Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Is it right to support two teams

Read 24721 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #23: May 21, 2009 01:02:07 am
      Thats the thing though. My local side is never going to play Liverpool. Theyve never gone further than the first round of the FA Cup. So that scenario would never occur. And even if it did for some miracle reason, then yes I would support Liverpool. But why should stop me going to enjoy some quality non league football every week on the old terraces and supporting my grass roots hometown team?

So just because we're never gonna face your local side means you can support two clubs does it? I don't see how you can have passion for two clubs. If, as you claim, you're a Liverpool fan then it's Liverpool where your loyalty should lie. And you should be making every possible way to follow Liverpool whenever they play. While your gallivanting supporting Lancaster or whoever it was, you're not following the club who you claim you'd support if it came to the crunch which I wouldn't consider as support.

Follow Lancaster by all means, but don't follow Liverpool. Or follow Liverpool and not Lancaster. You can't support two clubs in my opinion.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: May 21, 2009 01:16:00 am
      Liverpool is the team for me and the team that is in my heart. However, i am also a keen follower of Sliema Wanderers but thats because my dad is from Sliema and they were the second team i heard of and that was at a very young age, although i wouldn't say that they are in my heart or a team i feel as much passion for as i do with Liverpool.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: May 21, 2009 01:18:46 am
      How are Liverpool fans glory hunters, any of them? I don't think finishing in 2nd place or below for the last 20 years warrants any glory hunters, they're all on the Man u bandwagon by now.

There's no shame in loving any team that can never play Liverpool. Especially if it's a completely different sport. To put it differently, Do you love face melting guitar riffs? Does your love of face melting guitar riffs interfere with your love of Liverpool.. no.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #26: May 21, 2009 01:20:00 am
      Follow Lancaster by all means, but don't follow Liverpool. Or follow Liverpool and not Lancaster. You can't support two clubs in my opinion.

Like I said before, non league football is like a completely different sport. Its a different culture. I wouldnt be able to support them if they were a football league team. Im mates with most of the players and and board members at Lancaster, so its very different to the distant high class nature of the Premiership.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #27: May 21, 2009 01:33:52 am
      I've got a couple of friends who are Liverpool 'fans' but they would never dream of signing up to a forum.  One of them is big in to rugby and goes to most Gloucester games. 

He would take delight in a Champions League win and a Premier League victory, but he's never been to Anfield and I'll bet he doesn't know who we're playing this weekend.

Supporting two clubs is like having an affair.  And if you have an affair I'll be willing to bet you won't be madly in love with both the women/men.  Impossible to passionately support two clubs, even in different sports.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #28: May 21, 2009 02:22:53 am
      I dont think that its possible to support two teams i was born and bred in Dublin but have no interest in Irish football not even that bothered about the national team to be honest.

So its never been an issue for me its always been Liverpool if that makes me a glory hunter well so be it but i dont feel any less of a fan because i was'nt actually born in the city. I have always felt a strong connection to the club and always will, being the youngest of five brothers all Liverpool supporters i was never gonna be a manc i would have had it beaten outta me  ;D ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #29: May 21, 2009 03:10:37 am
      Like I said before, non league football is like a completely different sport. Its a different culture. I wouldnt be able to support them if they were a football league team. Im mates with most of the players and and board members at Lancaster, so its very different to the distant high class nature of the Premiership.

It might just be me but I don't see how non league football and Premiership football are different sports. Surely in non league football the aim of the game is to score more goals than your opponents so you pick up all three points just like it is Premiership football and just like it is in Sunday League football.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #30: May 21, 2009 03:19:17 am
      as long as the 2 teams will never play each other.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #31: May 21, 2009 03:25:05 am
      If all of Sydney FC's fans were only able to support one club, there wouldn't be a Sydney FC. No one supports these local teams whole heartedly. Most Sydney's fans would be an EPL supporter over Sydney FC. It is so much easier for someone living in Liverpool to say, "I hate all other clubs other than LFC" or something along those lines. That's their local team, that's the city they grew up in.

I love Liverpool, it gives me excitement and joy like nothing else can. But I grew up in Sydney and love the city, so why don't I have a right to support Liverpool fully, but just feel proud that Sydney, my city, win an A-League title or something like that. Now, obviously if Liverpool play Sydney, i'd be hoping Liverpool win 10-0, but that would never happen (Liverpool FC vs Sydney FC).

It's my local league and I can't go to any other football games other than a few internationals. If I lived in Liverpool, i'd also have only one club aswell, but i'm not going to ditch the local game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #32: May 21, 2009 03:27:12 am
      as long as the 2 teams will never play each other.

I'd love Liverpool to play Sliema to be honest. Would be cheering for Liverpool though.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #33: May 21, 2009 03:43:20 am
      I've got a couple of friends who are Liverpool 'fans' but they would never dream of signing up to a forum.  One of them is big in to rugby and goes to most Gloucester games. 

