Trending Topics

£80 Million for Gerrard, would you take it?

Read 33941 times
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Re: £80 Million for Gerrard, would you take it?
      Reply #184: Apr 06, 2010 04:59:14 am
      stevie gerrard is gonna be at his peak for about 3 more season then he will start slowing down but will still be incredible!! he will be another player like giggs, getting better with age!! lets just hope he does'nt stick to his word and retire at 33 cos that would be a shame!!

With 80M we can buy player better than a 36yo Giggs, and younger as well

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #185: Apr 06, 2010 05:04:46 am
      F**k off! That man has been a great servent for the club, and I love that player! Of course, if we NEEDED the money then we would have no choice as the board would do it.

What I'm saying is if it was Gerrard wanting to stay, then I'd say no. He still can offer something for a couple years yet if his heart is in it, and I also still try to believe in some honor being left in football. Simply, he wants to stay then I'd let him. Manure could have sold Giggs I'm sure, but they held on as I'm sure he wanted to stay.

Call me a f**king hypocrite? You're a heartless b***ard from the sounds, throwing away your grandma and all.

EDIT: Let me add, I and most others just stated what they thought, not even directed at you - and you have a rant calling us F***ing hypocrites and questioning our love for Liverpool. Just settle down will ya? We all love Liverpool FC.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2010 05:11:29 am by bigvYNWA »
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #186: Apr 06, 2010 05:19:23 am
      F**k off! That man has been a great servent for the club, and I love that player! Of course, if we NEEDED the money then we would have no choice as the board would do it.

What I'm saying is if it was Gerrard wanting to stay, then I'd say no. He still can offer something for a couple years yet if his heart is in it, and I also still try to believe in some honor being left in football. Simply, he wants to stay then I'd let him. Manure could have sold Giggs I'm sure, but they held on as I'm sure he wanted to stay.

Call me a f**king hypocrite? You're a heartless b***ard from the sounds, throwing away your grandma and all.

EDIT: Let me add, I and most others just stated what they thought, not even directed at you - and you have a rant calling us f**king hypocrites and questioning our love for Liverpool. Just settle down will ya? We all love Liverpool FC.

I wasn't implying to you actually... the hypocrite part, just so happens you're on the last page.

And yes, it's easy for us to say no in the internet forum. It is easy for a newbie like me to go with the flow and say "Hell No".

But to honor the OP starter, I'd give him an honest view that:

1. Gerrard although Marvelous as a player only means alot more for Liverpool FC, and no one else shares the same respect for him. He dives, he whines, and mind you he does not drag them to glory, he only drag Liverpool FC.

2. I can tell sentimentality plays a part in the answer, but the bigger picture is should the offer 80M comes up (Hyphotetical figure by the OP) we'd be dumb not to sell him. No player is bigger than the club, and that 80M can help Liverpool FC (not Gerrard FC) reinforce for years to come.

3. So what if other teams knows we have cash and raise the price, it's better to hold out because we have cash than to hold out because we can't afford it in the first place.

So... just like you, I love Gerrard and I love LFC. Sorry if I offended you, I really didn't mean to aim the hypocrite thingy at you, you know how it goes these days, sometimes you post and someone slip above you due to time lag.

I love LFC, but in forums I use my head to make arguments... not my heart. Because if we are to use hearts there's no need for argument since we'd be spelling the same words, LFC.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #187: Apr 06, 2010 05:20:33 am
      hmmm , well if any player has deserved to go out on their own terms it would be stevie g . I would love to see him be a one club player , to me the man eptomises liverpool . I know it is only a hypothetical question but if 80 mill was offered the board would buy him the plane ticket .
      it wont happen gerrard aint goin anywhere . even the greatest players go thru lean times .

form is temporary , class is permanent  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2010 05:29:23 am by ozgooner »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #188: Apr 06, 2010 11:00:46 am
      Never.
      He and JC are Liverpools DNA.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #189: Apr 06, 2010 11:19:01 am
      He'll be back to his best next season I'm sure so I'd only accept that £80m if he wanted out.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #190: Apr 06, 2010 11:22:37 am
      He's 30 years old. He's stated that he is considering retirement once his contract ends (he'll be 33). His form has dipped massively this season.

I would take it, but only if we knew that it was going to be fully ploughed back into the squad. All the top clubs, know when to sell a player, Arsenal with Henry and Viera, they haven't been the same since, the mancs with RVN, Beckham, Ronaldo (ok he's playing brilliant actually!) And Chelsea, with....Mutu? Ok I really struggled to think of a Chelsea player.

Anyway, would never happen, no club is mad enough to pay that amount for a 30 year old, no matter how talented.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #191: Apr 06, 2010 11:29:07 am
      On the evidence of this season, then yes but only if the 80 million was going to go into strengthening the squad and not to RBS.

When I say on the evidence of this season, I'm not pin pointing Gerrards form in anyway, but it's obvious we need deeper quality in the squad.
      80 million means

30 million Villa
      20 million Silva
      15 million Turan
      15 million Javier Martinez

4 quality players at the expense of one.

However no one is going to pay 80 million for Gerrard, we'd get around 30 if we were lucky.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #192: Apr 06, 2010 11:32:48 am
      every player has his prime time. yes i love stevie g and jc and they have been the soul of the club for 10 years, any true lfc supporter would say the same. but comes a time when all great players must step down to allow someone else to develop and take the club forward.

