Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41034 times
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #230: Mar 17, 2012 08:13:07 pm
      Been a while since this thread was used, so given the amount of new people we have posting - would any of you be kind enough to share your reasons for loving Liverpool Football Club?

No ties with the city.

Simply saw the Kop on TV around 1992 as a 9 year old and instantly fell in love with the club and knew it was for me. Wrote a letter to the club that year (the things people used to do before the internet!) asking to join a fan club. Followed the clubs fortunes passionately ever since. Got a strip every season throughout the rest of the 90s and pretended I was Steve McManaman when playing football proudly wearing it.

Finally got to my first game at Anfield in the 2007/08 season as I didn't really know how to go about getting tickets before them plus it's a big expense coming down from here but been down once a season since my first game. Tomorrow will be my second game this week I'm down for and I'm going to get down a fair bit more now Im in touch with fans up here that go to all the games and can sometimes get me a ticket. Got myself a membership now too.

Was also born a fan of my hometown team up here and been to hundreds of games home and away for 20 odd years but only really go to most of the home games now.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #231: Mar 17, 2012 08:16:41 pm

It has become a huge part of my life,and hard to explain to the "ordinary" people why it means so much.

Completely agree with that.

A lot of people I know don't understand and question why I support an English team but they have no idea of the great times I've had following the clubs fortunes for 20 years and to be honest, if they don't get it, that's their problem :)
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #232: Mar 17, 2012 09:09:31 pm
      My story is All my mums side are Australian, my dads are all from Liverpool. Luckily non of them supported the blue so i was brought up a red and will always be one. Im so glad im a red and not anyother.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #233: Mar 17, 2012 09:25:39 pm
      Although I grew up next to goodison my dad was one of 12 all Liverpool supporters so you can imagine how many of us there are now all REDS .
      Its my only real passion I cant help it , I was on my knees  on Tuesday many times as to beat Everton for me is the greatest thing.My father was taunted growing up in the 1930,40's etc by Evertonians with the remark "talk to us when you have won the
      FA Cup" well we did and 5 European Cups and 18 league titles.
      The one thing I would say is if you are not a passionate person you shouldn't be a RED because supporting this club should be at the very core of your soul or you cannot really call yourself a RED.The mere thought of tomorrows game should send a shiver down the spine and the thought of Kenny in the dug out should make you smile.
      Come on you REDS
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #234: Mar 17, 2012 09:28:42 pm
      I was born in Liverpool and left at a very young age. My Mum is a Scouser and came from a large family (11 brothers and sisters) who were nearly all Reds. My first memory is watching the 1974 Cup Final and my love for LFC started there.

I feel so lucky to support Liverpool and I felt that it chose me, rather than I chose them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #235: Mar 17, 2012 09:29:13 pm
      Ok being a" newbie" here,but a life long red,my time of following the reds started with the 1965 cup final.
      So was there before we became an even greater club than we were at the time.

It has become a huge part of my life,and hard to explain to the "ordinary" people why it means so much.
      Have had a house called Anfield and a cat called Dalgleish so guess I'm hooked,or to the laymean stupid,but who cares.  ;D
      its all about SOUL you either have it or you support Everton.
      Well said I know Norfolk people are good people and your mor ethan welcome here
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #236: Mar 17, 2012 10:19:10 pm
      Me dad's a red, his dad was a red, my uncle's a red, didn't really have a choice in the matter  :D always remember watching barnes on the tele on motd when i was about 3 and asking me dad why everyone called him digger, still dont understand the connection to this day haha. Our first house was number 10 and i was F***ing chuffed cos that was owen's number for us as well, simple things eh :P had my room plastered in liverpool wallpaper, liverpool curtains, liverpool lamp, you name it. I love the atmosphere of anfield, can remember my first game at anfield, in the kop on my tenth birthday, i was on a high for about a week after that haha, still remember everything from that day perfectly. Safe to say, i F***ing love our club and always will do. YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #237: Mar 17, 2012 11:10:31 pm
      Digger Barnes was from Dallas BBC tv show.
      Never understood the connection.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #238: Mar 17, 2012 11:28:50 pm
      I lived at Hanbury Road Clubmoor when I ws a nipper, my Grandparents house. I could hear the Kop roar when Liverpool scored from there. My Grandad would be at the match and I was always in awe of the reports he would tell when he returned. I was 3 then, and it wasn't long before he took me with him.
      End of......... 60 this year and still as devoted and as passionate ever, sorry I don't live local any more so don't get to many games. Have 3 lads though, and all are die hard reds. All been to Anfield with me, the eldest when the kop was a terrace, along with a few of his mates. All devoted now, in thier 30s with thier young lads going the same way. I live in the West Country now, and we've created a liverpool dynasty here.
      Strange thing is, most of the rest of my family, Uncles, cousins etc are Evertonians, sad lot.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #239: Mar 18, 2012 07:13:55 am
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #240: Mar 18, 2012 07:25:20 am
      Because, .......

