Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

A Newcastle fan writes....

Read 2312 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      A Newcastle fan writes....
      Feb 22, 2007 07:59:41 pm
      We received this email earlier. Thought I would share it with you here....

i am a newcastle fan

i am also disabled and 31 years old, that is relevant to this email

a friend of mine got me a ticket to the barcelona liverpool game,

i can walk but not that strongly and i was getting the fear about getting to my seat

there were elevators, but an incompetent barca hid this information from me despite my asking for it

i was reassured by many, mostly geordie friends,  that the scoucers would get me there,, you appear to have a good reputation.

having got to the ground the officials having a complete failure of intellect, confiscated my stick

still keeping it a secret that they had an elevators, i commenced my journey halfway to the moon

one of your fans, called greg, said 'don't worry mate, we'll get you to your seat, even if means carrying you on my back' thankfully this was not required, but i do not doubt him, not for a moment

having got to my seat the liverpool fans around me were fantastic, offering me coffee, snacks etc from the stalls

great result by the way

at the end i was left next to two gentlemen called john murphy and harry

they offered to help me get down i declined this, sitting on my own and waiting for my friend who was trying to get to me to help me down, they would not let him.

sitting on my own in the stands, the security guy who did not speak english, physically grabbed  me not listening to my protestations, not that they would have meant anything to him, and dragged me, me holding on to the chairs, i would say about 30 yards,

at this point john and harry, spotted this and came to my rescue, the four of us went to the elevator, this was the first time i had heard of its existence, to his credit the security guy was gutted when he realised the reality of the situation. hands were shaken when we parted.

the people running the ground were facists, and every time i tried to settle somewhere my friend could meet me, i was moved on, this is probably a good thing as there was no chance of my meeting my mate, he was forced in a given direction, no choce.

these two fellows i was with, who were in their seventies, stuck with me on a secuitous metro trip with three changes and those long underground tunnels finally seeing me in a cab.

i wanted to share this with you

i could have not higher esteem for your club and you fans, i hope you do it again.

best

pete straker
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Re: A Newcastle fan writes....
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2007 08:25:29 pm
      the thing that surprises me about this story is not the help & support that this gent recieved from liverpool's finest (that does not surprise me one little bit!), it is the total ineptitude, ignorance & insensitivity of the staff at one of the worlds premier sporting venues! how could this happen?! I feel sorry for your experience Pete & I hope that the kindness shown to you lives in your memory as the silver lining around the dark cloud that is the Camp Nou! also, I am positive that in a similar situation, the Geordie boys would have done exactly the same - not that you lot are getting into the Champions League any time soon ;D!

a friend of mine got me a ticket to the barcelona liverpool game,

....and i wish i had a friend this good!!
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007 08:33:44 pm by banksiemagic »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2007 08:49:24 pm
      the thing that surprises me about this story is not the help & support that this gent recieved from liverpool's finest (that does not surprise me one little bit!), it is the total ineptitude, ignorance & insensitivity of the staff at one of the worlds premier sporting venues! how could this happen?! I feel sorry for your experience Pete & I hope that the kindness shown to you lives in your memory as the silver lining around the dark cloud that is the Camp Nou! also, I am positive that in a similar situation, the Geordie boys would have done exactly the same - not that you lot are getting into the Champions League any time soon ;D!

....and I wish I had a friend this good!!

"I am positive that in a similar situation, the Geordie boys would have done exactly the same - not that you lot are getting into the Champions League any time soon ;D!"

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2007 08:53:22 pm
      Aww how sweet :)
      Cy
      Reply #4: Feb 23, 2007 10:28:24 am
      This is quite moving really, but I'm not surprise whatsoever by the incompetence of the staff over there. I spent lot's of time in Spain and one thing I have noticed it's the racism everywhere I went, at different level, shame really but when you see how the Henry story with the racism comment of the spanish coach has been dealt with...we cannot be surprise to see no change whatsoever in their attitude..It's the spanish crowd who still make monkeys noises..what a shame..

In the end Pete you had the last laugh, the english side beat them and you probably made news friends..YNWA
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2007 10:31:58 am by Cy »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Feb 23, 2007 12:20:27 pm
      Yeah it is quite moving to be honest.
      Its good to see a few Liverpool fans were generous enough to help out when the poor guy needed it.
      Round of applause for the guys.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Feb 23, 2007 05:14:41 pm
      Thanks for sharing JD. I'm not surprised at the nature of this but I am a tad bit more happy than I was before I read it... :)
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 23, 2007 08:38:31 pm
      Well done lads true Liverpool fans :action-smiley-035:
      pstrakes
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 24, 2007 11:43:30 am
      hi, this is Pete, the bloke this happened to, am touched that you all seem to give a shi*. so many people do not, whoever it as who said hope this is a silver lining, indeed it it, sometime the silver lining can overcome the cloud as it has done in this case.
      ps. the crowning moment in the day was  that upon contacting fc Barcelona they refused to taxi my walking stick back to my hotel, even when I said I would pay for it! they way you made them look I suspect they need it more than I. perhaps they wanted the 20 euros so much the loss of integrity didn't bother them, perhaps the though the integrity had gone with the coins and missiles having been thrown with blood on the face of my friend as a consequence of this.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2007 03:20:56 am by pstrakes »
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 27, 2007 01:55:34 am
      wow mate. ur a trooper. its amazing what people can do, and i'm glad it happend to you. anyone who gets a free ticket to anything should be treated nicely, and god bless those two who helped you that day. i don't know if any of you are religious, i am, but that is a true god moment in my book.

i guess god is a liverpool fan afterall!!!
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 27, 2007 11:27:13 am
      Are you sure wasn' t Dunk joke?

Quick Reply