Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41040 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #23: Jun 21, 2009 03:36:53 pm
      Wasn't born into it, literally no one in my family likes football at all. The reason I ended up supporting Liverpool was actually Michael Owen, the first ever match I saw was England vs Argentina in 98 and well when I seen Owen's goal I was officially hooked, and needed more and more
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #24: Jun 21, 2009 04:02:16 pm
      The only comparison I could give you is that Liverpool Football Club is that it's like the partner you know that you're with for life. You couldn't really tell the nailed on point you fell in love with them. You endure the rough times and enjoy the good times, but you know for a fact that no matter how much they can hurt you and upset you, they'll always be there for you and you'll always be there for them.

Very poignant, and very true.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Jun 21, 2009 04:52:28 pm
      I don't really know if i had it handed down to me sort of thing. No one else in my family apart from the old man likes football and although he is a red he is also a very passionate supporter of Sliema Wanderers as that was his local team when he was growing up. I was born in Liverpool and my dad used to tell me about the club and i knew that from what i was hearing it was to be Liverpool for me even though i was very young. I think that when you become a red you just know that this is the club for you and that could be why our fans are the best around and show so much support and passion (bar the plastics obviously).
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 21, 2009 05:22:26 pm
      My dad was a semipro footballer, and he had trials with the scum, but damaged cartilage, so ended his playing career. So when I was brought into the world, my dad wanted to call me Diego after Maradona (thankfully he did not, as Diego Morrison sounds a bit ridiculous)

So I was brought into a football loving family. Sadly, my dad is a Chelsea supporter, because his favourite player of all time was Peter Osgood. He even bought his little 3 year old son a brand new Chelsea shirt.

Thank god my godmother was a die hard red. The day she seen me playing in garden with it on, she came over, took it off me, and berated my father. The next day, I had the full Liverpool kit, home and away.

But the day I really began to love Liverpool, was the FA Cup Final against the scum in 1995/6 (I'm unsure the year) I have never felt so much emotion in a game before, and when Cantona scored that goal that won them the game, I was devastated, truly inconsolable. That was the day my heart was Liverpool FC's.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #27: Jun 21, 2009 07:14:00 pm
      I first started supporting liverpool in the Shankly days before they got promoted to divison one ( talking 1960's here ) and you may think it's strange especially as I am born and bred in Leeds ,I loved the style and attitude of the team and Shanks's method of bringing the club into the high profile of first division football ,Liverpool supporters aren't as fickle as lots of teams in that ,if we have a bad season ...they still support the team no matter what ,as the song goes ...walk on through the rain ! great post this DLS  !
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #28: Jun 21, 2009 07:17:58 pm
      There's a lot of excellent posts on this thread, and a lot of people seem to know exactly when and why their love for Liverpool began.

I must not have as good a memory as everyone else, because I can't give you a date, an age or a match that was a trigger. My dad liked watching football but wasn't a fan, no-one in my family or friends was a Liverpool supporter. That being said, even searching back to my earliest memories, I can only ever remember loving one club, our club.

I don't know if my favourite colour is red because of Liverpool, or Liverpool playing in red made me choose them. It can't be that simple surely, many other clubs play in red, but I had a strong dislike to Manchester United and Arsenal from an equally early age. I don't know what factors help make a decision in a child's mind, but they must have been the right ones as I'm still a fan today.

I remember bugging my mum for my first kit for Christmas, but my dad had been on the dole for a good while and they couldn't afford it. I think it must have been between 1982-1985, the kit I never had. They went to the local market and got me a cheap kit with a sew on badge that had Liverpool written on it. Instead of being disappointed I was over the moon! :D I had a football kit with Liverpool written on it, it was enough and I was proud as you like.

The years went past and my love continued and grew. I had the kits, I read Shoot magazine and had posters plastered all over my walls, you couldn't even see the walls anymore! :D I read books on the history of the club and the great managers of the past, I got all the merchandise I could. I remember buyng the Anfield Rap single and justifying to my mates how great it was, I had a little agenda where I could write all our fixtures as well as the line-ups, substitutes and goal scorers. It was my life, literally, and whilst I have many other adult priorities today it's like the love one has for a member of one's family, it doesn't fade but grows stronger.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #29: Jun 21, 2009 07:39:03 pm
      I am from malta , so I was not born in it, I liked footbal in general  BUT mostly I liked watching english football on match of the day ,which was transmitted on the following teusday on national tv (talking in the earlly 70's here )  as can be noted (70's) most of the time it would be the LIVERPOOL game that was screened as match of the day , apart from all the goals  from the other games , I started hearing the bbc on the radio on saturdays live matches , and without really knowing I always looked for the LIVERPOOL result first even in  the papers . that started it really
       I became a LIVERPOOL fc  fanatic  and proud of it

@ king kenny.as you mentioned that your dad supported Sliema wanderers , was he maltese  or worked in malta .sorry for asking but i was curious coming from malta
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #30: Jun 21, 2009 08:33:29 pm
      1. Dad bought me the Adidas home kit with the big white v-neck at the age of 5, followed by the kits during the seasons after. Automatically connected myself with the club.

