Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Michael Owen - Should he stay or should he go?

Should he stay in jail with the barcodes?
      (56%)
      Or should we bail him out?
      (44%)

Michael Owen (Newcastle United)

Read 72133 times
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: Michael Owen (Newcastle United)
      Reply #506: Jun 28, 2009 08:37:42 pm
      Despite the harsh and honest things we have said if he wears a red jersey for us I will support him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #507: Jun 28, 2009 08:45:00 pm
      Despite the harsh and honest things we have said if he wears a red jersey for us I will support him.

Same here Mate
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #508: Jun 30, 2009 11:24:20 am
      Source Daily Star

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/86851/Owen-s-big-fat-Greek-pay-offer/

GREEK giants Olympiakos have launched a cheeky bid to sign Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

The Greek league and cup winners are offering Owen, 29, a bumper wage packet to quit the Premier League and move to Athens.

And they hope that the lure of Champions League football will persuade free agent Owen to ditch his plans to stay in England and head abroad.

Olympiakos have already landed Blackburn striker Matt Derbyshire and paid £2.5m for ex-Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg from Juventus.

But their move for Owen dwarfs those deals. They insist they will beat the wages on offer in England.
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #509: Jun 30, 2009 01:11:08 pm
      Micheal Owen is a proven goal-scorer, and prover goal-scorers don't lose their ability to put the ball in the back off the net, even when affected by injuries.

Micheal Owen would be the perfect back-up to Torres, and being on a free - is someone we should be looking to snap up.
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #510: Jun 30, 2009 01:15:03 pm
      Source Daily Star

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/86851/Owen-s-big-fat-Greek-pay-offer/

GREEK giants Olympiakos have launched a cheeky bid to sign Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

The Greek league and cup winners are offering Owen, 29, a bumper wage packet to quit the Premier League and move to Athens.

And they hope that the lure of Champions League football will persuade free agent Owen to ditch his plans to stay in England and head abroad.

Olympiakos have already landed Blackburn striker Matt Derbyshire and paid £2.5m for ex-Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg from Juventus.

But their move for Owen dwarfs those deals. They insist they will beat the wages on offer in England.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5407118,00.html

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #511: Jun 30, 2009 01:17:56 pm
      theres that one cleared up then ;D
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #512: Jun 30, 2009 06:23:06 pm
      dont want own back he left us as he thought he was good enough to play for a better team than us but back fired dont want him back would rather play voronin or even bring back baros
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #513: Jun 30, 2009 08:44:29 pm
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #514: Jun 30, 2009 08:49:15 pm
      Remember everybody he turned his back on us and left for a f***in snip
      not so cocky now ay Michael, short memory.
      I say spew it Michael
      albertdock
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #515: Jul 01, 2009 11:41:26 am
      I've just be reading on the BBC that MO is holding out for a move to the blueshite.
      I can't believe that the treacherous little sh*te would do such a thing?
      Can't see him getting anymore than £40,000 per week with them, if he's lucky!
      Glory_of_anfield_road
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #516: Jul 01, 2009 12:21:59 pm
      aint karma a bi*ch!
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #517: Jul 01, 2009 12:34:25 pm
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: i think that every team in the prem over the last year has beenlinked with owen he left us thinking he was to good but it back fired so no dont want him back rather play voronin
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #518: Jul 01, 2009 07:01:45 pm
      Well its just been on the North East News he has officially left Newcastle United and will not be joing up with the squad for Pre-Season
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #519: Jul 01, 2009 07:08:23 pm
      Even Sam Alardyce says he doesn't want him at Blackburn! And they are desperate for a striker! :D
      pool4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #520: Jul 01, 2009 10:10:18 pm
      I don't know about this one. Owen as always been about himself, so couple that with the fact that the British media hate Rafa, any of  Owens failings will be blamed on Rafa. They are gonna be calling for us to play with two strikers as soon as Owen scores two goals in the League Cup and mess up the team unity and we could become divided on the issue ala Keane. Like i said before Owen is about Owen and making the English team, he wont want to ride the pine cause he wont think he can make the english team riding the pine. We can't pay him to ride the pine. Its like an ex-girlfriend, she might not want to ride the pine. Don't do it, cut your losses and run.  Of course if he does come he will have my full support.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #521: Jul 01, 2009 11:01:26 pm
      I don't know about this one. Owen as always been about himself, so couple that with the fact that the British media hate Rafa, any of  Owens failings will be blamed on Rafa. They are gonna be calling for us to play with two strikers as soon as Owen scores two goals in the League Cup and mess up the team unity and we could become divided on the issue ala Keane. Like I said before Owen is about Owen and making the English team, he wont want to ride the pine cause he wont think he can make the english team riding the pine. We can't pay him to ride the pine. Its like an ex-girlfriend, she might not want to ride the pine. Don't do it, cut your losses and run.  Of course if he does come he will have my full support.

