Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

England National Football Team

Read 357042 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #3013: Jun 22, 2018 12:50:38 pm
      Can't accept the we should be grateful for what we have in this country. That way leads to acceptance of lower standards. Going to get bad enough thanks to the Tories without us accepting crap just because the UK might have higher standards than other less fortunate countries.

Southgate was desperation by the FA. They screwed up with fat Sam and took a punt on Southgate even tho he hasn't the track record to be even considered. Aidy Boothroyd is doing OK with the under 21's, let's hope when Southgate gets the boot the FA don't turn to Boothroyd.

Southgate should stick to a simple 4-4-2. Pack the front 6 with pace and as much creativity as poss.  But he won't because he thinks he is a football coach full of innovative ideas when in truth he's full of coach speak, ridiculous theories that work on the blackboard but not in reality.

You are right in saying there doesn't seem to be any outstanding team so far. I think England have the squad to do well but they have a manager that will overthink it. For example the right side is wasted with Trippier doing very little but he plays great on Southgate's blackboard.

Thru the group then a weak team might get us thru but not much further.
      Regardless, we know that the eventual winners will have had some refs call 50/50 in their favour. It's not going to be us. For England to win a world cup they don't just need to be the best, they need to be so good that they can win every game with a margin to counter the referee calls against us. This means we need to be able to beat teams like France and Brazil 3-0. Since when it's 0-0 or 3-3, refs going to screw us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3014: Jun 22, 2018 12:56:59 pm
      Regardless, we know that the eventual winners will have had some refs call 50/50 in their favour. It's not going to be us. For England to win a world cup they don't just need to be the best, they need to be so good that they can win every game with a margin to counter the referee calls against us. This means we need to be able to beat teams like France and Brazil 3-0. Since when it's 0-0 or 3-3, refs going to screw us.

;D getting the excuses out early?
      Kopite78
      Reply #3015: Jun 22, 2018 12:57:49 pm

Well apart from being a bit tin foil hat stuff the only other thing that holds this back is that England are gash and would never be in a position to it coming down to a referee decision
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3016: Jun 22, 2018 01:31:30 pm

fu**ed then aren't they?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3017: Jun 22, 2018 03:18:36 pm
      Englands biggest problem will be England they will either get over confident or complacent and that's why I say the Panama game will be telling as in the past this could be tricky.
      No team has been exceptional and having just started the tournament that is understandable so lets see how next week develops
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3018: Jun 22, 2018 07:33:58 pm
      Absolutely. If that were Brazil v England, that Neymar dive would have been a pen. Against Costa Rica it was nothing.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3019: Jun 22, 2018 08:36:29 pm
      Absolutely. If that were Brazil v England, that Neymar dive would have been a pen. Against Costa Rica it was nothing.

You think it's England vs the rest of the word?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3020: Jun 22, 2018 09:58:19 pm
      Gerard Houllier on Sky's new footie thing " Football Godfathers". Hasn't been to controversial so far. Didn't say much about the inevitable split with Roy Evans. Talked about his heart op and the emotion of coming back. But had to pack up in April 2011 after another heart scare, while at Villa, his last footie job.

Claims he improved every club or team he was involved with. Improved players like Owen. Best player he managed...Gerrard. Claimed his best achievement was to bring Liverpool into the 21st Century.

My view is he did very well here, was unlucky to be sacked. Bought some crap..they all do that. He was the right man for us at the right time. I respected him and his judgement. Did a good job.
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2018 10:08:24 pm by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3021: Jun 22, 2018 10:32:35 pm
      Southgate's got the hump with the media. His assistant flashed bit of paper with the line up in clear sight. Think for the Tunisia game the selected team had the bibs on in training and the team was well known well before the kick off.

Carping at the media is a regular thing for England at the World Cup. Would've thought Southgate should show a bit more sense.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3022: Jun 22, 2018 10:53:18 pm

You can probably drop the ‘everything goes against poor old Ingerland’ act now seeing as Serbia were denied without doubt the most blatant penalty going so far this year. Mitrovic was literally wrestled to the ground by 2 players, at a crucial point of the game where they could have gone 2-0 up had they not been screwed over...they ended up losing, unlike England against Tunisia.

