Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

"Scouser"

Read 12252 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      "Scouser"
      Jun 16, 2009 09:28:17 pm
      Is scouser seen by locals as a derogatory phrase or is it the preferred term? Do locals prefer being called Liverpudlians or scousers?

Sorry if it seems a strange question I'm just curious. I myself would refer to someone from Liverpool as a scouser but never thought that maybe the people dislike that phrase?
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Re: "Scouser"
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2009 10:15:59 pm
      I am fine with the phrase and don't find it in any shape or form as a bad thing.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2009 10:32:58 pm
      Makes no odds Brian the term scouser goes wayback and I don't know anyone that takes offence at the term.I don't know if you are aware of its origin but its connected with the version of Irish stew that is cooked round here you probably know its called scouse and I believe it comes from a Scandinavian term for a meat dish,not too sure about the exact details of all that but its basically right.The origins of the term are completely innoffensive so anyone who is under the impression that they are insulting anyone is deluded and I'm sure there are some nobs who think they are being really abusive.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2009 10:37:14 pm
      Makes no odds Brian the term scouser goes wayback and I don't know anyone that takes offence at the term.I don't know if you are aware of its origin but its connected with the version of Irish stew that is cooked round here you probably know its called scouse and I believe it comes from a Scandinavian term for a meat dish,not too sure about the exact details of all that but its basically right.The origins of the term are completely innoffensive so anyone who is under the impression that they are insulting anyone is deluded.

Correct

The word Scouse was originally a variation of "lobscouse"[2], the name of a traditional dish of Scouse made with lamb stew mixed with hardtack eaten by sailors. Alternative recipes have included beef and thickened with the gelatin sauce found in cowheel or pig trotter in addition to various root vegetables. Various spellings can still be traced, including "lobscows" from Wales, and some families refer to this stew as "lobby" rather than scouse, as in the Potteries (Stoke-on-Trent), where a 'bowl of lobby' is a welcome meal on a cold winter's night. In Leigh, between Liverpool and Manchester, there is even a "Lobby shop". The dish was traditionally the fare of the poor people, using the cheapest cuts of meat available, and indeed when no meat at all was available scouse was still made, but this "vegetarian" version was known as "blind scouse".[citation needed] The term remained a purely local word until its popularisation in the sitcom Till Death Us Do Part, which some also believe to have introduced stereotypes about Liverpudlians. It is also thought that there may once have been a giant man that came from the area called "Jon Scouse".[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2009 10:37:22 pm
      Born to be a scouse victorious are we

;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2009 10:46:06 pm
      Born and bred a Scouse and very proud of it to. :gt-happyup:
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2009 11:30:58 pm
      Scouser to me is a term of endearment.When we moved to St. Helens in my childhood, Liverpool was always "our city" , never Manchester.Lobbies was always on the menu twice a week, Monday with the left over beef/lamb from Sunday, the Wednesday(day before Dad's payday) as blind scouse, and you know what friends I'm proud of those days.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2009 11:35:25 pm
      Only people from the Cheshire end of Wirral dont like being called it because their snobs.
      Until somebody mentions they love liverpool, thats when their accents change...he he

Forced scouse from birth to now,
      what can you do, i was born with an advantage.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2009 11:35:43 pm
      I think every true Scouser is happy to be called Scouser, there are those who don't like to be reminded of where they come from though and just enjoy putting the city down at every given chance. But by and large I think the term "Scouser" is accepted by a large proportion of Scousers.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: Jun 16, 2009 11:48:58 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Jun 17, 2009 01:36:16 pm
      Is scouser seen by locals as a derogatory phrase or is it the preferred term? Do locals prefer being called Liverpudlians or scousers?

We sing the word 'scouse' or 'scouser' in so many of our songs at Anfield that I would say it was fairly obvious that it is fine.

