Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rugby

Read 118415 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: Rugby
      Reply #483: Feb 14, 2016 09:33:49 am
      We are flattering to deceive at the moment playing two blind  sides is a real bad idea , and whoever hsd the brainfart and decided that kicking the ball away at every opportunity is a good idea is a fckin idiot .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #484: Jun 19, 2016 05:44:50 am
      Big congratulations to the England team who already have the test series rapped up down under.

BOOM

Take a bow Eddie Jones.  ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #485: Oct 02, 2016 12:16:08 am
      Have seen most of the games in the rugby championship and honestly the All Blacks just play Rugby union at another level compared to everyone else!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #486: Oct 22, 2016 07:39:23 am
      Am I the only one who cringes when they see the All Blacks do the Haka?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #487: Oct 23, 2016 07:09:56 am
      Am I the only one who cringes when they see the All Blacks do the Haka?

The Haka appears to work well for the All Blacks as it puts the shits up the opposition before the match starts.They thrashed Australia again yesterday to go 18 games undefeated.Now I would not mind our Liverpool REDS doing a Haka if it got us 18 games undefeated.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #488: Oct 23, 2016 07:21:08 am
      The Haka appears to work well for the All Blacks as it puts the shits up the opposition before the match starts.They thrashed Australia again yesterday to go 18 games undefeated.Now I would not mind our Liverpool REDS doing a Haka if it got us 18 games undefeated.

Ha ha Coutinho and Lallana doing the Haka.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #489: Oct 23, 2016 07:52:56 am
      Ha ha Coutinho and Lallana doing the Haka.

That would be a sight to see,especially if they paint mokos on their faces.I could imagine Coutinho fronting up to a big defender before kickoff.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #490: Feb 02, 2017 04:42:17 pm
      Start of the six nations this week.

Reckon it might come down to the last weekend with Ireland v England to decide the winner.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #491: Mar 11, 2017 10:15:01 am
      That was some game last night    a good honest game as well ,
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #492: Mar 11, 2017 10:32:03 am
      I used to enjoy singing 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' – but when I found out what it meant, I felt sick

The choruses of ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ that break out when England plays rugby can be quite something.

It’s hard not to get swept up when it rings out during the build-up to a match, even more so when the team is on the field of play.

I’m more of a sports fan than I am a rugby fun. I've attended a huge variety of events. They range from the grandeur of the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics to the more earthy charms of an evening race meeting at a French trotting track in Normandy and a Minor League baseball match in Nashville, Tennessee.

Even when set against the atmosphere at the former pair, those choruses of ‘Swing Low’ stand out. Rousing when the team is playing well, they provide the soothing balm of “we’re all in this together” when they’re not.

The New York Times, however, has put a rather different spin on the song's use, suggesting it might actually be grossly offensive to turn a spiritual from the slave-owning era in America into something as trivial as a sporting anthem.

The newspaper recently sought the views of academics on its use by rugby fans generally, and those of England in particular. They were horrified. Take the reaction of Arthur Jones, a music history professor and founder of the Spiritual Project at the University of Denver. He told the newspaper that the situation reminded him of American sports teams who use Native American names and imagery, "in that a group of people seemed to be free-associating with imagery largely disconnected from its history".

“My first reaction is absolute shock – and I actually understand it when I think about it – but that’s my first reaction,” Jones said. “I feel kind of sad. I feel like the story of American chattel slavery and this incredible cultural tradition, built up within a community of people who were victims and often seen as incapable of standing up for themselves, [makes for] such a powerful story that I want the whole world to know about it."

At this point there will be those who charge in with accusations of “political correctness gone mad”, all the more so given the fact that the controversy has been stoked by academics speaking to a bastion of prissy American liberalism, otherwise known in this Trumpian era as “the enemy of the people”.

I'd imagine the crux of their argument would rest on the lack of anything resembling ill intent on the part of the fans. And that is true. This is not the same as the singing of ‘No Surrender to the IRA’ to the tune of the hymn ‘Give Me Joy In My Heart’ by a minority of England football fans nearly two decades since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.