2. Michael Owen - F***ing loved him. My childhood idol.

3. Started playing football for a team as a centre back/Hyypia joined Liverpool, similar style of play to me and I further loved the club (fairly childish reasons I guess these).

I followed Liverpool up to a teenager, but it was never an extreme love.

Then came Istanbul - Doesn't really need explaining, as a 13 year old it was just a magnificent experience. This, followed by the dramatic 2006 F.A Cup final confirmed my love for the club.

I am a lad of phases though, and I admit I lost some interest in the sport - music took over my life, I was fixated with it for a year or two. However, it's by far become my biggest interest since the start of the 2007-2008 season following the transfer of Fernando Torres. I was in a pub in Spain watching us against Aston Villa when Gerrard scored that incredible free kick and all of a sudden it all came back to me. I must also thank this forum as it has actually confirmed too the greatness of football discussion, particularly about things concerned with this club. It's a real pleasure to hear different people's opinions and views on everything.

Now that I have matured and I have came to appreciate both football as a sport and all things associated with the club - I know for definate that Liverpool will be a huge part of me for the rest of my lifetime.

There's so much more that I could have wrote about but I've basically summed up some of the main reasons!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #31: Jun 21, 2009 08:50:11 pm
      My dad was a semipro footballer, and he had trials with the scum, but damaged cartilage, so ended his playing career. So when I was brought into the world, my dad wanted to call me Diego after Maradona (thankfully he did not, as Diego Morrison sounds a bit ridiculous)

So I was brought into a football loving family. Sadly, my dad is a Chelsea supporter, because his favourite player of all time was Peter Osgood. He even bought his little 3 year old son a brand new Chelsea shirt.

Thank god my godmother was a die hard red. The day she seen me playing in garden with it on, she came over, took it off me, and berated my father. The next day, I had the full Liverpool kit, home and away.

But the day I really began to love Liverpool, was the FA Cup Final against the scum in 1995/6 (I'm unsure the year) I have never felt so much emotion in a game before, and when Cantona scored that goal that won them the game, I was devastated, truly inconsolable. That was the day my heart was Liverpool FC's.

Good story that mate and it was the 96 cup final when we lost to United. The year of the ice cream man suits. After me own tears only a few months earlier, I was desperate for us to win at Wembley although as we now know, it wasn't to be. Mainly down to the fact that we had about six defenders and James on the goal line and still couldn't stop the shot.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #32: Jun 21, 2009 09:03:01 pm
      Obviously my dad is a red and red has always been my favourite colour so there was only going to be one outcome.

But I remember very clearly when it dawned on me that I had a big love for Liverpool. It was the day of the 1984 European Cup final. My mum was heavily pregnant so there had only been one thing dominating the issues in our family, but on that day all I could think of was what it will feel like when we win that big massive trophy with the big handles! I couldn't comprehend us not winning it. It didn't make sense.

While I was initially confused as to how I could be more concerned about a football game rather than whether my mum was going to give birth at any given moment, I began to embrace this new feeling that had got a grip on me.

As we all know, that game went the total distance. And I'd never felt nerves like it before - it was an indication of things to come!

My mum had made a few butties and got some fizzy drinks in for the occasion. The windows were decorated with red and white paper links and there was a big LFC poster in the main window of the living room. Me and my dad pulled the couch away from the wall and had it right up close to the telly - this very rarely happened unless there was something of huge importance on the telly!!

When it went to pens, it was the first and only time that I felt I wasn't physically and mentally able to watch any live LFC - which I'm still pretty disgusted at to be honest but in all fairness, it was all new to me. I walked out into the back garden and there was a weird airy silence. I stood there with my hands on my head listening out for a reaction from within the house. But, standing out there on my own was horrible and I felt I had to be with my family and be a part of the action with everyone else! I couldn't bottle out.

I ran back in and just missed Nicol missing his pen. It was a bad feeling. I felt by deserting my family and the reds, I had jinxed it. Later on in life I've thought if I'd stayed in the back garden then I probably would have jinxed it! But thank god I went back in. I would have missed the infamous Grobbelaar spaghetti legs!