I'd imagine many Evertonians may have a problem being called 'Liverpudlians' as that term has generally taken on the football divide.  I would imagine 'posh' scousers would prefer the term 'Liverpudlian' but I'm perfectly happy with both.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #11: Jun 17, 2009 01:47:22 pm
      only thing that arse's me is when abroad, people have no idea what 'scally' means and tend to think it's just another phrase for scouser, or Liverpudlian, and hence call you it until you explain what a scally is
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: Jun 17, 2009 05:31:30 pm
      Born in Walton and I prefer Liverpudlian as the term Scouser was used very negatively in the 80's .I think it might also be an age thing and being born in the late 50's I dont think the term was much used when I was at school etc. It really dosent bother me one way or the other.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #13: Jun 17, 2009 06:08:59 pm
      only thing that arse's me is when abroad, people have no idea what 'scally' means and tend to think it's just another phrase for scouser, or Liverpudlian, and hence call you it until you explain what a scally is

Yeah but by calling every thug a scally these days you're offending scallies from yesteryear, when the term was used to describe not thugs, but lads who liked a laugh, probably robbed a few trackies and trainers from abroad but weren't like the dickheads that hang around on street corners now.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Jun 17, 2009 07:18:13 pm
      Yeah but by calling every thug a scally these days you're offending scallies from yesteryear, when the term was used to describe not thugs, but lads who liked a laugh, probably robbed a few trackies and trainers from abroad but weren't like the dickheads that hang around on street corners now.

Spot on. The 'scallies' of today are literally just gobshites. Not on the whole mind. ::) The minority.

Yep, Scouser's fine. ;)
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #15: Jun 17, 2009 07:58:58 pm
      I spent 12 years through the 80's and early 90's away from Liverpool and the term Scouser was used in a defamatory way. I spent a lot of time educating people that not everyone in Liverpool was a dolite and scrounger and no more so than any other big city.People from this city earned money producing TV shows showing Scouser's to be anything but honest and that image of Liverpool Stuck with us and is still here today to a lesser extent.
      If anybody has read a History of Liverpool they will know it is a City with an unbelievable History going back over 800 years to have that History paradied and portrayed into some f**ker in a shell suit is just wrong.
      We are now being seen for what we are a major world City with a long successfully History and an even better future.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2009 12:10:27 pm
      If anybody has read a History of Liverpool they will know it is a City with an unbelievable History going back over 800 years to have that History paradied and portrayed into some f**ker in a shell suit is just wrong.
      We are now being seen for what we are a major world City with a long successfully History and an even better future.

Thats what the problem was mate, Jealousy, hence during the Thatcher years the entire north west was sh*t on so the south, whose only major city was london... and still is, could be popularised by the worlds media, Liverpool was demonised because our Rich history and our football was despised by both those in power, and those with a voice on a massive media platform
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2009 02:36:20 pm
      Thats what the problem was mate, Jealousy, hence during the Thatcher years the entire north west was sh*t on so the south, whose only major city was london... and still is, could be popularised by the worlds media, Liverpool was demonised because our Rich history and our football was despised by both those in power, and those with a voice on a massive media platform
      It was I think more of a case of finding a scapegoat and in the case of the evil witch Thatcher find a vehicle to implement her outrageous policies,the people of Liverpool were on their knees with the anti union legislation being used at that time with the dockers dispute and previously to commit industrial genocide with the Standard Triumph debacle,and lets not forget the miners strike.
                                                              Even now at any given opportunity they will try the scapegoat routine and use those tired old cliches and I'm ashamed to say the culprits are not the Tory parasites but some sections of "new labour" who seem to think somebody is taking them seriously when in fact all they are is an embarrassment.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2009 09:54:35 pm
      Liverpool should become a free state. The scousers republic of Liverpool  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #19: Jun 19, 2009 10:28:01 am
      Its already here Brian we just don't tell anyone.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #20: Jun 22, 2009 12:25:53 pm
      Great article in the mirror today

an experiment to see how quickly thieves would steel an unlocked bike exploded a popular myth.
      researchers put a bike in 10 cities and swa how long it took to be stolen.

the bike that lasted the longest - almost 4 hours was in Mathew street, liverpool.
      Scousers have often been the butt of jokes but in fact thieves in london acted fastedst in just 17 minutes.
      next was Glasgow and birmingham 1 hr 30 mins. Two hours and 3  in Bristonl, norwich, newcastle, manchester cardiff and portsmouth.

Just shows you ...steriotypes are flawed, and we really are the most honest.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #21: Jun 22, 2009 01:17:09 pm
      Different word same question.

Is the word 'Pom' considered offensive by anyone.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #22: Jun 22, 2009 01:37:22 pm
      I personally don't give a sh*t but the word is used in Oz as a derogerative term for the English immigrants,those sheep shaggers are having a laugh.

Quick Reply