Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 364901 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #184: Jul 16, 2009 09:09:11 am
      I can't wait to see him line up in a full strength line up as I think he will be more impressive surrounded by a better class of team, no disrespect to the young lads etc, I just think it will be intresting to see him playing in a stronger unit.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #185: Jul 16, 2009 10:41:32 am
      I'll be more reserved on him. I want to see how he fits in with our defence in the league and Champions League on a regular basis.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #186: Jul 16, 2009 11:28:17 am
      Far too early to judge of course.

The promise is there, but I think it's best not too say too much until he's had a good few competitive matches against stronger opposition.
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #187: Jul 16, 2009 11:30:43 am
      He is just the best!!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #188: Jul 16, 2009 11:31:37 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #189: Jul 16, 2009 11:33:12 am
      Was going to say! :D
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #190: Jul 16, 2009 12:53:28 pm
      Glen had a really good game yesterday, for how long he got. He looks the part, nice touch, nice trickery and great delivery and pace. I think he'll be a great signing for us!!

Despite the high price, im glad we have him in our side!!
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #191: Jul 16, 2009 12:55:49 pm
      Few good runs last night looks really good
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #192: Jul 16, 2009 01:43:08 pm
      He did look confident on the ball and had a few decent touches, could turn out to be a good buy but I'll wait until we see him play in a competitive game.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #193: Jul 16, 2009 01:50:05 pm
      Despite only seeing a mere 10 minutes of highlights I was very impressed with what he did.

His delivery into the box was excellent, there was a cross which was pinpoint but a pity Lucas couldn't quite convert it. I think his crossing is one of the best around in the country really. I saw him playing for England and I was impressed with the choices he makes on the ball as well.

It is also good for him going forward. He might just be our Yossi in defence. I think that sometimes when teams come here to park the bus, people like Glen can just neglect their defensive duties, go on a run and also send in crosses that will penetrate the opposition. What I feel about Glen though, is that he is a creative player. Also from his words he is a player with posivity, and also has a winning mentality.

He can cover at both left-back and right-back. And it was impressive that he played leftback with ease. Also this surely means he can play at left flank and right flank, and I remember him saying towards the end of last season he played in attacking midfield for Pompey. Very versatile.

However, I am not going to get too carried away, but for the moment I'll just say that he might be the missing jigsaw to turn those draws into wins.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #194: Jul 16, 2009 01:57:23 pm
      I agree with redsonfire, as I recall people stating that Keane was the "missing link" and he never got the chance to show it, and when he did he never raised any roof!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #195: Jul 16, 2009 01:58:33 pm
      The jury is out!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #196: Jul 16, 2009 02:06:03 pm
      I agree with redsonfire, as I recall people stating that Keane was the "missing link" and he never got the chance to show it, and when he did he never raised any roof!

Off topic, but -

I never really rated Keane TBH, it wouldn't work well because what I thought was that it was only going to break that telepathic partnership with Gerrard.  Despite the fact that Keane is a good player, he was someone who would get into Torres' way, and they would often end up fighting for the same ball that Gerrard passes. I'll go further to say with the departure of Keane it was better for the club and it lifted the club's morale to push for the title. Don't forget this lad was Rick's signing.

But Glen is Rafa's signing and with big money transfers he rarely gets it wrong. How many people were critisizing Torres' poor conversion rate, inability to score more than 20 goals in the La Liga etc. But did Rafa listen to them, no! And look, in just probably 1 season later, Torres is probably the best striker, complete striker on earth.

The same goes to Glen. Some people may critisize him but it is up to the player to choose his path at Anfield. Be it good or bad everyone will be given an equal chance. Like I said, I'm not going to get carried away, but with our formation set up in the fullbacks' favour, Glen might just prove to be a very astute and shrewd signing.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #197: Jul 16, 2009 02:24:59 pm
      One thing he has proven his worthiness to us...he ditched the mega money Chelsea and Man City offered to him to play with us...but i'll reserve any further judgement on this lad as he only played one game for us against a much weaker team, so let see how good he'll perform during Madrid game and I hope he will excel.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #198: Jul 16, 2009 02:49:06 pm

Wonder what the odds are on Johnson scoring more than Keane? :D
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #199: Jul 16, 2009 02:52:33 pm
      Wonder what the odds are on Johnson scoring more than Keane?

Evens.  :f_tongueincheek:

Nah, in all seriousness, I thought Glen showed some quality last night. He linked well with Plesis which I liked to see. Good touch, and considering he was out of position, played well.

Let's see how he fares against better opposition, in a full strength squad.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #200: Jul 16, 2009 05:58:10 pm
      My opinion on Glen Johnson isn't on what he does for Liverpool in pre season, my opinion is on how he did last season. He is an outstanding full back and its only a matter of time before the doubters on here agree, I could name a few but I won't bother.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #201: Jul 16, 2009 06:14:54 pm
      Agree mate he was really good last season and won best goal of last season he can play left or right back or even right and left midfield we have been needing a player like that for a while now and am glad we got him a bit to dear but what do you expect an England International and as soon as a top 4 team are linked with a player from a crap prem team they put they double the price tag of the player
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #202: Jul 17, 2009 06:19:16 am
      Voted MOM on the official website, i would agree to. Although to early to pass proper judgement, made a great start and looked comfortable in the jersey also :)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #203: Jul 17, 2009 06:30:20 am
      Yea I didnt see the match so cant comment but I would not be quick to sing his praises. We need to see him on a regular basis put in a few solid performances against stroger sides.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #204: Jul 17, 2009 01:10:57 pm
      Wonder what the odds are on Johnson scoring more than Keane? :D

I'll give ya odds on of 2-1!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #205: Jul 17, 2009 08:46:54 pm
      If the way he played the other night is anything to go by then we can look forward to a real talent, who may be worth every penny in the long run, I hope so...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #206: Jul 18, 2009 02:51:50 pm
      Looking forward to see how he plays tomorrow

Quick Reply