Proper Manc like with these excuses of everything and everyone being against Ingerland...not a good look.

What with all this rubbish from Southgate and Walker about asking the media to help the team out is cringeworthy too and is one of the reasons why nobody takes them seriously. It’s hardly rocket science how they are going to line up and play anyway given they’ve been using the same formation for a number of games now. Just get on with it and quit with all the excuses.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3023: Jun 23, 2018 01:27:05 pm
      Gerard Houllier on Sky's new footie thing " Football Godfathers". Hasn't been to controversial so far. Didn't say much about the inevitable split with Roy Evans. Talked about his heart op and the emotion of coming back. But had to pack up in April 2011 after another heart scare, while at Villa, his last footie job.

Claims he improved every club or team he was involved with. Improved players like Owen. Best player he managed...Gerrard. Claimed his best achievement was to bring Liverpool into the 21st Century.

My view is he did very well here, was unlucky to be sacked. Bought some crap..they all do that. He was the right man for us at the right time. I respected him and his judgement. Did a good job.

Was on a couple of weeks ago on the History channel before the world cup kicked off.

Ged was harsh to be sacked, but he needed a break from footy after the heart op, came back far too quickly. The decision to not buy Anelka, instead getting Diouf, Diao & Cheyrou pretty much did for him. Then the disastrous 03/04 season just added the extra nail into the coffin.

But in the same way I love Rafa for 2005, share the same love for Ged for the treble season in 2001.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3024: Jun 24, 2018 12:47:28 pm
      the worst thing that could happen today is if England win big and then we get the nonsense from the press about winning.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3025: Jun 24, 2018 03:21:49 pm
      the worst thing that could happen today is if England win big and then we get the nonsense from the press about winning.

Yeah in total agreement.  Hype us up and then knock us when we go out. Wankers the lot of them.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #3026: Jun 24, 2018 03:30:55 pm
      Let's call a spade a spade Panama were atrocious. England have not been tested yet Belgium will be their first proper WC match.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3027: Jun 24, 2018 03:50:11 pm
      Let's call a spade a spade Panama were atrocious. England have not been tested yet Belgium will be their first proper WC match.

same for Belgium but this England team is understated and England teams are better being underdogs
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3028: Jun 24, 2018 03:53:47 pm
      I think Lingard is actually a far better player than the media hype. He is a very mature young man with incredible ability better than any of his piers Rashford included and he could be England's trump card in this Comp but in saying that Rashford could also play a huge part
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3029: Jun 24, 2018 04:08:06 pm
      Have to admit, I enjoy watching this young team play, no expectations, just go out enjoy & win..I've not been supportive of the past national teams..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3030: Jun 24, 2018 07:07:14 pm
      I think Lingard is actually a far better player than the media hype. He is a very mature young man with incredible ability better than any of his piers Rashford included and he could be England's trump card in this Comp but in saying that Rashford could also play a huge part

Far better player than I gave him credit for two years ago. Really blossomed and can score quite a few crackers as well.

Have to admit, I enjoy watching this young team play, no expectations, just go out enjoy & win..I've not been supportive of the past national teams..

Showing Hodgson up as being far worse an England manager than people originally thought.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3031: Jun 24, 2018 08:29:38 pm

I find it strange that nobody has actually picked up on the fact that other than set pieces, England don’t look like scoring. Fair enough they smashed Panama, most teams would but Kane, despite getting a hat trick wasn’t in the game at all. 2 were penalties and 3rd was a complete freak of a goal that would probably never happen for him again. Lingad scored a good goal but 6 of the 8 goals so far have been set pieces, what’s going to happen when they come up against a team that can actually defend?
      Panama, if they had a bit of quality about them could easily have gone 1-0 up early on, poor passing from England led to a great chance for their player but was a huge let off he fu**ed it. That happens against a team with quality and it’s a goal. Poor defending led to Panama scoring too, not forgetting they should have scored minutes before that too from a corner.
      Fair enough you can only play what’s in front of you and they’ve got the job done but I think people are blind to just how uncreative England looked against Panama other than from set pieces. 6 goals and you’d think the other team was taken apart, but I can’t remember their keeper actually being tested other than the goals.

