Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Studs Or Moulded???

Read 15607 times
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Studs Or Moulded???
      Jun 02, 2009 04:21:43 am
      OK I'm buying a pair of Nike T90 Laser II for out door. I know I want these boots because I've been wearing Nike's for indoor for a long time because they are wider than other boots and I've never had a problem with them.

For out door I've been wearing Nomis Kewell boots which were moulded and narrow at the end. They started to hurt my feet after there first season.

My problem is do I buy studs or moulded? As I've been hearing that studs hurt your feet pretty much straight away if the ground isn't super soft.

One other problem I had with the moulded nomises was the ground I play on was really firm in summer but in winter (which has just arrived big style in Perth this week) the moulded studs would keep all the compacted mud stuck on the bottom of my boots and make them heavy and hard to run in.

I've heard that studs wont do this.

Also Ive noticed the price gap between some of the T90 laser 2's from around 70 pound to 130 pound on the official Nike site. Whats the difference in the expensive ones and the cheaper ones?

Does any one know the difference between the kangaroo leather which is shown on only some of the T90's to the material (I'm not sure what these are made of) that is on these two links below?

These are the ones I'm looking at.

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=GB&lang_locale=en_GB&sitesrc=GBLP%23l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-237103/pgid-228604#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-209416/pgid-183395

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=GB&lang_locale=en_GB&sitesrc=GBLP%23l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-237103/pgid-228604#l=shop,pdp,ctr-nikeid/pn-T90customN0804/pbid-INSPI_45499_v9_0_20080922/piid-7733/pid-217855/cid-300

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thank you!!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Studs Or Moulded???
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2009 08:43:29 am
      I like to think of myself as a bit of a stud. *Cough*

Sorry Dobbs no much help, back in my day when I was a lad long long ago, you used to get the piss ripped out of you if you couldn't afford boots with screw in studs and you turned up in a pair of moulded mitres from Woolworth's, How things have changed *sigh*

You are right about studs hurting your feet when the ground is hard, at least they did in my day but technology has moved on, even the wheel is round these days.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2009 10:34:49 am
      Seeing as you live in Australia, that's a hard one to judge mate given the seasonal differences and weather variety.

You're coming up to winter now right? That would suggest buying studded boots, although it all depends on how much it rains where you live to be honest. If it rains regularly - studs, if it hardly rains - moulds.

The studs won't hurt your feet if it's firm ground but what I would say is it probably increase chances of injury as they aren't likely to go fully into the ground. I've done my ankle for this reason quite a few times. That is only if the ground is extremely firm though.

On the second link you've given there, if you look under technology it gives some quite useful information as to the different soles and what they are made for - You then know what type of boot would be most suitable for you, studs, moulds, blades etc.

As for the price differences, there's always usually 2 to 3 different models of the most popular boots and the price determines the quality of the boot. That means the quality of leather, the heel (which will usually have more support if you pay the higher price) and other bits of 'engineering' with Nike have claimed to have added to the boot.

In my opinion though, there's absolutely no need to spend around £135.00 on a pair of football boots. At the end of the day it doesn't make all of that much difference. Don't forget the players who own boots of these kind of prices are generally sponsored and provided with these boots.

However, I did notice you are looking there in the 'ID' section which means you are customizing the look of the boot - meaning more money. If you look here:

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=GB&lang_locale=en_GB&sitesrc=GBLP%23l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-237103/pgid-228604#l=shop,pwp,c-300/hf-787+4294966803

There are some better options, ranging from £35.00 to £60.00. I don't think the £60.00 ones are any different to the £90.00 ones you are looking at there, other than they haven't been customized with Nike ID. There's two pages there, not consisting completely of Total 90 boots, but there is some more choice at least.

To be honest though, I don't think the Nike store is the best place to buy them from, you don't actually get as much choice as other retailers and you are likely to be charged more.