A significant number among those that sing that song are well aware of its political overtones, and of its use as a marching song by the far-right English Defence League. Their intent is explicitly political, malign and racist.

The use of ‘Swing Low’ by rugby fans is different. When England’s Mako Vunipola, who is of Tongan descent, was made aware of its origins, he shrugged it off, telling the Daily Telegraph: “If the fans want to sing it then let them sing it, but obviously if people find it offensive then sorry.”

I imagine the majority of England fans would buy into that.

Until you consider the lyrics. When I read them, and thought about them, I felt slightly sick because they are a call for the release of death by a slave who has been brutally mistreated.

Then I recalled the aforementioned trip to Nashville and the American South. The ugly legacy of slavery was everywhere. Some of what we saw in museums about how it operated was truly horrifying. Set against that, the use of the song in a sporting context? Well it makes me shudder, anyway.

It is certainly possible to over-moralise. But I still don’t think it is "political correctness gone mad" to suggest that it might be a nice idea to show willingness to consider other people's feelings and to refrain from singing a song if its use is considered insulting or out of order. It is simply a matter of being respectful.

Of course, it ultimately has to be a personal decision. Not singing is just mine. There are many who feel like Vunipola, and that’s understandable, as Jones recognised. There are also many who, while they might have misgivings if they thought about it, would still join in after the belly full of beer that is de rigeur at a trip to the rugby.

Still, not singing the song in response to a plea from US academics and the New York Times would, to my mind, say something good about England rugby fans. It would show that they are grown-up enough to recognise that there is an issue here, and big enough to change as a result. If it's "only a song", why not pick another?

In my case, not singing in response to an article published by the "enemy of the people", and to pleas by liberal US academics, represents a middle finger to Donald Trump. But that too is my personal choice.

Honestly, some people are never happy unless they're perpetually offended by something.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #493: Mar 11, 2017 11:20:17 am
      I used to enjoy singing 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' – but when I found out what it meant, I felt sick

The choruses of ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ that break out when England plays rugby can be quite something.

It’s hard not to get swept up when it rings out during the build-up to a match, even more so when the team is on the field of play.

I’m more of a sports fan than I am a rugby fun. I've attended a huge variety of events. They range from the grandeur of the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics to the more earthy charms of an evening race meeting at a French trotting track in Normandy and a Minor League baseball match in Nashville, Tennessee.

Even when set against the atmosphere at the former pair, those choruses of ‘Swing Low’ stand out. Rousing when the team is playing well, they provide the soothing balm of “we’re all in this together” when they’re not.

The New York Times, however, has put a rather different spin on the song's use, suggesting it might actually be grossly offensive to turn a spiritual from the slave-owning era in America into something as trivial as a sporting anthem.

The newspaper recently sought the views of academics on its use by rugby fans generally, and those of England in particular. They were horrified. Take the reaction of Arthur Jones, a music history professor and founder of the Spiritual Project at the University of Denver. He told the newspaper that the situation reminded him of American sports teams who use Native American names and imagery, "in that a group of people seemed to be free-associating with imagery largely disconnected from its history".

“My first reaction is absolute shock – and I actually understand it when I think about it – but that’s my first reaction,” Jones said. “I feel kind of sad. I feel like the story of American chattel slavery and this incredible cultural tradition, built up within a community of people who were victims and often seen as incapable of standing up for themselves, [makes for] such a powerful story that I want the whole world to know about it."

At this point there will be those who charge in with accusations of “political correctness gone mad”, all the more so given the fact that the controversy has been stoked by academics speaking to a bastion of prissy American liberalism, otherwise known in this Trumpian era as “the enemy of the people”.

I'd imagine the crux of their argument would rest on the lack of anything resembling ill intent on the part of the fans. And that is true. This is not the same as the singing of ‘No Surrender to the IRA’ to the tune of the hymn ‘Give Me Joy In My Heart’ by a minority of England football fans nearly two decades since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.