"God is with us!"

:o
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #241: Mar 18, 2012 07:57:01 am
      Because, .......

"God is with us!"

:o
      And the devil is with the Mancs.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #242: Mar 18, 2012 10:09:40 am
      Posted this on other threads but I was born on the outskirts of Glasgow in 1970 and my brothers and Dad were non-catholic Celtic fans. I was football daft and 6 in the summer of 1977 when Liverpool signed the King. My 17yr old brother cried at Celtic's loss and I fell in love with the Liver bird. 35 years later and still going strong...
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #243: Mar 18, 2012 10:14:19 am
      One of my favorite threads on here. Great stories people, keep them coming.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #244: Mar 18, 2012 11:05:07 am
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #245: Mar 18, 2012 11:06:12 am
      Like many my dad was a red.  He started going to the match just after WWII.  Apparently he would teach me the names of the players as soon as I could talk, but it really started in 1974 - FA Cup final.  He had 2 tickets and so my mum went with him and he carried me in (making myself look really small at aged 5).  The grass was so green (pretty vivid memory of that).  When we scored I asked if I could cheer - and that was it.  Regular from the late 70's, season ticket from the mid 80's until I moved to Oz in '03.  Still able to see every game over here as the TV coverage is excellent (Robbie Slater is a studio host and a mad red).

It is a funny thing being a true supporter of a club - I follow the Brisbane Roar over here in the A League, but when they lose it doesn't really bother me.  We lose and it's a different story.  I love football, but sometimes can't watch a game if we are not involved, because there is no attachment - it just doesn't feel right.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #246: Mar 18, 2012 11:20:38 am
      I'm from Waterford, Ireland and was born in 1984. My dad supports Spurs, and my brother who is 10 years older than me supported Liverpool when I was born, and he was allowed name me. So he named me after his favourite player, King Kenny!! One of my earliest memories is when he was boss and I boasting that I was named after him. So pretty much since birth i've had an association with the reds. And funnily enough, my brother stopped even following football, but i'll always be grateful for his great choice of name!
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #247: Mar 19, 2012 01:02:14 pm
      Im from Sligo Ireland, was born in the early 70's and my first schoolbag was a liverpool one. For me I too fell in love with the crest and the club and everything that they both stand for. My father is a Forest fan and I have a brother and a sister who are mancs supporters, god bless em, they mean no harm, they are definatley not from the same loins I came from that's for sure. Now that I have two children of my own they too are Liverpool fans and we are regular visitors to Anfield and The Albert!!! YNWA.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #248: Mar 19, 2012 08:43:47 pm
      50 years of lurv baby.
      Where do I start?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #249: Mar 19, 2012 09:39:16 pm
      Many Liverpool fans were born into it, I've got a tremendous amount of respect for those of you who were because you are the ones who have kept the club to what it is, whose families have supported the club and who know better than most about the true values of this wonderful club.

