Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41043 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      You and Liverpool...Why?
      Jun 21, 2009 01:55:39 am
      We all support Liverpool Football Club for various reasons, but what's yours? Even those who've just had it handed down from their mam or dad must have had a point in life where they decided that there was something special about this club and why they wanted it to be a part of their life.

For me, it was a case of it being handed down by me dad who'd in turn had it handed down to him from his dad. But that was about as far as me old man went with making Liverpool compulsory with me, he didn't force me into loving this club. That came later on for me.

Me first match was in 95, because I started to take a small interest in football around that time but even that didn't mark the point in which I fell in love with this club. The first time I heard You'll Never Walk Alone sung on the Kop wasn't enough because I wasn't old enough to appreciate the feeling, when me dad took me the Hillsborough monument for the first I didn't really feel anything because of my age, I didn't really understand life and death. Even when I was taken to the statue of Bill Shankly for the first time outside the ground, I couldn't appreciate what me dad was telling me. Nothing just sunk in.

So when did I know that Liverpool Football Club was gonna play a major part in me life? The 8th of January 1997, eight days before me sixth birthday. That was the date when I went from something me dad told me I was part of to something I wanted to be part of. It was a League Cup game at the Riverside and we lost 2-1. Me two favourite cousins, Mick and Ste were staying over and we were listening to the match on the radio. The final whistle went and that was that, I was in absolute buckets. Tears streaming down me face because we'd been knocked out of the League Cup. I stormed into me room and couldn't bare to face anybody, although everyone in the house at the time tried to console me they couldn't. I couldn't even bare to look at the posters I had up on me walls at the time, I was just so upset.

Few days passed and I calmed down and asked me dad what made me cry like that. His answer was simple and something I've never forgotten - "it's your love for this club showing." I saw him swell with pride when he was saying it and I never have looked back. Since then I've just been fascinated with everything about this club, I've always wanted to know more and more about the club.

I'm sure a few of you will have your own reasons for supporting this club and I hope you are willing to share them with the rest of us.
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2009 02:01:39 pm by Court LFC »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #1: Jun 21, 2009 03:22:14 am
      I think none of my family members were Liverpool FC supporters when I started playing football when I was 8 years old. Right now, I've converted like 3 or 4 of them to Kopites, ;D.
      Michael Owen was my hero back then when he scored that wonder goal against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup. Oddly enough, my first kit was an Argentina jersey :o cause I kept taking them in FIFA 1998.

I soon found out Michael Owen played for Liverpool FC and started following the team. I started taking football seriously when I was 11. I was gutted when Mo left but 5 years since his departure, I'm glad it was Steven Gerrard who didn't leave. As I got older, I started reading about Liverpool FC and their history online. Though there was not much point in me learning their songs or anything since I live far away from Anfield, it just makes me different from the other 80% Malaysian Liverpool fans.

Like Billy mentioned, "The love affair between Liverpool and I blossomed" when I cried when Liverpool lost 4-0 to Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2004 , I think. But one of the reasons I love Liverpool is that they are a very much different team with players of great attitude on and off the pitch and fans that are incredible from any other football team on the planet.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 21, 2009 03:35:44 am
      I honestly can't say that I know how it happened. I was just born into it. My family, friends, etc....all Liverpool supporters.....was brought to Anfield numerous times.

I just got lucky I guess....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Jun 21, 2009 03:54:15 am
      I honestly can't say that I know how it happened. I was just born into it. My family, friends, etc....all Liverpool supporters.....was brought to Anfield numerous times.

I just got lucky I guess....

I know that feeling ;)

"The love affair between Liverpool and I blossomed" when I cried when Liverpool lost 4-0 to Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2004, I think.

2003 AD, it was a few weeks after we had beaten them in the League Cup final at Cardiff. After that 4-0 I got shitfaced and went the Grand National and had an argument with a manc while trying to place a bet :)
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2009 04:14:48 am
      I was lucky my grandad played for Preston and became mates with Bill Shankly. We are all from Blackpool and all my uncles were Liverpool fans because of Grandads respect for Bill. it was the only games he would take them to see. All this was passed on to me by my uncle Craig who bought me the home and away kits when i was about 9 just to cement my love for the reds.