A significant number among those that sing that song are well aware of its political overtones, and of its use as a marching song by the far-right English Defence League. Their intent is explicitly political, malign and racist.

The use of ‘Swing Low’ by rugby fans is different. When England’s Mako Vunipola, who is of Tongan descent, was made aware of its origins, he shrugged it off, telling the Daily Telegraph: “If the fans want to sing it then let them sing it, but obviously if people find it offensive then sorry.”

Until you consider the lyrics. When I read them, and thought about them, I felt slightly sick because they are a call for the release of death by a slave who has been brutally mistreated.

Then I recalled the aforementioned trip to Nashville and the American South. The ugly legacy of slavery was everywhere. Some of what we saw in museums about how it operated was truly horrifying. Set against that, the use of the song in a sporting context? Well it makes me shudder, anyway.

It is certainly possible to over-moralise. But I still don’t think it is "political correctness gone mad" to suggest that it might be a nice idea to show willingness to consider other people's feelings and to refrain from singing a song if its use is considered insulting or out of order. It is simply a matter of being respectful.

Of course, it ultimately has to be a personal decision. Not singing is just mine. There are many who feel like Vunipola, and that’s understandable, as Jones recognised. There are also many who, while they might have misgivings if they thought about it, would still join in after the belly full of beer that is de rigeur at a trip to the rugby.

Still, not singing the song in response to a plea from US academics and the New York Times would, to my mind, say something good about England rugby fans. It would show that they are grown-up enough to recognise that there is an issue here, and big enough to change as a result. If it's "only a song", why not pick another?

In my case, not singing in response to an article published by the "enemy of the people", and to pleas by liberal US academics, represents a middle finger to Donald Trump. But that too is my personal choice.

Honestly, some people are never happy unless they're perpetually offended by something.

Disappointed to find out that it isn't actually about swinging
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #494: Mar 11, 2017 12:40:50 pm

I'll be honest Beer, I've read that article twice now and still none the wiser why people are complaining.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #495: Mar 14, 2017 04:22:12 pm
      Dude that wrote the article must be a scot,must be sick of hearing it after the weekend battering the sweaty's took.men,women, u-20's,swing low ya fuckers.p.s i don't like rugby.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #496: Jun 24, 2017 11:05:47 am
      Reckon those allblacks have got a chance
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #497: Jun 24, 2017 12:02:23 pm
      All blacks on another level, sometimes you just have to admire brilliance.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #498: Jul 01, 2017 10:29:09 am
      The British Lions beat the All Blacks 24-21 in the second test.Sonny Bill Williams was sent off (red card) in the first half for head butting one of the Lions.The 3rd and final test will be next Saturday in Auckland.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #499: Jul 01, 2017 10:37:33 am
      The British Lions beat the All Blacks 24-21 in the second test.Sonny Bill Williams was sent off (red card) in the first half for head butting one of the Lions.The 3rd and final test will be next Saturday in Auckland.
      Don't think it was a head butt, shoulder to head
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #500: Jul 01, 2017 10:51:07 am
      Don't think it was a head butt, shoulder to head

You are correct,it was a shoulder to head,cheers
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #501: Jul 01, 2017 11:03:22 am
      Was rooting for the All Blacks there but fair play to the Lions I guess......Always found the way a little nation like New Zealand can have a sport utterly embedded in their DNA and dominate the world utterly compelling.

Otherwise rugby doesn't do much for me and the whole British & Irish Lions concept is alien to me.......especially when you see fans kissing the badge  :roll: but each to their own.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #502: Jul 01, 2017 11:44:32 am
      You are correct,it was a shoulder to head,cheers

No worries,  either way i bet it hurt
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #503: Jul 01, 2017 01:30:14 pm
      GET THE F**k IN!

Amazing last 10 minutes, well played boys!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #504: Jul 01, 2017 01:30:49 pm
      F***ing awesome win! Well chuffed!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #505: Jul 08, 2017 10:32:13 am
      What a tour, well done to everyone in red. Shame they can't go on and play a decider.

Quick Reply