Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Moto GP

Read 6258 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Moto GP
      Jun 14, 2009 02:04:28 pm
      Thought i'd start this for the bike fans on here if there are any other than me  ;D

Just witnessed the best race in a long long time at Catalunya, Valentino Rossi is just the MAN.

Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner all tied on 106 points at the top of the table, bring on Assen in 2 weeks!!
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Re: Moto GP
      Reply #1: Jun 14, 2009 02:11:29 pm
      I just watched it too.

My 8 year old loves Rossi and I ride a Yam so we always cheer him on (as well as JT of course).

Bradley Smith is there or thereabouts in 125s.  The title seems to be between him and his team mate Simon.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2009 04:51:18 pm
      Great win for Valentino again at Sachsenring.

Lorenzo must be so de-moralised at the moment.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3: Aug 16, 2009 02:25:31 pm
      Rossi wins again in Brno, Czech Republic.

The man is just awesome, 50 point lead in the championship too.
      antrez
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 24, 2009 10:36:16 am
      Lorenzo is thinking about his team next year. He has a doubt between Yamaha and Ducati. I hope he beat Rossi next season
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      MotoGP
      Reply #5: Feb 10, 2010 02:23:09 pm
      Rossi stays on top on second test day

By Matt Beer Friday, February 5th 2010, 11:15 GMT

Valentino Rossi remained on top on the final day of MotoGP's first pre-season test at Sepang.

The first half of the session was interrupted by rain, with conditions not completely dry until lunchtime. But once the track was up to speed, Rossi lapped in 2m00.925s for Yamaha, beating nearest rival Casey Stoner (Ducati) by 0.4 seconds.

"We worked on the new bike to find a better setting and I was happy to be the fastest overall - even though this is just testing this is important for me," Rossi said.

"At the next test we will have a few more new things but we're already happy because we're fast and strong.

"There is room to improve of course; Sepang is always a good track for the Yamaha so we will have to wait until Qatar to get a better understanding of our level, but we have made a great start."

After a low-key Thursday, Rossi's team-mate Jorge Lorenzo moved up to third today.

"I felt much better today and I was able to be fast straight away," said Lorenzo.

"It wasn't a big problem yesterday, it's just that after such a long break I forget how to ride a little bit! I need a bit of time, but it was much better today."

Yamaha filled four of the top seven places, with Tech 3 riders Ben Spies and Colin Edwards taking fifth and seventh. Factory Honda duo Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso were fourth and sixth.

Nicky Hayden took eighth on the second works Ducati, while Aleix Espargaro was an impressive ninth for the satellite Pramac team.

Following a strong performance yesterday, Loris Capirossi (Suzuki) slipped back to 10th today.

The day's only accident was a high-side for Gresini Honda's rookie Marco Simoncelli halfway through the session. The Italian was unhurt and continued running later in the afternoon.

The MotoGP field returns to Sepang in two weeks' time for the second test of this year's reduced pre-season schedule.

Pos  Rider             Bike               Time       Gap
       1.  Valentino Rossi   Yamaha             2m00.925s
       2.  Casey Stoner      Ducati             2m01.320s  + 0.395s
       3.  Jorge Lorenzo     Yamaha             2m01.680s  + 0.755s
       4.  Dani Pedrosa      Honda              2m01.822s  + 0.897s
       5.  Ben Spies         Yamaha             2m02.266s  + 1.341s
       6.  Andrea Dovizioso  Honda              2m02.272s  + 1.347s
       7.  Colin Edwards     Yamaha             2m02.479s  + 1.554s
       8.  Nicky Hayden      Ducati             2m02.493s  + 1.568s
       9.  Aleix Espargaro   Pramac Ducati      2m02.647s  + 1.722s
      10.  Loris Capirossi   Suzuki             2m02.763s  + 1.838s
      11.  Marco Melandri    Gresini Honda      2m02.810s  + 1.885s
      12.  Hector Barbera    Aspar Ducati       2m03.032s  + 2.107s
      13.  Randy de Puniet   LCR Honda          2m03.043s  + 2.118s
      14.  Hiroshi Aoyama    Interwetten Honda  2m03.195s  + 2.270s
      15.  Marco Simoncelli  Gresini Honda      2m03.245s  + 2.320s
      16.  Alvaro Bautista   Suzuki             2m03.274s  + 2.349s
      17.  Mika Kallio       Pramac Ducati      2m03.359s  + 2.434s
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: Feb 10, 2010 11:17:07 pm
      Get your money on Rossi again this year for the title.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 11, 2010 09:30:58 am
      Hope he gives Lorenzo a pasting and then f**ks off to Ducati and beats Stoner on his own machine.
      NICE!
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #8: Feb 12, 2010 05:36:50 pm
      Hope he gives Lorenzo a pasting and then f**ks off to Ducati and beats Stoner on his own machine.
      NICE!

