Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41230 times
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #184: Jan 24, 2011 10:59:31 pm
      When i was 4 my fav color was red and my uncle whos a massive reds fan persuaded me to support them

It was either them or Boro :P
      Papa Joe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #185: Jan 24, 2011 11:31:37 pm
      I grew up playing and got away from it.  When I was touring in England during college, one of my friends was a die hard scum fan.  I immediately started following Liverpool.  It was afterwards that I found out that it is the greatest club in the world.  I'll never forget when we were in London, January 2002, sitting in a pub watching Liverpool beat the scum.  The pub was packed and split between the two teams.

It might not be until later in life (finances and living in US), but it's one of my dreams to take in a live game at Anfield (or the new stadium).  My dad was traveling in Manchester for business, and got his hosts to take him to Anfield and he got to go on the tour.  I am still jealous.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #186: Jan 24, 2011 11:37:54 pm
      I think it's safe to assume that to everyone, the Liverpool crest is not a badge, but a family crest ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #187: Jan 25, 2011 12:02:21 am
      I lived with me grandparents in Hanbury Road L4. I used to wait at the gate for me grandad to come home from the match. I could hear the crowd roar from there, so used to run in and tell me Gran when we'd scored. Me Grandad took me to me first match when I was 4 in the Anie road end. That was in 1956. The rest is history as they say.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #188: Jan 25, 2011 12:09:26 am
      Dad took me my first match when I was six.
      Got to our seats in The Kop, sat down, I turned to him and said "What do we do now?"
      Simple, but effective!

Doubt he would of let me support any other team, remmember growing up someone bought me a wigan shirt (Im from Wigan) and Im positive my Dad binned it without telling me. Could never see myself supporting anyone else, this club truely is a pivital part of my life, up there with friends, family etc.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #189: Jan 25, 2011 12:38:52 am
      It was in 2000, the first time EPL was broadcasted in India but their was no information on any clubs history available to us. It was all about MANCS AND CHELSEA for everyone. But I felt something special for the REDS. I still can't point to a win or loss. I think it was the Hyppia Henchoz combo ! But since the first day i saw liverpool play i have loved them. I just feel I was born to support them. So insane about the club that I am trying to get the scouse accent. Any tips redmen ?
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #190: Jan 25, 2011 01:15:10 am
      I think i'm the only one  who support liverpool in my family , my father is egyptian and my mother is italain and i was born in italy and all my family and all my friend from school they supported they favorite club roma and i never liked even when my father took me to watch games at the olympic satdium of rome i was happy but i didn't feel that passion about football but one day my cousin which is a F***ing man united fan told me to watch a match with him and the scums played against liverpool that was at 2000 i was 10 years old even that we lost that day but i enjoyed watching liverpool and i fell in love with them  and then i began to read about liverpool history and i was impressed and i began to learn all the songs and wow that was good and from that day i was a liverpool fan and i'm so proud and i really hope some day i would go there and watch a game at anfield that would be a dream come true , now i'm a liverpool fan and till i die i will be a liverpool fan , you will never walk alone
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #191: Jan 25, 2011 01:24:20 am
      Fernando Torres didn't play for us until a year after that World Cup though?

Not that it matters but just saying ;)

yeah, I didn't do a good job representing time did I. I got into football that summer, on and off watched MLS, FMF, and international games whenever I could find them on TV. When FSN and ESPN started picking up EPL games I got more interested in the league and then started my search for an EPL team. Thanks for pointing that out :)
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #192: Jan 25, 2011 01:40:49 am
      First World Cup I truly remember was France '98. '94 was in the USA, where I live, but I was only 8 and had no interest at the time. The summer of '98 I spent a month in Tennessee with my grandparents, and watched a number of the games. I decided to follow England and Scotland (I am Scottish from both of my grandmothers), and would have supported Wales as my grandfather was actually from Swansea, but alas they didn't qualify (I didn't understand this at the time).

Of course, everyone knows Owen went ballistic that tourney, and I was hooked. I decided to learn as much as possible from players cards I found, and decided I would be a Liverpool fan. I actually didn't catch much for a while, as there was never any club footie on in the US unless you were of drinking age (which I wasn't until 2007), but thanks to college and live streams I managed to catch most of the 2005 Champions League run, including Istanbul.

I've been hooked since 2005, but started keeping up with affairs in '98. I wake up every Saturday/Sunday, no matter the time, to watch or stream the games. Last weekend vs. Wolves I was up at 4:30 in the morning after getting to bed at 1, so don't you dare question my dedication :)

YNWA
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #193: Jan 25, 2011 09:24:06 am
      I'm glad to see this thread is getting some action. Nice one, people.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #194: Jan 25, 2011 01:19:09 pm
      Nice thread

Well my reason is simple, my dad had no interest in football whatsoever, if he did i would be supporting Hull or Leeds.

