Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

R.I.P Steve 'Air' McNair

Read 3397 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      R.I.P Steve 'Air' McNair
      Jul 05, 2009 11:48:47 am
      NFL star McNair found shot dead

Recently retired American football star Steve "Air" McNair has been found dead with multiple gunshot wounds in Nashville, along with a dead woman.

"Air" McNair, who played 13 years with the National Football League and was a quarterback for the Tennessee Titans, retired last year.

A pistol was found near the dead woman, aged 20, who had received a single shot to head, police said.

The bodies were found in a flat used by the former footballer, who was 36.

First reports said McNair had suffered a gunshot wound to the head but police quoted by the Associated Press said later that he had been "shot multiple times".

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron identified the woman as Sahel Kazemi, whom he called a "friend" of McNair's.

The footballer's wife, Mechelle, was "very distraught" and police do not believe she was involved, the spokesman added.

'One of the finest'

McNair led the Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St Louis Rams.

He also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008 after injuries.

"We don't know the details, but it is a terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to the families involved," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

Titans owner Bud Adams was "saddened and shocked" by news of McNair's death.

"He was one of the finest players to play for our organisation and one of the most beloved players by our fans," he said.

"He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8134784.stm

I don't watch American football anymore but I used to. However, this is extremely tragic news.

I'm sure this will be especially massive to the American members on this board.

36 years old, a wife and 4 kids. Shocking.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: R.I.P Steve 'Air' McNair
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2009 02:36:42 pm
      RIP Steve McNair

YNWA

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2009 02:54:44 pm
      Never heard of him but RIP lad.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Jul 09, 2009 08:53:16 pm
      RISP Steve McNair.

YNWA.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jul 09, 2009 11:05:01 pm
      Apparently it's his girlfriend that did it.

Something like the week before hand she was found DUI and she suspected that he was seeing another woman - shot him dead, before shooting herself. That's what's being reported at the moment I think anyway.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2009 01:33:25 am
      RIP Steve McNair
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #6: Jul 12, 2009 05:54:34 pm
      He was an awesome QB. Never won the Super Bowl but certainly legendary stats. Tremendous arm strength.  To put it into terms for people who dont know American Football. At both ends of the field are "Uprights", a little smaller than then the ones in Aussie Rules.

As a test of his arm strength during practice he once threw a football, with his arm, from the end zone through the uprights in the opposite end zone. 110 yds, in the air. That is almost superhuman.  He was one of the first elite, black QB's in NFL. 

He was shot by his girlfriend while he slept. She then shot herself in a murder suicide. Yes, girlfriend. He was having a little on the side.
      If you ever have the time try and watch the 2000 Superbowl. Titans v Rams. Easily one of the best games of all time and shows him in his prime.  Sad, real loss.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jul 12, 2009 07:24:30 pm

As a test of his arm strength during practice he once threw a football, with his arm, from the end zone through the uprights in the opposite end zone. 110 yds, in the air. That is almost superhuman.  He was one of the first elite, black QB's in NFL. 

justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 12, 2009 09:33:25 pm
      Shocking R.I.P 'Air'

Quick Reply