Personally i think the Yamaha is a much better bike now, especially with the monster engine that they have in it these days.

The Ducati is just all power and no handling, i give Stoner a lot of credit for riding that thing as well as he does because it's so powerful it's almost unrideable.

I think Rossi will be at Yamaha for life now.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2010 09:02:39 am
      Personally I think the Yamaha is a much better bike now, especially with the monster engine that they have in it these days.

The Ducati is just all power and no handling, I give Stoner a lot of credit for riding that thing as well as he does because it's so powerful it's almost unrideable.

I think Rossi will be at Yamaha for life now.

It was until they had to run multiple race engines. Think Ducati and Honda had the power edge at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see who has it right this year. Agree about Stoner it must be like a bucking bronco every race
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Mar 02, 2010 01:23:05 pm
      Hayden hails 'big leap forward'

By Matt Beer   Friday, February 26th 2010, 14:20 GMT

Nicky Hayden was delighted with the set-up breakthrough that allowed him to set the third fastest time in MotoGP testing at Sepang today.

The American has been unable to match his team-mate Casey Stoner so far in his Ducati career, but today the duo took second and third - with Hayden only 0.191 seconds slower than Stoner despite not being at full fitness following recent arm surgery.

Hayden put the improvement down to some adjustments made on Thursday.

"I am obviously really happy because the changes we made yesterday afternoon that enabled me to go a couple of tenths faster despite the heat have proved to work even better today with the track in improved condition," he said.

"After making small steps for the last few test sessions today we have finally taken a big leap forward and I was able to ride fast."

He said is arm had not been too much of a factor, but was not yet in peak condition.

"The arm wasn't too bad but it still isn't as strong as before, which I can feel more than anything in the hard braking, and it was hard work today," Hayden said. "Anyway, I am recovering well and now we move on from Sepang feeling really happy."

Although Yamaha's Valentino Rossi has been fastest in every test so far, Stoner feels Ducati is also in great shape, having been close behind Rossi at Sepang this week.

"We are really satisfied with the package we have now and the progress we have made so far," said Stoner.

"If you ask me I'd say we are starting off from a stronger base than last year so now we'll just have to wait and see if we can get straight on the pace in Qatar."/news]
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Mar 04, 2010 04:29:42 pm
      Valentino Rossi remained unstoppable at the end of the second pre-season MotoGP test at Sepang, beating his 2009 pole time at the Malaysian Grand Prix venue.

The world champion has now been fastest on all four winter test days to date - all of which have taken place at Sepang - and his 2m00.271s lap today was 0.8s quicker than he had managed yesterday.

With Rossi's team-mate Jorge Lorenzo sidelined by a hand injury at present, Casey Stoner was unsurprisingly his main rival. The Ducati rider was only 0.3s off Rossi's pace, while Stoner's team-mate Nicky Hayden took a hugely encouraging third.

The American struggled to match Stoner last year and was hampered by pain from recent arm surgery on Thursday, but today he was only 0.191s behind his team-mate and clearly revelling in Ducati's latest swingarm and engine developments.

Tech 3 Yamaha's strong test form continued with fourth and fifth places for Colin Edwards and top rookie Ben Spies, while the factory Hondas of Andrea Dovizioso and Dani Pedrosa were back in seventh and eighth, behind Suzuki's Loris Capirossi.

250cc champion Hiroshi Aoyama showed his best form yet for the new Interwetten Honda team to take ninth, just ahead of fellow rookie Alvaro Bautista - the Suzuki rider in some discomfort having hurt his arm in a crash yesterday.

But it was a bad day for another 250cc graduate, as Marco Simoncelli (Gresini Honda) had a heavy fall on his third lap. He was taken to hospital as a precaution but returned to the track later in the day, although he was unable to resume running.