2 wins against poor opposition has just got the tinted glasses on people and relying on set pieces against quality opposition isn’t going to be enough soon.

Credit Kane for getting a hat trick but he was poor, he wasn’t in the game at all.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3032: Jun 25, 2018 12:27:53 am
      I find it strange that nobody has actually picked up on the fact that other than set pieces, England don’t look like scoring. Fair enough they smashed Panama, most teams would but Kane, despite getting a hat trick wasn’t in the game at all. 2 were penalties and 3rd was a complete freak of a goal that would probably never happen for him again. Lingad scored a good goal but 6 of the 8 goals so far have been set pieces, what’s going to happen when they come up against a team that can actually defend?
      Panama, if they had a bit of quality about them could easily have gone 1-0 up early on, poor passing from England led to a great chance for their player but was a huge let off he fu**ed it. That happens against a team with quality and it’s a goal. Poor defending led to Panama scoring too, not forgetting they should have scored minutes before that too from a corner.
      Fair enough you can only play what’s in front of you and they’ve got the job done but I think people are blind to just how uncreative England looked against Panama other than from set pieces. 6 goals and you’d think the other team was taken apart, but I can’t remember their keeper actually being tested other than the goals.

2 wins against poor opposition has just got the tinted glasses on people and relying on set pieces against quality opposition isn’t going to be enough soon.

Credit Kane for getting a hat trick but he was poor, he wasn’t in the game at all.
      Tunisia aren't poor opposition. Probably best team in Africa. Belgium and England just made them look average. Additionally, Panama finished above USA and Chile in qualification. Panama probably are  a worser side than most, but top teams have been struggling against lower sides. Brazil only broken Costa Rica down in injury time. I don't understand how after 2 games into the world cup you moan about how most our goals are from set pieces. We've had some great set pieces and without them we'd be on 4 points instead of 6. We have had a total of 2 yellow cards. Look at some teams diving and kicking, then there's England who get stick for scoring from set plays. Laughable. The sad fact is anti-English brigade is not able to laugh at England yet and they're clutching at straws, anything negative to say. Even if England won the world cup, all we'd hear is, they didn't deserve it and this reason, that reason. It's really really boring. The reality is that this is the youngest England side we've ever fielded, youngest in this  years competition and nobody will want to face England until quarter finals.

I can't remember many Liverpool fans saying when we thrashed Maribor that they're a bad team, so why is it different for England v Panama?
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018 12:39:34 am by Ribapuru »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3033: Jun 25, 2018 12:48:08 am
      Look at some teams diving and kicking, then there's England who get stick for scoring from set plays.

You mean like how Sterling was diving in the warm up games to try and win a penalty? I also didn’t say anything bad about their set plays, I said how they didn’t look like scoring or creating anything other than from set plays, there’s a difference....the Lingard moment aside.

The sad fact is anti-English brigade is not able to laugh at England yet and they're clutching at straws, anything negative to say. Even if England won the world cup, all we'd hear is, they didn't deserve it and this reason, that reason.

Not a case of “anti English brigade”. Not for me anyway, I’m dual nationality, I’m as much English as I am Maltese and I support them no more than I do Ingerland, club over both countries for me like.

I can't remember many Liverpool fans saying when we thrashed Maribor that they're a bad team, so why is it different for England v Panama?

Maybe that’s a question you should be asking Mancs, Chavs etc who said it was only Maribor, how about we face decent opposition, funny how they’ve gone quiet about that now...

But like I said, can only play what’s in front of you and relying on set pieces won’t win you the World Cup, IMO.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018 01:12:46 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3034: Jun 25, 2018 12:53:01 am
      quite simply we can only play the team in front of us and Tunisia could easily have been 6-1 had the REF given at least two penalties and we hadn't missed so many good chances.
      I very much doubt Belgium are thinking about the fact they have played poor teams so far England may well lose the next two games but for now the look pretty solid
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #3035: Jun 25, 2018 09:21:45 am
      Agree,when rashford first came on the scene at Utd you could see he had bags of potential as did lingard.
      I think both these players hold the key as to how well we do in this World Cup
      & ive got more faith in those two than I have in sterling.

Quick Reply