However, I was born and bred a Sporting Lisbon fan, still am, still follow them as best as I can, but being a fan of football in general who watches as much as possible of the game per week, and loving the sport while living in the USA, I couldn't simply watch Sporting games. When I was around 10 years old was I really started watching as much as I could because I was/still am a player and I wanted to learn as much about the games as possible.

One Saturday morning they were showing the Merseyside Derby and there was just something in Pool's play, the way they controlled the game with simple passes, stayed calm, worked the ball around and waited until the right opportunity to strike. It was beautiful play, they went on to win 3-0. Then I started as much of their games as possible and even when they didn't win, I still enjoyed watching them play, slowly but surely I started turning into a fan.

The next couple of seasons, I watched as much of the games as they showed on TV and started to really learn about the players, the history, the fans, the meaning, and anything I could get my hands on to help me understand more about the club. Then I got my computer and I wasn't stuck with watching whatever games they showed, instead I had the capability of watching every LFC game. From that point on, I've never looked back, I'm on football sites, fan pages, anything Liverpool/EPL for like 2-3 hours of my day, be it on my phone or on my computer.

I've got nothing in terms of knowledge/accessibility as those of you who live in Liverpool, or even England for that matter, so I do what I can to keep up with all the news, etc, but in terms of passion/heart I'd like to consider myself up there with the die-hard fans. When the team loses/plays poorly I have a miserable day, when they win or play well, it makes me happier than anything else in the world.

I may not have been raised a Liverpool fan, but my children most certainly will be.
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #250: Mar 19, 2012 11:27:00 pm
      1968. 8 years old. i decided it was time  i supported a football team. was a sunday  morning, got the sunday paper, turned to the league tables at the  back.closed my eyes, ran my finger down the first  division table for a second or 2.stopped.finger on liverpool.
      saw my 1st  game at  anfield in 1971 as a treat for my 11th birthday. we drew 2-2 with blackpool.
      cheered a lot and cried a bit watching us over the years, even bled for us after getting jumped outside maine road in 1978/9ish.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #251: Mar 22, 2012 11:31:42 pm
      I wasn't sure where to put this and I found it interesting and it seems to fit in here as it touches a nerve with me and the thread title so if it requires moving please do. Hopefully some of you will find it interesting.

R.I.P “The Liverpool Way”?

Posted on Thursday, 22nd March 2012 by Chris Tobin

THE Liverpool Way can be regarded in the modern age of Sky Sports and social media madness as somewhat of a noose around this great clubs neck, strangling it to its very core.

An engaging media that has no time for such “Liverpool Ways”, wanting instant retribution for any ill-advised activities.

The blame culture where social conscience leads the baying pack toward its prey devouring “The Liverpool Way”. Some believe that it was built on an ingredient of success and an insurmountable amount of glory, where the masses jumped in with both feet hoping that the silver prizes would rub off on them, forgetful that Bill Shankly would go trophyless from 1966 through to 1972 “The Liverpool Way” has not always been about winning, more about the conducting of one’s self on and off the football field.

Transfer targets would only become known to the masses upon entering the famous halls and corridors of Anfield. Secrecy would be a byword of “The Liverpool Way” the crown jewel would be its fans, supporters pack-like with a tribalism like nothing before, astonishing people fighting its corner. The Liverpool Way would not just be about football, through the 1970’s and 80’s it would be a home for the masses of unemployed, people disenfranchised through Margaret Thatcher’s years in office, a Community Centre, a church to come and pay homage, their very own place of worship, they would kneel and pray toward Gods with feet of clay.

The Liverpool Dockers strike would be the longest in British industrial relations history, supported by “The Liverpool Way” with Robbie Fowler wearing a supporting T-shirt which would be revealed during a goal scoring celebration. Hillsborough and its justice campaign for innocent supporters, innocent children lost to a stadium disaster, would run red-hot through the very veins of this club, everyone to a man or woman would fight like they had been a parent to those 96 that perished from that day. “The Liverpool Way” would make sure they would not be forgotten, they would not allow them to be lied about, they would boycott The Sun whose lies would harm so many. The Liverpool Way would be to seek justice and the truth. Hillsborough would be entrenched in the thoughts and minds of every Liverpool fan, and subsequently educating new followers of their responsibility to seek justice.