Since those days i have been red through and through, all my family are reds and i have OCD Liverpool football Club and it makes me very happy. My Mrs whinges that i bought setanta because it came with LFC TV, i will not miss a game but only get to one game a season due to all the people buying all the tickets online.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2010 09:45:09 pm by redkenny »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2009 04:37:50 am
      For me, i think my support for them started when i was in primary school (im Australian too) and my best mate was talking about this team called manchester united, and how cool they were. It was '98 i think, and i was 10 years old. For some reason ( i think it was just God telling me :P) in my mind it annoyed me, i was just like this Manchester team thing just doesnt appeal to me. But i wanted to see more soccer (we have to say that in Australia too) There was a sunday program in Australia on SBS called the World Game now, guess it was back then too, so i sat down to watch that, and saw Liverpool highlights. And for some reason (again, god telling me :P) i was drawn to them. After that, i was a Liverpool fan. I never had much access to games, but always checked the back pages for scores and then used the internet to learn about the club, and fell in love with them that way. The games that we do get free to air in Australia is FA Cup final, and Champions League games. Course, its always on at all hours of the morning! One of my greatest memories is of course Istanbul. 4am start in Australia, but i was up. Had left over chicken for breakfast, and watched the horror first half unfold. Part of me said 'just go back to bed for a bit', because i had school that day being 17 at the time. But since i had to leave for the school bus at 7am, i thought hell i aint gonna get much sleep so ill just stay up, and then the other part was something just drawing me to keep watching, because it was still Liverpool and i loved watching them. And how glad i am i stayed! I actually never saw the penalty shoot out because it was on just after i had to leave, But i got my Mum to text me what happened, and gave a little yell of joy that got a couple confused looks from people on the bus. That was one of the first Liverpool games i ever watched live, and although i had already fell in love with the team, i think thats when i Married the team so to speak, and the relationship was officialized. Since then that ive been working ive been able to pay for subscription sports channels and have not missed many games for 4-5 years. Ive had fights with parents, girlfriends etc who say that its just a game, its not important, theres no excuse for bad language when you lose to Manure.. they just dont understand the love between a fan and Liverpool FC. There really is nothing else like it :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2009 05:06:00 am
      Simple. Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red. ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2009 05:19:46 am
      Yep.  Simple.

Love the city, love the club, love everything about Liverpool that makes it completely unique to anywhere else in the world.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2009 05:47:51 am
      When i was about 6 or 7 my family would go to the club with a few family friends every weekend. I saw the older lads watching football and getting hyped about it so i thought, 'hmm, this must be interesting to make them so angry'. I started watching and watching and watched highlights on a monday night and just started getting into it and just got drawn to Liverpool. Didnt understand any off-field history but just felt like it was the club for me.

When it really sunk in was just after Istanbul when i was 12 at the time and being young i thought 'one goal early, one in the 70th and one late on and we're back in this'. In my head i knew it was a big task but when we actually did it i was ecstatic to the point where i couldnt sit down and from then on it really kicked in and never looked back.

The fact i hated Scum before and after i started supporting Liverpool is just a coincidence ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2009 05:56:18 am

The fact I hated Scum before and after I started supporting Liverpool is just a coincidence ;)

The hate of Scum is in our bloodstream as much as the Love of Liverpool ;)
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2009 06:16:15 am
      My relationship started with Liverpool in 2005 when i was 12. I watched a few Socceroos games and fell in love with football when Australia played Uruguay to qualify for the World Cup. Prior to this, I hated football. I started to think about club games and teams and a decision had to be made.

It was a decision between Harry Kewell's side (Liverpool) and Schwarzer's side (Middlesborough). At this point i had no idea of that great night in Istanbul. The decision was made with a simple, yet life-changing cointoss. Liverpool came out on top and then began the researching and learning what this club is all about.

Sums up much of my experiences with Liverpool:

Ive had fights with parents, girlfriends etc who say that its just a game, its not important, theres no excuse for bad language when you lose to Manure.. they just dont understand the love between a fan and Liverpool FC. There really is nothing else like it :D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2009 06:56:54 am
      I pretty much supported Liverpool my whole life my Dad was from liverpool and supported liverpool so it was pretty easy to choose my team but I never realised how special this club is until istanbul.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Jun 21, 2009 09:23:00 am
      Loving this thread DLS.

I'm pretty similar to most Liverpool based fans. I was more or less born into it. Obviously there's a story behind it all so I'll offer a bit of insight.

