Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Why Aren't We All Allowed To Say The Same Things?

Read 1889 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Why Aren't We All Allowed To Say The Same Things?
      Jun 17, 2009 11:48:20 pm
      Firstly before I get to the actual point of this thread, I'd like to apologise in advance if any of the words I use offend some of you.

Right, the point I'd like to make is why is it that certain words in this world are frowned upon when a certain type of person says it but another type of person can get away with it? For example if I walked up to a fella who happened to be gay and called him a puff/queer/bender or any other derogatory word I'd be slaughtered but they can call themselves anything they like and it's OK because they are homosexual. The same goes with race, if a white bloke calls an Asian a Chink/Paki then they'll be almost be certainly classed as racist, but when somebody of that race says the same words, it's all fine? The same goes when a white person says the word nigger but almost every rap song or gangster type film will use that word without anybody blinking an eye. There's also sexist words such as "bi*ch" because when a man says it, he's being sexist but a girl can quite easily refer to her mates as her "bitches" and nobody takes a blind bit of notice.

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that these words are ones that should be used in any context. They aren't words I use, they aren't words that should be used by anybody but it seems like it's OK when it's said by a select few. Just because of your sexuality or race doesn't give you the right to say homophobic or racist words. That's the biggest problem with the whole political correct idea, the fact is this world isn't politically correct and it never will be. We're living in a society where certain people are restricted in what they're allowed to say when other people can say the same words without any repructions.

As I've said, I'm not advocating the use of these words or saying I would want to say them, but what I am saying is if a gay lad can call himself a fairy or a lesbian lass calls herself a dyke without anybody taking offence why can't a straight person? If the straight person is going to be frowned upon and classed as this that or the other, then surely the homosexual person should be as well.

There's no equality where these sort of issues are concerned.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Why Aren't We All Allowed To Say The Same Things?
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2009 12:42:42 am
      Quality post Billy.  It's a question that I've been asking for years.

I've got nothing to add to that really, just sums up exactly what I would of said.  Today I believe we live in a world with a mixed bag, not mixed with race -  mixed with opinions.

You'll have people that will stop you out and pull you on things that you may say, and they will try and 'correct' you.  It's a society that won't change for a very long time, it made me realise not to give a one if anyone's got any reservations with the way I may phrase things, or say things.

I'm of a mixed race background, with me Grandad coming over to Liverpool from Nigeria in the late 40's after the war.  And with my other side being all British.  I don't really ever get offended with the word 'Nigger' or 'Coloured', it doesn't bother me, unless someone derogatorily directs those words at me to piss me off, or infact insult me.

With political correctness of homosexual terms, a lot of the time, I've found the word 'gay' and 'puff' used to have a laugh with someone - as it dispurses as a completely different meaning.

End of the day.  I just switch off when those political correctness types start opening their mouths, because at the end of the day.  I don't give a sh*t what they think at all.  I just take what they say with a pinch of salt.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2009 12:47:41 am
      This is a deep one DLS. When some one within those groups make the remark, they do it to categorise their response. when someone outside that community does it it is taken as derogatory.We have to be sensitive here, otherwise we get into a minefield of accusations.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2009 12:53:58 am
      This is a deep one DLS. When some one within those groups make the remark, they do it to categorise their response. when someone outside that community does it it is taken as derogatory.We have to be sensitive here, otherwise we get into a minefield of accusations.

That's just it though isn't mate. We're not even allowed to bring the subject up without feeling the need to check what we're saying a 100 times to make sure we're not gonna offend somebody.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2009 01:03:19 am
      It's like living in a world full of fascists.

You can't say this, you can't do this, who wants to live a life like that?  Certainly not me.  It's probably the reason why I've got quite an outspoken personality because I'm not afraid to stand up in what I believe in.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2009 01:06:37 am
      It's like living in a world full of fascists.

You can't say this, you can't do this, who wants to live a life like that?  Certainly not me.  It's probably the reason why I've got quite an outspoken personality because I'm not afraid to stand up in what I believe in.

Spot on again mate.

