Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

England National Football Team

Read 357115 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2714: Sep 29, 2016 09:49:34 am
      John I have tried to arrive at a conclusion to the player you mention in the 1940s for match fixing.I cannot recall any player at L.F.C. who was tainted with those allegations.The only football played between 1940 and 1946 was friendlies due to the second world war.When football resumed in 1946/47 season we won the league.The players were all paid the same wages and as far as I can remember they were on 20 pound week,21 pound for a draw and 22 pound for a win.
       In finishing I could never imagine the likes of Billy Liddell,Bob Paisley and so many other greats of the time throwing a match.Also the players lived in houses owned by the club in the Bowring Park and Eaton Road area so they had a hell of a lot to lose in those days.

I don't think he's saying someone actually was involved in corruption, just someone was talking about it back then.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2715: Sep 29, 2016 09:53:47 am
      I don't think he's saying someone actually was involved in corruption, just someone was talking about it back then.

All I am saying is I do not recall any adverse publicity regarding players and corruption at Anfield in the 1940s.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2716: Sep 29, 2016 11:17:59 am
      The England National Football Team

The implied grandeur the title represents belies the corruption that has always been present at the very highest level of the FA; corruption that still exists. These disclosures are the tip of the iceberg.

There has amazingly, been criticism even on this forum of people who will not get behind the national team, the vast majority in Liverpool don't give a shiny one about the national team; the lack of support has never been more justified.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #2717: Sep 30, 2016 01:38:28 am
      So why are you so supportive of a fat f**king woolyback c**t who was only too happy to do Ferguson's dirty work in trying to get at Rafa.

As if any Liverpool fan should be arsed about that c**t losing his job.

Im not supportive of him, im just pointing out that the rules the FA have in place are not water tight. Surely they should use this as an opportunity to tighten the rules rather than half ass it and just leave it to everyone else to sort out their problems.

I hated Sam being appointed in the first place, and for me its hilarious how he has now been sacked after one game! However, I feel the real culprits here are the FA for having rules in place that be can worked around. The message they have sent out is this, if you are going to bend the rules, be VERY discreet and make sure we dont hear about it because we cannot be assed to work!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #2718: Sep 30, 2016 01:41:09 am
      The England National Football Team

The implied grandeur the title represents belies the corruption that has always been present at the very highest level of the FA; corruption that still exists. These disclosures are the tip of the iceberg.

There has amazingly, been criticism even on this forum of people who will not get behind the national team, the vast majority in Liverpool don't give a shiny one about the national team; the lack of support has never been more justified.

If we have none of our players in the starting 11, I want them lose, on principle!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2719: Sep 30, 2016 05:19:37 am
      John I have tried to arrive at a conclusion to the player you mention in the 1940s for match fixing.I cannot recall any player at L.F.C. who was tainted with those allegations.The only football played between 1940 and 1946 was friendlies due to the second world war.When football resumed in 1946/47 season we won the league.The players were all paid the same wages and as far as I can remember they were on 20 pound week,21 pound for a draw and 22 pound for a win.
       In finishing I could never imagine the likes of Billy Liddell,Bob Paisley and so many other greats of the time throwing a match.Also the players lived in houses owned by the club in the Bowring Park and Eaton Road area so they had a hell of a lot to lose in those days.

Hey Billy, i should've been clearer. They didn't say it was happening at LFC but they knew of it happening in the game at the time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2720: Sep 30, 2016 06:08:51 pm
      I was really hoping for the prospective candidates to be sh*t but in fairness Ralf Rangnick is an inspired choice for manager. Refuse to believe that the FA even knows who he is let alone are considering him! The brains and inspiration behind Germany's rising fortune the last decade and a forerunner to Klopp no less.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #2721: Sep 30, 2016 08:33:10 pm
      The LMA have criticised the Daily Telegraph for not passing the information they have gathered on to the FA already.

Obviously because 90% of their members are crapping themselves and want to know if they're in the frame or not.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2722: Oct 01, 2016 03:35:39 am
      Noticed Arry came out and matter of factly said his players bet on games they played but he didn't think it was against the rules or anything haha oh man, shits going to hit the fan here and they're crapping themselves.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #2723: Oct 01, 2016 04:00:15 am
      Noticed Arry came out and matter of factly said his players bet on games they played but he didn't think it was against the rules or anything haha oh man, shits going to hit the fan here and they're crapping themselves.

