Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

TV's with built in freeview

Read 1599 times
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 325 posts |
      TV's with built in freeview
      May 28, 2009 04:25:52 pm
      Can anyone help me please?

I had a telly with a freeview box and everything worked fine, until the telly conked out, so I've replaced it with a new telly with the built-in freeview.
      Bought it on Monday, got it home and tuned it in and all was perfect, but Tuesday when I got home from work and turned it on, I only had about two channels.  I was going out, so I left it, but last night it was the same.  I've re-tuned it and I've fiddled with every connection, and nothing seems to change it.

I don't want to pack the telly back up and take it back to the shop and all that messing about if there's another problem, but I don't really have any idea how to diagnose what the problem is.  The instruction book doesn't have a troubleshooting guide like most technical things  ???

Can anyone give me any idea of how to sort it out, please, please, please

Thank you
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: TV's with built in freeview
      Reply #1: May 28, 2009 04:51:19 pm
      Couple of questions.

1 What make is the tele? If its a top brand you should be ok, If its an ASDA own brand or the like, then the FreeView Tuner may be of poor quality giving poor signal strength.

I have a Tevion from Aldi, WROST buy ever. All other freeview boxes work fine but this one needs a booster to get a decent signal and stop the picture freezing.

2 How old is the Ariel and wire, are they in good condition. If they are old or in poor condition then get them renewed. There is a big improvement.

3 Have you connected your old freeview box in, and tried it with your new tele.
      If you old box is working fine then its the tele, BUT if your new tele gives you a good Picture with the old freview box in place, then the new tele may have a poor tuner. So take it back and get a decent one (sorry).
      If the new tele is still not working.... it's the tele, take it back.
      If the Old freeview box is not working too then it's the Ariel.

Good luck.

lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 325 posts |
      Reply #2: May 28, 2009 04:57:41 pm
      Hi Red Puppy

Thanks for the advice.  It's a Goodmans telly, it was kind of middle of the road pricewise for the size and all that, and I've heard of them so I figured it wasn't too bad a brand.

The aerial is ancient and the wiring certainly isn't new but I think we've got a spare lead knocking around so we'll have a look at that, but we'll try linking up the old freeview box first, didn't think of trying that, so will have a go when I get home, and fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help  :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: May 28, 2009 05:04:51 pm
      Goodmans should be OK. May be the Aerial. The wire I ment is from the aerial to the room where the TV is. Those little extensions should be OK unless the dog has chewed it.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 325 posts |
      Reply #4: May 28, 2009 05:12:26 pm
      Thanks RP, the wire goes from the aerial into a booster box in the loft, and down from there so we should be able to check that OK, I've a feeling I'm gonna be busy tonite!
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 325 posts |
      Reply #5: May 29, 2009 07:50:19 am
      Looks like it might be the aerial and/or connections, so we'll get someone out to have a look at it

Thanks for your help RP

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: May 29, 2009 09:27:54 pm
      Lizzie, my telly has got built in Freeview also, I had to get a new ariel for mine to work, now its fine.
      Torres_LFC9
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2009 09:25:08 pm
      Some TVs have the option to be linked upto a PC for a firmware upgrade, the manifacturers web site should be able to shead some light!
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 325 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2009 08:33:01 am
      All sorted now - needed a new bit of cable!

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply