Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Wimbledon 2009

Read 29061 times
      jack
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 298 posts |
      Re: Wimbledon 2009
      Reply #115: Jul 05, 2009 07:44:03 pm
      I love federers atire he is such a world class professional.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #116: Jul 05, 2009 08:28:28 pm
      Good game but would have preferred Roddick to have won but none the less he gave a cracking effort!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #117: Jul 05, 2009 08:29:06 pm
      Good game but would have preferred Roddick to have won but none the less he gave a cracking effort!

He did indeed. Looked absolutely gutted in his post match interviews though, I don't blame him to be honest.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #118: Jul 05, 2009 11:32:28 pm
      Gutted for Roddick, really wanted him to win it. Really do think he deserves a Wimbledon title, and thought he was the better player today, but missed some huge points (them 4 set points in the second, 2 break points in the 5th set)

Really do hope he goes on to win more grand slams than the single US Open he has.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #119: Jul 06, 2009 03:09:48 am
      Shattered for him but more for me, i hate that Federer w**ker!!! 15-40 in the 5th at 8-8 or something and he didnt get one back to test Roger except for a swing volley over the net.

No way will he be the best ever. Those people who won their grand slams when you couldnt pick a winner are the true greats. Fed has only been challenged by an aging Sampras and Agassi but Rafa will knock him off his F***ing perch.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #120: Jul 06, 2009 07:29:08 am
      I really wanted Roddick to win it , he looked liked he wanted this Wimbledon more than Ferderer , he played better Ferderer looked like he couldn't be arsed the whole game , also his post match interview he was so confident he was going to win that his jacket had a 15 on it . To me he is a snob and I thought Roddick deserved it more and I hope Roddick wins more titles , but I do blame him though for loosing out on the second set being 6-2 up in the tie breaker . But anyways really gutted for Roddick though he tried his best .
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #121: Jul 06, 2009 04:25:44 pm
      Shattered for him but more for me, I hate that Federer w**ker!!! 15-40 in the 5th at 8-8 or something and he didnt get one back to test Roger except for a swing volley over the net.

No way will he be the best ever. Those people who won their grand slams when you couldnt pick a winner are the true greats. Fed has only been challenged by an aging Sampras and Agassi but Rafa will knock him off his f**king perch.
      I didn't mind Fed before this match, but after the match he was just so arrogant and when he was talking after it finished you could actually see Roddick thinking 'who the F**k does he think he is'

Im also deciding after that tournament that Roddick is my Tennis player! Go Roddick!!
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #122: Jul 06, 2009 04:55:47 pm
      I didn't mind Fed before this match, but after the match he was just so arrogant and when he was talking after it finished you could actually see Roddick thinking 'who the f**k does he think he is'

I think Roddick knows exactly who Federer is - the man who has won more grand slams than any other in history.

Regardless of standard of competition (as some have bemoaned), he has gone to these tournaments and won them.

He might be arrogant, he might be whoring himself for merchandise and branding (just the same as 90% of footballers btw) but he is the most successful, in terms of Major events, male tennis player ever.  Ever.  And he has a few more years left yet.

Nobody expects him to be liked by everyone, but I doubt Roddick or Pete Sampras belittle his achievements as some on here do.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #123: Jul 06, 2009 05:32:45 pm
      To me, Federer is the greatest sportsman outside of football and Liverpool in my lifetime.  After winning so many Grand Slams and dominating tennis as he did for so long, and even still is to an extent even though he's past his prime, who wouldn't be a little arrogant?  He believes he is the best and rightly so because he has been for years.  Some people say Nadal is better but will Nadal even dominate tennis like Federer has?  Simple answer, no.  Will no slam Murray?  I think not. 

To me Federer is elegant, a genius with the racket, great to watch and a great champion.  Of course Nadal has a better head to head and beat him in more Grand Slam finals but I'd still much prefer to watch Federer, great player that Nadal is.  Their rivalry is the best that I've ever witnessed and I can't wait to see Rafa return at the US Open if he does.

Back to the final yesterday, I gotta say Roddick really impressed me.  I had Federer in 4 but literally at the end of the second set thought Roddick looked much the better player and if he'd taken them set points he had in the tie-break, I could never have seen Roger come back from that and he even admitted himself, he thought the same thing.  Although he also said he thought he'd had Roddick after winning the third.  Arrogant little so and so :D

RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #124: Jul 06, 2009 06:32:43 pm
      I think Roddick knows exactly who Federer is - the man who has won more grand slams than any other in history.

Regardless of standard of competition (as some have bemoaned), he has gone to these tournaments and won them.

He might be arrogant, he might be whoring himself for merchandise and branding (just the same as 90% of footballers btw) but he is the most successful, in terms of Major events, male tennis player ever.  Ever.  And he has a few more years left yet.

Nobody expects him to be liked by everyone, but I doubt Roddick or Pete Sampras belittle his achievements as some on here do.
      Where did I belittle his achievments? The way he talked to Roddick and about himself after the game, what happened to humility? He himself knows how hard it is to lose such an epic final then he just turns round and says 'Look I lost it last year and came back and won, although I've got 5 others' Arrogance in the extreme.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #125: Jul 06, 2009 06:33:50 pm
      Where did I belittle his achievments? The way he talked to Roddick and about himself after the game, what happened to humility? He himself knows how hard it is to lose such an epic final then he just turns round and says 'Look I lost it last year and came back and won, although I've got 5 others' Arrogance in the extreme.

I agree. Roddick didn't look too happy with that at all.

I wanted Fed to win, but there's such a thing as a bad winner.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #126: Jul 06, 2009 06:40:04 pm

Umm it was Roddick who pointed out that Federer had already won it 5 times.  The way I interpreted it was Roger consoling him in saying that Roddick could come back and win it next year even though he lost in 5 sets this year and Roddick came up with a humerous response like he so often does by saying that Roger had already won it 5 times before.  I'll not deny that Federer is arrogant at times but I don't think this was one of them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #127: Jul 06, 2009 07:46:38 pm
      My hat goes of to both of them, really wanted Roddick to win though, felt sorry for him at the end
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #128: Jul 06, 2009 10:09:12 pm
      I don't think Federer is arrogant at all, I've always thought of him as well mannered and humble. He cares a great deal about winning these competitions but is always respectful to the loser in my opinion. Ther's alot more arrogant players than Fed but none better haha.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #129: Jul 06, 2009 10:48:04 pm
      Is it me or has every interview Fed has done since he won the final he has been like a little kid who has had way too many blue smarties?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #130: Jul 07, 2009 09:33:49 pm
      Watched the Men's final on holiday and I have to say it's got to be one of the best finals I have ever seen, both players gave it their all and it was a privilege to watch some superb tennis in very hot conditions.

It was a shame that someone had to lose, but Federer nudged it on the day, all credit to Roddick though, no wonder he was gutted after the game.
      He must be wondering what the hell he has to do to beat Federer.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #131: Jul 08, 2009 12:38:46 am
      Umm it was Roddick who pointed out that Federer had already won it 5 times.  The way I interpreted it was Roger consoling him in saying that Roddick could come back and win it next year even though he lost in 5 sets this year and Roddick came up with a humerous response like he so often does by saying that Roger had already won it 5 times before.  I'll not deny that Federer is arrogant at times but I don't think this was one of them.
      Will have to agree to disagree on this. IMO the look on Roddicks face after he says the bit where you say he is consoling him says all there is to say about it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #132: Jul 09, 2009 09:10:48 am
      I love the spin Roddick put on it though. 'Sorry Pete' not 'Well done, Roger'.

Roger = w**ker

As for those saying he has the right to be arrogant for being the best...no. Look no further than the club you people discuss on these boards. We're the most successful in England and i dont see how we take it beyond the expected banter between clubs.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #133: Jul 09, 2009 10:17:38 pm
      I love the spin Roddick put on it though. 'Sorry Pete' not 'Well done, Roger'.

Roger = W**ker

As for those saying he has the right to be arrogant for being the best...no. Look no further than the club you people discuss on these boards. We're the most successful in England and I dont see how we take it beyond the expected banter between clubs.

Sorry mate but that's bang out of order, Federer has taken a dip in form and just won back the Wimbledon title in style (well ok he could have done it in less sets) but Roddick is playing his best tennis right now and shows no signs of slowing.  Federer beat him fair and square and thoroughly deserves his record of 15 grand slams as he has been the most consistent player for at least the last 7+ years so to call him a w**ker is just childish, grow up!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #134: Jul 09, 2009 10:33:05 pm
      As for those saying he has the right to be arrogant for being the best...no. Look no further than the club you people discuss on these boards. We're the most successful in England and I dont see how we take it beyond the expected banter between clubs.

Good post AJ, totally agree.

And what are you saying here Crouchy, that Federer takes his arrogance beyond the expected banter between players on the tennis circuit?  Because the majority of people including past tennis legends, pundits and fans alike have nothing but admiration for Federer, his achievements, nice guy demeanor and humbleness.  The only hint of arrogance I note from Fed is when he talks about his achievements and I guess the jacket with the number 15 could count as arrogant but I doubt he'd have wore it if he lost and no one would have known he had it ;)

Like it or not Federer is the most successful male tennis player of all time and IMO only Laver and Borg have an argument against him over being the greatest of all time.  Then again, in Laver's time they played at a snails pace and Roger would have had enough time to make a cup of tea before returning serve. :P
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #135: Jul 09, 2009 10:46:55 pm
      Good post AJ, totally agree.

And what are you saying here Crouchy, that Federer takes his arrogance beyond the expected banter between players on the tennis circuit?  Because the majority of people including past tennis legends, pundits and fans alike have nothing but admiration for Federer, his achievements, nice guy demeanor and humbleness.  The only hint of arrogance I note from Fed is when he talks about his achievements and I guess the jacket with the number 15 could count as arrogant but I doubt he'd have wore it if he lost and no one would have known he had it ;)

Like it or not Federer is the most successful male tennis player of all time and IMO only Laver and Borg have an argument against him over being the greatest of all time.  Then again, in Laver's time they played at a snails pace and Roger would have had enough time to make a cup of tea before returning serve. :P

I loved the way Sue Barker pointed it out to him and I'm pretty sure he didn't even know it was there judging my his embarrassed face! bless
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #136: Jul 10, 2009 12:59:22 am
      Feds one of the nice guys of the game! Gracious in victory and defeat.. Look what Nadal did when he won, wouldn't see Fed climbing and jumping all over the walls of wimbledon. He's a classy guy..
      m0nkeysbrains
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 203 posts |
      Reply #137: Jul 13, 2009 06:43:03 pm
      Nah, Federer cries when he loses. Nadal had to comfort him after he won the last Australian Open!

Quick Reply