The final MotoGP test of the winter will take place at Losail in Qatar on 17-19 March, with the season opener at the same venue on 12 April.

Pos  Rider             Team               Time       Gap       Laps
       1.  Valentino Rossi   Yamaha             2m00.271s            39
       2.  Casey Stoner      Ducati             2m00.512s  + 0.241s  33
       3.  Nicky Hayden      Ducati             2m00.703s  + 0.432s  42
       4.  Colin Edwards     Tech 3 Yamaha      2m00.988s  + 0.717s  35
       5.  Ben Spies         Tech 3 Yamaha      2m01.014s  + 0.743s  44
       6.  Loris Capirossi   Suzuki             2m01.320s  + 1.049s  50
       7.  Andrea Dovizioso  Honda              2m01.439s  + 1.168s  46
       8.  Dani Pedrosa      Honda              2m01.478s  + 1.207s  57
       9.  Hiroshi Aoyama    Interwetten Honda  2m01.692s  + 1.421s  50
      10.  Alvaro Bautista   Suzuki             2m01.732s  + 1.461s  25
      11.  Randy De Puniet   LCR Honda          2m01.980s  + 1.709s  58
      12.  Marco Melandri    Gresini Honda      2m02.078s  + 1.807s  60
      13.  Hector Barbera    Aspar Ducati       2m02.080s  + 1.809s  52
      14.  Mika Kallio       Pramac Ducati      2m02.082s  + 1.811s  66
      15.  Aleix Espargaro   Pramac Ducati      2m02.367s  + 2.096s  49
      16.  Marco Simoncelli  Gresini Honda      2m03.689s  + 3.418s  2
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Apr 09, 2010 05:34:14 pm
      Rossi positive over Yamaha form 
      By Toby Moody and Pablo Elizalde Friday, April 9th 2010, 09:36 GMT

Valentino Rossi says he is positive of a strong start to the season after an encouraging winter of testing for Yamaha.

The nine-time world champion kicks off his title defence in Qatar this weekend, and is confident his team has done its homework during the winter and that his bike will be competitive from the start.

Rossi had a difficult time at Losail last year and was unable to match the pace of Ducati rival Casey Stoner.

But the Italian is optimistic he will be stronger this weekend.

"We worked well, and I was quite fast here and also in Sepang, so it looks like the new bike is already quite good, but starting from today it's another story," Rossi told a news conference in Qatar. "The races are different but I think we are ready.

"We have improved our bike and we tried to work on the engine for the new rules. The feeling is positive. We tried to modify something in the way the chassis works for better grip and the bike worked very well in Sepang and Qatar.

"So this is positive, because especially here in Qatar last year we had some problems and I think this time it's possible to do a bit better."

Rossi said it is risky to move the race start time to 11pm, although he is hopeful the weather will be better than last year, when the race had to be postponed until Monday due to a deluge.

Last year the race started at 9pm local time.

"Last year it was a different story because it rained on Sunday and we raced on Monday but we raced at nine o'clock, so it was two hours earlier. So waiting until 11 I think is a little bit risky. Although maybe now the weather condition will be better."

And the Italian, whose contract with Yamaha runs out this year, said he is in no hurry to decide on his future.

"I don't know. In 2008 I signed around June so I hope more or less the same this year. We have time to decide."

stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #13: Sep 05, 2010 10:16:15 pm
      R.I.P. Shoya Tomizawa.
      It really is so sad when a man dies doing the sport that he loves.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Sep 05, 2010 10:30:44 pm
      Two racers killed within a week of each other on the Moto GP. Devastating. My thoughts with their families and Scott Redding. Horror accident
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Sep 07, 2010 02:02:15 pm
      Tributes flow for Tomizawa

Monday, September 6th 2010, 15:08 GMT

The MotoGP fraternity has been paying tribute to Shoya Tomizawa, who lost his life following an accident in the Moto2 race at Misano on Sunday.

The 19-year-old Japanese rider suffered severe head, chest and abdominal injuries when he fell while running fourth and slid into the path of Alex de Angelis and Scott Redding, who had no time to take avoiding action and struck Tomizawa at high speed. He was pronounced dead in a local hospital two hours later.

