Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Vandals ruin Hillsborough garden

Read 17697 times
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 312 posts | -2 
      Re: Vandals ruin Hillsborough garden
      Reply #46: Jun 11, 2009 07:03:08 pm
      great news they arrested some one
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #47: Jun 12, 2009 09:50:12 am
      Hope the pr**k gets ID'd and proper justice is served out.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #48: Jun 12, 2009 10:37:39 am
      Looking at that pic posted by james08kop I'd say there was more than one of the little cu*ts I hope they get the rest of them.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #49: Jun 12, 2009 07:00:34 pm
      Update
      Arrests over Hillsborough damage
      Police have made more arrests in connection with the vandalism of a Hillsborough memorial in Wirral.

Two boys, aged 16 and 13, have been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

They were questioned on Friday following the arrest of a 16-year-old boy the day before.

All three have now been released on police bail. A voluntary group is offering a reward for the successful prosecution of those responsible.

The garden was created to remember the 96 Liverpool football fans who died at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield 20 years ago.

Officers are still reviewing CCTV footage from the surrounding area.

Police maintain the incident, which resulted in damage put at £10,000, was "not an anti-Hillsborough attack".

LINK
      MsGerrard
      Reply #50: Jun 12, 2009 09:31:41 pm
      HELP RESTORE HILLSBOROUGH GARDEN

James Carroll 12 June 2009

Liverpool fans were today urged to play their part in helping restore the Hillsborough Memorial Garden in Port Sunlight after mindless vandals damaged the commemorative area last weekend.
      Memorial stones were thrown across the garden in the Merseyside village and decorative balustrades were smashed during the attack by a gang of youths in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"Everybody I've spoken to in the village is deeply upset by this," said Lionel Bolland of the Port Sunlight Village Trust.

"I can't believe how anybody could act in such a base way and can't find the words to describe how despicable this act is.

"Someone was looking at the smashed stones lying on the ground and said to me that they might as well be the 96 who lost their lives in Hillsborough lying there.

"It's going to cost a lot of money to restore, because the monument features natural stone.

"We need to make sure that it's carefully and sensitively restored."

Distressed villagers are now appealing to supporters to help them raise the minimum cost of £20,000 needed to cover the insurance excess and repair and restore the monument.

hillsboroughgarden1Port Sunlight resident Kerri Dobbins told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I was so distressed by the whole thing that I felt the need to do something to help.
      "The pain the Hillsborough families are feeling because of this damage must be horrendous.

"Although I'm a Stockport County supporter, I remember the day of Hillsborough vividly. It's ingrained on my mind.

"I watched the events unfold live on television and was distraught by the press photographs that arrived the following day. They've constantly been in my mind for the last 20 years.

"We want to put right the wrongs that have been done to the garden and restore it."

Leaflets will be distributed around Merseyside in hotels and railway stations urging fans to donate to the cause.

Mr Dobbins added: "We need to raise a minimum of £20,000 to cover the insurance excess, but we're hoping to raise over and above that so we can install CCTV security in the area, which the insurance won't pay for, as well as tidy up the other areas of the garden.

"Any remaining funds will be donated to the Hillsborough Family Support Group."

Fans can currently donate by cheque, which should be made out The Hillsborough Memorial Restoration Fund and sent to -

VK Dobbins
      c/o Port Sunlight Village Trust
      23 King Georges Drive
      Port Sunlight
      Wirral
      CH62 5DX

A bank account is expected to be opened on Monday to allow fans to directly transfer funds to the appeal.

The memorial area was built by Unilever shortly after the stadium disaster 20 years ago and is situated near the Grade II listed Lady Lever Art Gallery.

Port Sunlight Village Trust is a registered charity (1074713).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #51: Jun 12, 2009 09:37:40 pm
      Thanks for the info RedPuppy and MsG.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #52: Jun 14, 2009 05:04:43 pm
      If the damage caused was £10k why do they need £20k just for the Insurance excess or have i got it wrong.
      Sunlight
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #53: Jun 16, 2009 03:51:47 pm
      In response to the question about the cost of the damage:
      After examination of the damage by various experts, the Trust's latest estimate is a cost of £30,000 - £40,000.  Our insurance excess is £20,000.
      We're still waiting for final figurers to come in from restorers

The official appeal will be launched shortly.  Details and updates will soon be on our website,
      www.portsunlightvillage.com

Thanks to everyone for the great response to what has happened here.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #54: Jun 16, 2009 08:57:47 pm
      Thanks for posting an address for donations. I have mailed out a Money Order today for $25.00(US).  It wont fix all of it but I hope it helps.

I cant believe that 2-3 minutes worth of vandalism can do so much. Whoever did that should be beat to hell.  Once I read the post I was instantly angered. Youth today have 0 respect for anything noble or memorable.

You know it was a group of 5-8 kids drunk acting like assholes. If I had a family member killed at Hillsborough and read this. I would go out of my fukcing mind.

The worst thought about it is, whoever did it is Local. A neighborhood kid. I dont think anyone would travel to the memorial for the purpose of destroying it. If their local they MUST know why the memorial is there.

No respect. No respect at all.

That goes beyond Football or sport.  That is a memorial to family and friends who died tragically.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 16, 2009 09:03:49 pm
      I will be sending a check as well. I may be a bit on funds right now but that is something worth giving.

To think some kids would think this is "cool" to do is just...it is so sad and downright pathetic.

I hope they throw everything by law standards at these kids.

Usually i tend to feel bad for kids as we have all done dumb things but this just crosses the line and then some.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #56: Jun 16, 2009 09:08:23 pm
      Thugs. F***ing scumbags.

FAO YANK_LFC_FAN, I understand your comments about the youth of today not having any respect for anything noble or memorable. However, I would just like to speak for some on behalf of some of the younger members of this forum (myself included), that we're not all like that.

YNWA.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #57: Jun 16, 2009 10:54:21 pm
      Certainly my comment was not geared towards ALL youth. I think the majority of youth is no different now, than I was. 

It was directed to the assholes who destroyed the memorial.  Just that action alone shows me that they have 0 respect for anyone or anything. I could be wrong and It may of been adults who destroyed it. However, plain and random vandalism like that would normally be carried out by kids.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #58: Jun 17, 2009 02:54:38 pm
      Jeeze... there's low, and then there's this, utter disgrace so it is
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #59: Jun 18, 2009 03:13:36 pm
      If I knew who these people were I would snap there legs  >:(
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2009 01:22:22 am
      this made me feel physically sick and brought tears to my eyes
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #61: Jan 31, 2010 09:09:47 pm
      Scumballs, I hope they rot in hell.
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #62: Jan 31, 2010 09:21:11 pm
      did they ever find out who it was?
      Benny Taz
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #63: Feb 01, 2010 03:21:04 am
      Jail is too good for the scum who did this.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #64: Feb 11, 2010 08:02:42 pm
      I'll never understand some people. Little bas**rds, thats all they are!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #65: Mar 07, 2010 06:57:07 pm
      An update on this.

Work has been carried out to repair the Portland Stonework, well done to all involved in raising the money to have it restored.

Quick Reply