Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Spirit of Shankly do - Munich chants

Read 33406 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Spirit of Shankly do - Munich chants
      Jun 10, 2009 04:22:08 pm
      Liverpool fans sing about Munich at SOS do

Article from the Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/10/shankly-group-promise-probe-over-munich-songs-100252-23834964/

Just like to condone the chanting of the people who were at this event following the final game of the season.

As a forum we do not actively encourage any particular supporters groups although we believe that fans deserve independent representation.

The groups and causes we, as a Liverpool forum, support the ethos (and financially where relevant) are listed as ever in the rules of the forum and they are (in no particular order).

1) Justice for Michael Shields
      2) The Hillsborough Justice Campaign
      3) Don't buy The S*n (do not publish links to the site or quote articles directly from it)
      4) Reclaim the Kop
      5. Zoe Place Children's Hospice
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2009 09:37:17 am by JD »
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Re: Spirit of Shankly do - Munich chants
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2009 04:29:55 pm
      Absolutely disgusting that, as much as I hate them, no need for it.

They'd be the the first to complain about Manure fans singing about Hillsborough.

It's times like this when you got to realise it's just a sport and real people die, no matter what club they represent they still have families.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2009 04:37:46 pm
      For an organisation taking up Shankly's name I find it all pretty distasteful.

I'd imagine quite a few people may be considering their membership of the group now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2009 04:47:22 pm
      Totally out of order.

Like it's been said, if it was United fans singing/chanting about the Hillsborough disaster then they'd be the first to complain. They should be ashamed of themselves.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2009 04:53:18 pm
      Yep, well out of order that. Sickening thing to do. Probably the same people that go to the match to get pissed, turn up 5 minutes before kickoff, miss the last ten minutes of the first half and the first ten minutes of the second half coz they're away getting a pie and 4 pints, and then get off ten minutes before the final whistle to wait for the away fans in Stanley Park.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jun 10, 2009 05:07:06 pm
      There's having a good time, but at the expense of the dead, they're just as bad as the scum that sing about Hillsborough.

Why not just sing all about our vast glorious past?

Well, who's gonna take the union seriously after that? The media will have a field day with this and the owners will be laughing their fat heads off. All the good work that's gone into building the union up and you get a result of this.

Disheartened.

TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #6: Jun 10, 2009 05:09:47 pm
      tis why ive had nothing to do with them and seeing this i doubt i ever will.

i share the same views as what the S.O.S. stand for, but too many hypocritical dick heads who need a good hiding.

ive heard the stories of problems SOS members cause, prodominantly on away trips, which rubs off on other fans and OLSC merseyside branch members were they share equal bollockings and tough policing and viscious abuse from other teams fans.

no brain morons who would scream for the death penalty should derograttry comments and chants be made over hillsborough.

Those who joined in, and the singer himself should hang their heads in shame and apologise for such dispicable actions, which will no doubt cause repocussions to eminate from manchester, and unfortunatly it will be all liverpool fans and those connected to the club will no be berated with insults and low opinions of us thanks to a group who are a disgrace to themselves and the club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Jun 10, 2009 05:14:07 pm
      I agree that the fans need representation but I didn't sign up because it seemed to be pretty much 'all the old faces' got themselves in to positions on the board.

I knew we should have forced Kenny to run for the board.  I know for a fact he has sufficient intelligence to pull a plug out of some speakers.

I hadn't joined. And I won't be doing so now.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Jun 10, 2009 05:25:48 pm
      I hadn't joined. And I won't be doing so now.

Same here.

It's disgraceful and I agree that they'd be the first ones to knock someone for singing about Hillsborough.

We as Liverpool fans like to see ourselves above the majority of the sh*te who lower themselves to chant stuff like that. How can we do so when we have gobshites such as these dragging us back down again.

A disgrace to the name of Liverpool and to the name of Shankly.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Jun 10, 2009 07:24:29 pm
      Cringeworthy that.  Should be ashamed of themselves, hypocrites the lot of them.  Kenny, give your membership back mate, they let themselves down badly there.  Your'e too good for them.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Jun 10, 2009 07:27:59 pm
      Should be ashamed of themselves, hypocrites the lot of them.

Seconded, it's the perfect word for it.

Any fans of any club chanting about players or fans who have tragically lost their lives are a disgrace to themselves, and sport in general.

Poor, poor stuff.
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2009 08:42:38 am by ayrton77, Reason: Typo, yet again »
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #11: Jun 10, 2009 07:32:10 pm
      Who's the fella on the mic then? Sounds like a scally no-mark trying to act famous.

Maybe next year they can get Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson in eh?