Brucie, Neal, Souness, Rush and Kennedy made sure we got that big trophy though. And I was relieved and ecstatic that I'd kept my nerve and was there to will the red men on to the very end - no matter what the ending result was. From the moment me and my dad were jumping all over the living room in joy - not even sparing a thought for the nerves of my poor heavily pregnant mum - I was well aware that I was hooked for life.

And it wasn't so much because of the occasion. Nor because of the triumph. It was the togetherness that I felt when I went back in the house. I knew I was part of an extended family - that's the only way I can describe it.

Next game of the new season I think we played Norwich? I was glued to the radio. And I've been glued to LFC ever since.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #33: Jun 21, 2009 09:10:29 pm
      Kenny mate what a horrible story, letting your poor mam make you the sarnies when she's heavily pregnant. What kind of bloke does that? Tut tut :laugh:

But I'm sure all us Liverpool fans are glad you came in from the back yard. ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2009 09:13:08 pm
      I carried them in mate.  ;D

And yeah, you's can all thank me for that European Cup!!  ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2009 09:14:12 pm

I would have come round to yours for that game, but youz had no little sausage rolls. ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #36: Jun 21, 2009 09:16:33 pm

Awwwww, always knew you was a gent ;D

Next banner on the Kop
      RK

;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Jun 21, 2009 09:20:05 pm
      I would have come round to yours for that game, but youz had no little sausage rolls. ;)

Good job as well because you wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the game!  ;)

Awwwww, always knew you was a gent ;D

Next banner on the Kop
      RK

;)

:lmao: I like it!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Jun 21, 2009 09:43:26 pm

@ king kenny.as you mentioned that your dad supported Sliema wanderers , was he maltese  or worked in malta .sorry for asking but I was curious coming from malta

No worries. He's Maltese.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2009 10:20:48 pm
      Michael Owen.  I saw him against Argentina and then saw him in a Liverpool shirt and thought - wow.  I proclaimed to be a LFC fan in 2003 at age of 10 but didn't really know all the players, history etc by 2007.  I was really disappointed when we lost 2-1 to Milan in the CL final but still had a passion for Liverpool which just keeps growing, and the Rafalution is certainly taking shape, with more quality players such as Torres, Mascherano, Xabi, Reina etc coming in.  Just can't wait for that elusive PL trophy.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2009 10:51:36 pm
      Ok showing my age was the 65 cup final against Leeds that did it for me.Was 5.Before the glory years.So no jumping on the band wagon for me..

The first team I was taken to see was Ipswich at Portman Road. My parents were moving between Liverpool and Suffolk. The first game was Ipswich and the all star 1962 Tottenham team.
      Despite all that there was a team who had just won the Second Division (Championship). No jumping on the bandwagon either!
      The badge was a red Liver Bird on a big white oval badge.
      This was the team I wanted to support.

I knew how much I loved the club when my parents and I flew out to Australia on May 1st 1965.
      I missed the Cup Final that afternoon.
      I was at 30,000 feet when the game was being played at Wembly.
      The Qantas jet I was on lifted another 10,000 feet when the Captain announced the Final Score over the PA and a little scally shouted YEH! through the whole plane.

We came back and I lived at Prescot. From 1967 on I was in the Kop every Saturday. It was my life.

Even though I left the 'Pool a few years later my blood ran RED.

Ive cried uncontrollably over Hillsborough.

I have experienced every emotional imaginable over the years.

Joy, laughter, tension, elation, frustration and despair.

I have sung YNWA that at times has made my eyes well.

My two boys are Reds.

I may walk this planet only once...the Reds are woven in the tapestry of my life.

I was born lucky.

TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #41: Jun 21, 2009 11:22:59 pm
      Tradition.

Family comes from Kirkby (dad's side) and Wavetree/Dovecot (Mums Side) and it's a case my great great grandparents from both sides were all passionate liverpudlians and it werent a case of either red or blue at birth, we were all born reds in my family, and its how it will stay, even though my gf's side are mostly evertonian.

Liverpool as a club and its traditions are instilled in liverpudlian society, the "liverpool way" is a way of life that affects everyone born and raised in this city, even evertonians, but because it is the natural way of life, we dont think to much of it, its just the "way" life is in this city.

The club, traditions, way of life, supporters, history, everything embriddled in the passionate red liverbird contribute to how many generations of people like myself are raised, its as big as religion is some households, including mine, and im a christian, but the club and its way of life are up there with my religion, because it is a way of life., and a damn good way to live.

Ironically, my first game, I was 2 years old, last day of the season, me, my dad and my uncle, main stand....

