Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you pay £17m for Mascherano ?

Yes
      (91.2%)
      No
      (4.4%)
      Buy someone else
      (4.4%)

Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)

Read 250254 times
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Re: The Javier Mascherano thread
      Reply #92: Nov 07, 2007 08:44:50 am
      He didnt have much to do last night, that team hardly had a sniff of the ball. However, he did show some great passing though.

Sorry can't agree with that Venom.

He didn't allow them to have a sniff of the ball.

The guy oozes class.  He should be our number one January signing.  17M is bl**dy cheap.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #93: Nov 07, 2007 08:50:44 am
      Sorry can't agree with that Venom.

He didn't allow them to have a sniff of the ball.

The guy oozes class.  He should be our number one January signing.  17M is bl**dy cheap.

Agree, Oldred, every time they got the ball, Masch was there taking it straight back off them....he was like a terrier, at them all night. He'd take it off them and then get us going forward again. Guy is class, what were West ham thinking ???
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #94: Nov 07, 2007 08:52:36 am
      Rafa............sign Masch!!!
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #95: Nov 07, 2007 09:06:19 am
      17m?

I think thtas abit steap tbh, he is class but thats around 7m more that Xabi who I think is Class aswell.

I hope we do sign him but maybe not at that price!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #96: Nov 07, 2007 09:49:03 am
      17m?

I think thtas abit steap tbh, he is class but thats around 7m more that Xabi who I think is Class aswell.

The general consensus is that's the price agreed to make his transfer permanent mate. The way I look at whether a fee is worth it is can we buy someone else who can do just as good a job for less? In this case I don't think we can, so if £17m is what it takes I'd pay it.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #97: Nov 07, 2007 10:11:14 am
      yeah I sippose so, If WHU bought him for 12-15m its not really a big increase bearing in mind how much his improved since he's been with us, but on the other hand at 17m he surly should then be a first choice as its a hell of a alot for a squad player but i'm pretty sure he's not gonna be??

who'd be a manager eh? ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #98: Nov 07, 2007 06:15:48 pm
      17m?

I think 17m is a fair price considering that we have 18 months to make our mind.   If we were to purchase instantly then yes 10-12 would have been more reasonable.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #99: Nov 07, 2007 06:37:35 pm
      A young lad - top European clubs sniffiing around - does the job for us and would be a 'proven' signing. 

Worth every penny.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #100: Nov 07, 2007 06:52:31 pm
      If Hargreaves and Carrick are worth £18m each then Mascherano would be a bargain at £17m. This player has technique, great footwork aswell... I'm well impressed!

Sign Him Up!!!
      marko
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #101: Nov 07, 2007 07:32:23 pm
      get him signed the young argy is class and will only get better.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #102: Nov 08, 2007 09:21:57 pm
      I'm not sure how it works but could we sign him now as we have him on loan or do we have to wait for the transfer window?

Either way there is only one thing we should do - sign him as soon as possible!! :soccer_h4h:

If he signs I'm definitely getting an Argentina shirt.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #103: Nov 08, 2007 09:45:33 pm
      Rafa will buy him. He's made Javier no1 defensive midfielder now, there is no way he will let go of Javier.

What Benitez wants is a future midfield partnership of Javier Mascherano & Lucas Leiva

Sissoko will be sold, I'm 100% on that!

Thing is Mascherano is a much better player than Alonso is. Mascherano can run with and without the ball and for a defensive midfielder that is rare. Mascherano's passing is as crisp as Alonso's, plus he goes for more forward passes rather than across the field passes like Alonso does.. and finally Mascherano is a much better tackler than Alonso is!
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 09:47:35 pm by Ra Ra Rafa »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #104: Nov 09, 2007 12:28:33 am
      Then why was Alonso was the difference against Arsenal? sigh...
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #105: Nov 09, 2007 07:22:38 am
      Rafa will buy him. He's made Javier no1 defensive midfielder now, there is no way he will let go of Javier.

What Benitez wants is a future midfield partnership of Javier Mascherano & Lucas Leiva

Sissoko will be sold, I'm 100% on that!

Thing is Mascherano is a much better player than Alonso is. Mascherano can run with and without the ball and for a defensive midfielder that is rare. Mascherano's passing is as crisp as Alonso's, plus he goes for more forward passes rather than across the field passes like Alonso does.. and finally Mascherano is a much better tackler than Alonso is!

I think in Benitez's eyes he doesnt see players as better than each other, but rather what they bring to the team regarding their strengths and weaknesses. I also disagree with you about Masch's passing game being better than Alonso's. Masch can execute a pass perfectly and notice all runs being made but he cant control the flow of the game nearly as well as Alonso. Patience is a virtue when attacking, not all balls have to go straight to your attackers (Arsenal, mancs and chelski often pure together about more than 10 passes before a goal opportunity is made). Alonso can cleverly orchestrate an attack from the back up to 2 or three passes in advance.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #106: Nov 09, 2007 07:53:56 am
      We cannot dispute the invaluable contribution he's made since pulling on the red jersey. He is tenacious and makes his presence felt in the mid and his distribution is light years ahead of Mo's. We have him and we must keep him around!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #107: Nov 09, 2007 10:55:59 am
      I think in Benitez's eyes he doesnt see players as better than each other, but rather what they bring to the team regarding their strengths and weaknesses. I also disagree with you about Masch's passing game being better than Alonso's. Masch can execute a pass perfectly and notice all runs being made but he cant control the flow of the game nearly as well as Alonso. Patience is a virtue when attacking, not all balls have to go straight to your attackers (Arsenal, mancs and chelski often pure together about more than 10 passes before a goal opportunity is made). Alonso can cleverly orchestrate an attack from the back up to 2 or three passes in advance.