I remember mentioning that my Grandad used to play in goal for the army and then, to some extent, for Tranmere Rovers back in the day. During his time with the army, they wouldn't let him go home as he was apparently that good for them. Anyway, I only learned this at his funeral, but Everton came in for him at the peak of his powers (bearing in mind that they were one of the 'richest clubs' in the world back then) and offered him trials. Being the mad Liverpudlian he was, he told them to do one. :D

My Grandad was a season ticket holder for many years, in the Kemlyn, and only gave it up late in the 90's. He was getting too old to go and none of us could afford to take it on. Don't I regret it now? ::)

Moving on somewhat, when I was in Malta last, my Uncle was telling me stories of his trip to Rome in '77 on the Trans Alpino. I'm sure a few of us have read Here We Go Gathering Cups In May. His story was much like this, a few years before the book came out so I'm assuming everyone who went has a story like his, which I love. One little snippet was when they stopped off at some station on the way. A worker there must have seen the £ signs as he was waiting on the platform with a trolley full of crates of lager. Sure enough, there was a crowd around him. One crate got swiped, and the man, in a desperate attempt to claw back some profits, chased the thirsty thief. Unawares that the whole trolley was being carted onto the train by the rest of the crowd. :D

Another Uncle was at the match with my other Grandad when we last won the league. At the end, there's the usual madness and the photographers were piling onto the pitch. My Uncle, who'd obviously pre-empted the freak occurrence that was about to happen (not us winning the league by the way :D) had brought his camera. I mean a downright 80's camera, not a throw away or a little Kodak. When it all went off anyways, he went to the front and started snapping a few pics, and someone ushered him onto the pitch where all the official photographers were going. Not a bad memory from our last league title. You actually see him on the TV coverage getting edged onto the pitch, all surprised. :D

Moving on to my transition from kid to Kopite then. :) As a child, I used to plonk myself down in front of the telly at the weekend and just watch the footy. No-one ever told me who I was supposed to be watching. I just knew it was the team called Liverpool. However, as DLS mentioned, I never really grasped the enormity of it until later on. My Dad was at Hillsborough on that tragic day, and he just stopped going the games regularly after that, so I only really started going when my older brother could afford to go too. I did have some experience of Anfield however. My Grandad, while I was still very young, was a Pools agent for the club. And being the blag artist that was my Grandad, we always ended up in the stadium. I remember looking around, knowing how special it was and how much I loved being there. That memory with my late Grandad will live with me forever.

The only comparison I could give you is that Liverpool Football Club is that it's like the partner you know that you're with for life. You couldn't really tell the nailed on point you fell in love with them. You endure the rough times and enjoy the good times, but you know for a fact that no matter how much they can hurt you and upset you, they'll always be there for you and you'll always be there for them.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Jun 21, 2009 09:24:41 am
       My Dad first took me to Anfield in 1947 which was the first season that football resumed after the second world war.Now in those days i liked nothing better than listening to my Dad re minice about players he had seen play for L.F.C so i suppose it was only natural that the REDS would be the only club for me.I can still feel the excitement at seeing the great Billy Liddell,Albert Stubbins,Bill Jones,Phil Taylor and that servant of ours Bob Paisley.When we came home from school we would normally play football in the street and most kids wanted to be Billy Liddell,(why would you not want to be the great man.I consider myself to have a very fortunate man having seen so many great players wear the RED of Liverpool Football Club,also I was glad that my Dad lived long enough to see the REDS win the F.A.Cup for the first time in 1965.He died in October that year.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #14: Jun 21, 2009 11:36:12 am
      Ok showing my age was the 65 cup final against Leeds that did it for me.Was 5.Before the glory years.So no jumping on the band wagon for me.Son followed suit.His first game was the last match of the season againts Newcastle.About 11 years ago Michael Owen scored 3.Its a generation thing now.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #15: Jun 21, 2009 12:01:02 pm
      As a young lad growing up there was a lot of Irish playing for Liverpool. Id say that would be the main reason because most of my family support the Manc's. My father tried to make me change sides and even said to my mother "Ill disowned that little bollocks if he doesn't change". NO CHANCE.

