Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Post-match celebration: Liverpool 3 - 1 Tottenham

Read 11962 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Re: Post-match celebration: Liverpool 3 - 1 Tottenham
      Reply #23: May 24, 2009 11:25:32 pm
      Back from a long but very enjoyable day met a few faces off the forum MSG, HUYTON RED, GOW ,WATT,RED KENNY,missed one out sorry but the mind is blank,missed  you JD had to take my nephew to the ground ,catch up some time next season,as for the game great to see Sami on his last game ,thought we strolled through the game quite comfortably never having to hit top gear ,and thanks to the players for at last putting up a realistic challenge hopefully this will be the springboard for no 19 next year  .
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #24: May 24, 2009 11:32:00 pm
      Loved the 'SAMI' from the fans ,bet that really got to him. Yossi seems to get better each game ,well done to Nando for his 50th,good cross from Dirk ,  ,bet there aren't many who can score so many so quickly ( one for the stats to work out ) There was nothing at stake today ,nothing to prove ,so a workmanlike performance from our players and hopefully no injuries ,i'll take a season of wins like that if need be ,roll on next season ynwa
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #25: May 25, 2009 12:04:45 am
      SAMI
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: May 25, 2009 12:19:31 am
      Well done to the lads on a fantastic effort this season.

Full credit to the fans for the way they paid respect to Sami and I thought they were pretty vocal considering the occassion.

Thanks for all the memories Sami you will be dearly missed.

Congrats to Nando on getting his half century so quickly!
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #27: May 25, 2009 12:31:07 am
      Just got home from the match. fantastic day, big hugs and respect to Sami and to the Liverpool fans who made it a day not to forget. Number 19 next yesr me thinks.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #28: May 25, 2009 06:13:43 am
      Finally seeing Yossi score like a real pro, tricked the keeper and rolled it in with his left foot, pure world class.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #29: May 25, 2009 07:52:29 am
      Well done to the boys this season,we didnt claim 1st spot but we played like absolute Trojans this season.With a couple of good buys we will be lifting number 19 next season.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #30: May 25, 2009 09:21:13 am
      Goodbye Sami, a true legend. You will forever go down in Anfield folklore. Good luck at Leverkusen and we wish to see you back here at Anfield in a coaching role in the future.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #31: May 25, 2009 09:32:09 am
      Emotional stuff with Hyypia, I think it's important we see the positive factors rather than negatives in this though, I am sure he will have a part to play at this club in the future in some shape or form.

Thanks Sami Hyypia for everything, you are a true legend.

Good win yesterday, nothing much to play for I don't think but credit to them they put the performance in and we cemented 2nd place which I'm pleased with. Overall, a really good season, if not in terms of silverware then in terms of improvement and I was glad we finished with a comfortable victory. Well played Liverpool.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: May 25, 2009 09:51:43 am
       What a great finish to the season and a fantastic send off for Sami Hypia,he deserved a goal  and it epitomised the effort he has given to our club for the last 10 years.Stevie Gerrard that was a lovely gesture when you handed Sami the Captains armband.We scored more goals than any other club in the E,P.L. and lost the least number of games,how the hell did we not win the league.One thing for sure is I cannot wait for next season to start,so thanks to RAFA and the lads in RED for a great effort.As mentioned by another poster thanks to Robbie Keane for not doing his customary cartwheel when he scored.Lastly it makes me proud to be a L.F.C. supporter.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #33: May 25, 2009 10:39:05 am
      That was a great way to end the season. Shame Pepe didn't keep a clean sheet, but we still managed to get a good win.

But this match was all about Sami, and he nearly got his fairytale ending by nearly scoring.

Goodbye Sami, you will be sorely missed. Thank you for everything you did for the club.

Legend. I hope to see him back as one of the backroom staff in a couple of years time.   

YNWA
      YorkshireRed
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #34: May 25, 2009 11:18:47 am
      'Hyvasti' Sami!
      Thank you to the whole club for a great season and for pushing the scum all the way. We'll be bigger and better next term.
      Finnished the season on a high, well done Torres, 50 already, yeah.
      Unfortunate for Pepe, unlucky mate.

Bring on season 09/10. Can't wait.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2009 11:51:29 am by YorkshireRed »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #35: May 25, 2009 11:23:43 am
      Good game, and as a previous contributor highlighted many milestones contained with in it. The main point that I'd like to make is that it was a very strong conclusion to a most encouraging season, a season from which many positive can be drawn.
      Back to the game, congratulation to Nando for his half century, commiserations to Pepe and well done to Dirk & Yossi and of course a big farwell to Sammi, and good luck in your new endeavours in Deutchland. I think that Keane's none celebration of his goal, only goes to illustrate just what an upstanding guy he is, maximum respect Robbie lad. Last but not least a big thank you to the Boss for havin faith in the club and sticking with us through what must have been a very, very trying negotiations.
      Well, onward and upward, next season hear we come.
      I wonder when the thread "are we gonna win the title this year" will appear, sooner rather than later I'd wager!
      YNWA
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #36: May 25, 2009 12:42:14 pm
      Wasn't yesterday the first time we saw the Skrtel - Agger partnership?

How did that work out?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #37: May 25, 2009 01:06:00 pm
      A good win yesterday.

I was privileged to be there to see Sami off with some other great forum members. A fantastic showing for Sami and well deserved. Brought a tear to my eye.

Congratulations to Torres on reaching the 50 mark quicker than some true legends (before most of them in fact!). It just shows that he's the best striker in the world.

First half was a bit flat - had that end of season feel. Aside from Torres', the goals weren't classics, but we take them all as they come, and it's nice to finish with a win and record points tally to give ferguson something to have bad dreams about over the summer.