Wankers.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Jun 10, 2009 07:54:13 pm
      My membership has just expired..............nee dless to say, I will not be renewing it.  :(
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2009 09:52:02 pm
      I can't condone that behaviour. They should be concentrating on the issue at hand- removal of the club's current owners. They will have lost some friends over this.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Jun 11, 2009 12:42:32 am
      Some bellend on a mic whipping drunk people in to a sh*t chant.

Somebody from SOS should have known far better, and if a couple of people's from SOS's heads don't roll for allowing this to continue, then I'm afraid we're going to struggle to be able to believe in their apology.

Before any Mancs who sing about Hillsborough fancy coming on here on their high horse don't bother.

Stick to buying your t-shirts.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #15: Jun 11, 2009 12:47:25 am
      Can't we get youtube to take it down? I'm all for showing these inconsiderate tw*ts up for what they are, but won't this sort of thing look bad on Liverpool fans on the whole?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Jun 11, 2009 01:07:11 am
      Can't we get youtube to take it down? I'm all for showing these inconsiderate tw*ts up for what they are, but won't this sort of thing look bad on Liverpool fans on the whole?

I think Spirit of Shankly have been applying to get it taken down from a number of video sites, but it's not going to go away.

And it may look bad, but it's a world of free speech.

Like I said, SOS should be more concerned with doing the right thing and booting off some people from the committee, than spending useless time trying to cover up this misdemeanour.

Just noticing the rules for SOS members as:

14. A member may be expelled for conduct prejudicial to the Union by a resolution carried by a majority of at least two-thirds of those members voting at a General Meeting of the Union of which due notice has been given, provided the grounds for expulsion have been specified in the notices calling the meeting and that the member whose expulsion is to be considered shall be given the opportunity to state his/her case to the meeting. If on due notice having being served the member fails to attend the meeting may proceed in the member’s absence.

Think they will be binning quite a lot of members then. Or maybe not.

Anyway, how about this fella to take the wrap?

Event Officer - Stephen Monaghan

* Organise and manage a series of events to raise the profile of the union and to raise funds for the union & other causes related to Liverpool FC supporters

Although to be fair. I guess he has raised the profile of the Union.  >:(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #17: Jun 11, 2009 02:21:44 am
      Can't blame the whole of the SOS for what happened in that vid though.

Not everyone present were members, some tickets were on sale on the doors for Liverpool fans who wanted to attend who weren't members.

As always there will be a few after a days drinking who end up singing naughty songs, still happens at boozers, coaches etc at away games. You know the mentality!

I personally, wouldn't slag the whole of the Union and what they tried to achieve over nobheads on a youtube vid.

Funny how it's taken virtually three weeks for someone to stick it up on you tube, for people to start complaining and from what I hear a shitload of e-mails from Evertonians to the Echo for them to finally do a piece about it.

As Liverpool fans we should be sticking together on this rather than getting all preachy and trying to pick holes.

It happened at an SOS event, for which they've apologised, can't that be accepted?
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2009 03:10:17 am by HUYTON RED »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18: Jun 11, 2009 04:55:27 am
      That is F***ing disgraceful and reflects poorly on all Liverpool fans.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #19: Jun 12, 2009 03:36:17 am
      Can't blame the whole of the SOS for what happened in that vid though.

Not everyone present were members, some tickets were on sale on the doors for Liverpool fans who wanted to attend who weren't members.

As always there will be a few after a days drinking who end up singing naughty songs, still happens at boozers, coaches etc at away games. You know the mentality!

I personally, wouldn't slag the whole of the Union and what they tried to achieve over nobheads on a youtube vid.

Funny how it's taken virtually three weeks for someone to stick it up on you tube, for people to start complaining and from what I hear a shitload of e-mails from Evertonians to the Echo for them to finally do a piece about it.

As Liverpool fans we should be sticking together on this rather than getting all preachy and trying to pick holes.

It happened at an SOS event, for which they've apologised, can't that be accepted?

To be honest with you mate I've never agreed with the whole SOS idea anyway for various reasons, so maybe I'm slightly more biased to "pick holes" in their actions.

I am well aware that not everybody involved with the SOS Union would have apprciated or sang/chanted along but from the short video, I didn't see too many people trying to stop it. I didn't see the person videoing it, stop their video. So although not every member of SOS was at fault for actually chanting, I can't say too many tried to put a stop to it. Maybe some did and it wasn't shown, I know somebody on another forum said they did but it's hard to prove without the evidence.

And personally no an apology isn't enough, because words mean nothing. Actions are what I'd rather see. I'd rather see those in the SOS remove any mindless idiot who was chanting along, maybe even remove those "in power" if you like from the SOS for allowing such actions. Just saying sorry doesn't cut it on this issue or any other issue in the world in my opinion. Anybody can sorry without meaning it, so I'd much prefer to see something seriously done about it than just the typical "sorry".