2 scenarios...

normally, 80mil for a 29 year old? hell yes, the investment it would bring is enormous.
      under h&g? hell no, it would go straight into their pockets or to pay off the ridicilous debt they have straddled the club with.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #193: Apr 06, 2010 11:33:51 am
      On the evidence of this season, then yes but only if the 80 million was going to go into strengthening the squad and not to RBS.

When I say on the evidence of this season, I'm not pin pointing Gerrards form in anyway, but it's obvious we need deeper quality in the squad.
      80 million means

30 million Villa
      20 million Silva
      15 million Turan

However no one is going to pay 80 million for Gerrard, we'd get around 30 if we were lucky.

Exactly that.

Gerrard has been a fantastic servant to the club, and I don't want to see him leave. However, £80M is a colossal amount of money, we'd be daft not to sell a player with at the very most 5 years left for that kind of money.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #194: Apr 06, 2010 11:39:47 am

80 million means

30 million Villa
      20 million Silva
      15 million Turan

Whatever we hypothetically get for any player Daz is diluted by H&G for their debt fund as you said earlier so we're on a hiding to nothing with that one.
      Come to think of it we're getting fu**ed all ends up here the only way is get rid of the owners and the only way it seems we will achieve that is by playing dead and all that entails.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #195: Apr 06, 2010 11:51:51 am
      I wasn't implying to you actually... the hypocrite part, just so happens you're on the last page.

And yes, it's easy for us to say no in the internet forum. It is easy for a newbie like me to go with the flow and say "Hell No".

But to honor the OP starter, I'd give him an honest view that:

1. Gerrard although Marvelous as a player only means alot more for Liverpool FC, and no one else shares the same respect for him. He dives, he whines, and mind you he does not drag them to glory, he only drag Liverpool FC.

2. I can tell sentimentality plays a part in the answer, but the bigger picture is should the offer 80M comes up (Hyphotetical figure by the OP) we'd be dumb not to sell him. No player is bigger than the club, and that 80M can help Liverpool FC (not Gerrard FC) reinforce for years to come.

3. So what if other teams knows we have cash and raise the price, it's better to hold out because we have cash than to hold out because we can't afford it in the first place.

So... just like you, I love Gerrard and I love LFC. Sorry if I offended you, I really didn't mean to aim the hypocrite thingy at you, you know how it goes these days, sometimes you post and someone slip above you due to time lag.

I love LFC, but in forums I use my head to make arguments... not my heart. Because if we are to use hearts there's no need for argument since we'd be spelling the same words, LFC.
      Agreed, great post
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #196: Apr 06, 2010 11:55:09 am
      How can it be a great post when it is factually flawed?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #197: Apr 06, 2010 12:02:58 pm

Obviously.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #198: Apr 06, 2010 12:15:32 pm
      How can it be a great post when it is factually flawed?
      How is it flawed?
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #199: Apr 06, 2010 12:20:38 pm
      If you look at what he has done this season we would never get 80 mill, maybe 40 or 50 at tops, but the way SG has looked lately, it wouldn't surprise me if he went at the end of this season, he may see a better pay day elsewhere and think he has 3 good years top, why not go to where he has a chance of a trophy, although if we end up getting investment this season(I'm optimistic someone will buy out H&G)then we shall have a real chance of a trophy or two ourselves.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #200: Apr 06, 2010 12:56:00 pm

Steven Gerrard does not dive, he may exaggerate the effects of a fall to ensure the correct decision is awarded and when does he "whine" he may complain occasionally about the bully boy tactics used by some of the more physical sides but other teams particularly manuRe and chelski have got whining down to a fine art and do it collectively.
      Gerrard will voice his views on the treatment other players are subject to particularly Torres who is clattered consistently.
      Your assertion about Gerrard dragging LFC is something of a mystery and I cannot comment on it.

fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #201: Apr 06, 2010 01:08:15 pm
      you'd have to consider an offer that big for him definately.

we've been lucky enough that the worlds best midfielder of his generation came through our youth ranks. If we were to cash in on him, now would be the time to do so - after the summers world cup (providing gerrard has a good one). He is pushing 30 and will only have 2 or 3 seasons left in him where hes at his very very best. To get a massive sum for him, we would have to sell now.

80m is abit unrealistic though LFC-red and i think the best we could hope for is 50.

Although stevie is a gem and cannot be replaced, you have to remember he wont be playing that much longer. If we had 50m to invest into the side to buy two world class players who are aged early 20's - mind 20's then i'd certainly consider it.

Its a win-win situation for me because if he stays then we still have the best midfielder in the world for another few seasons, if he goes then we will get a massive sum for him and hopefully sign a few new faces to improve the team despite the loss of stevie. I just hope we don't sell him in 2 seasons or so for a sum of 10m when we could have done the same thing now and got an extra 40m for him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #202: Apr 06, 2010 01:18:16 pm
      Fazza it's irrelevant how much he is worth and how much someone would pay, the club would only see a fraction of any fee the majority would disappear in the H&G rescue fund.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #203: Apr 06, 2010 01:29:54 pm

Hehe! Are you sure?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #204: Apr 06, 2010 02:25:42 pm
      Having seen the diving divas at manUre and chelski our man isn't in the same class.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #205: Apr 06, 2010 03:54:07 pm
      One bad season and we should sell him??

I dont even need to list the reasons against this arguement- because deep down we all know!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #206: Apr 06, 2010 03:55:10 pm
      I'd take it. Give them Spearing and hope they didn't notice til the money was in the bank

Quick Reply