........Liverpool 0 - 2 Arsenal
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: Jun 22, 2009 01:14:40 am
      I was born and have grown up in Belfast. My brother is 7 years older than me and he has always supported Liverpool. He has told me in the past, that when he started to watch football at the age of 6, Liverpool were the most successful team and that is probably why he started supporting Liverpool. My Dad, incidently, has been a lifelong Chelsea fan- for what reason I don't no. Manys of time he has tried to convert me and my bro to being a Chelsea fan- he has even tried to take me to a few games and he constantly buys me Chelsea merchandise but I was never having any of it. I think I kind of looked up to my older bro and, as you do when your young, copy the person you looked up to. I remember a good few years back, probably around 1995, watching a Liverpool match (either a friendly or a UEFA cup match) and I think we might have drawn. But I watched it with my bro and he got me sucked into all the emotion of supporting the Reds and I have never looked back. I would have been about 4/5 at that time. Since then, and anyone who has ever known me could back this up, Liverpool have been my life and Football has been my religion.

EDIT: My Mum has just shown me a pic of me from when i was 1 and a half years old, sitting in the garden wearing a Liverpool Shirt. So i was a Liverpool fan a lot younger than what i thought ;D
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #43: Jun 22, 2009 08:12:06 am
      Though i do come from a long line of Reds and had stood on the Kop loads of times before i was about ten, i started going the match as a 'second nature' with me mates dad and his mates when i was 12 years old. Once you are old enough to realise what its all about there really is no place like Anfield. From the moment wed park up at 'The Spion Kop' pub on St Domingo rd and walk up towards the ground id get the chills of excitement down my spine and i still get it today.
      I used to remember getting there early and just being in awe of the place and in them days you could catch a glimpse of all the cups that had been won from the trophy room window behind the Main Stand' old Big Ears ' standing proud next to the league trophy.
      Its been my life for over 35 years now and through the good and bad times i love it all and nothing will EVER change that. ;)
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #44: Jun 22, 2009 08:27:26 am
      When I was younger I never had a passion for anything in life really ... I liked doing certain thing but I was never passionate about it . I felt that something was missing ... a felt well ... empty . How I stared to love Liverpol ... At first I never had a hardcore passion but I did have some liking as I liked the bealtes ( so I got to know where they came from and stuff ) alot and my also bro liked Liverpool F.C ( but he was never passionate like I am) but I never got to watch any games as we did not have any acess to English football ( I was living in US at that time and my partents aren't intrested in football ) BUt then aftter I came to India ..I watched more game and fell in love immidiately , I even remember crying to my mom beggeing her to take me to Liverpool to see a game . It may not have been handed down from genertion to genation like some of you guys here and going to Anfeld when you were young , but like all of you I was born to be to be a Liverpool supporter and it run through my veins and now I love it so much and it means alot to me .
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #45: Jun 22, 2009 11:29:22 am
      When I was young my house only had one TV. I would often get to bed pretty late even when I was 5 or 6, the reason was being I enjoyed watching cartoons. Unfortunately, there was only one TV and most of the cartoon programmes I liked was aired on Saturday nights. Often enough, I will be sitting on the couch watching cartoons, and my dad beside me, doing his best to snatch away the remote control.

Often we would have a deal in which we would ration the time each of us was allowed to watch the channel we wanted. Therefore, it was like every 5 minutes etc whereby I would change channels from the football channels to my cartoons. Most of the time I would just continue sitting on the couch while my dad gets on watching at his footy, and pretty bored I was.. I also started to watch.. albeit with very little interest.

Then world cup came, and I was 7 then and then my dad got me absolutely hyped up on it. He was cheering for England and there I was, watching Michael Owen terrorising defences and there I went.." Dad.. Which club does Owen play for??"

"Liverpool." came the reply. As my dad was a Liverpool fan, he talked to me about the history of Liverpool etc and what a fantastic player Owen was. I used to go to my granny's house every weekday.. and my uncle would be there telling me stories about Liverpool FC as well.. It was then I got hooked up onto this club.. and to this day it seems like a love affair.

Unfortunately due to bad grades, my dad cancelled my subscription for the sake of my studies. And therefore I was deprieved of watching Liverpool from the 04-04 season to the 06-07 season. However I still catched the champions league matches, especially Istanbul etc because it was on the free-to-air channels..

I was always curious with the computers, one day the papers recommended www.myp2p.eu to watch free footy and there I went. :)

Streaming to this day ;)

Oh Yeah, I forgot, when I entered primary school there was this fat ass who liked Liverpool. Often enough he showed me his football cards in school, bossing to me about the players he has had collected. Being young then.. I still remember buying a Fabian Barthez card from him.. and then as I thought that the scum jersey looked decent, I went to buy a fake kit, and a real one! Yes that was the immature me and I'm not ashamed to admit it, I would rather prefer to think that I survived so many years wearing a manc kit, but still emerging as a Liverpool fan :)
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009 02:06:20 pm by redsonfire »

Quick Reply