Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

England National Football Team

Read 357068 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      England National Football Team
      Jun 08, 2009 09:29:33 pm

Just thought we could do with a thread on England.

If you were Capello what would your team selection be?

I think this can be used as a general England football team discussion thread rather than using several ones like we have in the past, WC qualifier discussion etc can go in here.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #1: Jun 08, 2009 10:19:10 pm
      Oh they are sh*te though aren't they Ross? As long as anyone of our players who ever has to play for them doesn't get injured then it's OK.  Just. But most of the time I can't even bare to watch England games, and when I do, half the time I fall asleep watching them! Sorry to put a downer on your thread, but I'm sure it won't just all be people moaning like me! :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2009 10:24:57 pm
      Good luck Ross.  ;)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2009 10:25:41 pm
      I watch England all the time.

I'll be hoping for success for them in the World Cup, and if they fail then Spain will be my second-choice.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jun 08, 2009 10:25:50 pm
      Nah I expected it to be honest.

To be fair, they do frustrate me England at times, but for some reason I've become more interested in them since the start of the WC Qualifiers and I'm beginning to really look forward to the World Cup next summer.

Although at times our wins haven't been very convincing, we've had 100% success so far and I for one am really pleased with that. I think we need to step it up a gear though to actually be a genuine challenge in the competition.

It's interesting that Capello is implementing Gerrard on the left wing/free role - he's really making things tick for England at the moment. I just feel though that England are lacking another top quality forward perhaps, we have a lot of options but no-one particularly stands out, because let's face it, none of them are that special.

Does anyone have opinion on Beckham, do you think he's still good enough to be playing regularly for England? I'm not sure if he's past it now but he seems to be putting in a decent shift lately whenever called upon, maybe he will just be used as a squad player during the World Cup though and it might be time to bring in a winger such as Lennon or Walcott regularly.
      StevieJesus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 316 posts |
      • Liverpool Fc - One name. One legend
      Reply #5: Jun 08, 2009 10:26:05 pm
      Good ol' Gow putting a nice spin on England. ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #6: Jun 08, 2009 10:29:28 pm
      Dunno, I just feel like there's lots of mediocre players in the England squad and they seem to be forever chopping and changing. I mean, Heskey is 'kin sh*te, and yet we have to watch him play for England, when I wouldn't want to watch him play sunday league football!

The papers almost pick the England team, and the circus that surrounds it all (ie banging on about wag's all the time) just takes any kind of glamour away from the football. I for one would hate to watch rio and john terry and ashley cole lifting the world cup aloft with big daft grins on their faces, because I'd be thinking of Carragher and how it should be him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Jun 08, 2009 10:31:31 pm
      Dunno, I just feel like there's lots of mediocre players in the England squad and they seem to be forever chopping and changing. I mean, Heskey is 'kin sh*te, and yet we have to watch him play for England, when I wouldn't want to watch him play sunday league football!

The papers almost pick the England team, and the circus that surrounds it all (ie banging on about wag's all the time) just takes any kind of glamour away from the football. I for one would hate to watch rio and john terry and ashley cole lifting the world cup aloft with big daft grins on their faces, because I'd be thinking of Carragher and how it should be him.

Stevie wants a WC winners' medal - would you deny him that?

The England team is one of the best in the world - on paper. If they all play like we know they can then they have a huge chance of winning it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #8: Jun 08, 2009 10:35:52 pm
      No, of course I don't want Steven Gerrard not to have one. But I'd rather they didn't get past the groups and Gerrard came back nice and fresh for the following season, rather than burned out or injured or unable to recapture his form after the come-down of winning it.

Liverpool Football Club comes first! :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jun 08, 2009 10:41:05 pm
      I agree with the whole injury debate etc but then I guess you have to look at the fact that every club is running the same risk when allowing their players away on International duty.

Can you imagine the sense of National pride if we achieved something great at the World Cup next summer, it would just be unbelievable.
      Gerrard-08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 08, 2009 10:48:53 pm
      Does anyone have opinion on Beckham, do you think he's still good enough to be playing regularly for England?

