Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41032 times
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #207: Jan 26, 2011 09:30:20 am
      For me it was the late 70s and I was growing up in Exeter - I had just received a "hand-me-down" Hitachi LFC shirt (itchy as F**k!) and my uncle (an ECFC fan) took me to a pre-season friendly; exeter city vs liverpool. Liverpool won 9-1 and i was in an LFC shirt excited by all the goals. My support was either going to lie with Exeter or Liverpool...........
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #208: Jan 26, 2011 01:29:24 pm
      I have my uncle and two of my cousins to thank for my induction to everything Liverpool !
      My dad was a Manc fan and as such in the late 60's was revelling in the European cup glory and how well they'd done in the 10yrs since Munich.
      so I had a lot to overcome, my first recollection of a liverpool game was of the '71 cup final loss to the Arsebut since then most of my memories have been happy ones as I said earlier my uncle and 2 cousins got me into them and my 1st match was an away game at Bramall Lane against Sheff utd (we lost and they vowed not to take me again !) but I was hooked....

P.S. by the way Carheex, my wifes from Exeter and follows them avidly from afar (as we live in Luxembourg)!
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #209: Jan 26, 2011 02:09:29 pm
      First match I saw on TV in America (no joke) was the 2005 Champions League Final when I was 12 years old. I kept the match on while I did my homework, saw the miracle that was, and just was hooked ever since.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #210: Jan 26, 2011 03:32:27 pm
      My story is pretty much like most of them here,
      My dad is a red his dad was..ect....
      I do think it strange considering My elder brother (1st born) Turned out to be a blue, where as I Became a red, I say that as though I had a choice but I didnt, as far as Iam concerned I was born a red and shall proudly die a red too.
      I was born in Fazacaly (sp) hostpital in Liverpool, Lived in Scotland road for my early years, and my first memory of knowing I surported Liverpool I was at the albert dock with my dad in 1985-86 or so,Not being a huge red or football fan at that time, and we were just walking round veiwing the sights, (alot different back then than it is now :P) and My dad said to me "look son....Yan molby" Being 5-6 at the time I knew him as the guy who's sticker I had in my merlin collection and was very proud of (think it was merlin back then?) my dad being a little more excited than me seeing him, They chatted a bit and he shook my hand, gave me a smile and went off.
      And then that was it, Not just Yan, but the club itself, I read as much as a kid at my age could about them, no interweb back then mostly Annuals...(geeze showing my age now).
      I refused to wear blue, and anything red wasnt just red it was "Liverpool Red".
      My brother tried to turn me pleanty of times but I stuck to my heart and my heart was red.
      Sadly for my bro, there's only him and one uncle of mine that surport the blues......The rest of us have always been and will always be Liverpool :)

Some great stories here :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #211: Jan 26, 2011 05:10:17 pm
      I love Liverpool football club. I love Liverpool town. I love Liverpudlians, especially the women   . I love Anfield. I love King Kenny. I love Shanks and Bob and Joe. I love Fowler, Molby, Hughes, Kennedy, Moran, Yeats, Byrne, Clem and Smith 

I love the Beatles. I love youll never walk alone. I love Cains bitter. I love the Liver bird

And nothing will ever change that ever
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #212: Jan 26, 2011 05:11:13 pm
      ^ So, you didn't mean to post that in the Liverpool vs Fulham thread :P
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #213: Jan 26, 2011 05:43:53 pm
      Started supporting the club fairly recently (a few years ago - though it feels like a lifetime, in a good way), when my cousin asked me to give football a try  :D
      Watched a couple of teams, had a soft spot for Arsenal's style, but somehow, Liverpool drew me in.
      This club, more than any other, made me want to learn about its history, its legendary players, and I fell in love with the whole atmosphere of passion and unyielding support that is LFC. :)
      And nope, no looking back since then!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #214: Jan 28, 2011 09:57:40 pm
      I was born in Ashton U Lyne, Lancs, before it became part of "greater manchester"

Half my family support city, and the other half utd.

My aunty used to work at maine road, and got us tickets all the time - my first match was city v Liverpool in 73/74, a 1-1 if I remember right.

Thing is, I had to go in the Platt Lane end, which had loads of Liverpool fans who had got tickets outside.

I was sat in the middly of about 100 of them - the singing, the banter and the sheer LOVE was something which awed and inspired me.

I've supported Liverpool since that day, which led to some tough times at school, quite a few fights, and a strengthening of resolve.

Strangely enough, my first LFC home game was the same year against city (more free aunty tickets) and I think we won that one 4-0 - but it was the most amazing experience of my life.

I used to go to city, oldham and LFC, as well as Glossop, Hyde and ashton utd - you could say I became a footy fanatic, but Anfield was the place I wanted to go at every opportunity, and surprisingly enough, I managed it quite regularly.

37 years and counting.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #215: Jan 29, 2011 02:39:27 pm
      If anyone is ever on my Facebook, you'll often find me having a big proper long debate with an Arsenal fan on any football matter. It was actually his younger brother that inroduced me to Liverpool when their mam used to babysit me when I was a kid.