We're expected to live within the rules that are set, but the rules apply to a few. The smoking ban was the perfect example of that, "no smoking in public areas but we're allowed to smoke in the House of Commons". It's the same with this discussion, you can't say this but somebody else can.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2009 01:13:52 am
      DLS weve' been a multicultural city for severel hundred years. We don't have to convince oursrlves of the beliefes,the problem lies with the world wide  expansion of support we need to survive financially, but have no understanding of the passion. What should happen as part of the global expansion, is the inclusion  of a proper fans contingent on our promotional tours, to galvanise the eesence of the club.Why not the moderators of this forum?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Jun 18, 2009 01:31:59 am
      I agree with you both. 

I just don't understand what you meant about the Moderators on the forum Roy?  You're not allowed to say anything about us, and we'll correct you if you do!  ;)

But anyway, sarcasm a side.  Didn't this country fight and win a war for freedom?  For jobs and general citezen rights?  Where's the freedom in the 21st Century? 

I just hope when I'm older, and have kids of me own (not tempting fate too early! :D) but I want to bring them in to a world were they have the right to feel like they can open their own mouths enjoy themselves without worrying too much about issues of political correctness types.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #8: Jun 18, 2009 02:35:55 am
      With the Tory government looking likely to run the country again Court, it'll force more difficult situations for the next generation to cope with, especially here on Merseyside.

Hopefully though, that will bring them closer together and put any of the political correct terms to one side. Hopefully it'll create more communitity spirit which will stop them even needing to think about using certain words. Hopefully they'll realise that everybody is a person and treat them as such as the government won't.

But I don't think any person from now until doomsday will actually be able to speak as freely as they want. They'll always be reserved on certain issues because that what society dictates.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 18, 2009 05:19:21 am
      In a way, I agree with everyone that it is just the world we are living in. But, I also think that everyone is responsible for it because I think we ALL have things that if we said it would be ok but if others did, it wouldn't

I use my brother-in-law as an example. Me, My sister, and close family all rag on my old pops as a running joke when he has been drinking. He gets a little clumsy after a few so we like to make fun of him. But, when other non-close-family make fun of him, I think our entire family gets a little offended...like my brother-in-law who joined in the fun the first few weeks he met the family. We all basically told him to shut the hell up when he started doing it in front of us. Now, technically he has a right to join in the fun but I think our sensitivity about the situation kicked in a bit and we got a little over-protective.

Now, I am not in ANY WAY trying to compare my situation to race, gender, etc....I understand they are COMPLETELY different but I am just trying to show that everyone is a bit sensitive with things and WHO says them. While we may roll our eyes at other races or genders who get offended at things we may say while OTHERS say it and they don't mind it....I do think our own race/gender has things that we may ourselves get a bit offended at if our own said it and others did as well which annoyed us.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jun 18, 2009 10:32:07 am
      Words in themselves are just that but it's the context in which they are used, that cause hurt D.L.S. It's okay for someone from within "a community" to use the words about themselves as no offence is intended or caused. Freedom of speech doesn't really come into it.

In South Africa it used to be 'the norm' to allow people to live in squalor or worse because of the colour of their skin. In deep south U.S.A. it used to be 'the norm' to use the 'n' word and hang black people for being black. I know you would never say "nigger" in the presence of a black footballer - whether or not he listened to songs with the word in it. I also know you would accept that it's inappropriate.

It's not as much we aren't "allowed"; it's more we realise it's unacceptable. We all know what language is inappropriate and why.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #11: Jun 18, 2009 02:44:53 pm
      Words in themselves are just that but it's the context in which they are used, that cause hurt D.L.S. It's okay for someone from within "a community" to use the words about themselves as no offence is intended or caused. Freedom of speech doesn't really come into it.

In South Africa it used to be 'the norm' to allow people to live in squalor or worse because of the colour of their skin. In deep south U.S.A. it used to be 'the norm' to use the 'n' word and hang black people for being black. I know you would never say "nigger" in the presence of a black footballer - whether or not he listened to songs with the word in it. I also know you would accept that it's inappropriate.

It's not as much we aren't "allowed"; it's more we realise it's unacceptable. We all know what language is inappropriate and why.