Good post mate.

I don't think we can say that Rafa sees Masch & Lucas as his future partnership, I'm sure in a few years time Rafa will still be rotating as he always has. Mascherano is definitely the best option out there though as far as holding midfielders go and therefore must be signed.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #108: Nov 09, 2007 12:15:16 pm
      it's so important that we signed him permanently before barce come looking in June , masch at £17 million is defiantly worth it
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #109: Nov 09, 2007 01:03:34 pm
      From todays Echo:

Liverpool eager to secure Javier Mascherano

RAFA BENITEZ today told of his desire to keep Javier Mascherano at Anfield.

The Argentinian midfield general is currently halfway through an 18 month loan deal but the Liverpool manager is keen to see the deal made permanent.

Mascherano has established himself as a key member of Benitez's squad thanks to a string of magnificent performances and the Reds boss does not want to see him go elsewhere.

Although Barcelona are keen to sign the 23-year-old Liverpool are well placed to conclude a permanent transfer with Mascherano having informed Media Sports Investment - the company which holds his economic rights - that he wants to remain at Anfield and does not even wish to consider going elsewhere.

The ball is now well and truly in Liverpool's court and the club now has to agree a fee with MSI and a contract with the player himself for a permanent deal to be secured.

Benitez said: "Mascherano wants to stay, he is very happy here.

"He is a key player for us and I have been talking with him and he is really pleased to be at Liverpool.

"His family are settled here and his wife is learning English and he is very comfortable here.

"Javier also knows that the supporters like him and I think if everything is okay he will stay with us.

"We are happy with him so it would be good for everyone if he stayed at Liverpool."

Representatives of Barcelona have informed MSI that the Spanish giants want to take Mascherano to the Nou Camp when his loan deal with Liverpool expires at the end of this season but, under the terms of the loan, Liverpool can make the deal permanent by buying him outright for a fee in the region of £17 million before June 30 next year.

Meanwhile, Benitez is weighing up whether or not to call up the fit again Fernando Torres for the visit of Fulham to Anfield tomorrow.

The Reds boss was impressed with the way Andriy Voronin and Peter Crouch linked up in the 8-0 demolition of Besiktas in midweek and also has Dirk Kuyt itching for a recall after the Dutch striker was left on the bench for the Champions League clash with the Turks.

Though delighted to have such competition for places in attack Benitez faces some tough decisions when it comes to picking a team for the match with Lawrie Sanchez'sside.

He said: "I hope Torres will be okay. He has trained this week and everything seems fine."

LINK

Hopefully we can get this tied up soon then, I'm sure Rafa's not stupid enough to talk about keeping him unless he was planning to.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #110: Nov 09, 2007 01:46:42 pm
      From todays Echo:

Liverpool eager to secure Javier Mascherano

Although Barcelona are keen to sign the 23-year-old Liverpool are well placed to conclude a permanent transfer with Mascherano having informed Media Sports Investment - the company which holds his economic rights - that he wants to remain at Anfield and does not even wish to consider going elsewhere.

This is the most encouraging thing for me, not only is he a class act he also wants to play for us.

Enough said.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #111: Nov 09, 2007 02:48:34 pm
      Glad to read that article. If the ball is in our court to keep him then we should be doing it as soon as possible. No messing about on this one Slick Rick!!!
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #112: Nov 11, 2007 07:09:57 am
      Mascherano wants to stay  - Reuters

Javier Mascherano will quit English football if he fails to agree a permanent move to Liverpool, the Argentina midfielder said.

"I only want to play for Liverpool," Mascherano told British newspapers. "I hope the situation will be sorted in the next month."

"If I cannot play for Liverpool I will not play for another club in England. Not even Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United."

Mascherano signed an 18-month loan deal with the Anfield club when he left Premier League rivals West Ham United in January.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #113: Nov 11, 2007 09:28:28 am
      He hasn't been playing too well atm but he has good awarness and he is smart with the ball at his feet. As the post before says he's dedicatted and he can only get better. I think we've all lost faith in Sissoko, Masch is far better we need and want him!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #114: Nov 11, 2007 10:20:13 am
      He hasn't been playing too well atm

I wouldn't say that mate, he had a bad game against Besiktas away but apart from that he's been in good form. He has been played in a couple of games though where there was no real need for a holding midfielder, so he wouldn't have looked the greatest in those games, but he still didn't do anything wrong.

Quick Reply