Wonder if Arry's still got all his dosh stashed in his cat's account :laugh:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2724: Oct 01, 2016 11:26:31 am
      Wonder if Arry's still got all his dosh stashed in his cat's account :laugh:

Haha i thought it was Rosie the dog?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2725: Oct 01, 2016 03:31:24 pm
      'arry didn't make his name as a wheeler dealer for nothing! :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBsI7RAuvk
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2726: Oct 01, 2016 04:15:08 pm
      Definitely wasn't Bill who i was thinking about.

I could be wrong but it might have been Ian St John?

Stjohn in his book admitted he and his team mates accepted a bribe to throw a match when he was at Motherwell. The manager found out before the game and threatened them all and the fix was dropped.

Tommy Smith in his book said that Arsenal had supposedly offered to throw the match (which meant Liverpool would have won the title) but Liverpool refused. The match was drawn and Derby won the league.   
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #2727: Oct 01, 2016 09:54:39 pm

Exactly, Rosie's been facking rumbled!!

Hahaha my bad knew it was one of the other.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2728: Oct 02, 2016 08:15:04 am
      Is there any truth to the rumour that Big Fat Sam has been signed by MIAMI VICE. :laugh:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2729: Oct 02, 2016 03:24:39 pm
      This infatuation of having an English manager is all well and good, but the last English manager to win the League was Howard Wilkinson in '92.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #2730: Oct 02, 2016 03:46:02 pm
      Extract of a Story from the Independent. Google Sandy Turnbull if you want the full story.
      A colleague of mine is married to his grandson

On Good Friday 1915, with the war already eight months' old, Turnbull, three other United players, and four Liverpool players, "squared" (ie. fixed) the score of a United win at Old Trafford as part of a betting coup. An investigation found that at least three United players, including Turnbull, had twice met the Liverpool captain, Jackie Sheldon, in the Dog and Partridge pub in Manchester. The day before the match, they agreed that United would score a goal in each half. The players placed bets at seven to one on a 2-0 United win.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2731: Oct 02, 2016 04:01:32 pm
      Extract of a Story from the Independent. Google Sandy Turnbull if you want the full story.
      A colleague of mine is married to his grandson

On Good Friday 1915, with the war already eight months' old, Turnbull, three other United players, and four Liverpool players, "squared" (ie. fixed) the score of a United win at Old Trafford as part of a betting coup. An investigation found that at least three United players, including Turnbull, had twice met the Liverpool captain, Jackie Sheldon, in the Dog and Partridge pub in Manchester. The day before the match, they agreed that United would score a goal in each half. The players placed bets at seven to one on a 2-0 United win.

I knew that, wan't it to stop them being relegated too?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2732: Oct 02, 2016 08:56:16 pm
      Glen Johnson, that rock solid stalwart at the back of Stoke's incredible defence so far this season, has been recalled to the England squad.

England Football Team - the joke that just keeps on giving.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2733: Oct 02, 2016 09:01:18 pm
      Glen Johnson, that rock solid stalwart at the back of Stoke's incredible defence so far this season, has been recalled to the England squad.

England Football Team - the joke that just keeps on giving.

We're playing Malta, so we should be 'OK'.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Stoke), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2734: Oct 02, 2016 09:54:35 pm
      That England squad :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think I'll continue not watching!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #2735: Oct 04, 2016 06:18:23 pm
      Very surprised to see Glen Johnson recalled to the England squad, seems that they are going further backwards. The England team seems to truly be going into decline.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #2736: Oct 04, 2016 06:57:08 pm
      Very surprised to see Glen Johnson recalled to the England squad, seems that they are going further backwards. The England team seems to truly be going into decline.

Just heard he has withdrawn injured anyway.

Will England do any better under Gareth Southgate than his predecessors?

In a word  - No.

His first act was to state that Wayne Rooney will remain Captain.

On his present form Rooney should not even be in the team.

So just expect more failure, but then again, who cares.   

Quick Reply