Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid)

Read 33470 times
      YorkshireRed
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 108 posts |
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Jun 16, 2009 08:13:00 pm
      Part of an interview with Arbeloa

Do you want to come back to Spain?
      It's something that is always at the back of my mind. I'm fine at Liverpool but I'd like to come back because I didn't really experience La Liga at the top level. I'm sure I'll come back one day. Away from football, I'm missing everything that I have back home.

Your name appears on the list of possible signings at Real Madrid?
      It's always nice to be targeted by big sides, especially by this Real Madrid team that is being put together. They're trying really hard to build a great team. I've got one year left at Liverpool, but you never know what's going to happen.

Are you not thinking about renewing your contract at Liverpool?
      It's up in the air. It's likely that I'll stay only for the next year. That said, if an offer comes in they'll have to look at it and see if it's best for them to sell me now. It's all in the hands of my agent. I'm focusing on the national team.

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/arbeloa-italia-da-respeto-brasil/dasftb/20090616dasdasftb_40/Tes

Not positive in his answers at all.
      With Johnson seemingly on his way here, perhaps best to get what we can for Arby, while we can.

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2009 08:21:02 pm
      Dont want him to leave but this willl happen im afraid....
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2009 08:26:45 pm
      Reading between the lines it seems that Arby is resigned to leaving either for personal or career issues ,do the 'agents' have the final say or the player? I think the agents are far too powerful and are purely there to line their pockets
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2009 08:30:13 pm
      Arby was in the Real books before moving on in his career..... im sure he has a dream to play for them..... like he says he hasnt had the real la liga experience.... if he wants to leave, let him.... it will be good business all round by making some money plus making him happy.... but no mata what this player has done very well for us... hate him to leave but he has to be playing 1st team football to maintain his status in the spain squad foir next years world cup
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2009 09:08:58 pm
      Arby was in the Real books before moving on in his career..... im sure he has a dream to play for them..... like he says he hasnt had the real la liga experience.... if he wants to leave, let him.... it will be good business all round by making some money plus making him happy.... but no mata what this player has done very well for us... hate him to leave but he has to be playing 1st team football to maintain his status in the spain squad foir next years world cup

Doubt he'll get much first team experience at Real with Sergio Ramos in front of him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2009 10:29:35 pm
      With those answers it doesn't seem Arby's heart is here, which is a massive disappointment. Any player who doesn't wanna be here, shouldn't be here. As much as I rate Arby and think he's quality with only 12 months left on his deal and him not looking to keen on signing an extension, maybe it is wise for him to go.

Resigned to say it, but it doesn't look likely Arby will be here. :(
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2009 10:35:12 pm
      Doubt he'll get much first team experience at Real with Sergio Ramos in front of him.

Ramos is gna be a centre back from next season according to some reprts dno how true them rumours are. plus arby can also play left back....
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2009 10:38:20 pm
      If he does go, his last game in a red shirt was v west brom......... cnt forget that moment with carra.... could that spat had made him think of his options???
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2009 11:05:22 pm
      Arbeloa is a class act and should definitely stay with us. Hopefully we can keep hold of him because he has been superb for us.. reliable and always the one to dive over the top of everybody during a celebration. Scored some good goals himself too. 
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #9: Jun 16, 2009 11:12:23 pm
      I would like him to stay but if he wants to leave then ok.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #10: Jun 16, 2009 11:13:55 pm
      Ill say weve got our moneys worth out of the lad, and a good profilt to boot, a decent player, but not a game changer really.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 16, 2009 11:14:46 pm
      My thoughts exactly. Wonder was anything said after the game to upset him. I think we'll lose him at this stage which will be a pity as he really found his feet in the prem this season.
      If he does go, his last game in a red shirt was v west brom......... cnt forget that moment with carra.... could that spat had made him think of his options???
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 16, 2009 11:16:49 pm
      Arbeloa is a class act and should definitely stay with us. Hopefully we can keep hold of him because he has been superb for us.. reliable and always the one to dive over the top of everybody during a celebration. Scored some good goals himself too. 
      Oh jesus we have to keep him so, if he's the first to jump on top of everybody!!! Definitely the biggest attribute needed for top class full backs these days. :lmao:
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2009 11:58:45 pm

I reckon Carragher and him probably have had more coming togethers then the one on the pitch, Arbeloa might of decided enough is enough.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Jun 17, 2009 12:28:08 am
      No positives in those answers what so ever, I am saddened that he wants to leave us I loved the lad to bits. But if he doesnt want to be at the greatest club in the world and his heart is not with LFC then we should let him go.