That's a good point mate but then it still begs the question as to why some are allowed to say it and some aren't. It's just as inappropriate for a black fella to say nigger as it is when a white fella says it. But society only takes offence when it's the white bloke saying it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #12: Jun 18, 2009 02:54:53 pm
      In a way, I agree with everyone that it is just the world we are living in. But, I also think that everyone is responsible for it because I think we ALL have things that if we said it would be ok but if others did, it wouldn't

I use my brother-in-law as an example. Me, My sister, and close family all rag on my old pops as a running joke when he has been drinking. He gets a little clumsy after a few so we like to make fun of him. But, when other non-close-family make fun of him, I think our entire family gets a little offended...like my brother-in-law who joined in the fun the first few weeks he met the family. We all basically told him to shut the hell up when he started doing it in front of us. Now, technically he has a right to join in the fun but I think our sensitivity about the situation kicked in a bit and we got a little over-protective.

Now, I am not in ANY WAY trying to compare my situation to race, gender, etc....I understand they are COMPLETELY different but I am just trying to show that everyone is a bit sensitive with things and WHO says them. While we may roll our eyes at other races or genders who get offended at things we may say while OTHERS say it and they don't mind it....I do think our own race/gender has things that we may ourselves get a bit offended at if our own said it and others did as well which annoyed us.

That is probably right, I for example get very touchy when people start badmouthing my areaToxteth or my hometown of Liverpool but only when in a certain way. If it's joking like it was with a lot of me mates in school, then I'm quite happy to give it back. But when things are said in a certain way the defence does come up.

But I include "my own sort" if you like in that, that's the difference. If anybody who grew up in Toxteth puts it down, I'll still be as offended as if it was somebody from Aigburth, Speke or anywhere else and the same way if a Scouser puts down our city it'll offend me as much had somebody from Manchester, Bristol or anywhere else said it.

That to me is the difference. I realise that even "my own kind" can offend "their own kind". Where as in today's society only whites can be racist, only straight people can homophobic and only blokes can be sexist. That isn't the case and that's the point of this thread.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Jun 18, 2009 05:12:34 pm
      It's just as inappropriate for a black fella to say nigger as it is when a white fella says it.

No it's not. Like i say, all in context. Who's the black man going to offend?

I'll give you an example (of sorts): you and a mate are throwing banter about. Your mate calls you a wee Scouse sh*te. You aren't going to be offended. Now, you're in London and a shop-keeper hands you your change - "Here, you wee Scouse sh*te". You'll take offence. Same words - different context.

No-one can be offended if we don't say the words. I do get what you say but when it comes down to it, it's all about what's right.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #14: Jun 18, 2009 06:33:33 pm
      Isn't the point that people have become far too sensitive and Lawyers far too keen to make some money.Forget the Racism thing or the homophobic thing if you even look at somebody these days they are likely to take offense.Its weird but you have people who are really worthless pieces of crap thinking they are actually someone of great importance and don't like people disrespecting them. Look at programmes like the X factor or BGT thousand upon thousands turn up wanting to be instantly famous believing they are undiscovered talent. You cant be straight talking anymore as you will offend someones sensibilities and they will either smack you or Sue you.
      When I was younger men would come out of a pub have a fight there would be a winner and a loser and that would be that the drinking would continue and the matter forgotten. Now that would not happen as the person who lost would be seeking an opportunity for revenge even if it did mean stabbing his victor from behind unable to defend himself.The world has gone mad its no longer safe to voice an opinion or to question someones values either way you are likely to be sorry you bothered.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #15: Jun 18, 2009 06:38:26 pm
      No it's not. Like i say, all in context. Who's the black man going to offend?

I'll give you an example (of sorts): you and a mate are throwing banter about. Your mate calls you a wee Scouse sh*te. You aren't going to be offended. Now, you're in London and a shop-keeper hands you your change - "Here, you wee Scouse sh*te". You'll take offence. Same words - different context.

No-one can be offended if we don't say the words. I do get what you say but when it comes down to it, it's all about what's right.

I understand that mate that it's different context. But going back to the racism thing, black people can use the word "nigger" as a racist term as much as a white person but people don't seem to take offence.

That's what I meant by just as inappropriate.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2009 06:59:09 pm
      I suppose to me people are people and words are words. It's cack that words can cause so much trouble.

I've got a mate who's a doctor and he's asian, and we were walking out of work one day and he said to me, 'I f***in hate being  apaki me, no birds fancy you' - Now, he was joking and he's married, and I could probably have said something back similar and he would have laughed, but it did kind of shock me at the time.

But like I say, people are people. Except for paedophiles, and evertonians ;)

Quick Reply