Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

1 Ref + 4 Assistants next season

Read 2317 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      1 Ref + 4 Assistants next season
      Jun 01, 2009 01:58:24 pm
      Not sure if this has been posted.

Fifa have approved a trial to use two extra assistant referees behind the goallines for next season's Europa League - formerly the UEFA Cup.

The idea has been championed by Uefa president Michel Platini and was tested last year in some European under-19 championship games.

"The International FA Board decided 'let's have experiments with two additional assistant referees' and we were looking where we have can such experiments," said Blatter. "Now we have found a solution together with Michel Platini and Uefa."

Not sure what they are going to be doing but if they fancy flicking the fingers at Cahill as he steps up for a pen then its fine by me.

Thoughts?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: 1 Ref + 4 Assistants next season
      Reply #1: Jun 01, 2009 02:01:25 pm
      Is this an attempt at finding some middle ground between using goal line technology, and just sticking by the referee?

Hard to know if this will be of any use, I can't see it being a massive improvement on the current system of the referee being able to consult the linesmen to be honest.

Unless someone else can enlighten me on what they're trying to achieve?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jun 01, 2009 02:01:52 pm
      Would you able to judge if the ball has crossed the line from behind the goal? I'm just trying to think now and I can't decide. I would have thought if anything they would place the referees more at the sides of the goals but then I suppose they'd get in the way.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: Jun 01, 2009 02:08:51 pm
      Leave things as they are. Yes they make mistakes but having 5 officials will just cause far too many problems. Two will think it's a foul, the others won't and Rob Styles just won't of seen it full stop.

Don't like the idea and what a surprise it's come Platini
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: Jun 01, 2009 02:12:10 pm
      I suppose as DLS says, the intention could also be that they help in penalty/simulation decisions, but again, it's still down to an interpretation of the event in real time.

Either they should stick with the current system, or go all out and allow video refereeing in certain situations. Now I'm not saying they should do that, just that they should choose to either trust in the ref, or take it out of his hands.

Too many cooks, and all that.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Jun 01, 2009 02:13:55 pm
      I saw FIFA testing this in pre season last year, nothing 'amazing' came out of it.

I just don't see what's wrong with the idea of a fella, sorry 'official' watching the game in the dugout communicating with the Ref through that headset (whatever it's used for now!)

FIFA need to pull their heads out of their snobby arses.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #6: Jun 01, 2009 02:27:29 pm
      Is this to prevent fouls in the box during set pieces or help decide if the ball has crossed the line? Will it be the same as an umpire in GAA standing at each post to tell the ref if the score stands or if its wide or a foul etc.?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #7: Jun 01, 2009 02:33:32 pm
      I saw FIFA testing this in pre season last year, nothing 'amazing' came out of it.

I just don't see what's wrong with the idea of a fella, sorry 'official' watching the game in the dugout communicating with the Ref through that headset (whatever it's used for now!)

Their answer to that one mate is the managers will be in his ear hole all day.

It should be left as it is other than goal line decisions. Should be a fella in the commentary box to review if the ball crossed the line or not. That's what they do in cricket for the run outs, they don't ask the third umpire for every decision just run outs and on the very odd occasion if a ball was caught and thats what they do in rugby, ask the fella in the stands for a try that they can't be certain of, not every decision. And they work fine.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #8: Jun 01, 2009 02:35:15 pm
      My god what does it have to take for Video Ref'ing to be brought in?

If it works in Rugby and hasnt harmed the game i fail to see any negatives.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Jun 01, 2009 02:36:32 pm
      Can you imagine Andy Gray deciding for us?

Alright if not the dug out, behind the scenes or in the stands!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Jun 01, 2009 02:37:23 pm
      It's so the slow ass assistants don't have to run basically then... They'll still not get things right without videos
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: Jun 01, 2009 02:39:50 pm
      I think it's so that the Manure goalie and defenders don't have as far to run to confront an official.

Put one next to the goal and they can bi*ch and moan at all day long.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #12: Jun 01, 2009 05:01:14 pm

That's exactly what I thought.
      They can have 1 or two people watching the match on a monitor, discuss for literally 2 seconds, and then tell the ref on the headset. It isn't F***ing rocket science!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #13: Jun 01, 2009 07:09:22 pm
      The point is that they think grassroots football couldn't afford this, and they wouldn't want to cause a divide between top level football and everyone else now, would they? ::)

Quick Reply