I'm not sure about delivery to Australia from these good retailers but they may be worth a try mate:

http://www.prodirectsoccer.co.uk/speedshop.asp?DEPT=2&BRAND=9&SS=1&PROFILE=Power&ALT=Nike%20-%20Total%2090%20Laser%20II%20-%20Shoot%20-%20Strike%20-%20AZT90

Extremely good choice of Total 90's there. If it's not definately Total 90's that you want then it has more or less every other type of boot possible on there.

http://www.jjbsports.com/football/boots/mens?type=1&category=001810004610068&numshow=24&sortnum=1&sortorder=A&pagenum=1

The choice there isn't as great but they have all the main models, for a decent price. I noticed a lot of boots there have been reduced too.

However, interestingly:

http://www.jjbsports.com/nike-total-90-strike-ii-fg/prod_161328.aspx

Aren't they exactly the same as those £135.00 ones from the Nike store? If not exactly the same, I'm telling you now, there is not much difference at all. Not enough difference that would make you want to pay £70.00 more anyway!

Those boots there are blades and I actually think blades may be a good option for you - they will work on damp ground extremely well, really wet ground reasonably well and firm ground well. It's better to have blades on firm ground then studs in my opinion. I only own studded boots because I'm sure you're aware what the weather is like here in Britain!

Hope I helped mate.

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009 11:51:16 am by Ross »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2009 10:40:51 am
      If it helps: I always wore studs in Winter and moulded on firm/hard ground in any Summer league I played in. Get the best fitting you can afford and try on a sh*t load before buying - don't just buy them 'cause they look good DOOBS.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009 11:14:10 am by bad boy bubby »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2009 10:43:31 am
      If it helps: I always worn studs in Winter and moulded on firm/hard ground in any Summer league i played in. Get the best fitting you can afford and try on a sh*t load before buying - don't just buy them 'cause they look good DOOBS.

Yeah, you might actually be better going for say the £40.00 version of the Total 90's so you can get two pairs, one studded, one moulded. Or that could give you the opportunity to get two completely different brands of boot.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2009 11:34:04 am
      Again if it's any help; the best boots I ever wore were always made from kangaroo leather. If I was still kicking a ball I'd probably go for these: http://www.prodirectsoccer.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-002-064-011&DEPT=&DEPTTYPE=&BRAND=&ST=1&SIZE=&MIN=&MAX=&SRH=kangaroo%20leather

and or..... these: http://www.prodirectsoccer.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-002-064-010&ST=1&SRH=kangaroo%20leather

I always liked the comfort offered by Pantofola d’Oro - "Golden Slipper". I also always wore black boots - a bit more manly I reckon. ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2009 10:21:25 pm
      Do what i do;

Get studs and moulded, where the studs when it's soft enough and moulded when it's not. Win win situation then.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2009 02:46:19 am
      To everyone who has responded THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

You all have been a massive help, very much appreciated.

The only reason why I'm looking to buy online is because I've been to every store in and around Perth where I live and NONE of them have any T90's to try on. It was rediculous.

As I said Ive been wearing the T90's for indoor and they've been great.

I'm not buying them for the looks and I wont be buying the ID Nikes, just the normal ones. The reason I want the T90's is the width in the foot. I have fat feet ;)

I will be getting them delivered to my aunt who lives in Liverpool and she will send them on to Australia for me so the delivery wont be a problem.

Now to just pick my boots, I will let you know which ones I bought guys.

Cheers and thanks again!

+ for everyone
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2009 09:15:57 am
      No problem mate, definately show us which ones you decided to purchase!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2009 09:54:36 am
      I like to think of myself as a bit of a stud. *Cough*

Sorry Dobbs no much help, back in my day when I was a lad long long ago, you used to get the piss ripped out of you if you couldn't afford boots with screw in studs and you turned up in a pair of moulded mitres from Woolworth's, How things have changed *sigh*

You are right about studs hurting your feet when the ground is hard, at least they did in my day but technology has moved on, even the wheel is round these days.
      Venison I have to give a bigger sigh if I go back to playing in my schooldays,then the boots had steel toecaps and the studs were nailed on to the sole.They had not invented screw in studs then, mind you the modern boots would of been no good with the old leather footballs or caseys as we used to call them.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #10: Jun 03, 2009 10:18:26 am
      Studs all the way dude!
      Torres_LFC9
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2009 08:46:09 pm
      Studs, Puma Kings!!!