I was football mad and my mother bought me a FAKE Liverpool kit from the market as it was the 80's

And from then on i breathed Liverpool, pretending to be Ian Rush on my back garden :)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #195: Jan 25, 2011 01:39:36 pm
      It's where I'm from and my family drummed it in to me from birth. I'd hate not to support my local team, I guess I'm just lucky in that aspect.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #196: Jan 25, 2011 01:52:36 pm
      I have never known any differance my Dad used to take all the games up until I was 8 when we was at Hillsborough , My mum didnt let him take me again till I was 14 . She said she'd never been so scared in her like (Gotta remember no such thing a mobile phones in those days ).
             But back to the thread I have my Dad to thank as my Mum Is a scum fan , so im bloody lucky he was better at Brain washing than she was I suppose!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #197: Jan 25, 2011 01:53:33 pm
      PS1 made me a Liverpool Fan ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #198: Jan 25, 2011 01:57:05 pm
      If Tranmere friggin Rovers was your most local club and Liverpool was just through the tunnel who would you choose? Anyway me Dad told me to.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #199: Jan 25, 2011 02:20:37 pm
      I saw a picture of Ian Rush with his super stylish tasch and he looked like my uncle and was convinced that my uncle played for Liverpool the seeds where sown. when i was 5 my oldest sister went to Uni in Liverpool and meet Ian Rush (i had realized that he wasn't my uncle by now) and that was it i was hooked. I little side note is that i am dyslexic and one of the few words i could spell at 11 was Liverpool.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #200: Jan 25, 2011 04:16:55 pm
      No one in my family supports Liverpool, my Dad was a Leeds fan. I think Micheal Owen had a small impact occasionally i would watch Liverpool on tv and be interested. I always liked football and knew my stuff i just didn't know a team really i always lingered in the background just enjoying football and not picking a team. When Owen went i wasn't fazed, i even missed Istanbul i didn't start getting back into football until in 2007 when we signed Fernando Torres. He was always one of my favourite players, i always knew a lot about it but just didn't chose a team. I remember watching Torres sign for Liverpool and just following him playing for Liverpool. Eventually i just fell in love with the team and Rafa. From their on i've supported them massively and learned about the old teams and about Anfield. I guess i would of chose Liverpool earlier but i was quite swayed when i was younger. I really started to love the reds when we 09-10 because i felt really angry and upset and how bad we were doing, funnily enough i started to support the reds when were going backwards. But because i joined in the hard times i'm looking forward to the good times and it still pisses me off i missed Istanbul.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #201: Jan 25, 2011 07:34:16 pm
      1973 was the year and have never looked back i saw 2 decades of domination then a lull for a good while until rafa its been a nightmare lately but now i"m all excited again good times ahead of us we will be the power house again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #202: Jan 25, 2011 07:51:12 pm
      i used to have to watch Tranmere when Liverpool played away I still have nightmare now.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #203: Jan 25, 2011 11:13:10 pm
      I pretty much fell into being a Liverpool Fan and can't quite put my finger on the point when I realised how special this club was it is just something that has grown over the years.

For me what makes us special are the fans and their relationship to the club it feels like under the dogma of YNWA together we're more than a football club we're a working mans social movement who together walk through each and every storm with their head held high with the unshakable belief that there is a golden sky waiting just around the corner.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #204: Jan 26, 2011 01:30:58 am
      Great thread.

Well, Merseyside has always played a big part in my family. My family are all from the Wirral, but they moved to Preston when my mum was 15. I was born many years later in Preston.

My Uncle and his family are all Blues, with season tickets but my grandparents were Reds. My dad was never really into football, and he separated from my Mum when I was only young. I used to go round to my grandparents house after school sometimes as a youngster and watch the football and my Grandad would tell me all these stories of the great Liverpool teams of the 80's. I became a red. My Uncle and the cousins weren't happy.

My first game was a mersyside derby at Goodison because one of my cousins couldn't go through illness so I took his ticket. We won 3-1 I think, Gerrard scored a screamer. I tried my best not to celebrate.

I started supporting Liverpool when I was about seven, and at 18 my passion has only intensified, they will be with me for the rest of my life, through the tough times and the not so tough ones.

Being at University, I now have a sense of freedom and independence I didn't have before and I go to games regularly by my bill, getting a train from Sheffield.

It was a really sad moment for me late last year when my Grandad passed away, his influence pushed LFC onto me and I'm more grateful than he could ever know. We're going to scatter his ashes back at Caldy in the Wirral soon so that'll be an emotional day. I'll sing YNWA for him.

keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #205: Jan 26, 2011 01:57:14 am
      No choice for me! my dad is a mad red and his dad was, drummed into me from birth used to get passed over the turnstiles on the old Kop from the age of four. my mum worked on a saturday so my dad was palmed off with me and had to take me the game, what i would give to go back to those days.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #206: Jan 26, 2011 06:57:46 am
      Living in the states I didnt get much exposure to the sport, only really around WC time, and when i would go to Europe to visit family, but even then i was really only interested in international football compared to Club level football....My interest in the sport grew alot during Euro 2000, Micheal Owen was my favorite player in the world @ the time, and i guess I slowly grew attached to the club he played for, when he punked out i felt myself still attached to LFC, by the years my support and interest for LFC has gotten stronger

Quick Reply