both areas rather passionately, but if they meet, I tend to root for San Diego as I live there now.

As far as football, I support LFC through and through. I'd never miss a match if I could. I don't care if we're up against a 4th division side and Chelsea are playing Man U for the title. I'm watching Liverpool no matter what. I will, however, follow Swansea, as my granddad was born there, and it's my closest connection (generation wise) to the British Isles. But when we face them, F**k the Swans :D

I do think it's possible to support two teams in the same sport, but it's a tricky one and you will inevitably favor one.
      Jesus Hearts LFC
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts |
      Reply #198: Jun 21, 2011 02:53:18 am
      I honestly believe you can only have a heart for one club, just like you can only have a TRUE heart for one woman. NOTHING could ever get in between Liverpool and my heart, and any other "club" would just be an infatuation, like that little "special feeling" you get when you look at, let's say, Keeley Hazell back in her prime. Feels good for a second, or perhaps 10 minutes, but after that you get bored and just want that deeper intimacy you have with your lady.

LFC only.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #199: Jun 21, 2011 05:51:24 pm
      It is difficult i believe to support teams who are at the same level. I support teams at different levels and do not believe they will ever be at the same level. There is a very small chance they could meet in the cup but Liverpool all the way if that were to happen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #200: Jun 21, 2011 09:14:57 pm
      I do support 2 teams, and in the unlikely event of having to pick one (which only happened once, when Flamengo faced Liverpool in the World Club Championship 1981, and I wasn't even born), it would probably be Flamengo, as it's the club of my city and country. I'm not ashamed to admit that, even in a LFC forum, as I think anyone here who could diminish my opinions because of that is simply a fool. But I don't really believe in national borders, especially in football - and I fell in love with LFC.

I speak for myself and for countless others in similar situations that it's not easy - multiply for 2 the stress of following every detail of a football club - and I'm also certain that a lot of fans, despite their 'monogamy', are not even half as loyal as I am. 

I'm proud of being a Liverpool fan and proud of my knowledge of the club's history as well. 

Judge if you want. ;)

Quick Reply