There was something special about this club that to this day, probably made it the the most important thing in my life.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2009 12:02:35 pm
      I think this love affair with Liverpool started back in 1990 when I was 11 years old. Right then, Liverpool has won their 18th and last league title in 1989 but that didn't made me excited to support them...past 2 or 3 years I just followed them without ever being in love with them but cum 1993 when Manure started to dominate the PL and lots of us in Malaysia going nuts about them, then my passion for Liverpool started to blossom. I mean I'm not like most of them, I like being the odd one. While 9 out of 10 psycho were deluded scum sucking fans, I was the only one rooting for Liverpool. I was like the mockery of every single manure fans, for not being able to win the league and to beat them. But it didn't bother me that much because in the end I knew they were far from catching up on us. It felt like hell whenever we didn't win the league or failing to defeat the scum yet again but I knew someday we'll be back in again.
      19 years passed by and comparing both the clubs, I know we're not equally that great during the 1990-2000 seasons, but it didn't bother me because here in Malaysia I knew (and surely Ad will agree with me) we Liverpool supporters here are in different league compared to them bas***ds. Firstly, we supports our club wholeheartedly, eventhough here we didn't know most of the songs except for the YWNA but compared us to them, i think they didn't even knew any single songs manure had or even their crap mascot. Even most of the girls rooting for Liverpool because it's Liverpool, not because of somebody. If you ask the manure supporting girls, the only thing they knew was Beckham or maybe Ronaldo. Other than that, zero knowledge!
      2005 was my best moment ever(before the 2008/09 season) when we won the Champions League with our very average side compared to what the scum had, and yet we won it with Rafa very first season in charge(something Fergie couldn't do). 1999 they mocked us how great their team was coming from behind to win their 3rd cup but 2005 we finally won our 5th and deservedly kept their much coveted 3rd cup.
      It will be no different from 1990 when I started to watch them play till the day I die. My blood will still be red of Liverpool, my heart will still pumping in the passion, my veins will carry on the spirit of Shankly, Paisley, Houllier and Rafa combined while my soul will always ignite the justice of those 96 important people who lost their lives doing what they did best...LOVING LIVERPOOL FC!
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 21, 2009 12:06:39 pm
      Like all of you I can't think of a time I wasn't a Red (think I have OCD for LFC too) great reading everyones stories mine's a bit boring I'm afraid

older brother supported the Reds (we lived in Liverpool in the 70s - but had to move to Newcastle where my Mum was from as my Dad passed away) anyway I was about 5/6 when I just knew it was my team and have loved it ever since.  We all know it's a great club with a philosophy that outshines any other in the PL especially the Chavs and Mancs.  hHave Had to watch more matches live on telly for a number of years but when I can get 'home' to Anfield I jump at the chance...guess you'd call me an OOT er but I'm a passionate one!

Love it and will always be MY club!!!   ;D

YNWA
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jun 21, 2009 02:08:45 pm
      my religion from birth
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Jun 21, 2009 03:06:52 pm
      The only comparison I could give you is that Liverpool Football Club is that it's like the partner you know that you're with for life. You couldn't really tell the nailed on point you fell in love with them. You endure the rough times and enjoy the good times, but you know for a fact that no matter how much they can hurt you and upset you, they'll always be there for you and you'll always be there for them.

Found myself nodding and smiling while reading this. Truer words have never been spoken.
      rbrtom
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 21, 2009 03:09:41 pm
      I fell in love with Liverpool at the age of 8 in 2003 my dad took me to the kop to watch the pool take on newcastle. I cant remember the result but i loved watching liverpool and in particular Didi hamman i loved watching him steam into tackles winning the ball and sending liverpool off onto another attack then watching Owen slide one in right in front of the kop it was amazing. after the game i headed back to huyton, i asked my dad to tell me everything about Liverpool F.C he explained the history the horrors of heysel and hillsborough the liverpool way as it was called. I fell in love with this its loyalty and the way we all looked after each other like a big family. now at just turned 14 i think this has been said but cut me open and i really do bleed liverpool red. when i moved away from huyton across the pennines to scunthorpe. we go on all the liverpool European ties we go to anfield, at home, Celtic park, camp nou Stamford bridge and the San siro and i can honestly say no atmosphere beats anfield, anfield on  the European nights especially when we gutted Chelsea in 2005 that was spellbinding, its absolutely amazing singing you'll never walk alone and the fields of anfield road makes my blood boil. the liverpool way IS just the right way bar none, we have a boss laugh in the kop, Jesus the personalities just makes me crack up.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2009 03:10:30 pm
      Like a lot of people, I was born into it, my dad supported them so from a young age I've always said 'I support Liverpool' but only when i was 13/14 did i really get into it and know what it truely meant. I began to watch more and more games and I think Istanbul really helped confirm my love for them. I watch every game now and love to find out as much information about the club as possible. My admiration for Steven Gerrard in particular has also helped me support and love Liverpool even more. They are a part of my life and I will always support them!
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 21, 2009 03:11:20 pm
      My father supported Liverpool, His father supported Liverpool, His father supported Liverpool, His father Supported Liverpool. Im pretty sure the was only ever one club i was going to follow. ;D

Quick Reply