:f_wah:
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 17, 2009 12:45:52 am
      My thoughts exactly. Wonder was anything said after the game to upset him. I think we'll lose him at this stage which will be a pity as he really found his feet in the prem this season.

Its a shame that game could have been his last one considering what happened in late in that half..... felt sorry for the lad, every footballer makes mistakes even stevie does but no need to push ur own team mate..... if that is the reason why arby isnt happy to stay then carra needs to be more professional on the pitch...
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #16: Jun 17, 2009 07:26:15 am
      Part of an interview with Arbeloa

Do you want to come back to Spain?
      It's something that is always at the back of my mind. I'm fine at Liverpool but I'd like to come back because I didn't really experience La Liga at the top level. I'm sure I'll come back one day. Away from football, I'm missing everything that I have back home.

Your name appears on the list of possible signings at Real Madrid?
      It's always nice to be targeted by big sides, especially by this Real Madrid team that is being put together. They're trying really hard to build a great team. I've got one year left at Liverpool, but you never know what's going to happen.

Are you not thinking about renewing your contract at Liverpool?
      It's up in the air. It's likely that I'll stay only for the next year. That said, if an offer comes in they'll have to look at it and see if it's best for them to sell me now. It's all in the hands of my agent. I'm focusing on the national team.

If this is true then I think in his mind he's already gone.

I'll be sad to see him leave, I have found him to be extremely reliable and solid defensively, it wasn't a position I felt needed strengthening, except for back-up.

It obviously makes our interest in Johnson a lot easier to understand, if we're looking for a new first-choice RB then he's a good option with EPL experience.

It's not the first time I've heard or Arby being homesick, and I can understand how hard it is living in another country far from your family and roots. If he wants to leave I won't have any bad feelings towards him, just wish him all the best and thanks for the loyal service. YNWA.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #17: Jun 17, 2009 07:45:33 am
      He sounds as though he's homesick. And If he doesn't want to renew his contract, we should sell now to get a profit for him.
      Don't wanna see him go at all, but it'd be a real kick in the crotch if he left on a free.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Jun 17, 2009 07:51:59 am
      Rather him go now than in 12 months on a free. Dont know why his contract was even left this long to sign on a long term deal though ??? Anyway, dont want him to go but whatever happens, happens.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #19: Jun 17, 2009 07:53:41 am
      Dont know why his contract was even left this long to sign on a long term deal though ???

I wonder if he hadn't planned it this way.

Maybe he's known for a long time he didn't want to stay past the end of his contract, and he and the club have just kept it quiet.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Jun 17, 2009 07:57:50 am
      I wonder if he hadn't planned it this way.

Maybe he's known for a long time he didn't want to stay past the end of his contract, and he and the club have just kept it quiet.

Good point. Sounds fair enough, too. Always has been speculation of him going back to Spain anyway.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #21: Jun 17, 2009 08:11:36 am
      The only choice the club has got is get the best price for Arbeloa the indications are that he sees his future elsewhere for one reason or the other.The signing of Johnson looks as though his departure is a forgone conclusion and while we must be grateful to Arbeloa for services rendered the success of LFC is the prime concern and these transactions can only be seen in a positive light.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #22: Jun 17, 2009 10:49:40 pm
      Dont get me wrong i like arby, but i certainly dont think hes irreplacable. As some have said i think his minds already back in Spain. Maybe thats what Carra was having a go at him for against West Brom. But if hes leaving over a row with another player which is possibly being suggested then i think its a bit lame and hes looking for a reason to go, but well see, its all supposition at the moment.

Quick Reply