A real shame that Pepe didn't get the golden gloves, but fair play to Keane for his lack of celebrations when he scored - not even a smile on his face, and the applause shows the respect our fans are prepared to offer opposition players.

Picked it up in the second half, despite the heat, and all in all it ended up a nice stroll in the park. Agree with JD on the Gerrard and Carragher score. Thinking it was probably just end of season woes, and am hoping Carra will get back to his rock solid best next season.

Bring it on!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #38: May 25, 2009 02:09:29 pm
      Despite taking on the roll of a pig on a spit, at the back of the Kop (at one point I'm certain someone was making toast up there), I still managed to belt a few songs out and have a ropey voice even today. Probably done most of the damage singing Sami, on! Sami, on! Sami Sami Sami on on on!!!

It was all about the Big Finn leading up to the game and I was surprised to hear he wasn't getting a start. But the bottom line was, we still had another 3 points to get. And I think we got them without having to go full force.

It might not have been an exhibition or domination, but I don't think we were troubled all that much by Spurs. We just went about our business in quite a relaxed manner I thought. And we got another 3 points in the bag without having to break too much of a sweat. We need to keep this going right through next season.

It was only a freak game where uncharacteristic individual mistakes happened, that denied us from having ten straight wins on the bounce til the end of the season. And leading up to the end of this season the lads have looked like a fully well oiled engine. I think the title challenge has certainly fueled this engine and when the challenge came to an end, we still went out there and got the 3 points without truly clicking in to a high gear.

And we certainly seen this happen yesterday. What we have to take into next season is this knack of getting the three points - especially at home, no matter what is going on around us. Sadly and criminally, there wasn't a final day title climax we had hoped for. Emotionally and proudly, we had to say goodbye to a true present day legend of LFC. It would have been too easy to let things get on top of the players yesterday and their focus to slip.

But we went out there and won. Again.

As The Kop sang loud near the end of the game yesterday:

...and now you're going to believe us, and now you're going to believe us, and now you're going to believe us......we're gonna win the league! NEXT YEAR!!!!

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #39: May 25, 2009 02:24:18 pm
      I was crying buy the time the final whistle and I loved it we Pepe lifted Sami on his shoulders and the players surrounded them I was so moved it shows the unity and strong bond in the squad and it shows that we can do great thing next year . And the red go marching on . But , Sami you have been so amazing all these years and I wish you the best of luck in Germany  , We love you . YNWA Sami .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #40: May 25, 2009 02:31:44 pm
      I almost cried when Sami covered his head with the Liverpool jersey and when I was making a Liverpool FC video which I'll post up real soon.

Was rock solid at the back and also dangerous at set pieces at the other end.
      Hats off for Sami Hyypia, our great Finnish legend. All the best Sami, can't wait to see you back in Liverpool! YNWA.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #41: May 25, 2009 03:37:37 pm
      I almost cried when Sami covered his head with the Liverpool jersey and when I was making a Liverpool FC video which I'll post up real soon.

Was rock solid at the back and also dangerous at set pieces at the other end.
      Hats off for Sami Hyypia, our great Finnish legend. All the best Sami, can't wait to see you back in Liverpool! YNWA.

Well done mate, your vids are class. Just afraid that they are gonna be taken down my youtube. Well, I watched the post game where Hyypia covered his eyes with his shirt, the players lifting him up and Rafa giving him that pat on the back. 10 years of his service just ended so fast. Come back one day, legend.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #42: May 26, 2009 04:20:03 am
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #43: May 26, 2009 11:20:03 am
      I can't watch it!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #44: May 26, 2009 11:29:00 am
      Anyway a great compilation and I still couldn't accept the fact Sami will not be here next season!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #45: May 26, 2009 12:16:08 pm
      Seen this in yesterday's mirror, and just feel a little pissed off.

Rafa Benitez ruins Sami Hyypia's big Liverpool finish
      David Maddock  25/05/2009

Maybe when he reflects on his actions this morning, Rafa Benitez will consider he got it wrong yesterday.

After 464 matches for Liverpool, he chose to allow Sami Hyypia just six minutes of action in his farewell match at Anfield.

Had the centre-half been a charity case, then that would have been fair enough.

But many would argue he has been his side's best defender on the rare occasions he has started this season.

He is certainly still good enough to have played in a game that didn't matter, and Benitez ended this contest being booed - vociferously - by his own fans.

Afterwards, the manager tried to defend his actions, saying: "I thought it would have been perfect for Sami to go on in the final minute, but the fans were pushing and pushing."

What would have been perfect would for Hyypia to have gone OFF in the final minute.

But that shouldn't detract from the fact that in his time at Anfield the giant Finn has become a true legend of the club.

Not even Benitez can take that away from him, and the tears that Hyypia tried unsuccessfully to fight away at the end was testimony to that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/05/25/hyyp-hyyp-hooray-115875-21387192/

What an absolute gobs***e Maddock is. The bit highlighted in bold shows what a pr**k he is, if he can't see we were having a laugh, then it shows what a sh*t journo he is. The booing was a joke, when Rafa brought on N'Gog everyone on the Kop at first thought big Sami was coming on, only to see David N'Gog standing on the touchline, we then jokingly booed rafa. This beaut thinks it was serious.

But then again he has got form for slagging Liverpool managers off, I'll always remember his little bitching session for about two or three days when Ged sold Robbie Fowler, who is a mate of David Maddock's. Some of the stuff the w**ker printed then was out of order, especially as the majority of Liverpool fans I knew were gutted to see Fowler go, but thought Houllier had done a bit of superb business by getting 12 million for him.

Quick Reply