Riding the Pine ?

is he considering a change of a career as a lumberjack ?

who's your source ?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #522: Jul 02, 2009 01:41:22 am
      Coming off the bench I would prefer Michael Owen than Ngog because he has experience and is a proven goal scorer, if he hits form coming off the bench he would be a good impact player. Not to mention helping Ngog, Nemeth and other young strikers to play.
      In his hayday the only player equal to him was Thierry Henry, Liverpool will be good for him if we give him a chance. If we do sign him I will support him.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #523: Jul 02, 2009 01:48:47 am
      Coming off the bench I would prefer Michael Owen than Ngog because he has experience and is a proven goal scorer, if he hits form coming off the bench he would be a good impact player. Not to mention helping Ngog, Nemeth and other young strikers to play.
      In his hayday the only player equal to him was Thierry Henry, Liverpool will be good for him if we give him a chance. If we do sign him I will support him.

Thats if he made it to the bench uninjured, which would be a miracle in its own right! Owen struggled to stay fit at Newcastle who have their 38 leagye games and usually go out in the early rounds of the cups. They play no more than 45 games a season (and that would be a good season). We play our 38 league games. Make it to at least the QF of the Fa Cup and Carling cup and the last 8 at least in the Champions League. About 60+ games a season. There is no way Owen could be relied on to stay fit for the duration of a season with us!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #524: Jul 02, 2009 01:58:31 am
      He's English too, would help for the new rule.
      I see what you're saying but even if he only played half the games on the bench, he would be more dangerous than Ngog
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #525: Jul 02, 2009 02:06:29 am
      He's English too, would help for the new rule.
      I see what you're saying but even if he only played half the games on the bench, he would be more dangerous than Ngog

I don't get people worried about if a player is english or not. The 6+5 rule doesn't look like it will happen in my opinion. Club football as a whole would suffer. UEFA get more money out of the Champions League and Europa League than any of their other international tournaments. They would stand against it. UEFA are the second biggest football organisation in the world. FIFA can't afford to upset them really.

I think that by bringing back Owen you're going to stop the development of players like Nemeth, Pacheco and N'Gog. We need to develop the present and future of the club.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #526: Jul 02, 2009 02:32:44 am
      I don't get people worried about if a player is english or not. The 6+5 rule doesn't look like it will happen in my opinion. Club football as a whole would suffer. UEFA get more money out of the Champions League and Europa League than any of their other international tournaments. They would stand against it. UEFA are the second biggest football organisation in the world. FIFA can't afford to upset them really.

I think that by bringing back Owen you're going to stop the development of players like Nemeth, Pacheco and N'Gog. We need to develop the present and future of the club.

We still need to put in 3 home-grown players. Owen is believe it or not suitable for that.

About developing the youngsters, we need a proven backup striker regardless, if it's Owen or whoever else, anyone will hinder the youngsters by your logic. So, Owen or not, that's not a point to be arguing around.

Besides, I think the 6+5 rule is a good one if it's implied. Real Madrid for example will just not participate in CL ;D (unless they buy our Armada -_-). The rule will MAKE clubs look after their academy players, and that's just a great thing for me. Did you see any "okey" English keeper recently, or say a new young defensive midfielder? It's for the good of the game. I guess this is better suited for a different thread for me to discuss so sorry for irrelevancy.
      pool4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #527: Jul 02, 2009 02:49:38 am
      Riding the Pine ?

is he considering a change of a career as a lumberjack ?

who's your source ?
      No what happened was I spoke to Torres and he told me we only play with one striker predominantly and he got that spot on lock, so if Owen return he is heading for the pine, predominantly.
      proud2blfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #528: Jul 02, 2009 02:58:46 am
      Maybe we need to look deeper into Owens constant injury problems and try and find out the cause,it was only after joining Newcastle did his real injury problems start so could Liverpools physios do a better job and rebuild his strength?.Can his speed be worked on again?.From the bench or in the starting line up Owen is still a proven goal scorer and that is something we are slightly lacking at the moment.Add to the mix no huge transfer fee and i see Owen as still a good transfer option at this time.

Quick Reply