Tasked with this impossible assignment, Kenny Dalglish like others before him has been found wanting, an institute well practised with keeping cards very close to its liver bird chest, where in-house would mean exactly that. A Cosa Nostra with its very own values and rituals, where fans would have to take a code of silence, brothers in red arms with family secrets that would be forever clandestine. Its first Godfather Shankly would give it his own brand of meaningfulness:

“Well the Kop’s exclusive. The Spion Kop at Liverpool is an institution. And if you are a member of the Kop you feel as if you are a member of a big society where you’ve got thousands of friends all roundabout you. And they’re united and loyal.”

Its ingredient would be more Fanny Craddick than today’s less tasty if more modern Jamie Oliver, an unquestionable loyalty in a theatre of atmospheric greatness, where scarves would be raised above heads full of footballing integrity with a dash of knowledge, supportive to its very bone. With songs to sing with words that others would steal for themselves, loud and boisterous would be added to the dish, slices of belligerence roasted with its very own humour, a side dish of humility.

The Liverpool Way would be an honest way, where truth could and would be accepted, passion would not get in its way. This banquet however would become far less palatable, but some would keep the appetite for this new dish and consume with the same intensity whilst unaware the ingredient had now changed, a modernistic plate, with its integrity questioned its former ways challenged once lauded and extolled, would now be abused and accused leading to a new Liverpool Way. Strangulation of Liverpool Football Club would come with an inability to react to the modern way, it would have to battle with its demons, the veracity of its history, acceptance of its part played on 29th May 1985 in the deaths of 39 football fans as bitter as any feast it had been fed. The Liverpool Way was to protect and fight its own corner, but it would not win this battle, the modern fan may well try to defend the indefensible, believing in some small way they are protecting the club, they are not, they are furthering its unacceptable face, intolerable in its stance. Wearing t-shirts supporting sacked dock workers would be replaced with those pertaining association with an alleged racist, this would not help the modern Liverpool way, and it would become all to consuming for the modern fan, believing defence with all-out attack was an appropriate recipe. Where once they could hold their own court the avalanche of media driven rhetoric would need feeding more regularly; than owners, managers and players were used to, and negativity thrust upon this once great institution had begun to make inroads, divided it would be conquered.

Fans had found an insatiable appetite for what they perceived was their right to a once given success, a hunger they cannot stomach, replaced realism with dreams of grandeur above its station, patience thin to its hub. How “The Liverpool Way” had manifested itself into the modern church-goer whom no longer just came to pay homage, a wanting of satisfaction from its demigods, an expectation of excellence from those who would fail to deliver. The Liverpool way would become just a distant memory talked about and regaled in moments of reflection. I was raised on the diet that was “The Liverpool Way” an innate sense of what was right, a footballing paradise, where pass and move were watch words, recognition from eyes that would behold this spectacle; our way. When our castle on the rare occasion was penetrated we would applaud our conquerors with a gratitude that only our way knew. Defeat would not be met with rounding on heroes and custodians of our institution. We would sing “You’ll never walk alone” and we would mean it, frivolous and erratic support would be for others, it would not be “The Liverpool Way” Its history will not be decided from within Anfield but more from outside, its fans, the media driven vitriol and Mr. General Public who will decide to believe headlines over content, where social media rage replaces sensible dialogue, my fear is its epitaph is written.

R.I.P. “The Liverpool Way”
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #252: May 30, 2022 04:07:28 pm
      In years to come, the fans will have the answer to the question very easily and say Jürgen Klopp.

The success he's brought to the club, the football we play and his personality must be inspiring so many people to fall in love with our club again. Ans then scenes like yesterday and 2019 must have kids all over the world telling their parents they want to support Liverpool because no other club can create what we do and they want to be a part of it next time.

Quick Reply