Tomizawa was in his second year at world championship level, and had established himself as one of the most promising talents in the inaugural Moto2 championship.

He had only been 17th in the 250cc series last year - his first ever season outside the Japanese scene - but stunned the paddock by winning the first ever Moto2 race in Qatar for the Technomag-CIP team. Although he was not able to stay at the forefront of the title fight, he continued to prove his speed by taking pole at Jerez and Brno, and

Here are some of the tributes paid by leading figures from the world championship.

Dani Pedrosa (Honda MotoGP rider and San Marino GP winner)

"There are no words to say how it feels after this victory - it feels like nothing. I arrived at parc ferme very happy with the win and I immediately felt that the atmosphere among my mechanics was really strange, everybody was serious. Still with my helmet on they told me about Tomizawa and I couldn't react. It was a big shock, a big contrast for me. I asked three times if it was true because I couldn't believe it. It's so sad, terrible, and these things should never happen.

"As a person I can only say that he was a very funny boy, always happy and making jokes, and as a rider he earned respect from everybody in a very short time, he was fast and brave. To lose two riders in a week is terrible. I believe everybody in the world championship is feeling the same now and I want to send my condolences to the family. When you are born, life gives you the chance to choose what you want to do. Tomi chose to be a rider and in fact he was doing great. I just want to think that he's been happy making his dream come true."

Toni Elias (Moto2 championship leader and Misano race winner)

"All I feel is sadness right now and my victory today is irrelevant. I was talking and joking with Tomizawa only yesterday in the Clinica Mobile and to think that he is no longer with us is truly awful. Even today we were out there racing together when he was in front of me before this incredible tragedy. He has left an indelible mark on my life."

Marco Simoncelli (MotoGP rider and former 250cc rival)

"There is not much to say - it's been a tough day and the race is insignificant. Two tragedies in a week is too much. Last Sunday a boy of just 13 and today Tomizawa, who was only 19. Unfortunately this is the risk of racing motorcycles but when something like this happens it is simply terrible and I feel so sorry."

Fausto Gresini (Gresini Racing team boss)

"Today is a very sad and very tough day, when racing doesn't feel like it should. I know just how hard it is to lose a rider in these circumstances and I know the pain that his family and all the guys on the team who worked with him are feeling right now. There is little more to say. This is an extremely sad day. We knew immediately that the incident was serious but you always hope at times like this that there will be a miracle and the rider will get to his feet. Unfortunately that wasn't the case today."

Andrea Dovizioso (Honda MotoGP rider)

"My thoughts are with Shoya Tomizawa. I was informed after the race and the news is like a slap in the face. Two tragic accidents in two races is so terrible and it reminds us how dangerous is our job. The safety commission has improved safety levels so much that we often forget this aspect.

"I'm so sorry for Tomizawa's family. Having become a father I can understand that this is the worst thing that can happen for a family. Unfortunately we couldn't do anything: these were two casualties, two accidents with a similar dynamic where the track-side barriers were not touched. This can happen and this is why our job is so risky."

Herve Poncharal (Tech 3 team boss)

"On behalf of everyone at Tech 3 Yamaha, I'd like to send our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Shoya Tomizawa. He was a great talent and a really good guy who will be missed by all of us in the racing community."

Casey Stoner (Ducati MotoGP rider)

"I am deeply saddened for Tomizawa, his family and everybody who worked with him. It is something truly terrible and it left me breathless, like a week ago. It was a pleasure to watch him ride and I was looking forward to see him have a great career."

Nicky Hayden (Ducati MotoGP rider)

"I am really sad, we have lost two riders in two weekends. My thoughts are with his family and his team but I think the whole paddock has been hit hard by this tragedy. At the end of the day we are all brothers here. We have lost a talented kid with a great personality. I loved his style, his determination and the smile he always wore."

Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki MotoGP rider and former 250cc rival)

"When we had finished the race I heard the news about Tomizawa and I am just so sorry for him and all his family. It is a hard day for all riders, I am sure he will stay with us always and I hope he is now in a better place."

Jorge Lorenzo (MotoGP championship leader)

"It's a huge pity because he was a good guy and a strong rider. I am so sad and I just want to say how sorry I am for his family and his friends. When this happens nothing else matters."