He would take delight in a Champions League win and a Premier League victory, but he's never been to Anfield and I'll bet he doesn't know who we're playing this weekend.

Supporting two clubs is like having an affair.  And if you have an affair I'll be willing to bet you won't be madly in love with both the women/men.  Impossible to passionately support two clubs, even in different sports.

So you're saying that because I follow another team (sport) I am less of a supporter than you? I can watch both games, and neither of them have an impact on the other. I'm sure all of your fathers celebrated the 66 world cup win, does that make them less scouse?

You said it's like having an affair, I consider it like loving my brother and my sister. If you can only love 2 things in your life, Liverpool and your spouse then I pity you.

I also enjoy hunting and fishing occasionally, does that also make me less of a fan?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #34: May 21, 2009 03:50:13 am
      I'm sure all of your fathers celebrated the 66 world cup win, does that make them less scouse?

Nope he wasn't born till 67
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #35: May 21, 2009 07:14:04 am
      I'd love Liverpool to play Sliema to be honest. Would be cheering for Liverpool though.
      That would be excellent for me, to see lfc playing in Malta.
      I have four teams which I support:
      1st. Liverpool fc
      2nd. Valletta fc
      3rd. Liverpool Reserves
      4th. Liverpool Youths

My opinion is that you support a small club it isn't a problem but if you have two big club its annoying for me.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #36: May 21, 2009 08:23:58 am
      I am from India and if Liverpool come here to play my local team and thrash them black and blue I would still be happy.Its only LFC for me,nothing else matters.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #37: May 21, 2009 08:44:33 am
      I have spent most of my life supporting two teams.

Liverpool and anyone who is playing Manchester United.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: May 21, 2009 09:03:55 am
      I have spent most of my life supporting two teams.

With you all the way on that one Oldred,well said.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: May 21, 2009 09:10:38 am
      Then follow your local side and not Liverpool.

I, as a Scouser, can't see how you can have a passion for two clubs. If Liverpool drew Swindon (again just as an example) in the FA Cup and you (not personally but you as anybody who "follows" two clubs) follow Liverpool and Swindon which side would you want to win? If it's Swindon then you don't follow Liverpool and if it's Liverpool why hand support to Swindon when it's clear your love lies with Liverpool.

Totally agree. You can only have passion for one club, and that would show when they go head to head. You wouldn't be a neutral.

I do, however think that you can be a passionate supporter of 2 different clubs, as long as they are different sports.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #40: May 21, 2009 09:12:43 am

If Everton play Manure ..who would you support? ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: May 21, 2009 09:39:40 am
      If Everton play Manure ..who would you support? ;)
      None of them, I would just hope that the match gets abandoned
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #42: May 21, 2009 10:06:04 am
      So you're saying that because I follow another team (sport) I am less of a supporter than you? I can watch both games, and neither of them have an impact on the other. I'm sure all of your fathers celebrated the 66 world cup win, does that make them less scouse?

You said it's like having an affair, I consider it like loving my brother and my sister. If you can only love 2 things in your life, Liverpool and your spouse then I pity you.

I also enjoy hunting and fishing occasionally, does that also make me less of a fan?

To be honest, I don't think my old man probably gave much of a toss about England winning the World Cup.  I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup - yes it was a great piss up - but it didn't impact upon my life.

I am saying, from personal opinion, that I have never met anybody who can be equally passionate about two teams - be that the same sport or different sport.  Everybody will always have a preference of one or the other.

That's just my opinion, and I'm fairly happy with my current, uncomplicated, dedication to one football club.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: May 21, 2009 10:15:01 am
      I like Barce and Celtic. But doesnt bother me a bit if they dont win. I dont know how you can really take more then 1 team to your heart?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #44: May 21, 2009 10:15:09 am
      It's a tricky one, as I'm not the kind of person to tell people what to do! :D

I wouldn't say someone who claimed to support two teams was wrong, but I'd have difficulty understanding how, certainly within the same sport. Affinity for another side, having a soft spot - that I can follow, based on where you're from or other family members liking another team.

Supporting another football club than Liverpool, however, loving them, following their results and history? That I find unimaginable.

Like I say, I'm not judging anyone popping out on a Sunday afternoon to watch their local team, just saying that for me, I can't imagine loving two sides at once.

It's a bit like a marriage - you have your good years and your bad years, but you keep on loving the one you love through the rough and the smooth. It's that simple.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #45: May 21, 2009 10:32:50 am

Different attitude to the England team back in the 60s and 70s, compared to the 80s, 90s and today.

After the way the Tory party, pretty much treated Merseyside and working class people, the way in which cockney-supporting England fans lapped it up is a reason a lot of young scouse supporting Liverpool fans couldn't give a F**k about the three lions.

I like a lot of sports, but there is only one true love!

Quick Reply