From what I've read on the other forum, SOS have stated they didn't even book the fella on stage. Well for somebody they didn't book, they seemed pretty happy to let him go on stage and chant along with the few in the crowd. That's why a "sorry" isn't enough.

After what this club and it's fans have gone through, the struggles, the fights, the sh*t from so many others, the Munich disaster is one thing which should bring the two football clubs of Liverpool and Manchester United closer. Incidents like this, just push us further apart and make the struggle that little bit more difficult for our own justice. A fan from another club looking at this will now just look at it and say "you don't care about the dead so maybe the stories in the papers of 89 were right. maybe you did steal and piss on the bodies." And with incidents such as this, at a place of a so called supporters group of our club, gives fans of other clubs that ammunition to hurt us with.

Sorry isn't good enough. Banishment from Anfield and any further events involving anything to do with Liverpool Football Club is the minimum these mindless idiots should get.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #20: Jun 12, 2009 02:42:09 pm
      If you support Liverpool Shankly's name should sacrosanct and not associated with anything to do with outrageous behaviour. I truly hate UTD but their is a line we shouldn't cross.
      How dare they take his name and behave like that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: Jun 12, 2009 02:48:09 pm
      To be honest with you mate I've never agreed with the whole SOS idea anyway for various reasons, so maybe I'm slightly more biased to "pick holes" in their actions.

I am well aware that not everybody involved with the SOS Union would have apprciated or sang/chanted along but from the short video, I didn't see too many people trying to stop it. I didn't see the person videoing it, stop their video. So although not every member of SOS was at fault for actually chanting, I can't say too many tried to put a stop to it. Maybe some did and it wasn't shown, I know somebody on another forum said they did but it's hard to prove without the evidence.

And personally no an apology isn't enough, because words mean nothing. Actions are what I'd rather see. I'd rather see those in the SOS remove any mindless idiot who was chanting along, maybe even remove those "in power" if you like from the SOS for allowing such actions. Just saying sorry doesn't cut it on this issue or any other issue in the world in my opinion. Anybody can sorry without meaning it, so I'd much prefer to see something seriously done about it than just the typical "sorry".

From what I've read on the other forum, SOS have stated they didn't even book the fella on stage. Well for somebody they didn't book, they seemed pretty happy to let him go on stage and chant along with the few in the crowd. That's why a "sorry" isn't enough.

After what this club and it's fans have gone through, the struggles, the fights, the sh*t from so many others, the Munich disaster is one thing which should bring the two football clubs of Liverpool and Manchester United closer. Incidents like this, just push us further apart and make the struggle that little bit more difficult for our own justice. A fan from another club looking at this will now just look at it and say "you don't care about the dead so maybe the stories in the papers of 89 were right. maybe you did steal and piss on the bodies." And with incidents such as this, at a place of a so called supporters group of our club, gives fans of other clubs that ammunition to hurt us with.

Sorry isn't good enough. Banishment from Anfield and any further events involving anything to do with Liverpool Football Club is the minimum these mindless idiots should get.

Get off your high horse DLS, would you go over and have a stern word, would ya, and what do you think the response would be. A mouthful of abuse, a slap (or worse), maybe thats why no one went over.

It's a small F***ing incident that has been blown far too out of proportion. We're were you with your anger on the day after (I heard about what happened on the monday) complaining about it (A couple of lads I know went) in their opinion it was something small that happened and was quickly forgotten. Christ, not all our fans are F***ing saints you know.

Being honest now, I don't want us and Man U to become any closer thanks, F**k them and their opinions. Gary f***in Neville and the other manc cu*ts
      ran up to their fans singing "Without killing anyone we won it three times" in Moscow, where was all this f***in anger then! Yeah exactly and what did Manchester United do? Threaten any newspapers with legal action who printed anything about the incident. Did any Man U fans bang on about how there players and fans are a disgrace. Do they ever condemn those fans who sing those songs or do the fingers pressed against their faces on websites such as Red Issue, Red Cafe or Repiublik of Mancunia, do they F**k.

The lad who videoed and stuck it up on you tube should know better, but for fucks sake, stop doing the jobs of the tabloid press for them eh!

Put it this way DLS, if you're so pissed off and angry why not e-mail the SOS group and ask them for answers or even go along to one of their meetings.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 12, 2009 03:31:04 pm
      Sadly the truth is that even if the whole of the S O S resigned the damage is already done and the name of all Liverpool supporters will be dragged through the dirt again

Quick Reply