Wilco Zeelenberg (Lorenzo's team manager at Yamaha)

"We would like to say how sorry we are about Tomizawa, he was clearly a huge talent who was destined to be here in MotoGP one day."

Valentino Rossi (MotoGP world champion)

"When something so sad like this happens everything else goes to zero and the result doesn't matter. I'm so sorry for Shoya because he was a strong rider but above all he was very 'sympatico.' He was very funny, always smiling and he always had nice things to say to everyone. He was also very young with a great career ahead of him so we are all very sad."

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #16: Sep 07, 2010 02:11:05 pm
      Just read the article in yesterdays Daily Express, very sad, R.I.P. Shoya Tomizawa and Scott Redding.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Sep 07, 2010 03:02:02 pm
      Just read the article in yesterdays Daily Express, very sad, R.I.P. Shoya Tomizawa and Scott Redding.

Redding escapes serious injury

By Matt Beer   Sunday, September 5th 2010, 15:31 GMT

Scott Redding escaped serious injury in the Moto2 crash that claimed that life of Shoya Tomizawa, and has been released from the medical centre with 10 stitches to a laceration in his back.

The British rider and Alex de Angelis both hit Tomizawa when he fell in front of them as they battled in the top six during the Misano Moto2 race this morning. Tomizawa was pronounced dead in hospital two hours later, having suffered severe chest, head and abdominal injuries.

Both de Angelis and Redding were sent flying through the air in the accident, and while de Angelis was able to walk away, Redding was taken from the scene by stretcher and required treatment to the cut to his back.

"Scott's crash was a big one, so we are thankful that the only injury he sustained was a minor laceration on his back," said Michael Bartholemy, head of the Marc VDS team that runs Redding's Moto2 programme.

"We were deeply saddened by the news that Shoya Tomizawa succumbed to the injuries sustained in a crash during today's Moto2 race. He was a respected rival and will be sorely missed in the paddock. Like everyone in the Marc VDS Racing team, my thoughts are with his family and friends at this time."

Just to clarify Frizz.

Redding is not dead. He was one of the two riders who hit Shoya.
      A Red Bull rider was killed last week in Indy

Teen Rider Dies After Crash At Speedway

Peter Lenz Crashes During Warmup

POSTED: 1:02 pm EDT August 29, 2010
      UPDATED: 6:45 am EDT August 30, 2010

SPEEDWAY, Ind. -- A 13-year-old motorcycle rider died after a crash at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday.
      Peter Lenz crashed during the warmup lap of a 250cc race ahead of the Red Bull Indianapolis GP and appeared to be run over by Xavier Zayat of Flushing , N.Y.
      After the crash, medical workers placed Lenz in a neck brace, put him on a stretcher and appeared to be doing chest compressions.

He was transported to Methodist Hospital with "traumatic injuries," IMS Medical Director Dr. Geoffrey Billows said in a statement. He was later pronounced dead.
      The 4-foot-11-inch-tall rider from Vancouver, Wash., began racing when he was 5 years old, according to his website biography. He returned to racing this year after being sidelined by crash injuries when he was 11.
      "On behalf of the Lenz family, we would like to thank Peter’s friends and supporters for all their help throughout the years," read a statement from the family. "We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss, but know that Peter is racing even faster in the sky. Our thoughts and prayers are now with the other racer and his family, who were also involved in this tragedy."
      Lenz fell off his bike in the fourth turn of a warm-up lap. He drove in a series for 12- to 18-year-old competitors.
      U.S. Grand Prix Racing Union Stewart Aitken-Kade said competitors of that age are prepared for competition on a track like IMS.
      "I believe absolutely, they are. We've been doing this for nine years. We've never had an incident like this," he said. "We've been racing at almost every single track in the country … and these kids have proven time and time again that their skills, their training, their background … have proven that these guys are more than ready for a track like this."
      There were more than 300 comments from fans on Lenz's Facebook page on Sunday.
      It's the first death at the track since 2003, when IndyCar driver Tony Renna was killed in practice. Lenz is the youngest driver to die at IMS
      The crash briefly delayed the start of the 250cc race. The 125cc race, scheduled for noon, started on time.

There are mistakes in the article.
      The Red Bull bikes are 125s not 250s
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010 03:11:42 pm by racerx34 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2011 12:38:05 pm

Quick Reply