IMO Beckham should be used as a squad player, nothing more. I think Walcott can cause a threat to any defender with his pace and will be a greater attacking option rather than Beckham.

On another note, I admire the system Capello is using with Rooney and Gerrard atm, switching roles. It seems to be effective and working well whilst Barry/Lampard are given a holding role.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jun 08, 2009 10:51:13 pm
      Agreed. Gerrard and Rooney seem to be linking up pretty well.

Any ideas what might happen on Wednesday in the absence of Barry? I was thinking maybe a player like Carrick will step in for him but maybe Capello will use it as an opportunity to try something different.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2009 10:52:57 pm
      The England team is one of the best in the world - on paper. If they all play like we know they can then they have a huge chance of winning it.

They're F***ing sh*te. A bunch of prima-donna tw*ts.

Only two world class players in the squad and they're both scousers.

Haven't got a decent keeper, James is an OAP, Robinson's a pieman and Green just isn't good enough.

The only thing the FA have done right recently was to employ Capello and even he isn't the best coach in Europe, got embarrased several times by Ged.

Viva Espana!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2009 10:54:39 pm
      Don't agree with that at all. The only thing I do agree with is the problems in terms of finding a good enough goalkeeper.
      Gerrard-08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2009 11:02:32 pm
      Carrick would be a decent replacement imo Ross after the form he has shown of late.

As for the goalkeeper situation, who would you prefer to have in between the posts if you had the choice?

I think Green deserves his shot at #1
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2009 11:08:12 pm
      Yeah, I think Green should probably be given the opportunity with these remaining qualifying fixtures.

If he screws up, time for someone else to be chosen. No time for messing about now really in my opinion.
      Gerrard-08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2009 11:44:23 pm
      I agree. Green hasn't really been tested on the international stage yet so we will see how things go.

I'm not to concerned about colourful performances with England against teams such as Andorra. It's when we play more respectable opposition, that's when we need to play our pretty football. But as long as we are winning and getting the points for qualification, I find that to be the most important thing atm.  

Does anyone have match predictions for the Andorra game or would you like to do that in a separate thread?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #17: Jun 08, 2009 11:50:23 pm
      I reckon 4-0 to England.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Jun 09, 2009 12:01:12 am
      The most england can hope for is a Qf place at the world cup, even under Capello they still miss the midfeild out and do a lot of passing from defence to attack, 80's football, why oh why don't someone get them playing  a fast tempo game with a lot more short passing, not passing to the midfeild do not make sense, until they learn that they will always be a QF team and no more......
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jun 09, 2009 12:10:44 am
      To be honest I don't give a damn about all but one of the national teams players. I don't care if they play well or not because at the end of the day I only ever cheer on Gerrard and hope he does well and he deserves the World Cup medal because a player of his calibre should not be without a World Cup or European Championship.

I think I would be more bothered about them if Capello had stuck to what he said about only choosing players on merit, not reputation. How half of them are in the team I don't know!

Anyway I am Scouse Maltese, thats my nationality. :D

Hope Gerrard wins midweek or whenever it is they play ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #20: Jun 09, 2009 12:51:24 am

Seconded.

This will be the first and last time I will probably ever visit this thread.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Jun 09, 2009 09:27:54 am
      Realistically, England should thrash Andorra on Wednesday. Is it at Wembley too?

They lost 5-1 at the weekend to Belarus. We should beat them about 6-0.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #22: Jun 09, 2009 09:00:24 pm
      Heard today that Carrick is actually injured, so it will be interesting seeing the team selection tommorow.

Apparently Andorra have claimed that they are going to aim to try and frustrate England tommorow - putting 10 men behind the ball basically so an early goal will definately help. If that's the case then I don't think it's really neccessary for there to be a holding midfielder as such tommorow night.

Maybe something like:

Green

Johnson Terry Upson Cole

Wright-Phillips Beckham Lampard Gerrard

Heskey Rooney

Quick Reply