It was around 94-95-96 and Robbie Fowler was the man. I can remember being told how Liverpool were the greatest club in the country, how no-one could touch then. This is what done it for me. And how Fowler couldn't stop scoring ;)
      Even when I was still young, I remember battling against Houllier and how Evans should be just giving the role on his own, but was proven wrong a few seasons later! :)

It wasen't until around I was around 11-12 though that I really knew about Liverpool, the history, the tradition, everything that went with the club. It is an addiction. It's true what they say, you don't find Liverpool. Liverpool finds you.
      plz-be-top4
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #216: Jan 31, 2011 07:01:29 pm
      07/08 Season ... Became a fan of Stevie, Nando, Anfield and Liverpool.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #217: Jan 31, 2011 08:32:41 pm
      Love it , everyone in our house has gone mental.. my wife is moanin on about the wages there all on and how she's gonna miss baby face Torres and blames the fact he got rid of his "lovely" blond hair for his drop in form this season !! WTF !!
      All my eldest lad is interested in is whether you can tear off/remove the number 9 and Torres off the back of his new away top (cost me £50 that did :f_wah:)..my other little lad just sat there smug with his Reina top on ;D.oh and he's ripped down anything from his bedroom wall with Torres on it , scrapped off his face on his brew mug and then immediately updated his FIFA 11 teams on the PS3  :roll:
      I've been restless all day , flicking SSN on/off , texting our kid in Liverpool for any scouse gossip , surfing the web for any updates . its been one mad day I can tell you...and there's still two and half hours to go before deadline...
      One things for sure , after yours truly spoke from the heart to my two boys about wearing the shirt with pride and how they both need to forget about Torres and to focus on what Kenny is building they are still as proud as punch to be supporters of Liverpool FC and are now even more excited about Sundays showdown than ever !!
      I NEED A DRINK !! :P
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #218: Feb 01, 2011 09:07:40 am
      LFC History, our former sponsor Carlsberg looked awesome on our shirts! The 07-08 season (where i started following football seriously), Torres :( and Gerrard :).
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #219: Feb 01, 2011 09:20:46 pm
      I'm a New Zealander born and bred (if the flag to the left wasn't a dead giveaway ;D) but my Dad worked for a high court judge after reading law at Uni (mid-70s).  While serving he had to join said judge on the circuit courts mostly around Liverpool.  

Dad lodged with a Liverpool family there (actually with a guy who worked with Gerry Marsden pre-Gerry and the Pacemakers) where he was given a baptism by fire on LFC.  He has been supporting ever since.  I group up watching Liverpool matches with him and my future son will do the same.
      bradders
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • since I was knee high to a grasshopper!
      Reply #220: Feb 01, 2011 10:50:48 pm
      i have no idea why I started Liverpool, I was only about 3! :laugh:  Everyone near where I live either supported Leeds Utd or Hull City (being the local team) but even at such a tender age I obviously knew class when I saw it. :-*  I used to pester my parents to let me watch the on the tv or listen to them on the radio and this got worse as I got older  ;)  When I was allowed to go to bed at 8pm or 9pm it would be 'can I stay up?  I promise I'll get up for school in the morning.'  I kept my word because I knew that if I didn't I'd miss lots of footage.  My mum and dad watched numerous Liverpool matches because of me.
      LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #221: Feb 01, 2011 10:57:12 pm
      Think the main question for this thread should be why not?!

Someone try answering it? Bet no-one can.  ;D
      Jase31
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #222: Feb 02, 2011 12:15:23 pm
      1990 was the year that got me on the raod to being a LFC supporter. My whole family are big Leeds fans (booooo ;D) but my mum has always liked Liverpool, so when i was in need of a football kit for school she went out and bought me the Liverpool home kit and it just stuck from there. I had to grow up being teased by my family and friends while they also tried to get me to follow Leeds by taking me to games etc but i never enjoyed it because i had a red heart and always will.

lfcgirl9
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      • In King Kenny We Trust.
      Reply #223: Feb 06, 2011 01:04:27 am
      It just kinda happened...

My whole family support Arsenal and always have done, until I came along that is. Yep, I'm a traitor to them and have to sleep in the shed haha.

When I started primary school my friends either supported Arsenal or Chelsea so I had a little flirt with both of them (yuck) and Liverpool. Don't know why Liverpool were in the possible teams as none of my friends supported them but they were. I wanted to get a football shirt so had to tell mum what one, I wanted a Liverpool one. Michael Owen came along, I fell in love with him and had him on the back of my second Liverpool shirt. From here on there has only been the one Football Club to me.

My dad does support Liverpool but I don't see him, I could just have Liverpool in my blood  ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #224: Feb 06, 2011 01:13:50 am
      I was chosen. ;)
      lfcgirl9
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      • In King Kenny We Trust.
      Reply #225: Feb 06, 2011 01:25:36 am
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #226: Mar 17, 2012 06:08:50 pm
      Been a while since this thread was used, so given the amount of new people we have posting - would any of you be kind enough to share your reasons for loving Liverpool Football Club?
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #227: Mar 17, 2012 06:49:51 pm
      Ok being a" newbie" here,but a life long red,my time of following the reds started with the 1965 cup final.
      So was there before we became an even greater club than we were at the time.

It has become a huge part of my life,and hard to explain to the "ordinary" people why it means so much.
      Have had a house called Anfield and a cat called Dalgleish so guess I'm hooked,or to the laymean stupid,but who cares.  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #228: Mar 17, 2012 08:09:17 pm
      Ok being a" newbie" here,but a life long red,my time of following the reds started with the 1965 cup final.

It has become a huge part of my life,and hard to explain to the "ordinary" people why it means so much.
      Have had a house called Anfield and a cat called Dalgleish so guess I'm hooked,or to the laymean stupid,but who cares.  ;D
      Welcome to the forum mate and good on ya.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #229: Mar 17, 2012 08:12:50 pm

Welcome mate.. And don't worry we get you..  :)

Quick Reply